Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco envy

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Keep it! I like the size of the older ones, much more flickable!

I don't know if I'd ever get a late model Taco/4Runner, they look nothing like the original anymore, kinda over pretentious styling. Give me function over form. I'm still on the lookout for a matching white 2000 4Runner to add to my stable.
    I want to get a pre-2005 for my kiddo. Access cab, short bed.

How to find a good one and how to pay for it, i don't know.
    IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Road trip! I found my 2000 Taco in Nebraska for 8K.
    Cool heads prevail

fc
    Road trip! I found my 2000 Taco in Nebraska for 8K.
    mileage?
    IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    mileage?
    134K when I bought it, IIRC. Now it's somewhere around 170. The neat thing about this particular Taco is that it was originally sold at a dealership in Roseville CA, where I lived with my GF for a year or so.

I don't know how prices on 4Runners are out that way, but out here you can find a loaded '00 4X4 for half the price of a Taco.
    Cool heads prevail

fc
    134K when I bought it, IIRC. Now it's somewhere around 170. The neat thing about this particular Taco is that it was originally sold at a dealership in Roseville CA, where I lived with my GF for a year or so.

I don't know how prices on 4Runners are out that way, but out here you can find a loaded '00 4X4 for half the price of a Taco.
    Yup, 4runners are not crazy. They don't call it the Bay Area Tacoma Tax for nuthin.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    If I didn't NEED the towing capacity that my 3/4 ton Chevy provides, I'd get one.
    Heading to Chico for Naty's graduation. Can I get one more road trip out of theses tires? First set for the 2013. Got 33 grands worth of miles and the other tires are in a little better shape. 245/75 R16's on truck now ... Last tires I bought were for Naty's car from Goodyear on Stevens creek. Was happy with price and service. America's tire before that for my cars. Who do you "truckers" recommend? Prolly nothing more than m+s like the ones on it.Taco envy-img_2810-1-.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You should be fine for one last highway trip. I'd run them.

I've been VERY happy with Yokohama Geolanders for my last three tire changes. reasonably priced and durable, but a little on the noisy side (not bad, but a little).

Full disclosure, though: My brother has an account with Tirerack and I get them at his cost. Then, I use his mounting and balancing equipment and change them myself.
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Before the Taco, The One That Started it All For Toyota

This belongs to #1 son. I had two of them while the boys were growing up. When I found this one, he just had to have it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-fj40_2.jpg  

Taco envy-fj40_1.jpg  

"The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

Upcyclist
    When I found this one, he just had to have it:
    "He", lol!
    Cool heads prevail

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    "He", lol!
    Okay, I just had to make sure he had it.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Heading to Chico for Naty's graduation. Can I get one more road trip out of theses tires? First set for the 2013. Got 33 grands worth of miles and the other tires are in a little better shape. 245/75 R16's on truck now ... Last tires I bought were for Naty's car from Goodyear on Stevens creek. Was happy with price and service. America's tire before that for my cars. Who do you "truckers" recommend? Prolly nothing more than m+s like the ones on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2810 (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1135048
    You could go to another country with that. As long as it's not raining.
    IPA will save America

fc
    This belongs to #1 son. I had two of them while the boys were growing up. When I found this one, he just had to have it:
    That's way cool. Looks like a time suck, money pit though.

Awesome kids you have i see.
    IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member
    Seriously thought about getting a tacoma after selling my 3rd gen 4runner but ended up with a 4th gen 4runner instead. Like my 3rd gen and others have mentioned..i traveled to buy this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-dobinson-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Seriously thought about getting a tacoma after selling my 3rd gen 4runner but ended up with a 4th gen 4runner instead. Like my 3rd gen and others have mentioned..i traveled to buy this one.
    I just got a 4th gen 2007 V8 like that after being having a 2000 tacoma for 17 years. Pretty happy with it overall, but there are days I still miss the taco.

I'm certainly found there to be a similar market in the bay area for 4runners as for tacos. The nice ones with reasonable milage seem to go for well over KBB.

Where did you go to get that one and what are the stats?

mtbr member

Short bed is only available on 4 door models. Access cabs are all standard bed

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    that almost looks like the prev gen at that angle. what year is that? and congrats..i love the 4runner.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    DIBS!!!! that is the vehicle hobby i want to replace my old Porsche hobby with!! damn it..that is niiiiiice!!!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    The majority of Taco's are MTV's (mall terrain vehicles)
    i might agree with this..but at least mine isnt. it is my hunting rig and i use it any chance i get to minimize my hiking.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member

No Taco is complete until you have this in it...

Trail dog!
    Taco envy-img_2125.jpg

Taco envy-lua-mccall-2006.jpg

Taco envy-lua-sovereign-moab-2008.jpg

fc
    In for the leaf spring recall. I hope they fix it even though it is 3" lifted with an add-a-leaf spring.Taco envy-18199245_10155124742363213_6786618377877212328_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i might agree with this..but at least mine isnt. it is my hunting rig and i use it any chance i get to minimize my hiking.
    You don't have to agree but it's fact on all 2nd and 3rd gens. Measure your bed length

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You don't have to agree but it's fact on all 2nd and 3rd gens. Measure your bed length
    i was talking about your comment about most tacomas being mall crawlers..we got our wires crossed.

damn..now i want to know what you thought i was talking about
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    In for the leaf spring recall. I hope they fix it even though it is 3" lifted with an add-a-leaf spring.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18199245_10155124742363213_6786618377877212328_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1135216
    if your experience is anything like mine..i suggest you pedal your ass back over there and get your truck.

they are not allowed (i was told) to re-install your AAL to the new springs. AND depending on what AAL's you have, they might not fit. the new springs come with additional brackets that render the old AAL to long to fit between them.

soooo..what happens? they install the new leafs as-is..so when you pick up your truck, the front end will be 3" high. it's a good look..some call it the bro-lean. i ended up buying low mileage front end and lowered the front on mine to match. it was money i had to come out of pocket. good times!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    if your experience is anything like mine..i suggest you pedal your ass back over there and get your truck.

they are not allowed (i was told) to re-install your AAL to the new springs. AND depending on what AAL's you have, they might not fit. the new springs come with additional brackets that render the old AAL to long to fit between them.

soooo..what happens? they install the new leafs as-is..so when you pick up your truck, the front end will be 3" high. it's a good look..some call it the bro-lean. i ended up buying low mileage front end and lowered the front on mine to match. it was money i had to come out of pocket. good times!!
    ha ha. I can install the add-a-leafs myself.

Better if they just put the new springs for me to take home.

We shall see.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    i was talking about your comment about most tacomas being mall crawlers..we got our wires crossed.

damn..now i want to know what you thought i was talking about
    LOL.. My bad. But I would guess the number of mall crawlers is the same regardless of truck brand.

mtbr member

According to what others on tacomaworld have said. This is a true statement

I have some factory front coil-over take offs I'll sell

fc
    LOL.. My bad. But I would guess the number of mall crawlers is the same regardless of truck brand.
    Toyota was voted least likely to see Mall Crawler duty by Consumer Reports.Taco envy-17952785_10155393483314736_4456639652196610073_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    They put in the new springs and ignored my 1.5 inch add-a-leaf. Wah!!

It's an $85 Old Man Emu that I can diy so not the end of the world.

I broke my left spring 3 months ago. The said the right one was broken now too before they replaced it.
    IPA will save America

fc

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Short bed is only available on 4 door models. Access cabs are all standard bed
    I remember when the second gens were still pretty new, around 2006, someone took a regular cab frame and plopped an access cab on it with the D-cab's short bed. Short frame, little more room inside, and tighter for wheeling.

Can still picture it, like a matte green paint... now I've got to see if I can find that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here it is. Bad ass.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/sema-2006-pics.170/

Oh and it had a V8 in too, lol!

Can't believe I remembered this 10-11 years later...

Edit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVuJNecxn0E

Apparently it was Toyota that did it. Forgot that part.

mtbr member
    They put in the new springs and ignored my 1.5 inch add-a-leaf. Wah!!

It's an $85 Old Man Emu that I can diy so not the end of the world.

I broke my left spring 3 months ago. The said the right one was broken now too before they replaced it.
    Remove the front spacers and improve your ride quality. When $$ permits, to the lift right with adjustable coil-overs and a set of progressive AAL's or a new leaf pack

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Remove the front spacers and improve your ride quality. When $$ permits, to the lift right with adjustable coil-overs and a set of progressive AAL's or a new leaf pack
    holy crap..AGAIN. i am in full agreement with Truckee!!

my truck rides great OEM..and that naggy miniscule vibration i had at take-off is gone.

i'm over it, and will never lift it again. i took it to AZ in january and followed some fully modded jeeps up this trail to find cell service while deer hunting..minor fender rubbage, but no big deal.

i hated front spacers. the ride is weird.

bare min. i had OME 884 spring kit on mine and the ride was kinda nice. i didnt love the rear AAL, but i got the progressive ones which were better riding.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    Coilovers?? Should I corner balance too? I hear ya but we should consider the application here. I can't even find a dirt road to drive this on. I'm trying though.

This truck rides like a limo even with the lift. Maybe cause the wheelbase is twice that of my Mini.
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus
    since it's norcal and tires are important......bfg ko2's or goodyear wrangler duratracs? opinions?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    since it's norcal and tires are important......bfg ko2's or goodyear wrangler duratracs? opinions?
    We need to see the sidewall tread.

Actually would love to hear as well. There's also the cool kids at Tacomaworld. A lot of them are Norcal... and bike!
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I've had good luck with the Wranglers, but as I mentioned earlier, Yokohama makes a great tire too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I personally miss the Cooper Discoverer STT. I have Procomp Xtreme mt2 now and they are actually quite similar to the Discoverer STT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Coilovers?? Should I corner balance too? I hear ya but we should consider the application here. I can't even find a dirt road to drive this on. I'm trying though.

This truck rides like a limo even with the lift. Maybe cause the wheelbase is twice that of my Mini.
    your struts have the coils over the shocks. i ordered 884 coils from OME and a guy with a spring compressor mounted to his house garage wall helped me compress them and install new matching OME shocks. from there it is plug and play. people use spacers all the time, but that pre compresses the springs and make them stiffer. (eng geek alert..Hookes law. basically force of the spring increases as a function of distance IIRC)

and no to corner balance. there is no adjustment on the rears anyways. its a race car thing.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Theres always the "take off" or upgrade market of used stuff. thing is about the 2nd gen tacoma, 4th gen 4runner and FJ is that alot of the suspension, sans rear leaf springs are interchangeable or can be swapped out with minor mods.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DubC View Post

Where did you go to get that one and what are the stats?
    Found this one on CL in sac. One owner 06' V6 SE 4x4 109k. Upgraded: aftermarket HU, 5th gen wheels, 255/75/17s, SPC UCAs and Icon stage 1.

mtbr member

If you compared your trucks ride with that of one without lift blocks you would be amazed. Yes your truck has fixed front coil-overs. But fully adjustable coil-overs, with a threaded body and collar like Toytec or Icon, etc. help level or customize lift height and allow you to adjust out any lean and set preload. OME coil assy are fixed at a selected height. I think they have 3 positions. But many use them because they are the next affordable step up from spacer type lifts. The rear springs would be fixed but you would need new extended length shocks for the extra down travel. You may/should already have those due to your previous AAL set up.
    Springs lift and support and the shock dampens. Just like bikes
    These two pics show all you would need to lift your truck with good ride quality, safety in mind and of course good off road performance.
    And you could choose the ride height anywhere from 1" to 3"

Do it once and you're done

Taco envy-icon_taco.jpg
    Taco envy-prog_aal.jpg
    Taco envy-ccmaf.jpg

fc
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ccmaf.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1135515
    That's a very nice.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    that is nice!!

my OME struts had this tiny .25" spacer to adjust for taco lean. blew me away it worked.

i swear, my next truck i am leaving OEM thru and thru.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Truck has same kit as I shown above with Pro Comp wheels and 265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers in that pic. I have since bumped it up to 285's

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    Duratracs C load range...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Im telling ya...those wheeler leaf packs are a great price for the tacos...supposedly made by one of the higher end brands for them.

Francis...too bad you dont know some at Fox that can get you setup with some coil overs and dampers!!!! ;-) JUST DO IT!!!!!!

fc

Taco envy

Im telling ya...those wheeler leaf packs are a great price for the tacos...supposedly made by one of the higher end brands for them.

Francis...too bad you dont know some at Fox that can get you setup with some coil overs and dampers!!!! ;-) JUST DO IT!!!!!!
    I can do Fox. My lil buddy there has two tacos fully decked out with Fox dampers. But not yet, not yet.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Local high school fully squashed my rear leafs this pm
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    FC,

Have you calculated how that tent rack & tent affect your mpg? From what I remember of naked (stock) tacos that mpg was never great, high teens city, low 20's hwy. I imagine even just the tent rack has enough aero change to effect mpg

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    FC,

Have you calculated how that tent rack & tent affect your mpg? From what I remember of naked (stock) tacos that mpg was never great, high teens city, low 20's hwy. I imagine even just the tent rack has enough aero change to effect mpg
    He'll lose 3, maybe 4mpg max. It'll be the slow, around town stuff that rears it's ugly head the most. Once on the highway at speed he can recoup part of that depending on the distance driven, and whether or not he wants to draft big rigs or even use a fairing on the top of the cab.

Speaking of such things, finally threw the BakFlip on my truck and gained 1-2mpg's on local stuff. It's a fullsize truck, so yeah, 14-16 city for me's a bonus. Gonna see what highway mileage is in a few weeks, hopefully exceed's 22/23mpg this round.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Offer still stands if you'd like me to give your mechanicals the once over (visual) w feedback from you if you want solid advise on future needs or add-ons. I really want to see how your's is setup from factory as far as cooling needs for the trans and engine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    He'll lose 3, maybe 4mpg max. It'll be the slow, around town stuff that rears it's ugly head the most. Once on the highway at speed he can recoup part of that depending on the distance driven, and whether or not he wants to draft big rigs or even use a fairing on the top of the cab. .
    3-4mpg is a big chunk when stock he probably gets 16-18 to begin with.. that's ~ 20% hit. Some of that is just the nature of trucks I guess.

fc
    FC,

It looks like i lose 1mpg, if that. 18 to 17 mpg overall. It's pretty streamlined with the airflow as it it doesn't sit above the roof level, maybe 3 inches under that at the base. 120 lbs and it affects handling and center of gravity a little bit.

On city streets, mileage is not affected since the speeds are low. On the highway is where you feel it since aerodynamics is a bigger factor.

The more a vehicle is dependent on aerodynamics, (Sedans, Prius, Accord, etc) the more it is affected by a tent or a bike sitting on the roof. On a truck, not so much.

Also, when the tent is sitting 4 inches above the roof, it has more negative impact, Flush with the roof or sitting on the truck bed, hardly a tall.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Taco looked short todayTaco envy-img_6628.jpg
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome
    Taco's are short...that's why I can't own one...talk about taco envy

fc
    My rack builder Randells built some new steps for a friend. Not really for offroad work of art made from scratch!Taco envy-img_6624.jpg
    Last edited by fc; 06-21-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    update:
    Gen 2 Toyota leaf springs are recalled since they can break. Finally got mine done at the dealer. Only downside is I lost my add-a-leaf 2 inch rear lift. These require dismantling the leaf packs and dealers are not really into that. I sported the SoCal lean for a while.

No worries though as my resident expert grom helped me out and got me lifted again.

I could have gotten my add-a-leaf back but it was squeaky anyway and had a stiff ride. This time, I opted for a $50 spacer block. New springs are smoother and quiet. Spacer block is not as stiff too as the add-a-leaf so better for my application.

An no.... I am NOT buying coilovers.

fc

Taco envy-img_6567.jpg
    socal lean

Taco envy-img_6892.jpg
    easy to manual

Taco envy-img_7789.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    An no.... I am NOT buying coilovers.
    Yet...

fc
    Yet...
    Not today. Maybe tomorrow, or after my first jamboree.

There is that Fox suspension pro deal being dingle dangled in front of me.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not today. Maybe tomorrow, or after my first jamboree.

There is that Fox suspension pro deal being dingle dangled in front of me.
    Why don't you pass on that pro deal to us Taco owners? You know, get some sort of group thing going.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got my Fox's.....they are sitting in the garage waiting to go on along with some TRD wheels. YeeeHawww

fc
    Just got my Fox's.....they are sitting in the garage waiting to go on along with some TRD wheels. YeeeHawww
    #dahell? Pics or it didnt' happen. What's good about them? CTD or Low Speed/High Speed?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    #dahell? Pics or it didnt' happen. What's good about them? CTD or Low Speed/High Speed?

fc

Ill post when I get them on. I should clarify...I got my 2.5 coilovers fo da front...but waiting on my 2.0 rear dampers and a chunk of time (#dadlife) to get them put on.

What's good about them? Well, for starters, you should be able to land stuff like this way more cleanly that this guy did with his stock set-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrsxYp4dO8w

Did you see how much body roll he got with his inferior stock bits? ;-)

Trail Gnome
    Here's my taco...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Not a Taco, but it started it all for Toyota.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-ty_fj.jpg  

fc
    Not a Taco, but it started it all for Toyota.
    wow
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Taco envy

Was on the Carmax lot today as my wife is looking for something new.

Jfc that taco tax is real. It's not even over Priced as it's in the kbb price range.

Also the sun is a total dick and blocked out he mileage at 17k.

Why would I want a taco over say a 4 runner with a 2" hitch. Halp

mtbr member
    I've had two VWs and a Mini Cooper as my bike vehicles. Well the two VWs died and the Mini got sold this week. I've always dreamed of Tacoma but we live in the Bay Area where there is something known as a 'Tacoma Tax'. These trucks usually go for $2-4k more than Bluebook value if they are in good shape.

Attachment 1098236
    Photo: My Dinan Mini finally left the family. $7500 for this 65k mile full Dinan 210hp car.

Anyway, a good friend saw my post in Facebook and offered his beloved Tacoma for a steal. I checked it out and picked it up. It's a 2006, SR5, 4wd, long bed with 110k miles. Drives perfect and the bumpers and paint need TLC. $14k so I jumped on it.

Got it on its first duties last night. It's the white one in the middle.
    Attachment 1098233

The kids approve.
    Attachment 1098237

Let's see your Taco! What are the best upgrades for it?
    Welcome to Truck Life. Much better than showing up at the trail head with a mini

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

Stand-up philosopher
    Was on the Carmax lot today as my wife is looking for something new.

Jfc that taco tax is real. It's not even over Priced as it's in the kbb price range.

Also the sun is a total dick and blocked out he mileage at 17k.

Why would I want a taco over say a 4 runner with a 2" hitch. Halp
    You can get a 17 sr5 brand new for that price.. And for another $2k, you can get a 17 trd off road or sport.

And when comparing to a 4runner(or any suv), it comes down to needs. I haul stuff in the bed all the time that is either too big or too dirty to go inside an SUV. I just happen be be able to throw my bike in the bed without any special equipment (like a hitch rack).
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    Welcome to Truck Life. Much better than showing up at the trail head with a mini

Thank you

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    That is a sweet rig congrats!

Marin County, CA

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    That is a sweet rig congrats!

Daughter loves the 'treehouse'.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    That's taking it to another level!

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Hey fc - did I see you driving north on the 5, just south of Redding, this past week?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Hey fc - did I see you driving north on the 5, just south of Redding, this past week?
    No, Santa Rosa last weekend but that's it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    You can get a 17 sr5 brand new for that price.. And for another $2k, you can get a 17 trd off road or sport.

And when comparing to a 4runner(or any suv), it comes down to needs. I haul stuff in the bed all the time that is either too big or too dirty to go inside an SUV. I just happen be be able to throw my bike in the bed without any special equipment (like a hitch rack).
    Typically I like to buy a vehicle a few years old and let someone else take the depreciation hit. But man with this tacoma's it seems like there is no depreciation hit . I constantly see them going for so much money used I'm like huh.

Problem is as high as that '15 is at 33k, I'm not finding new ones for 35k, I'm seeing them much higher. Ideally I'd love to find a decent one with sub 60k miles for under $25k so I'm not financing more than 10k but 90% of the inventory is 2wd which won't work for me.

Perhaps I'll wait till late aug or early September and try and snag a new 17 when they're bringing in all the 18's, with bonus points if I can hit a 0% interest event.

fc
    Typically I like to buy a vehicle a few years old and let someone else take the depreciation hit. But man with this tacoma's it seems like there is no depreciation hit . I constantly see them going for so much money used I'm like huh.

Problem is as high as that '15 is at 33k, I'm not finding new ones for 35k, I'm seeing them much higher. Ideally I'd love to find a decent one with sub 60k miles for under $25k so I'm not financing more than 10k but 90% of the inventory is 2wd which won't work for me.

Perhaps I'll wait till late aug or early September and try and snag a new 17 when they're bringing in all the 18's, with bonus points if I can hit a 0% interest event.
    That is a good strategy. A Tacoma is a special car where buying new can sometimes be the best deal of all.

The big issue is the new ones, (after 2015) have a new engine and transmission. It's a little more fuel efficient but the engine feels different since it has less low end torque. It doesn't feel like a V8 anymore. So some prefer the 2005 to 2015 (gen 2) edition.

Still keep your eye open for Gen 2 Tacomas under $20k with around 100k miles. They're rare but they pop up for those who are quick.
    IPA will save America

Stand-up philosopher

The dealers are routinely marking $1500-2000 off of MSRP. I see deals for trds in the $35k range frequently (4x4, automatic,no tech package). Sr5s are in the $33-35k range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Jeez, I didn't realize that there was a gen2 vs gen3 choice now. Way to make things even more difficult FC!

mtbr member
    Just do what I did and get a Nissan Frontier. Wish I had a pic on my phone. 10% cheaper than Toyota and the VQ40DE 4L V6 is rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Just do what I did and get a Nissan Frontier. Wish I had a pic on my phone. 10% cheaper than Toyota and the VQ40DE 4L V6 is rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I looked at those before I got my taco. Every damn one had broken cup holders for the rear seats. They are dirt cheap here because there are so many. Nissans are built about 15 minutes from me and their American hq is about 30 minutes away.

The frontiers need an update to compete, especially with a new Ford ranger on the horizon.

--
    stephen

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The big issue is the new ones, (after 2015) have a new engine and transmission. It's a little more fuel efficient but the engine feels different since it has less low end torque. It doesn't feel like a V8 anymore. So some prefer the 2005 to 2015 (gen 2) edition.
    Check out some of the other 3rd gen issues on Tacoma World. I drove a couple, the 4 cyl is weak, and that new V6 is not appropriate in a truck, even with a manual trans. Not much there unless it's reved over 3000/3500 RPM. I was going to buy one, luckily found a time capsule 57K mile 1st gen 2004. Owned Toyota trucks for 25 years, first used one I've ever bought! Used is tough and not such a deal, but nice ones are out there. Patience is the key.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    Check out some of the other 3rd gen issues on Tacoma World. I drove a couple, the 4 cyl is weak, and that new V6 is not appropriate in a truck, even with a manual trans. Not much there unless it's reved over 3000/3500 RPM. I was going to buy one, luckily found a time capsule 57K mile 1st gen 2004. Owned Toyota trucks for 25 years, first used one I've ever bought! Used is tough and not such a deal, but nice ones are out there. Patience is the key.
    Perfectly said. The deals are there for the patient. And lean on your social network to sell you their trucks or help find you one.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Cool to see my Taco grow up on this thread. 9 months later, it is everything I expected and then some. And my family loves it!

I don't commute so only 4000 new miles on it. But it runs like a watch and feels like a new vehicle at 118k miles. In Tahoe now and we're hitting dirt roads after a comfortable trip from the Bay Area.

Mods are fun and it didn't cost me much. Here it was:Taco envy-14608915_10154452105498213_2464570617716717141_o.jpg

Now:
    Taco envy-img_7746-1-.jpg

Mods:

TRD wheels - $400 at Craigslist and moved the tires over.

N-Fab side steps = $150 at Craigslist

Custom bed rack - $200 in materials. Built for free by a friend

Griotts polish and plastic restored - Borrowed kit woke up the shiny clear coat on the paint. Sun damaged plastic was black again.

Fox tailgate pad - the best available $120

Pioneer stereo - $150 self installed and now with bluetooth woke up the awesome speakers. Allowed $20 backup camera

Full LED lighting inside - $30

Front seat spacer kit - $15 plastic pegs lifted the rear of the seat 2 inches since they are tilted back.

Tepui tent - $1200 but not mine

New, upgraded springs - old springs were replaced for free since they can break and rupture the gas tank. Old springs had $100 Toytec add-a-leaf to give it a 2-inch lift. New ones have a $40 spacer kit for the lift. Spacer is more comfortable and quiet since it preserves the stock ride and spring rate.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The Colorado/GMC twins are the same way. Manufacturers like to use their car engines in these trucks which sucks for us. We need more low end torque. That's why the 4cyl diesel is so popular in the twins. It's not fast but it feels effortless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Full LED lighting inside - $30
    LED lighting make a big difference?

fc
    LED lighting make a big difference?

Absolutely!!!! So bright. This is one advantage of new euro cars over old. When you open the doors, the cabin lights up as it should!!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
    IPA will save America

Stand-up philosopher
    i'd buy my 3rd gen again over a 2nd gen. once you learn how to either live with the fuel-economy features or work around them (ECT button or S mode), then it does a really good job. The complaints that most people have are about the transmission, not really the engine, and most of the issues were remedied with transmission code updates that adjust the shift points.
    --
    stephen

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i love my tacoma. 2006. i'd buy a 2017 right now if it was totaled or stolen. right after i test drove the new diesel chevy colorado ZR2.

i drove from Bridgeport to lake tahoe to santa rosa. i got 23 mpg. AC blasting the entire way. it's a good truck. hope it goes forever and never gets stolen or totaled. i am entirely against car payments.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So I'm continuing to look for a used taco within about a 6-8 hr drive but while I do so I'm starting to also shop for new. As someone else said when I'm seeing '15-'16 with 10-20k miles for 32-35k and I can find a brand new one for 34-36k it's worth a look.

I've driven a gen2 several times, I need to drive a new gen3 to see what I think about the changes, but while I shop I'm a bit confused by some of the model/packages.

SR5 vs TRD? Is there any major functionality difference besides the upgraded shocks in the trd package? Most cosmetic stuff can be added on later, as FC did but is there anything in the TRD package that Id' really miss if I went with a base SR5?

Long Bed vs Short Bed? I may have found a unicorn in terms of Tacos. A dealer has a brand new TRD offroad V6, 4x4 with a manual trans for 33k but it's a short bed. I like the idea of a tepui tent and haulin bikes.. how much would I miss extra space of a long bed? On the flip side the double cab is already pretty long, how does a long bed feel in terms of wheelbase and turns etc?

If I buy new, while I want to keep the costs reasonable (lol in a taco thread) I'd be buying a truck that I'll keep for 10-15yrs before I sell it, or hand it down to my son. So I'd be more inclined to spend a little bit more on a brand new truck to get certain features/packages than I would buying third party on a truck that already has 100k on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I looked at used Gen2 Tacomas a for a while and decide that a new Gen 3 with warranty, all miles put on me, etc was a better deal. But then I found a used current model year Gen3 with just 5K miles, and the dealer had to price it below the new ones on the lot. Even so, unless you really want a 2nd gen, a new truck is a better deal than a two or three year old Gen 2 ... in my opinion. That said, the Gen3 does have some drawbacks, but I think is a better overall truck. As for TRD Offroad vs SR5, the differences are a combination of trim features, and offroad function: rear locker, crawl control and MTS, Bilstein shocks and bigger tires. As for short bed vs long bed, I have a short bed and sometimes it's frustratingly short. But I "need" the double cab ... it's our only motorized 4 wheeled vehicle, and I think the length of a DCLB would be painful in town or on the trail. If you're willing to remove front wheels to haul bikes in the bed, or use a tailgate pad or hitch rack, the short bed is fine. And manual trans is good; mine's and automatic but wish I had the MT. Oh, one last thing: a lot of the Gen3 hate on line is just BS. I have almost 35K miles on my 2016 TRD Offroad and it's been reliable and a great driver.

mtbr member
    Driving home from work last night around midnight.
    Silverado Trail, just south of Calistoga.
    Saw one deer cross the road up ahead...
    I slow down for the inevitable rest of 'em.
    Suddenly, out of the darkness on the right -
    Two deer cut into the front/right side of my 2003 Tacoma.
    Slam on the brand new brakes (literally - 2 days old).
    Loud impact. Aprox. 25-30mph hit, slowed down from 55mph.
    No airbag deployment.
    I pull over and back up to a street lamp to access the damage.
    I'm expecting the worst - nothing.
    Nothing's broken.
    That can't be right.

So, today I'm looking at it in the day light and find that the front headlamp is pushed in a bit.
    Which connects to the right front quarter panel.
    The front bumper is pushed in on the corner by one finger's width.
    When opening the front passenger door, the door hits the quarter panel.

Taco envy-35678550672_3426c7b77c_b.jpg

Taco envy-35715852191_175662059a_b.jpg

Taco envy-35678542682_2e93668b79_b.jpg

Taco envy-35037968313_d84ea7c0ab_b.jpg

Stupid overgrown forest rats!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Driving home from work last night around midnight.
    Silverado Trail, just south of Calistoga.
    Saw one deer cross the road up ahead...
    I slow down for the inevitable rest of 'em.
    Suddenly, out of the darkness on the right -
    Two deer cut into the front/right side of my 2003 Tacoma.
    Slam on the brand new brakes (literally - 2 days old).
    Loud impact. Aprox. 25-30mph hit, slowed down from 55mph.
    No airbag deployment.
    I pull over and back up to a street lamp to access the damage.
    I'm expecting the worst - nothing.
    Nothing's broken.
    That can't be right.

So, today I'm looking at it in the day light and find that the front headlamp is pushed in a bit.
    Which connects to the right front quarter panel.
    The front bumper is pushed in on the corner by one finger's width.
    When opening the front passenger door, the door hits the quarter panel.

Name:	35678550672_3426c7b77c_b.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	1145959

Name:	35715852191_175662059a_b.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	1145960

Name:	35678542682_2e93668b79_b.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	1145961

Name:	35037968313_d84ea7c0ab_b.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	1145962

Stupid overgrown forest rats!
    Nice story.... strong truck.

So today, I 'fixed' about 20 door dings on our kid's Volvo. Then I went to work on the Tacoma. I found no dings... zero. Strange but it does have some tough ass sheet metal.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Long Bed vs Short Bed? I may have found a unicorn in terms of Tacos. A dealer has a brand new TRD offroad V6, 4x4 with a manual trans for 33k but it's a short bed. I like the idea of a tepui tent and haulin bikes.. how much would I miss extra space of a long bed? On the flip side the double cab is already pretty long, how does a long bed feel in terms of wheelbase and turns etc?
    So I didn't want this truck initially since it had a 6 foot bed. With 4 doors, it was a damn limousine and I was afraid I couldn't maneuver it or park it.

But I bit the bullet and learned to live with the parking. Of course it gets better with time. Three tips:

- don't need to find the closest parking space. Get the roomiest

- backup camera is key. I installed one and it's a godsend

- learn to backup. The truck is very hard to straighten out in small spaces moving forward. Backing up, it's much better.

Benefits:
    - ride is better. It's like a limo wheelbase. So awesome.

- So versatile in the back. Tent... cooler, 6 bikes on the tailgate, no problem.Taco envy-img_8320.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have an access cab with a long bed. For me a long bed was necessary since I ride motos and needed to be able to fit 2 in the bed. I now wish I would have looked harder for a 4 door. It would have been nice to be able to drive more people around and shuttle properly.

And size is all relative. When my dad has a F450 and a 40ft fifth wheel it makes Tacoma feel like a GoKart that can bob and weave anywhere I want it to go.
    Taco envy-img_6901.jpg

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I have an access cab with a long bed. For me a long bed was necessary since I ride motos and needed to be able to fit 2 in the bed. I now wish I would have looked harder for a 4 door. It would have been nice to be able to drive more people around and shuttle properly.

And size is all relative. When my dad has a F450 and a 40ft fifth wheel it makes Tacoma feel like a GoKart that can bob and weave anywhere I want it to go.

Name:	IMG_6901.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	1146006
    Kinda redundant to say access cab with a long bed. All Tacoma access cabs have long beds.

Last edited by drwx; 07-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    --
    stephen

mtbr member

Taco envy

Kinda redundant to say access cab with a long bed. All Tacoma access cabs have long beds.

Learn something new every day.

mtbr member
    More succinctly; short beds are only available on 4 door models.

fc
    big dealership!!

IPA will save America

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast