Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Tahoe Downhill Trail Suggestions

I have a campsite booked Sunday through Thursday next week at Fallen Leaf. Planned on spending some time at Northstar but they aren't open mid-week until July. Corral Flow sounds like a good trail - any other suggestions? Ideally I would like something that can be shuttled up (either paid for or talk my wife into it), I'm riding a Demo 8. Pinecrest Peak is a blast and I'm guessing there has to be something in the area similar. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Tyrolean is very fun, near Incline Village off the Mt Rose Highway.
    Locals might tell you "you can't get lost!" but I did. Hint: if you start climbing, you're on the wrong trail (Marlette Flume).

It's a public shared trail, so be aware of other users and be nice. Have your driver drop you close to the top on Mt Rose Highway, but NOT all the way at the proper TRT trailhead, that's too far. Pickup is in the Diamond Peak Ski Resort parking lot.

Very doable on a Demo.

Don't limit yourself to Corral, higher up the same road is Armstrong Connector which is also amazing.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Tyrolean is very fun, near Incline Village off the Mt Rose Highway.
    Locals might tell you "you can't get lost!" but I did. Hint: if you start climbing, you're on the wrong trail (Marlette Flume).

It's a public shared trail, so be aware of other users and be nice. Have your driver drop you close to the top on Mt Rose Highway, but NOT all the way at the proper TRT trailhead, that's too far. Pickup is in the Diamond Peak Ski Resort parking lot.

Very doable on a Demo.

Don't limit yourself to Corral, higher up the same road is Armstrong Connector which is also amazing.
    Ha! I missed Tyrolean just last Friday and ended up on the TRT instead. That was after riding up from Incline. Made me wish I had gotten a shuttle to the top.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Closest thing to Pinecrest Peak would be Saxon Creek Trail (Mr Toads). You can shuttle to Luther Pass and climb up to the trail, but the cool ride is to ride up Armstrong Pass and take the Rim trail over to Toads. You can get a short shuttle assist with that route too. Also riding down Armstrong into Corral is a good, less techy DH.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    You can shuttle to Luther Pass and climb up to the trail, but the cool ride is to ride up Armstrong Pass and take the Rim trail over to Toads. You can get a short shuttle assist with that route too.
    Not sure route up to Toads is open. Pedaling up either of these ways would be an outing on a D8.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Surveyor, will also be camping at Fallen Leaf next week. Looking to ride similar route. Maybe we can setup our own shuttle. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The big shuttle (if the Oneidas/Fountain place road is open) is the best. Pioneer trail to Oneidas and hope all the gates are open. If not...ride up the paved road to the top and one of the best smooth single track downhills.

If you want rocky and more technical...ride or shuttle to the top of Christmas Valley. You can start this at Luther pass or Big Meadow.

mtbr dismember

All open

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Not sure route up to Toads is open. Pedaling up either of these ways would be an outing on a D8.
    Yesterday I rode up TRT from Big Meadow to Armstrong and all clear except for a few tiny patches of snow between Toads and Armstrong Pass, which will be gone in a day or so.

Singletrackmac
    Martis to 267 is a fun 4 mile DH. Easy to get to off of Martis Peak Rd.

If you don't mind a little climb, after the TRT DH from Martis to 267, head up the 267 and turn left at the summit onto the fiberboard freeway. Short climb on a nice paved road to connect back with the TRT. Head south off the fiberboard fwy for another fun DH.

Another option is to have your wife drive you up to Watson Lake from the fiberboard fwy. From there either climb to the top of Mt watson and head north on the TRT for a 6 mile DH down to carnelian bay, or, if you don't want to climb, just take the TRT from Watson Lake for a 4 mile DH.
    Last edited by singletrackmack; 06-18-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: To remove local trails names
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It will be open. Not sure what a D8 is; DH bike, I presume. Toads is popular with the DH crowd.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Or if you head . . . . That's a fun DH also.
    Not trying to be the internet police here, and it's not like these things aren't on Strava, but not sure repeating the names is a great idea. Or has this changed with the recent (2011?) land exchange, where (I think) Sierra Pacific agreed to sell/not develop a lot of the forest land around Martis in exchange for being allowed to build a new neighborhood on the Northstar side of Brockway Summit?
    Last edited by AKD; 06-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    If your downhill oriented and gonna drive up to the North side of the lake, you might as well pony up for a day pass and ride the lifts at Northstar
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

NedwannaB

yeah saw your other ride report

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Yesterday I rode up TRT from Big Meadow to Armstrong and all clear except for a few tiny patches of snow between Toads and Armstrong Pass, which will be gone in a day or so.
    Will be going up in couple weeks and want to do the Spooner-Toads route.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr dismember

Let me know

Will be going up in couple weeks and want to do the Spooner-Toads route.
    Give me some notice and I'd start from Spooner with you and go down Armstrong instead. We'd end up at the same place and given my slow speed, probably about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If your downhill oriented and gonna drive up to the North side of the lake, you might as well pony up for a day pass and ride the lifts at Northstar
    The conversation started because N* isn't open weekdays yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks everyone! I REALLY appreciate it. I think I'll stick with So. Lake area and hit Toads (Saxon Creek Trail) via Luther Pass to TRT to Toads. I'm guessing I'll be walking some of the uphill on my DH bike. Also plan to take Fountain Place Rd up to top of Connector then to Corral. Any of this a bad idea? Also, are there any shuttle companies that shuttle those routes? Thanks again!

When I pedaled up Fountain Place Rd I got multiple offers of rides to the top (and that was on my regular bike, not my Demo). That was a weekend day. But unless you go when there is no one around I'd be a little surprised if you didn't get similar offers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Excellent. I'll bring my truck and hopefully find someone to trade off with if someone doesn't take pity on me.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Not trying to be the internet police here, and it's not like these things aren't on Strava, but not sure repeating the names is a great idea. Or has this changed with the recent (2011?) land exchange, where (I think) Sierra Pacific agreed to sell/not develop a lot of the forest land around Martis in exchange for being allowed to build a new neighborhood on the Northstar side of Brockway Summit?
    I don't recall seeing any signs limiting access to the two trails you are talking about, but I have not been on those trails for a very long time and might be misremembering, or they may have added some signs since I rode them last.

Let me know why you think there is an issue with these trails and me posting their names and I will edit my original post on this thread and remove those two trail names.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The ride to the top of Fountain place doesn't take long on the pavement. 1 hour max to do the full climb, and while its steep at the top, it's all rideable

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    I don't recall seeing any signs limiting access to the two trails you are talking about, but I have not been on those trails for a very long time and might be misremembering, or they may have added some signs since I rode them last.

Let me know why you think there is an issue with these trails and me posting their names and I will edit my original post on this thread and remove those two trail names.
    Sent you a PM. In the interests of others reading this, the landowner has previously asked for descriptions of the trails in the area to be removed from the internet. http://www.greatbasinbicycles.com/si...y%20Harrys.pdf. Better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Because the people who build those trails put in a lot of work to not have randoms riding there. If you have ridden there you should know there is stuff better to ride and better maintained than northstar and you don't want a lot of traffic there or at the other trails in the area.

Singletrackmac
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post

Because the people who build those trails put in a lot of work to not have randoms riding there. If you have ridden there you should know there is stuff better to ride and better maintained than northstar and you don't want a lot of traffic there or at the other trails in the area.
    Fair enough. Trail names now removed. I don't ride North Star because I agree with what you say about there being much better trails to ride up here that far better maintained than at Northstar. You make a good point about doing what we can to keep them that way. I will leave the info regarding the TRT however, since that is listed on the Tahoe trail maps that anyone can purchase, but will remove some of the alternate routes.

mtbr member
    I rode Luther to Toads on a Demo 9... once. I wouldn't do it again with that bike. It is a steep climb from Luther to the top of Toads. Even with a granny on that Demo I was walking a lot of it. There are a few fun sections on Toads for DH, but really not worth lugging a DH bike up there for. And there's a lot of pedaling even on the downhill. It's perfect for something like an Enduro.

Compared to Pinecrest, I guess Toads is similar, except that you still have a big climb to get to it (for a DH bike).

With that bike, I'd say do some shuttle laps on Corral. You could do a bunch of those in the time it's going to take you to do Toads.

Oh, Tyrolean was mentioned - that's gonna be boring on a Demo.

Those trails that shall not be named by N* would be perfect for what you want though...

mtbr member
    Since your at Fallen leaf lake, there are two trails that can be shuttled that drop down to the south side of the lake. Both start off Angora ridge road. Angora lakes is a worthy destination for non-bikers in your group as a place to visit and could drop you off on the way. They are both on the primitive less used side and neither is super long maybe 1 1//2 miles each, one drops just behind the Angora lookout, this one is rid-able by most decently skilled riders. The other one further up the road has some pretty gnarly rock sections and steeper grades a bigger travel bike would definitely be more comfortable on it's called the "Clark Trail", you can google it, starts near the bottom parking area for Angora lakes, you might have to poke around a little to find it. Neither are fast and have jumps if that's what you are looking for.

View's from the Clark trail are pretty spectacular at times.

Both these trails are slated to be decommissioned by the forest service as they are building a new "friendlier" trail system up there.

I've heard both trails referred to as "Clarks" so I'm not 100 percent sure which one it is. This one describes the one behind the lookout and is the less gnarly one.
    Lake Tahoe Mountain Bike Ride - Clark's Trail - South Shore
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast