Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

TBF II Race, Granite Bay

I did my very 1st mtb race this morning at Granite Bay. It was fun, wet, windy and muddy! But mostly fun....

I didn't know Granite Bay's sandy, decomposed granite soil, could get that muddy.

Here's the MotionBased link ....http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5037730

I finally met and talked a bit with Zon after the race....Any other mtbr's join in on the fun today?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice job, was planning on doing the TBF race today, but I whimped out due to the weather. Your a real Man!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like great fun! If you had to do it all again in same weather conditions, would you wear jacket and try to stay dry, or is that just a pointless no-win battle and just ride with a jersey? Looks like a jacket would just collect a ton of mud, as would glasses.

mtbr member

That was tough

Tough race this morning. I was metal on metal on the brakes starting in the middle of the second lap, so no brakes for the last 10 miles. I would sit on the top tube and drag my feet or have to walk the more technical sections. i also somehow broke two spokes and had my rear wheel rubbing on the frame for some of it, about a lap and a half. It was tough!! As to the previous poster i wore a base layer, short sleeve jersey with arm warmers and a sleeveless vest. I ended up mid pack in the SS open class. Not my best showing. The shower at home felt awesome.

mtbr member
    I enjoyed the race. I took third in the Novice 30-39. It was my second race.
    I was a muddy mess at the end. My jacket which I unzipped part way during the first lap will not zip up or down now. To much mud/sand in it.
    My rear brake pads are shot. My front brake pads will not last another ride. I just replaced the front pads and got one ride out of them.

It is odd that I paid money to ride in conditions I wouldn't ride for free. But I loved it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I raced open ss finished mod pack as well. Felt good first lap, attacked on the first climb to try to catch the leaders. I got them in sight, but couldn't reel them in. Next race i guess I will have to punch it right out of the gate.

Fat Guy Riding
    Yup, I was out there - I was a spot or two behind rockymtnrider in Novice 30-39, my second race as well. Congrats on the podium! I was the guy on the black Stumpjumper that started right next to you - Kept you guys in sight for the first half of the first lap, then I didn't have anything for ya...

Brakes are shot front and rear on my bike, but oh man, what a fun ride today. I took a digger in one of the soft corners about midway through the first lap, shin landed on a rock. Felt fine, so I finished the race. Got done and peeled off my pants to find a hole in my shin down to the bone. Spend 4 hours at Roseville Kaiser for a good cleaning (it had a bunch of muck in it) and some stitches...

See you guys again in 3 weeks!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    In a word,, sufferfest. But still enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way. Don't know how I did yet as I missed my start by 1.5 minutes, and still managed to gap a bunch of single speeders. Oh well.. lesson learned, don't stop to take a pee just before the start.

Good meetin' ya Brainstump. Way to go on your first race!

mtbr member
    i made it to one of these last year, but i haven't ridden at all near to what i would have needed to compete. that course was a bunch of fun, and it was muddy/gross last year, too!

It's about showing up.

The EC Racing Club had 8 riders and my son raced, too.

The rain was nearly horizontal and riders coming up the backstretch into the wind moved like they were going uphill. Awesome performance by everyone.
    I ran into Rockymountain Rider who really laid it down. I was impressed with how he came to race and he got a very nice result.
    The race for my team riders was just a tune-up and rust-shaker and they all did well. I didn't even see their results but debriefed them for attitudes on bike performance and their general feeling. Underlayers, jersey, and jacket, tights/knickers were standard with my crew and everyone was comfortable. Brakes were toast and chainsuck was noted. One cramp. I have to say I am very proud of how well our racers hold up in public races.
    This was the first race for my wife, though I have coached for 6 years and 50 races, our son Miguel was racing and that is a very different story. Miguel (in red) took his category. He had no brakes on that modest downhill and had to drag his feet. He had a great first race .I have to go and buy new brake pads tomorrow.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 02-24-2008 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    If you had to do it all again in same weather conditions, would you wear jacket and try to stay dry, or is that just a pointless no-win battle and just ride with a jersey? Looks like a jacket would just collect a ton of mud, as would glasses.
    My original thought was I would wear my “rain suit” just for the warm up. But, by the time I got back from taking a pee, my group was already lined up and ready to start. I ended up wearing a short sleeve base layer, with a long sleeve jersey over that, and the rain jacket. On bottom I had shorts and leg warmers with rain pants over that. It turned out to be just right as far as keeping me warm. But it kinda felt like I was wearing a parachute heading into the wind. When I took all my riding clothes off after the race, I swear the plastic bag I placed them in must have weighed over 5 pounds! In retrospect, I think I would have been warm enough without the rain jacket and pants…. and much more aerodynamic!. I knew glasses would be pointless before I even started. You wouldn’t have been able to see the second you hit the first puddle.

That wind was brutal. Even though I purposely drafted others riders in the exposed area heading south toward the start/finish area, I didn’t have anything left to try and ride through that 1st sand pit.

My eyes are red and sore from all the mud and sand. I’m still trying to get the rest of the dirt out!!

My 2 week old brake pads are definitely worn down, but still good for a while. Even with a new drive train, I still had a problem with chain suck on both laps after going through the big pond, just before you cross the paved road.

See ya’ll on March 16th for TBF #3. Hopefully we will have a nice, clear, and warm day! With super fast tacky trails.

It was nice to finally meet you Zon. When’s the next “Flea Ride?”

,,,,,I did manage 1st in the Old Guy/Novice 50-59 group! But I don’t think there were very many of us old geezers!

Great effort everyone!!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    ...It was nice to finally meet you Zon. When’s the next “Flea ride?”...

I was hoping to do one in March however, I am haveing a bit of difficulty finding a boat driver. Know anyone with a boat???

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did one of these races a couple years ago and after spending over 60.00 to replace the worn brake pads, outer and inner cables, chain not to mention the hours of cleaning grit and re-greasing the headset, bottom bracket, hubs and so on.

I would not race there in the rain again. It was not worth it.

It's about showing up.

Pix of a Novice Start

Since there were a couple of guys who posted here in this start I thought you'd like to see it. Everyone looks so clean!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    I was hoping to do one in March however, I am haveing a bit of difficulty finding a boat driver. Know anyone with a boat???
    The boat driver (or his wife?) finally fired us???? Dang. Sorry. We'll just have to do BR - Peninsula and back, or some other variation.

Congrats racers. I wasn't thinking of you while I was ripping over 2 feet of fresh pow today

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Since there were a couple of guys who posted here in this start I thought you'd like to see it. Everyone looks so clean!
    Thanks! That's me, #95...

It's about showing up.

I thought so

pm me your email address and I will send you the full file and you can print it up.

feeling squirrelly
    You guys are my heroes! I decided it was much too early in the season to suffer through another muddy disaster of a race, so I went snowboarding instead. It was so flippin' awesome at Sierra that I didn't even feel bad about kissing my pre reg fee goodbye. Best of all, my bike is still in perfect working condition all snuggly dry in the garage ready for the sun to return tomorrow.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by otbp_nocal
    The boat driver (or his wife?) finally fired us???? Dang. Sorry. We'll just have to do BR - Peninsula and back, or some other variation.

Congrats racers. I wasn't thinking of you while I was ripping over 2 feet of fresh pow today

I was thinking the same thing,, Dike 8 to Penisuala and back would be a nice 60 or so. Bonus,,, two chances to say hi to Michael at falcon Crest!!

feeling squirrelly
    I was thinking the same thing,, Dike 8 to Penisuala and back would be a nice 60 or so. Bonus,,, two chances to say hi to Michael at falcon Crest!!
    We could do the Breakouts trifecta, Dyke 8 to Granite Bay to Hazel Loop and back to Dyke 8 (where we started the flea ride) I know it wouldn't be the flea ride but something different for kicks. Otbp and I have done that before, it's a good loop. Long but not too taxing. About 50ish miles??? I think...

mtbr member
    ,,, two chances to say hi to Michael at falcon Crest!!
    HA HA HA HA!!! Prick of the decade.

mtbr member
    how about dyke 8 to salmon falls, climb to top of flagstaff, down to rattlesnake bar and return. that would be a killer.

mtbr member
    Way to go everyone, hope to see you in March.

mtbr member

Race results are up...

Race results and pictures are up: http://www.tbfracing.com/results/res...e_OVERALL.html

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was too chicken to go..........I didnt want to get my bike dirty

Actually I was there at race I and trashed my rear drive train. It was fun, but I wasnt interested in doing it in the rain and wind. Just rain, I may have went for it.

For all you that went and rode, you a better man than me, or uhhhh woman.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast