mtbr member
    May 2014

Tahoe conditions

I will be staying on the west shore (Tahoma) for about 3 days next week and am looking for any info on the snow conditions on the nearby trails. I've ridden South Lake before but am interested in the closer trails around Tahoe City and the whole area in between Tahoe City and Northstar.

How about Stanford Rock and the section of the TRT that descends down to Tahoe City?

Any other recommendation for which trails I should ride in the area north of Tahoe City?

Any info on what is ride-able and where I should go is appreciated. Thanks!

E=mtb2
    There's currently a good deal of snow above 7000 ft in many areas, so low lying trails are your best bet. The Tahoe Area Mountain Bike Association has a good web site with trail conditions:

Tahoe Trail Conditions ‚Äď tamba.org

We rode the Emigrant trail (just north of Truckee) and several trails in the Sawtooth Ridge area (between Truckee and Tahoe City) this week, and these were in great shape. Emigrant was clear from the Donner Picnic area north to Stampede reservoir. There are a few downed trees in the Sawtooth area (2 Beavers and a Bear, 2 Bridges), but there are easy get arounds.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    my buddy took me on a ride last week. bunch of trails off 89 right next to the west river rd. intersection. trail called Jackass and yogi's. yogi's was still covered up in snow last weekend but i heard its good now. jackass is an easy climb. 4-5mi loop. flowy dh with berms and small doubles. some boulder rolls too.

heard yogi's is a a much bigger climb and has more stunts as well. if you loop yogi and jackass, it would be 16 mi i heard.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Hey ddraewwg, as it had been told to this non-local, this trail of which you speak does not exist, according to those that did not build it

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Hey ddraewwg, as it had been told to this non-local, this trail of which you speak does not exist, according to those that did not build it
    Cute, but the land managers know about Strava :-) They monitor it. All riders have to go off the grid or there is no secret. That won't happen of course. They should work with TAMBA if they want a local trail. The process works, eventually. Don't piss off the FS or they'll hire district rangers from the open space districts!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Cute, but the land managers know about Strava :-) They monitor it. All riders have to go off the grid or there is no secret. That won't happen of course. They should work with TAMBA if they want a local trail. The process works, eventually. Don't piss off the FS or they'll hire district rangers from the open space districts!
    Maybe its the heat, but you are funny.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sam here from Over The Edge. Lots of options on the South Shore! Things are melting very fast! SOme higher elevation stuff is open and riding nicely.We are running one of shuttle options right now and expect to offer a couple more here this coming week.
    Give us a call at Over The Edge or stop by when you are in town, we'd love to help you out. We have a super thorough and very up-to-date trail conditions section on our site as well.

mtbr member
    Sam you might not have been up there in the last few days but crossing Big Meadows is more the 20' of getting you feet wet

TRT: Luther Pass Campground to Pacific Crest Trail Open
    From Luther to top of Xmas Valley open. Be prepared for wet shoes crossing Big Meadow, flooded for about 20'.

Tahoe conditions-19400219_1601949993211198_6712426818184006901_o.jpg

Tahoe conditions-19466446_1601950006544530_8940447105866696015_o.jpg

I suspect a good portion of the trail beyond the bridge is under water

Cattle Trail and Scotts lake are in poor shape with lots of running water with many parts of the trail severely rutted

Scotts lake trail
    Tahoe conditions-19417532_1601949863211211_8298115935418198665_o.jpg

Paper or plastic?
    Is western States open?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Its not about FS. It's mainly about another user group.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's open, as always, but if you try to access it using the rim trail you will hit snow. I haven't been up there in a couple weeks, but I suspect you can make it to the top of Wallternate ok. The Rim trail between there and ML is always slow to melt out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Sam you might not have been up there in the last few days but crossing Big Meadows is more the 20' of getting you feet wet

TRT: Luther Pass Campground to Pacific Crest Trail Open
    From Luther to top of Xmas Valley open. Be prepared for wet shoes crossing Big Meadow, flooded for about 20'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19400219_1601949993211198_6712426818184006901_o.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	1143599

Name:	19466446_1601950006544530_8940447105866696015_o.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	1143600

I suspect a good portion of the trail beyond the bridge is under water

Cattle Trail and Scotts lake are in poor shape with lots of running water with many parts of the trail severely rutted

Scotts lake trail

Name:	19417532_1601949863211211_8298115935418198665_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	1143601
    Did it yesterday. It's rideable across Big Meadow, but we all got our feet real wet. Xmas Valley was great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Is western States open?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Did not ride it myself, but was told it was all good by two riders at the top of Painted Rock. West/south side of Painted is all good. I descended the east side and there's still quite a bit of snow on the bottom. Same for "Fire & Ice" and Mt. Watson.

NedwannaB

Thread bump!

Thought there was a more current thread my bad if I missed it. Heading up to Reno for the CX Nats and wondering if some of the lake'ish level trails are still riding.

Thinking about swinging off highway in Truckee on way back thru and doing a couple laps on Jackass.

Any beta appreciated.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden Jackass personally, but I've heard it's GTG. The 20 cars I saw parked on the road near the trailhead the other day are also a good sign.
    I'm headed to Downvieville tho....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
    I haven't ridden Jackass personally, but I've heard it's GTG. The 20 cars I saw parked on the road near the trailhead the other day are also a good sign.
    I'm headed to Downvieville tho....
    Or you could go ride up Mills Peak from hwy 89 to the top. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Tahoe conditions

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Thought there was a more current thread my bad if I missed it. Heading up to Reno for the CX Nats and wondering if some of the lake'ish level trails are still riding.

Thinking about swinging off highway in Truckee on way back thru and doing a couple laps on Jackass.

Any beta appreciated.
    If Jackass doesnít work out, Peavine in Reno was in great shape today. Itís just across the road from the CX Nationals site too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    If Jackass doesnít work out, Peavine in Reno was in great shape today. Itís just across the road from the CX Nationals site too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was a plan too. I ended up not going up to the races. I passed this and the Jackass ideas on to my friends.

Thanks all for the info.

P.S. Who's ready for summer to get here to!?!👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    How are the current trail conditions? Planning on going up to Tahoma/west shore area in a couple of weeks.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Last week's storm dropped a fair amount of snow at lake level. If the 60 degree weather keeps up, there's a chance you could find clear trails and good dirt, but all things considered I really hope that's not the case. Before the storm, trails on the 89 corridor (Western States, the stuff up by West River) were mostly clear. Anything above 8,000 (unless it's in a south-facing meadow) is going to be snowed in.