mtbr dismember

Tahoe north shore long XC?

How about some north shore folks suggesting some 30 - 40 mile XC rides comparable to what I've been riding on south shore? Nothing super technical, but I'm not too proud to walk a bit of technical stuff. But nothing as easy as Emigrant. GPS tracks would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Maybe...

Not sure what "too technical" is to you, but my wife Mary did this ride with me as well. You don't need to go all the way out past Watson Lake, just turn around whenever you feel like it and hit Missing Link down to Western States and cruise the bike trail back to your car. One of my favorite loops out of Tahoe City.

Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

267 Brockway Summit to Painted Rock TRT

I would park on highway 267 Tahoe rim trail Trailhead And head west Until you're ready to turn around. Great cross country riding on the TRT there.

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'd suggest starting at the top of Martis Peak and riding all the way to Tahoe City on the TRT. A shuttle would make the most sense. But if you did want to ride back to your car, you could ride the bike path to where it ends at Dollar Point then down the hill on the road to Old County Road. You can ride up OCR to the TRT and hang a right and stay on the TRT back to your car. This would cut out climbing over Mt Watson a second time, making it a burly but not fully crazed loop.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Start at Negro Canyon or Glacier Way in Donner, ride the Donner Lake Rim to Hole in the Ground, do the HITG loop and ride the DLRT back to your car, probably 30+ miles.

NedwannaB

Good.route, but....

Quote Originally Posted by gobikingintahoe View Post
    I would park on highway 267 Tahoe rim trail Trailhead And head west Until you're ready to turn around. Great cross country riding on the TRT there.
    Not sure that's what he's looking for. As I recall that would be a "down and back up" route as opposed to an out and back. Could be wrong and don't mean to second guess Mr. WW as I know by following his impressive rides of late are rather inspiring.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

I like pie.
    East side of the lake. Try one of the longer options which incorporate the Flume trail with some Tahoe Rim trail mixed in. Start and finish at the Spooner Lake parking lot. Be sure to bring a camera.

mtbr dismember

Did it!

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Not sure that's what he's looking for. As I recall that would be a "down and back up" route as opposed to an out and back.
    I did that once and it was one of the toughest rides I've ever done! Not going to do it again.

mtbr dismember

Technical

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Start at Negro Canyon or Glacier Way in Donner, ride the Donner Lake Rim to Hole in the Ground, do the HITG loop and ride the DLRT back to your car, probably 30+ miles.
    I've always head that HITG is way technical.

mtbr dismember

1,000 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    East side of the lake. Try one of the longer options which incorporate the Flume trail with some Tahoe Rim trail mixed in. Start and finish at the Spooner Lake parking lot. Be sure to bring a camera.
    Thanks but I've done that area a 1,000 times. "Bring a camera"? You must not be familiar with my work

mtbr member

Not that technical

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I've always head that HITG is way technical.
    I dont think its much more technical then going up Monument Pass or over Freel. The DLRT is probably the most technical section from Summit lake to where it intersects the fireroad that connects you to HITG.

Paper or plastic?
    How about starting from Tahoe City up Western States to Watson lake and then all the way down to Truckee. That ought to be close to 30 miles, maybe more if doing bonus mileage at the top.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB

Exactly

I did that once and it was one of the toughest rides I've ever done! Not going to do it again.
    I did about a 3/4 down and back with Okie Dokie and that was enough.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr dismember

And then?

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    How about starting from Tahoe City up Western States to Watson lake and then all the way down to Truckee. That ought to be close to 30 miles, maybe more if doing bonus mileage at the top.
    And then? I'm stuck a long way from my car

Paper or plastic?
    And then? I'm stuck a long way from my car
    2 possibilities: 1) you went with a buddy and left a car in Truckee, 2) you timed your ride perfectly and catch a shuttle back to Watson lake and go to the TRT from there down to Tahoe city.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I think you could start/end in Tahoe City if you combined most of the trails in Burton Creek, hit Watson Lake, Painted Rock, and the associated segments of the TRT (or Western States down to the bike path). That's longer than I ride, so you'd need to spend some time with the map (The Adventure Maps one is good).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tahoe City loop

You could put together a 20+ mile ride starting and ending in Tahoe City. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of most of the trails to string this together so this is probably useless to you but if you're (or others viewing this thread) are willing to explore (or have a local bike shop show you on a map), this is how you would do it:

-Park in town
    -Ride up Jackpine St and enter Burton Creek State park
    -From Burton Creek State Park ride to Antone Meadows (via single track that veers to the right just before hitting Fibreboard Fwy)
    -From Anton Meadows ride to TRT (just above Carnelian Bay)
    -Ride up TRT (heading West) to Watson Lake.
    -Continue past Watson Lake on TRT to the top of Western States (this will take you past painted rock)
    -At this point, you can decide to continue on TRT to Tahoe City OR take Western States down to Hwy 89.
    -If you continue on to Tahoe City via TRT, it will be a fun technical singletrack on the bench above the Truckee River and will end up in Tahoe City (near the Chevron at the entrance to town)
    -If you take the Western States route, it will be a fun singletrack with a series of turns a couple of creek crossings and bridges. Ultimately, you'll end up on Hwy 89 across the St from Squaw. Ride back to Tahoe City via Hwy 89 and the Truckee River paved trail
    -End at Bridge Tender with cold drink!

Rubber side down
    Mar 2007
    I offered you this one last year, but you did,
    "I did that once and it was one of the toughest rides I've ever done! Not going to do it again",
    that one instead.

Some things may be called different names and no I don't have GPS

Start and finish- Nordic center, Tahoe City
    Head for the fiber board- many routes
    climb to the crest before the turn off to the peak of watson
    take OTB down to the teva trail(dirt road)
    take a rt or north follow to the 06 fireroad
    climb out back to the fiber board
    rt on FB to dirt road to the peak of watson
    end of road take the trail down to TRT
    lf to watson lake, around rt of lake to TRT
    rt on TRT follow to big rocks at old county dirt road
    rt on road short distance
    lf on dirt road with green gate
    pass gate trail on rt
    follow to end at dirt road and creek crossing
    rt get back to old county dirt road
    look for trail on rt that will take you back into the maze of nordic center trails
    After that discription no wonder you didn't do it last year. Sorry
    Good luck
    Jack Tupp