I'm really diggin it!

The Tamarancho Flow Trail is closed, all of it.

Due to recent rain we are closing the flow trail until May 1st. This includes the top section. This section of trail needs a break. It got ridden a lot by people who did not help us very much. If everyone that rode the trail just spent a few minutes tamping and shaping with the shovels that are already up there we could reopen the top section by this weekend but I'm guessing that wont happen.

It is only a few weeks until the entire trail is open from top to bottom. If you come and help we could open before then. Weather permitting.

There will be work days this Saturday and Sunday.

mtbr member
    I will see you then, thanks.

Dropshot Champ!
    was up there sunday and it was puddles everywhere, so we decided not to ride it. Progress looks great...that bowl turn is HUGE!

keep up the great work.

It's about showing up.
    Good call. I ma hopeful for cooperation.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Davey,

It's been well over a year since my one visit to Tamarancho, so I haven't actually seen any of the flow trail, but I was wondering what kinds of signage you have up regarding the current status of the trail? I understand it's frustrating to feel as though you're the only one breaking your back over building the trail, but do the riders have a clear understanding of the current status of this in-progress trail?

My brother and I were riding in Auburn a few weeks ago for the first time. We were wrapping up our ride and heading down the Culvert Trail (which a local had recommended to us minutes before) and we came upon a lot of trail work. No signage warning against riding it at the top, yet it felt like at least a couple of the trail workers were quite annoyed as we slowly rolled through, and walked certain portions of it. One even mentioned "feel free to pick up a shovel." I do recall a permanent looking sign mentioning work on the new trail, but no signs setup before work started warning of trail closure at the top.

A sign describing the day's work/trail status would have helped out greatly in my opinion. I'm not sure if you guys have one already, but it could help.

I'm really diggin it!
    The signage is extensive. We also placed caution tape barriers every 50 feet or so. Hopefully this will be clear for most mountain bikers and so much of a pain to ride that it will stop the few who will poach the trail anyway.

You do however make a good point. There is a perception problem between trail builders and mountain bikers. Not saying that one can't both be a mountain biker and a trail builder at the same time, that would be the ideal mountain biker. The people doing the trail work understand the importance of doing the work and wrongly assume that the people riding understand the importance of the work. A lot of mountain bikers assume many things about trail work, someone else will do it, someone will get paid to do it, I am not needed for this effort anyhow etc.

Most people who do trail work will show up at every build day and drive for hours to make an advocacy meeting. A lot of the people who just ride mountain bikes or even more specifically those who take riding very seriously will rarely make it out to the trail days. Riding is important to them and they don't understand the connection between riding and making sure the trails they ride are maintained.

I'm hopeful that this thread will turn into a discussion on why we shouldn't ride in the rain and why doing trail work and turning up at the advocacy meetings is equally as important as riding mountain bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrk07 View Post
    Davey,

It's been well over a year since my one visit to Tamarancho, so I haven't actually seen any of the flow trail, but I was wondering what kinds of signage you have up regarding the current status of the trail? I understand it's frustrating to feel as though you're the only one breaking your back over building the trail, but do the riders have a clear understanding of the current status of this in-progress trail?

My brother and I were riding in Auburn a few weeks ago for the first time. We were wrapping up our ride and heading down the Culvert Trail (which a local had recommended to us minutes before) and we came upon a lot of trail work. No signage warning against riding it at the top, yet it felt like at least a couple of the trail workers were quite annoyed as we slowly rolled through, and walked certain portions of it. One even mentioned "feel free to pick up a shovel." I do recall a permanent looking sign mentioning work on the new trail, but no signs setup before work started warning of trail closure at the top.

A sign describing the day's work/trail status would have helped out greatly in my opinion. I'm not sure if you guys have one already, but it could help.

mtbr member
    I have tomorrow (Friday) off. Is there any work happening then I could volunteer for? Are wet trails good for building, or do you need to let them dry a bit
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

I'm really diggin it!

Tomorrow we will be on site at noon. Sandor needs help with the log ride area. Separate, but equally as cool as the entire flow trail.

Here is our humble beginning. This work is entirely done by one person. Imagine what we could do with a dozen or more. Now is the time to get up off your couch and make the Bay Area a premier riding destination.

mtbr member
    I kinda think if you preach about how important trail work is you will only get so far. Perhaps if you add that it's actually a lot of fun there would be more responses. You get to go into the woods and dig in the dirt and build fun stuff with a bunch of cool people. Afterwards you hang out and drink a beer or two and sometimes you get some riding in.

For me trail work is not only all that but a free work out that hits muscles you don't use so much for biking.

Another thing is once you've done some trail work you can do a little thing here and there while you're out on your own that helps. Rather than riding past that clogged drainage take a minute and a stick and unclog it. You don't have to clear the silt down the base layer but just enough for the standing water to drain out.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another recommendation beside talking about how fun it is, make it abundantly clear when, where, and what is involved with building days. Don't make people search for information, barrage them with it. "There will be work days this Saturday and Sunday" doesn't tell prospective help what time to show up, what tools they may/may not need, if they need to pay to get into the park, etc. I know this all might be information you figure people know, but some don't. Where is the Flow Trail in Tamarancho? Do I drive there, do I hike there, do I ride there?

If all this information has been posted in the past, sweet, post it again. Don't make people search it out because they won't. People are lazy. Put it on your Facebook page so it's always accessible/linkable.

Also, put the flow trail Facebook link in your signature.

Just some suggestions, keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will be up there this weekend, assuming Grey cooperates. Good to see you last night.

Nate

mtbr member
    Another recommendation beside talking about how fun it is, make it abundantly clear when, where, and what is involved with building days. Don't make people search for information, barrage them with it. "There will be work days this Saturday and Sunday" doesn't tell prospective help what time to show up, what tools they may/may not need, if they need to pay to get into the park, etc. I know this all might be information you figure people know, but some don't. Where is the Flow Trail in Tamarancho? Do I drive there, do I hike there, do I ride there?

If all this information has been posted in the past, sweet, post it again. Don't make people search it out because they won't. People are lazy. Put it on your Facebook page so it's always accessible/linkable.

Agreed. This is exactly the stuff I need to know...
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

I'm really diggin it!

Thanks for the feedback.

The Facebook page is www.facebook.com/tamoflow

Donation page www.tamoflow.org

The meeting spot has berm posted here so many times I can no longer post the image file via tapatalk

No tools needed no pay needed IF YOU WORK

IMHO you should always buy a Tamaracho pass, who else supports this kind of thing?

mtbr member
    Your a good man DS. It sounds like people want the specifics...like if your hiking in park here, hike to here then here....

Where the heck is this Dead Hiefer Fire road for instance..?

The Tamarancho Flow Trail is closed, all of it.-tamo_flow_info.jpg

mtbr member
    Me too. I assume that even its raining or sprinkling, we will still be working?

I'm cool with that.

Please let all of us know.

PS. The only way I've been near the work site, is to go up and around Wagon Wheel. If it's pouring rain, is there a shortcut?

Thanks in advance.

I'm really diggin it!
    Heavy rain = no work. My phone number is the one listed on the facebook site and it is always a good idea to check with me if there will be a work day.

We can't have people drive in. There isn't enough parking and it is just a hassle. That is why you are not meant to drive in when you ride the Tamarancho loop.

So you have two options ride in or hike in. Hike in, it is best to drive up to Whites Hill and take Whites Hill trail to Porcupine trail to White Hill Fire Road to B-17 Ext.

Ride in, is easy just ride the loop counter clockwise, be prepared for some idiocy in the form of oncoming traffic, to B-17. BTW there is no mandatory loop direction. Uphill traffic always has rights. Be courteous blah blah blah.

If you have ridden the Tamarancho loop you have ridden Dead Heifer fire road. The short section of fire road on Broken Dam trail, that is Dead Heifer. It is always part of the race course as well.

Today we will be there around 1200.

Saturday 10am

Sunday 10am

I probably forgot something but hey just keep throwing questions at me. I will do my best to give some kind of answer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, Davey.

I now live far away, so I have only (courteously) ridden the clockwise direction because I am there on weekends. I sort of figured that the shortcut would have something to do with "backwards".

From an old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Thread
    Work on FLOW TRAIL. Ride your bike to intersection of B-17 and Broken Dam. Closest place to park is on Sir Francis Drake and ride up White Hill Trail to Porcupine to enter camp at B-17 Extension.

Arrive as close to 9:30am as you can. If you arrive later look for work crew.

For more information contact: Jim at BTCJim@comcast.net

It's about showing up.
    One of the challenges to the "dirty work" of mountain biking, advocacy and trail work, is that it is awkward to fit into a riders life. In funny way it is much like wrenching on your bike; it doesn't fit a lot of people.

The whole point of the sport is to ride, not get greasy, blistered, or bored at meetings that seem to be all climb and no down. For most folks riding is a spare-time thrill in a life that wants relief, escape, relaxation, or a cardio workout and I don't mean gerbiling on a treadmill or spinmaster in some downtown glass-fronted gym at lunch. There are skill/technical demands to each of these "dirty jobs" and they suck time away from knobby tired fun. So people ride instead. I get that.

The idea that people can be induced to do these things by nagging them with what they ought to do may work with some but in funny way it can put a barrier up. People learn to ignore, resist, and bury away such entreaties; that is a reaction to nagging. We get the same reaction, worse even, when we characterizes these folks as somehow less cool than the us who do the work. I'm not saying necessarily that this is happening here but it is common in our culture; it is born of frustration. I get that too.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Not sure why you posted this, but I am not feeling nagged.

I am not one of those skinny spandex racers, no matter how hard I train and race. I like to say that God designed me (and my father and grandfathers) to plant potatoes, and then dig them up.

So I shall fulfill my destiny at Tamarancho for a while. That place has given much to me since the 70's, and I will freely give back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    One of the challenges to the "dirty work" of mountain biking, advocacy and trail work, is that it is awkward to fit into a riders life. In funny way it is much like wrenching on your bike; it doesn't fit a lot of people.

The whole point of the sport is to ride, not get greasy, blistered, or bored at meetings that seem to be all climb and no down. For most folks riding is a spare-time thrill in a life that wants relief, escape, relaxation, or a cardio workout and I don't mean gerbiling on a treadmill or spinmaster in some downtown glass-fronted gym at lunch. There are skill/technical demands to each of these "dirty jobs" and they suck time away from knobby tired fun. So people ride instead. I get that.

The idea that people can be induced to do these things by nagging them with what they ought to do may work with some but in funny way it can put a barrier up. People learn to ignore, resist, and bury away such entreaties; that is a reaction to nagging. We get the same reaction, worse even, when we characterizes these folks as somehow less cool than the us who do the work. I'm not saying necessarily that this is happening here but it is common in our culture; it is born of frustration. I get that too.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post

Not sure why you posted this, but I am not feeling nagged.
    It is a preamble, so-to-speak, to a hoped-for discussion of this statement by Davey:

"I'm hopeful that this thread will turn into a discussion on why we shouldn't ride in the rain and why doing trail work and turning up at the advocacy meetings is equally as important as riding mountain bikes."
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    It is a preamble, so-to-speak, to a hoped-for discussion of this statement by Davey:

"I'm hopeful that this thread will turn into a discussion on why we shouldn't ride in the rain and why doing trail work and turning up at the advocacy meetings is equally as important as riding mountain bikes."

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Gotcha.
    Yeah, the post is a bit of a non-sequitur without context.
    I don't rattle.