mtbr member
    Jul 2007

The Tahoe-Sierra 100 was just plain epic!!

The stories will start to fly about this one. The snow the cold and the rain. What a hell of a ride. Roger Lackey, Sean Allan, Friz Wisor and Nate Knudson all headed out on the long course. They said at mile 12 the snow hit hard, and the boys in for a hell of a ride. I could go but on, I will let them write in about it.
    Linda Eckhart is a hammer head. Sean Allan just kept on going with the snow flying to robinson flat and never looked back. We all got the e-mail that this ride would be called off, but I guess all us hardcore nuts talked Mr Jim into it. If I may say so myself this is going to the best of the best 100 mile events in country 2008. It was great that Sean Mc Devitt from Mountain Hardwear came and gave some tents out at the end of the ride.
    Matt Zanner, Yuri Hauswald, Dave McCormick , Hyland Fisher, Linda Eckhart, Blair Hickman and many more whom names I was not sure of because I was to cold at the time.
    Even know we did not get to do all the course, I am heaed back up to do the rest in a week or two.I here Jim say that the seacond half is the best. The long 10 mile climb at the end well kick your butt after 90 miles. I have never had a better time being that I was in so much pain, cold. I got to ride with some of the best racers and they were all just great people . Epic, just Epic.

mtbr member
    It was defintely an epic ride! It turned out to only be about 45 miles, but I haven't been that cold in a long time. The snow itself wasn't so bad, it was the pouring rain that got us completely soaked before it froze and snowed. The second half of the ride was actually pretty decent though. It got sloppy for a while when the temps first started coming back up, but by the time I hit the long climb home conditions were getting pretty good and the road was in great shape for the final slog. All in all it was a great day. Finally a race in CA that can give some of the epics in less temperate parts of the country a run for their money. We're too spoiled here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    for once I feel I can use the adjective 'epic' properly That's the first ~48 mile ride (we got lost) I've done which felt like 148 when finished... For me the combination of the cold (first time I had an actual icicle hanging from my visor), the altitude and the snow/sleet/mud added up to solid pain cave! Who knew a Mutanoraptor can mutate into an OK snow tire.

Great to meet everyone. Yah, Linda is a frigging animal for sure. I tried so hard to keep her in sight after popping on one of the snow climbs, to no avail. Russel B, thanks for hanging with me, there were a few spots where some conversation meant riding instead of walking. Sulley- you're evil... that's all.

Sean from Mtn hardwear thanks for the kick ass tent!

Sean Allan- hopefully you will give us a good narrative of your adventure so us humans can be reminded what a true epic is

Jim- as always you delivered. Thanks to you and your kids for tking this one on. Can't wait to see this thing take shape for next year, hopefully you'll give everyone who suffered yesterday automatic bid for the main event

mtbr member
    May 2005

Good times!

First off, a good percentage of you guys rode further than I did, for that you guys get major props, not sure how many of you rode in the conditions we did, but that is another thing. Suffering is an individual thing, and I think all who rode suffered!
    Jim had called the event off on Friday due to inclement weather. Roger and I had decided that we were going to ride this thing regardless, time and family issues made it undoable in the coming weeks. Upon talking to Jim on Friday night it appeared it would go on with a group of riders that Jim felt could succeed in any conditions, the group was tough, the conditions tougher! Props to Jim for having faith in us.

We started about 6:45 from the lodge, 4 of us, Roger Fritz, Nate and myself. We took the dirt start option and immediately made a wrong turn and headed down some dirt road on the wrong side of the canyon, DUH! Upon turning around we found the bridge we were looking for and it popped us right out on Soda Springs Rd. The road down was uneventful but it was starting to rain pretty good by the time we hit the bottom at the Cedars.
    I had already taken my jacket off in anticipation of the first climb up to Lyon Ridge and had somehow managed to get off the front by the time Jim passed me going up Soda Springs road, we talked a bit as I huffed and puffed along in my stupid arse 2-1 gearing, (note to self, buy some different gears for next year). I made the turn up to Lyon Ridge and bid Jim farewell, he said he would see me at the bottom of the next climb, AHHH, now I had a race on my hands, see if I could beat Jim to the bottom of Foresthill Rd
    The climb up to the Tevis Trail at Lyon Ridge is just a grind, not real steep but just hard enough that I had to stand the whole way, by this time it was really raining and I was soaked. It was a welcome sight to see the snow at about the halfway point of the climb, my gloves were soaked and it was nice to not have water running down the back of my neck. The temperature had not changed much so the snow actually made it a bit more bearable..... for now.
    Upon cresting the top of the hill I started down towards the upper drainage of the Middle Fork of the American River, glided past the Western States trail coming down from Squaw Valley and hung on for a wild ride down to the bottom of the hill. Somewhere in the middle of the descent my rear Marta SL decided to give out ( broken slave piston on this mornings inspection) which made for some harrowing corners and water bars out in the muck. About halfway down the snow turned to rain again and it was way freakin cold! I had forgotten how long the gravel road at the bottom was, and by this time it was a river of water which seemed to spray everywhere, especially my frozen feet.
    The bottom of Foresthill road comes into view and Jim is no where in sight, Yippeee I beat him! I had told Jim that I had everything I needed for the whole day in my pack and was not going to stop for aid stations So after stopping to change into a second pair of gloves I brought I was headed up the hill, mind you it is still just pissing down rain!

I had climbed about a 1/2 a mile when I hear Jim's truck hauling a** down the hill. We stop and talk a bit about the conditions ahead, he says it is snowing real bad up the road, I remind him that if it was easy, everyone would do it, and head off up the hill. I am now officially uncomfortable, my jacket is still keeping me dry and my core is alright, but my hands and feet are in some serious pain. The climb is helping on the warmth front, but it is really snowing , like hard enough that I can see only about 50' in front of me. The snow is also making my gear choice a real pain in the a**, it seems like the snow is piling up in front of my rear tire on every rotation and unless I sit down, which is not a choice most of the time, the tire just slips.
    So it goes like this till the top of the road at the crossing of the Western States trail at Lava Point, about 6,900'. At the top I can hear Jim's truck again, he pulls up and asks how I am doing, at this point 3 other heads crane out around his. After exchanging some pleasantries with Jim's passengers and questioning their manhood Jim tells me to get in the truck. Screw that is what I think I said, maybe a bit more colorful, but somewhere along those lines. I tell Jim I am going to Robinson's Flat to hopefully meet up with my Wife who was going to ride the second half with us, all the time praying she didn't sleep in or blow me off because it was going to be a cold a** 35 miles back to my house in Foresthill. I follow Jim's truck with Rogers stupid head sticking out the window taking pictures with Jim's phone down to the turn off with Soda Springs Rd. which everyone else ended up going down. From here it got pretty ugly, I was alright cruising along the ridge in the snow, but every descent was a session of pain for my hands and feet.
    The road to Robinson Flat is a series of pretty good rollers with the climbs being just short enough to do no good in the heat department and the following descent adding to my depleting core temp. I was starting to get inside my head at this point as well, what if my wife is not there, it is a going to be a frigid 4'000' drop to Foresthill, on my stupid SS as well
    After rolling around the Frozen Tundra for 6 miles I get to Robinson Flat and am crushed when I don't see my truck, oh F*^%$. I have decide that the only way to warm up is to get inside the concrete bathrooms at the campground and hope for the best. As I cruise into the parking lot of the equestrian camp I am elated to see my truck parked around the corner, yeah, I am done and have no problem being sagged back home.

As usual, Jim was a force of nature, he calmly picked up hypothermic bikers in the middle of nowhere for most of the day and never let on that this was most likely a big pain in the ass that we had all goaded him into. If any of you have doubts as to whether Jim is the real deal, this should give you an idea as to the lengths Jim will go to to put on a first class event, Global Biorhythm Events will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years, Great Job Jim!
    To everyone who started and finished, no matter how you got back, Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What a WEIRD day!

It's odd to experience, nice to descent weather and than watch the mother nature lay some serious smack down on you within a couple hours.

To recount, here's what I (and Nate, Fritz, and Sean) experienced in about a 3 hour span.

1. Nice weather.
    2. Rain.
    3. Harder Rain.
    4. Pellet size hail.
    5. Popcorn snow.
    6. Sleet
    7. More hard rain.
    8. A road that doubled as a river!
    9. Then a white xmas! Holy crap.

I've ridden out this way a few times, and I have to say in the middle of nowhere and squinting through falling hail, snow, etc. I wasn't sure how things were going to end yesterday. When I hit the bottom of the descent to the gravel road, I was soaking wet and frozen, No feeling in my hands or feet and I couldn't keep my bike very straight as my body was uncontrollably shaking. I was thankful for the points requiring pedallng because my body temp would jump a bit. Unfortunatelly, the gravel road was a river with not much left to ride that wouldn't kick water.

I wondered if I'd make to Robinson flat at this point and what the hell I'd do from that point my condition was going south in a hurry and in the midst of things...I wasn't sure the weather would ever get any better or get worse.

Unfortunately, I prepped for a lil rain and some nice weather. The order mother nature layed her rath, left me soaking wet and cold to the bone. I was done when Jim got to me. Thanks Jim for realizing the situation and looking for us.

For those that rode out later experienced the same conditions and did the loop. My hat is off to you! You guys rock.

When we went back out for you all in our trucks, I could see a few of you, seriously considering the ride back, but you grit your teeth, squeezed your numb hands and suffered through. Incredible!

Not sure if there's a sanity issue with the name Sean. But Sean Allen takes the award for just being a hard ass. I think the response when we asked how he was doing was....."I can't feel my feet and I'm having trouble talking but otherwise I'm good." I was very happy to have your voicemail that's for sure!

Sean "Sully" Sullivan, you have nine lives man. You ramble on out into the middle of no where make friends with rednecks who not only feed you, but offer to take you to a bar and get you drunk. Well, at least, they called Jim and left a message that you were okay.

I think the loop will be a good loop, it's gonna go from "this isn't bad" to a bit punishing when folks are faced with the climb out of the Cedars at the end. But that's a good thing!

I plan to hit the lower part of the course, hopefully, next week and will provide some feedback on it. Jim's gotten creative and found some trails/roads that even the Forest Service didn't no linked together.

Jim and family, thanks for getting this together....unfortunate that mother nature got a lil pissy this weekend. However, I think it's a good learning experience and will help Jim in preparation for next year.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Somewhere a few miles down Old 40 from where I spent Friday night, is a Memorial to a couple of thin blooded folks who didn't think it snowed in the Sierras in September. Yeah, the Donner Party was going through my mind, and if I didn't see Jim's truck I was thinking how warm Nate might be, like that Scene in Star Wars where Luke cuts that thing open and crawls inside... hmmmm.... and some nice Chianti and some fava beans....

So, the 4 early people attempting the long loop left under clear skies. "Hey it didn't rain last night, that only means 2 things, either it will, or it won't rain on us today." A little drizzle to start but no biggie, I've got a windbreaker and leg/ arm warmers and wool socks. then it started to really rain, but t got nice as we climbed out of the Cedars and into the snow, and that was about as warm as I got all day. Climbing in the snow was great, but descending out of it was pure hell. I made Nate stop so I could get off my bike and move my legs. My feet were frozen stumps, and my fingers... well, braking wasn't enjoyable, and shifting was nearly impossible. When we hit the snow line, and it went from dry white to wet brown, I'll never forget that feeling, just getting colder and colder in the core.
    Jim was mistaken in interpreting our smiles as "wow, this is so much fun!". Mine was. "Thank God, theres a warm truck!!! I've never been so happy to see Jim"
    So, all you guys who rode back out, and didn't need a lift. CONGRATS! your're all hard as nails! Sean from Mtn Hardware, who got lost and recieved some help from the hunters,,, You win "Most Bonus Miles"
    Yuri, the smoothtalker, Scoring gloves for one of the guys (Shane?) who's hands were in rough shape. good looking out!
    Chris B, thanks for driving.
    And JIM!!! big props for putting this on, I will be there at Round 2, I feel like I've got something to prove now, get my manhood back from those mtns.
    See you guys at the innagural running!!! I had a blast!

Lusus Naturae
    Nice reports and pics. Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Had a great time riding, and meeting good people.

Looks like there will be an opportunity to go back and do this thing. I'm in.

Thanks Jim for babysitting.

mtbr member
    I KNOW someone was taking a lot of pics, too bad I can't recall his name due to hypothermia. Anyone got more pics to share? Bump this to the top to build visibility for Jim's new darling the Tahoe Sierra 100!

mtbr member
    It was too cold and wet to take too many photos, but here are a few more.

There's a fine line between being tough and being stupid. I think I might have crossed onto the dark side at this ride. I've got an appointment later today to have the doctor look at my frostbit toe that's still numb and swollen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Bugger on the frostbite, hope it's not. I got a mild dose in Colorado when I was in my Snowboard days and got stuck in a truck on Berthoud Pass, I still get a lot of pain in that foot when I get too cold.
    That being said, It was screaming at me on Saturday. I didn't have any booties, and my toes and hands paid the price for my "optimistic" choice of clothing.
    Your pics really bring it back, cold, dark, wet, windy. Burrrrr.
    Nice ice on the helmet.
    When we drove out past Sean Allan, he had probably 3 inches on his head. "My feet are killing me and I can't rally talk all that well." Damn, that guy's tough. He then rode home, more or less.
    Yeah, I really want a second crack at that thing... pray for better weather.

mtbr member
    I cleaned my gutters in the rain on Saturday, it was quite brisk out and way more core than this

Was kind of bummed when I heard this event got bumped up 3 weeks from the original date I got invited to but had prior plans for already, hopefully next year I can join in on the pain.

Way to tough it out!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    thx, 1gear. hope your toe heals well. Agree with Fritz, those pics definitely bring back the happy memories of the day Who was the guy on the pink full susp? Thought he was snapping pics all day?

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    That was probably Yuri. He's got a sweet Marin that's pink, too bad there's no barflies on it...
    It's quite intimidating if you ever are on the starting line with that bike... He'll probably put a writeup on ride424, Karl Etzel's site. not to take traffic away from here, but the pics will most likely end up there.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by dirtman3
    Epic, just Epic.
    amazing ride, we did about 30 something miles under similar conditions on the same day and that was bad enough. No frozen helmets but we did have plenty of numb fingers and toes on a long technical downhill which was bad enough.

1gear, good luck on the toe. Mine has been little numb at the tip for the last couple days, it's feeling better now and looks Ok so I'm hopeful I can avoid a visit to the doctor.

I'm looking forward to riding this next year, hopefully under better weather.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    The tips of my fingers on my right hand still feel a little weird...

I'd post pictures but it seems my camera didn't make it home with me. If anybody that was up there on saturday finds a little silver pentax camera in a Lowe Pro case with green and black batteries in it... post some pictures... maybe PM me?

I'll see if I can get some of my recollections down for ya'll on Friday.

Hyland
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member

I will check it out for ya!

Hyland, I will check it out for by friday. I am milling some lumber for a cabin by Rainbow Lodge. I will stop and ask Neil if he saw one laying around the Lodge. You sure its not on the trail of Tears?

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It might be out there for sure. The head was a bit foggy as the day progressed. I know I had it when we talked the the two fellas in the jeep, the one guy gave us a map that we were quite pleased to have. Possibly I lost it there, I was no longer able to operate my zippers....
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

He is doing it again!!

I got another e-mail that the madman Mr Jim . He is doing the per-ride of the Tahoe-Sierra 100 course again in a few weeks with free aid for the riders. I would like to ride that 8 or 10 miles of single track that we didn't get into. Its all up to the weather. I am going for sure, well not for sure if it going to rain again!!
    It sounds like the hole 100 mile will be open to us for that day. I think I am in for the 100. Jim said while we were at the lodge that the second half of the 100 was the best. It sounds like its still just an invite only deal again ?

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    three cheers for MadManJim!!!

See you up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'll be back up there

See you guys back up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I cleaned my gutters in the rain on Saturday, it was quite brisk out and way more core than this
    So did I and I cut my finger!!! I'm so f***ing HARD!!
    Nice job guys, way to make me feel like a wuss!!

mtbr member
    my attendance at version 1.0 on Saturday required flying my mom out to cover for me with newborn twin support, I have a better chance of getting hit by a meteor than being able to broker another all day adventure right now To all of the brave souls I met Saturday contemplating a version 2.0, go kick some ass. To those invitees who didn't attend the first one, think about what food, clothes and equipment you might need for a snowstorm, and then bring some more

And I think MadManJim may just stick as a new nickname

Members who have read this thread: 0