Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tamarancho Flow Trail Party - if you live in the Bay Area you should show up

11K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  digthemlows 
#1 ·
#12 ·
These days, I only take single speed 29er to Tamarancho

Many locals also use rigid, I use FOX Fork as my body is getting thrashed. If you are set up 29er, 32 x 20 is perfect. Figure 2 or 3 hours to do both loops at casual pace, meeting a few people, eat snack, session a few jumps(not many, but good ones) etc (Strava if you need to see fast times).

#14 ·
Yeah its rain or shine. Forecast says it will be drying out early afternoon. The tunes might not be as loud since apparently the sound system can't get wet. Expecting a lot of people.

Last work day since it was too wet we did some prepping work down the hill clearing the first layer of duff. So be prepared for not digging an awesome berm or roller. However the rain is not nearly as bad this time.

Having experienced builders who know how to finish rollers berms and other features will be awesome. So if you are at all interested check it out. Hopefully we will get a for sure dry day and we can plan on dirt feature work. It may not be this Sunday but there will be many more this winter and spring.

#15 ·
Sounds Killer either way!
Tamo has needed this for a looooooooooooooooong time.
Great ride, but could step it up a bit IMHO.
And this sounds like it's just the start!!
I'll be there early like, 8-9 o clock, rain or shine, probably setting up the cable cam before we start diggggin. :cornut::cornut::cornut:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

#16 ·
With the stated policy at Tamarancho of "when it rains, let it drain," I was thinking of driving to center of camp and walking down to the work site - instead of riding. Dumb question: what is the best way to do that - I've never driven to the center of the camp? I.e., where exactly do I drive to and park? And from there, what trail/fire road is the quickest way to the B-17/Broken Dam intersection?

#17 ·
Driving and walking is pretty easy. The best way to do it is to drive to Whites Hill near Brown Bridge and hike up porcupine to the top of the B-17 ext and then hike down. If you drive into camp on Iron Springs Road please be respectful of the caretaker. He lives right at the first set of buildings you get to. Those buildings are the "ranger station". That is the best place to park but it is a long walk from the center of camp. The fastest way is whites hill

#18 ·
I also wanted to say we may run short of trail tools. I want everyone to have a good time and make it easy to ride in (carrying a trail tool in is the pits). However if you can bring a shovel or a rake (a Mcloud is best) please do. Since it will be muddy I don't know if we can do much finishing work: tamping and shaving berms and rollers. This is still a great chance to meet everyone and let us know if you have some feature building experience. We can really use your help and if the weather is good you can move plenty of dirt.

#22 ·
Went out there today, helped, had a great time, and let me tell you, an incredible thing is about to happen at Tamo.
A great session area off of B-17 is developing and it will be the Shidizzle!
Really good and Really pro!
Awesome, long, Flow trail with sweet berms and jumps!!
Jim, Kevin, and Dave are doing a incredible job.
Go check it out.
Help out when you can.
Lots more to do before it's finished.
It's hard work but the payoff will be something Marin doesn't have, but has needed for a Loooooong time.
Thank you BSA Tamo!!
GoGo

Attachments

#24 ·
Flow trail drainage?

As an old Tamarancho dirt devil, I look forward to some new action in camp. But my experience with soft earth, and the effects of gravity & heavy rain makes me wonder about the sustainability of a grade like this. How will this weather the elements? Looks like it might become a rutted watercourse over time.

Attachments

#25 ·
As an old Tamarancho dirt devil, I look forward to some new action in camp. But my experience with soft earth, and the effects of gravity & heavy rain makes me wonder about the sustainability of a grade like this. How will this weather the elements? Looks like it might become a rutted watercourse over time.
Fairfaxian. Please, do come up and check out the trail. I would love to speak with you and hear about the original trail projects. We have so much respect for the guys who started the Tamarancho MTB tradition.

Your question is really great. It is a good one and it shows that mountain bikers really care about the environment! :thumbsup: The trail does indeed cover some steep grades because we needed to respect a BSA camp site. The trail was routed around a camp site in the best way possible to keep the trail out of site of a camp. This presented a challenge and the trail is being built in a unique way that handles rain very well. Grade reversals are everywhere. These direct water flow so the trail is not harmed. It is hard to tell from the photo but there are two grade reversals visible. These drain the trail without waterbars or benching. In fact the trail shed water so well in the photo you selected that we were able to finish the berms and tamp the trail bed, further protecting it. The new trail is more of a drainage system that happens to be a trail. It is much different than any public trail in Marin. During the hike out we noticed a lot of problems with the traditionally designed open space trails that have sections without drainage 40 to 100 feet long. The flow trail has drainage every 10 - 20 feet. Keep in mind Jim has been closely supervising our work. Give us a chance and I think we will prove that mountain bike trails could be more sustainable than a hiking trail :D

I think it would be great if you came out to say hello this week. If it isn't raining I will be there. I would love to give you a tour. This next weekend you will see a lot of motivated "new school" crew. These guys are super stoked on helping at Tamarancho and ensuring that your legacy lives on for another generation or two.

#27 ·
I didn't know what to expect when showing up to Tamo on Sunday. I gotta say, I was blown away by what is happening here. What Davey + crew have managed to get going is really special. If you haven't seen it- come see it for yourself. The new flow trail will undoubtedly set a new standard for what a legal trail can be. I'm penciling Saturday in as another dig day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.