mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Tamarancho suggestions?

I'm thinking of hitting the flow trail tomorrow and would like a few suggestions on extending out the ride. I'm looking to bang out over 30 miles if not longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can make 2 laps on Tamarancho with multiple laps on the flow trail and then ride to Pine Mountain via White Hill Fire Road. That'd be around 30 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteClimbing View Post
    You can make 2 laps on Tamarancho with multiple laps on the flow trail and then ride to Pine Mountain via White Hill Fire Road. That'd be around 30 miles.
    Thanks, but I was hoping that some of the ridges would connect and allow a bigger ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, here's another option.

Mountainbike Tour San Rafael | Big Rock to Tamarancho | GPSies

Park on Lucas Valley Road near the freeway. There's a park and ride. Ride up Chicken Ranch or Queenstone to Big Rock. Head down to Loma Alta and over to Tamarancho. Do the loop and up and down flow as many times as you want. Head back over to Lucas Valley on the 680 trail. It's mostly trail and only a little bit of road on Lucas Valley. It mapped out to be 30.13 miles and 6100'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Park in Fairfax at deer park up to 5 corners ,concrete pipe to Fairfax /Bolines rd.up to Pine Mt ,to San germanio ridge,down to Tamarancho /flow loop around the camp flow again ,down to Iron Springs rd back to deer park .Maybe a little more that 30 miles.

mtbr member
    there are tons of options. from tamarancho you've got easy access to pine mtn, loma alta, mt tam, big rock ridge, bolinas ridge... google the mmwd trail map and go to town.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm thinking of hitting the flow trail tomorrow and would like a few suggestions on extending out the ride. I'm looking to bang out over 30 miles if not longer.
    I'd recommend getting the Pine Mountain loop in the ride somehow, there are a few ways to connect it. Any decnt map of the area will show you some options. Not sure of the routing, but I think you could get Repack in there too, as it lies between them. Pretty fun to run one of the pioneering MB trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think follow this: Pine Mountain Loop - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides until you get to White Hill Fire Road. From there you turn left on White Hill. Then you go until you hit B17 Extension and turn right. From there you will end up at the top of the Flow trail. Hit Flow trail a few times and then do the Tamarancho loop. Go back to the top of Flow trail and back up to White Hill Fireroad and go back the way you came. When you get back to San Geronimo Fireroad you turn left and finish up the ride described in the bayarearides.com page. That should be easily 30+ miles with 6K elevation.
    That sound about right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This map actually shows how you link it up if you scroll around.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...11245,0.024569

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'd volunteer to give you a tour but, I haven't been on the bike much. I'm not sure I'd make 30 miles I do know the trails though Your a Santa Cruz guy, right? Maybe you could show me around?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I think follow this: Pine Mountain Loop - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides until you get to White Hill Fire Road. From there you turn left on White Hill. Then you go until you hit B17 Extension and turn right. From there you will end up at the top of the Flow trail. Hit Flow trail a few times and then do the Tamarancho loop. Go back to the top of Flow trail and back up to White Hill Fireroad and go back the way you came. When you get back to San Geronimo Fireroad you turn left and finish up the ride described in the bayarearides.com page. That should be easily 30+ miles with 6K elevation.
    That sound about right?
    See ya tomorrow Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I'd volunteer to give you a tour but, I haven't been on the bike much. I'm not sure I'd make 30 miles I do know the trails though Your a Santa Cruz guy, right? Maybe you could show me around?
    I would be glad to show you some of the fun stuff in SC. Just let me know when...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up doing the Pine Loop with some Flow added. This ride was good for 24 miles and 4,300 feet, which was plenty in this heat.

HTFU!
    Rode Tamarancho for the first time two weeks ago. Had big plans to do a loop, hit the flow section a few times then ride fire-roads to Mt. Tam and get 30+ miles in. Unfortunately, a few miles in, it was clear I was not recovered from the recent 24 as my hands, feet and butt were still a bit sore. So we cut it short with just over 16 miles of Tamarancho and fire roads. Would have been better off just hitting a couple loops of Tamarancho...still, I enjoyed myself and the trail. Thanks to those who poured their BS&T into that trail.

Good times!

Tamarancho suggestions?-043.jpg
    Tamarancho suggestions?-045.jpg
    Tamarancho suggestions?-047.jpg
    Tamarancho suggestions?-050.jpg