Chevy Colorado Refresh: Is This Prototype Hiding it? | GM Authority

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okxk2pfbmrqhed29mlm9.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	1202660
    Ford Ranger and Ranger Raptor
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...e-competition/
    Iím lusting for a Ranger Raptor in that blue minus the bed decals but...

The Marine in me loves that ZR2.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Iím lusting for a Ranger Raptor in that blue minus the bed decals but...

The Marine in me loves that ZR2.
    Ditto on both. Hopefully soon the ZR2 will get the new Turbo 2.7L that the Silverado just got.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Lots of cool stuff coming our way soon!

Name:	7b64310ff9a744a03284419612256cf6.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	1202658
    Chevy ZR2 "Bison"? - More aggressive and overland oriented ZR2
    Chevy Colorado Refresh: Is This Prototype Hiding it? | GM Authority

Name:	2019-toyota-trd-pro-tacoma-5.jpg 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	1202659
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro - Being designed to better compete with Chevy ZR2
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Ups Its Trail Cred - PickupTrucks.com News

Name:	okxk2pfbmrqhed29mlm9.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	1202660
    Ford Ranger and Ranger Raptor
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...e-competition/
    DAMN. Decked out!!!

I see a new jeep too with angry eyes and LEDs and it looks awesome. Looks stock too.
    IPA will save America

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What about reasonably priced large SUV? WTF with getting that extra foot of inner space for a minivan replacement doubles the ****ing price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    What about reasonably priced large SUV? WTF with getting that extra foot of inner space for a minivan replacement doubles the ****ing price.
    Was trying to sell the wife on a Transit in lieu of an Explorer or Expedition for this very reason. Itís gotten stupid how much they want.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Was trying to sell the wife on a Transit in lieu of an Explorer or Expedition for this very reason. Itís gotten stupid how much they want.
    Quigley booked though next year on 4x4 retrofits.

It is all the stupid pickup truck buyers. Want to look macho when all they really need is a slightly lifted AWD van.

Love my Odyssey, but it does not make it through forest roads.

mtbr member
    Love my Odyssey, but it does not make it through forest roads.
    I love my Odyssey too, but after the first time I bottomed out hard on a rocky crossing I've given up taking it off pavement Apparently there are good reasons I should have bought a Sienna instead

I'm not much of a truck fan because of how poorly they drive on the road, but out in the mountains it's hard to argue with the peace of mind from knowing how much stronger the chassis, suspension, bearings, etc are. AWD vans probably are good enough for most places when driven at the appropriate speed, but they don't have that same universal reputation and I see why people feel like they "need" a truck or Jeep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Taco guys. I'm thinking of joining the club and would like an opinion on the automatic I4. They sure are less money than the V6. Not really looking to carry much of a load, but I hate the thought of being under powered. I'm looking used in the 2012-15 range.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jing View Post
    Hey Taco guys. I'm thinking of joining the club and would like an opinion on the automatic I4. They sure are less money than the V6. Not really looking to carry much of a load, but I hate the thought of being under powered. I'm looking used in the 2012-15 range.
    Access cab or 4-door with 6 foot bed?

Going to the mountains a lot or just staying in the flatlands for the most part.
    IPA will save America

fc
    My buddy yesterday had a serious question.... Tacoma or Ridgeline
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would get a V6. They hold value better than the I4, and believe me, once you get a truck, you are going to do a lot more stuff than what you are planning today.
    Also, the different in mpg between the two is small. Itís not a car, a truck weights more, so the 4 cylinder truck needs gas to pull the same weight/load.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    No way! Tacoma all the way!

mtbr member
    Dunno if that could be asked with a straight face...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Access cab or 4-door with 6 foot bed?

Going to the mountains a lot or just staying in the flatlands for the most part.
    I could do with the Access cab, definitely want the 6 foot bed and those seem to be a little hard to find in the 4-door. I live in Sisters OR so there are some mountains involved. I have another truck (Dodge diesel) that I will use for big loads when needed. The Taco is for more of the daily driver/bike transporter

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Ridgeline does have a lot of advantages, depending on use.

Edit. Ah, here it is: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/d...ison-test.html

I remember some test where Tacoma melted in heat.
    Last edited by Axe; 1 Week Ago at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just did my spark plug change. That is my nail-biter project. I have nightmares about cross threading the plugs. Went off without issues again. Was riding a high, so I slid under and changed my oil as well.

I have 150k miles on the truck, so this is my fourth plug change. I got the truck with 30k, which is the change interval. Truck is freakishly smooth idling now.

I do want a bigger rig. My hunting trips are cramped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Very envy worthy, parked at trail head in Pacifica.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-9cc42bb6-dcd9-405a-bc46-52baa9b498cb.jpeg  

Taco envy-348f62e0-1fac-4e20-9d86-11b585ef51ba.jpeg  

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    I just did my spark plug change. That is my nail-biter project. I have nightmares about cross threading the plugs. Went off without issues again. Was riding a high, so I slid under and changed my oil as well.

I have 150k miles on the truck, so this is my fourth plug change. I got the truck with 30k, which is the change interval. Truck is freakishly smooth idling now.

I do want a bigger rig. My hunting trips are cramped.
    What year is your Taco? Just wondering because mine is at 147K. and itís a 2006. Damn thing, Iíve had to change out the battery twice and the tires three times, Toyotas suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    He needs an intervention, Point off to your left, say "look at that sick Ridgeline", then kick him in the nuts
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 1 Week Ago at 08:46 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I would get a V6. They hold value better than the I4, and believe me, once you get a truck, you are going to do a lot more stuff than what you are planning today.
    Also, the different in mpg between the two is small. Itís not a car, a truck weights more, so the 4 cylinder truck needs gas to pull the same weight/load.
    I think this is the key point. Their 4-cylinder is not that efficient. Resale vale.... yeah V6 casts a much bigger net of buyers.

Looks like you have mountains and want the bigger truck so V6.

The Taco V6 has about 270 ft/lbs of torque and it comes at a very low rpm. So, the engine purrs all the time and everything seems effortless. Engine is hardly working most of the time and that adds to its drivability and longevity. Feels like a V8 really.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    What year is your Taco? Just wondering because mine is at 147K. and itís a 2006. Damn thing, Iíve had to change out the battery twice and the tires three times, Toyotas suck.
    mine is also 2006.

I had the OEM battery. I had the shop load test it, and they said it was still okay. I opted to change it just because I was driving to a frozen Idaho to hunt elk. I got an Interstate. My truck has only had those two batteries. I have pretty good luck with interstate batteries. Now dunno? I think seeing them at Costco is not a good sign. It wasnít for optima.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mine is also 2006.

I had the OEM battery. I had the shop load test it, and they said it was still okay. I opted to change it just because I was driving to a frozen Idaho to hunt elk. I got an Interstate. My truck has only had those two batteries. I have pretty good luck with interstate batteries. Now dunno? I think seeing them at Costco is not a good sign. It wasnít for optima.
    I was joking in what Iíve done to it since 2006. I moved from San Diego to Northern Colorado in 2012. So my Taco has seen 6 years in SoCal and 6 years in Colorado. The two batteries Iíve put in were from the deep freeze below zero winters here in Colorado. First replacement was after the first winter in Co. in 2013. The second replacement was from the 5th winter here in Co. Kinda hard to complain about maintenance items being replaced in 12 years and 147K. of use.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I think this is the key point. Their 4-cylinder is not that efficient. Resale vale.... yeah V6 casts a much bigger net of buyers.

Looks like you have mountains and want the bigger truck so V6.

The Taco V6 has about 270 ft/lbs of torque and it comes at a very low rpm. So, the engine purrs all the time and everything seems effortless. Engine is hardly working most of the time and that adds to its drivability and longevity. Feels like a V8 really.
    You had me right up to your last comment. The 4.0 falls off that mark as soon as you hit the hills or need acceleration. If only Toyota would offer a V8 in the Taco like they did with the 4 runner...

Once this truck hits hilly roadways the etrans does a good job of keeping the engine in the power range. But it will gradually will loose enough momentum to move you to the right, so the V8s can pass

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    You had me right up to your last comment. The 4.0 falls off that mark as soon as you hit the hills or need acceleration. If only Toyota would offer a V8 in the Taco like they did with the 4 runner...

Once this truck hits hilly roadways the etrans does a good job of keeping the engine in the power range. But it will gradually will loose enough momentum to move you to the right, so the V8s can pass
    Feels like a V8 from other brands.

I was cruising in a 4runner with a V8 a month ago and that was sweet indeed.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    what..? the V6 doesnt feel like a V8. not even close!

if anything, i would say the 4.0L is on the anemic side of the spectrum. BUT, that is a blessing. that is what i think makes the 4.0L so attractive. it is truly underpowered in an robust package. it is what makes that motor so long lasting. same for the early motors.

that V8 that comes in the FJ80 is also anemic for a V8. it is sluggish and a huge gas guzzler. but from what i understand, that motor is a marathoner. it doesnt have to work that hard.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc

if anything, i would say the 4.0L is on the anemic side of the spectrum. BUT, that is a blessing. that is what i think makes the 4.0L so attractive. it is truly underpowered in an robust package. it is what makes that motor so long lasting. same for the early motors.

that V8 that comes in the FJ80 is also anemic for a V8. it is sluggish and a huge gas guzzler. but from what i understand, that motor is a marathoner. it doesnt have to work that hard.

The 05-15 Tacoma has a lovely torque curve. Hits peak around 3000 rpm and purrs all the way to 5500.

2012 Midsize Shootout: Dyno Day - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

Taco envy-6a00d83451b3c669e2016760b263fe970b-800wi.jpg

It is not a monster by no means, but man it's sweet. I hear the new 16-18 Tacoma is not as good. The graph no bueno.
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 04:20 PM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    I can't stand the Yakima tent sitting 3.5 inches above the rack. Trying to fix.

Taco envy-img_8059.jpg

Taco envy-img_8333.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    graphs?!! nobody said nothing about graphs!

. i love my truck. it's a slow turd, but it's my slow turd.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

the 3rd Gen v6 Atkinson leaves a fair bit to be desired imho. I much preferred the way the Gen2 V6 drove compared to the 3rd Gen.

I'm seriously debating dropping the coin for OVTune for my third gen

fc
    Found some info on this. 12-15 is Gen 2 and after that is Gen3. It looks like Gen3 is quite a bit better when it comes to the 4-cylinder. More low end torque and 6-speed tranny.

-----
    interesting stats on the 2.7 4 banger:

Gen 2: Maximum power is 120 kilowatts (160 hp) at 5,200 rpm, and 246 newton metres (181 lbf∑ft) of torque at 3,800 rpm
    Gen 3: Maximum power is 122 kilowatts (164 hp) at 4,000 rpm, and 245 newton metres (181 lbf∑ft) of torque at 3,800 rpm

That's a serious change in the RPM for peak HP! Pulled the power peak down by 1200 RPM, that's pretty neato.

Also FWIW my 6 speed auto 4cyl stopped hunting within 150 miles of delivery.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Right. The numbers on paper are nice for comparisons but the real world, seat-of-the pants feel is what most will notice. It is what it is, a nicely tuned, eTranny controlled V6 It can't be compared to V8 power

fc

What do you have? Year, doors, engine? And where do you live?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Of course you could always do this to help keep up with the V8 power Name:  Capt0.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  27.5 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What do you have? Year, doors, engine? And where do you live?
    06, 4.0L, access cab.

santa rosa.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    06, 4.0L, access cab.

santa rosa.
    Right on.

Stop putting biodiesel in that thing. I feel like if my 06 4.0L was any faster, I would flip the thing.
    IPA will save America

fc
    The randybuilt rack keeps getting modded.Taco envy-35238513_10156289255903213_7853515921720082432_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

My 2016 long bed served me well but I got tired of the weird shifting, chuggle thing and hunting for suspension noises. After test driving some short bed trucks for work I was sold on the maneuverability and overall ease of driving of the shorter wheelbase and the 2018s drive so much better that I just had to do it. I got an excellent deal on a new SLE without a bunch of options I didn't want. I came VERY close to buying a ZR2 but the dealer started playing all kinds of games by withholding rebates, lying, taking my keys hostage and letting us drive off then calling us to come back with more lies. We decided not to give our money to such terrible people (Fairfield Chevy) and frankly, the crazy high interest rates right now are not appealing. Even if all the wild rebates/incentives were applied to the ZR2 this Canyon was a good $8k cheaper so it just didn't make financial sense. Well as much sense as trading in a perfectly good 2yr old truck can make. :/

She's got a lot to live up to but you have to start somewhere. Dealer let me trade the OEM tires in this picture for the 255/75/17 Geolandar AT G015s I had just put on my old truck. Going to try and swap them Saturday without a leveling kit. We'll see if they fit. lol

Taco envy-qacknsw.jpg

And yes, the bed rack, Tepui and lift-kit will be going on as soon as I get a bedliner sprayed in this girl. Not a Taco but I don't have my own thread to infiltrate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn. I canít see the Pic!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Damn. I canít see the Pic!
    It didn't like my UBB code.

The randybuilt rack keeps getting modded.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35238513_10156289255903213_7853515921720082432_n.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1203668
    Ahh. . . yes, because a laptop table is a must have in the outback.

Lucy, you got some splainin to do.

mtbr member
    The randybuilt rack keeps getting modded.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35238513_10156289255903213_7853515921720082432_n.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1203668
    How does he keep all of that hardware from rattling? It must sound like there's bed full of empties in back when going down the road

fc
    How does he keep all of that hardware from rattling? It must sound like there's bed full of empties in back when going down the road
    watch-like tolerances.

It's bolted on top. And then on the bottom where i rests, there's a seal gasket to remove any movement. The pins for these table are tight and spring loaded so they don't move.

He said he drove Death Valley and it didn't make noise. There was a little side to side movement and he added an internal gusset to stabilize.

Taco envy-img_8390.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My 2016 long bed served me well but I got tired of the weird shifting, chuggle thing and hunting for suspension noises. After test driving some short bed trucks for work I was sold on the maneuverability and overall ease of driving of the shorter wheelbase and the 2018s drive so much better that I just had to do it. I got an excellent deal on a new SLE without a bunch of options I didn't want. I came VERY close to buying a ZR2 but the dealer started playing all kinds of games by withholding rebates, lying, taking my keys hostage and letting us drive off then calling us to come back with more lies. We decided not to give our money to such terrible people (Fairfield Chevy) and frankly, the crazy high interest rates right now are not appealing. Even if all the wild rebates/incentives were applied to the ZR2 this Canyon was a good $8k cheaper so it just didn't make financial sense. Well as much sense as trading in a perfectly good 2yr old truck can make. :/

She's got a lot to live up to but you have to start somewhere. Dealer let me trade the OEM tires in this picture for the 255/75/17 Geolandar AT G015s I had just put on my old truck. Going to try and swap them Saturday without a leveling kit. We'll see if they fit. lol

Name:	QACKnsw.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	1203775

And yes, the bed rack, Tepui and lift-kit will be going on as soon as I get a bedliner sprayed in this girl. Not a Taco but I don't have my own thread to infiltrate.
    NICE!!!! really nice!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i think we are about to see pigs fly.

Toyota is bringing the Hilux to the USA. (with a diesel option)

i cant post a link.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

NICE!!!! really nice!!
    Thanks! I post a pic of the 32" tires stuffed in there this weekend. Should be amusing. lol

i think we are about to see pigs fly.

Toyota is bringing the Hilux to the USA. (with a diesel option)

i cant post a link.
    Say waaaaaat? No way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    yea. motortrend says 2019.

when i try to post link..i get a warning that sight is not safe. i chicken out.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i drove a Hilux in Vietnam when our driver got a bit drunk. it was AWESOME. it's plain and about as exciting as a family mini van in stock form...but with a lift kit, some mod..
    whoa.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

watch-like tolerances.

It's bolted on top. And then on the bottom where i rests, there's a seal gasket to remove any movement. The pins for these table are tight and spring loaded so they don't move.

He said he drove Death Valley and it didn't make noise. There was a little side to side movement and he added an internal gusset to stabilize.

Name:	IMG_8390.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	1203804
    Thatís all great and itís obviously some nice work but that doesnít answer what it is. Is it a laptop table? Cooler table? Eating table?

Thatís all great and itís obviously some nice work but that doesnít answer what it is. Is it a laptop table? Cooler table? Eating table?
    Diaper changing table?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Beer and cheese table

Chess table?

Moderator Moderator
    The next mod on that table should be some soft foam edges and hi-vis tape!

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The next mod on that table should be some soft foam edges and hi-vis tape!
    We determined it is a table? I think itís a door to keep out really really dumb people.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    ďExpedition VehicleĒ shall be a van. Not an open bed truck. It is all wrong.

The table mystery continues.

fc
    The table mystery continues.

for this, really.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  8.1 KB
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Name:  sushi-bar-kabuki.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  55.8 KB

ďExpedition VehicleĒ shall be a van. Not an open bed truck. It is all wrong.
    An expedition vehicle is whatever gets you to where you want to go.

I donít know FC. I still think you are holding back on us.

Name:  E6F07EA7-8C93-4601-BFBD-3C4D7150E511.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  41.0 KB

mtbr member
    Gotta help finance this whole idea somehow

Name:  6822A1B6-6F9D-4375-9C90-CFBE972CB724.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  18.3 KB

The table was an idea I wanted to fill the gap when a picnic spot isnít available. Iím not always out riding bikes and with kids running around, gotta put crap somewhere. Just one of the possibliies that are out there.

With a truck bed filled with this much stuff....
    Taco envy-5fb5a014-adaa-4776-9523-1ecb26f5d87e.jpg
    A small flat spot helps.

Thanks RANDELS for clearing that up. FC kept us guessing. Looks like a great idea and addition, it could double for those wanting the outdoor experience while visiting an A&W Root-Beer.

I may need RANDELS to make me some skid plates for my new truck. I'm thinking of keeping the lift to a minimum so the extra protection would be nice for my fishing adventures.

Taco envy-0r1ebmm.jpg

Taco envy-evenczs.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I may need RANDELS to make me some skid plates for my new truck. I'm thinking of keeping the lift to a minimum so the extra protection would be nice for my fishing adventures.

Name:	0r1EbMM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1204403

Name:	eVEncZS.jpg 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	1204404
    Good looking rig! I'm going to need to buy a new truck next year...
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio gravel bike

Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    Good looking rig! I'm going to need to buy a new truck next year...
    Thanks! The 2019s will have 6-way adjustable seats instead of 4-way which is HUGE because the non-leather seats in these can cause pain in your right leg due to a stiff side bolster and the end of the seat until it breaks in after a year of use.

I drove to from Auburn to Santa Clara and back yesterday and averaged 24.08mpg even with the more aggressive and heavier tires. My red Canyon never got anywhere close! I love this new engine. So much faster!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks! The 2019s will have 6-way adjustable seats instead of 4-way which is HUGE because the non-leather seats in these can cause pain in your right leg due to a stiff side bolster and the end of the seat until it breaks in after a year of use.

I drove to from Auburn to Santa Clara and back yesterday and averaged 24.08mpg even with the more aggressive and heavier tires. My red Canyon never got anywhere close! I love this new engine. So much faster!
    Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking. I was pretty settled on a Tacoma, but I drive approximately 20-25k miles per year. Good fuel economy goes a long way in my book.
    2017 Scott Spark 930

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

what? that is the gas motor? what is the lowest point on that thing? the spare tire?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Name:	0r1EbMM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1204403

Name:	eVEncZS.jpg 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	1204404
    If you're leaving the height stock, don't forget sliders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    May have missed it but which engine option did you get that results in that kind of fuel economy?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    An expedition vehicle is whatever gets you to where you want to go.
    That would be easy. I can just hike there. But I also need all my stuff, carried inside.

Open bed is for construction workers and gardeners.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking. I was pretty settled on a Tacoma, but I drive approximately 20-25k miles per year. Good fuel economy goes a long way in my book.
    Thatís comparable to what I got for round trip from Berkeley to Truckee with about 500 lbs in the back and around 550 lbs in human weight on board with my 2017 TRD Sport 4WD (stock, just a canopy added). How much weight were you carrying in the Canyon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

It's no different than the similarly equipped Tacoma really. The 2.8L diesel is the fuel economy king but you pay a premium upfront and for fuel.

what? that is the gas motor? what is the lowest point on that thing? the spare tire?
    Yeah, the 3.6L. I was pretty surprised after 18mpg avg over the last 2yrs in the red truck. The Canyon we were buying for my work registered 28mpg from Santa Clara to Auburn. Pretty unbelievable but these displays are usually iff no more than 1mog at most. Driving the speed limit is the key though. How can do that every day? lol

Lowest point right now is the air dam and spare at 9.5" or so. That's too low for rock crawling but just fine for most of the stuff we do. Still, I'd like to have a little more breathing room since I don't have skid plates and sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    If you're leaving the height stock, don't forget sliders.
    Aye, and skid plates. I'll most likely just do the same 2" front and 1" rear lift I had on the red truck. I'll lose a couple mpg but it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
    May have missed it but which engine option did you get that results in that kind of fuel economy?
    The 3.6L gasser.
    That would be easy. I can just hike there. But I also need all my stuff, carried inside.

Open bed is for construction workers and gardeners.
    Are you still talking?

Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Thatís comparable to what I got for round trip from Berkeley to Truckee with about 500 lbs in the back and around 550 lbs in human weight on board with my 2017 TRD Sport 4WD (stock, just a canopy added). How much weight were you carrying in the Canyon?

I had a 12" flower pot I picked up at Lucky's when I stopped for a cold drink.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post

Good to know. First thing I plan to do with the new truck is get a shell. Is yours a quad cab? What about bed length (not sure how much that matters)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 Scott Spark 930

mtbr member
    ...Open bed is for construction workers and gardeners.
    And people who don't mind littering the roadways with their gear

And people who don't mind littering the roadways with their gear
    No doubt. And then there are people who who don't mind littering forums with verbal trash. Both are annoying and detract from the beauty of such networks.

mtbr member
    No doubt. And then there are people who who don't mind littering forums with verbal trash. Both are annoying and detract from the beauty of such networks.
    #tacoenvy is real. Evidenced with the littering of this thread with Chevy crap

mtbr member
    #tacoenvy is real. Evidenced with the littering of this thread with Chevy crap
    Well, you know what they say about opinions...
    One gear is all you need.

Moderator Moderator
    Soon to be my new ride.

Taco envy-2018-range-rover-velar-first-drive-71-1280x720.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    JC..that is a nice new truck!!

that is fantastic MPG. fantastic.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sigh ... reading about the 2nd gen 4.0 Taco torque, and 3.6 Canyon/Colorado mpg just reinforces that my 3rd gen 3.5 Taco kinda sucks. Definitely doesnít feel like a V8, in fact seems to need more revs and a lower gear (or 2) than our 4 cylinder VW with half the displacement for many grades. But itís been stone reliable and gets the job done. I did briefly drive a diesel Colorado and it was nice. I also rode in a late model 5 speed diesel Hilux in Latin America recently. The truck itself was nice, enough modern conveniences to feel like an updated version of an Ď80ís pickup, without all the touchscreens and pushbutton stuff. On the other hand, it seemed the driver still had to shift a lot on freeway grades; lots of lowend, but got pretty noisy without much extra power at higher rpm, so lots of upshifting, then back down again as traffic or hills required.

Moderator Moderator
    JC...that is a cool truck and deserves to be in its natural habitat! My new RR is basically a parking lot crusher LOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    Sigh ... reading about the 2nd gen 4.0 Taco torque, and 3.6 Canyon/Colorado mpg just reinforces that my 3rd gen 3.5 Taco kinda sucks. Definitely doesnít feel like a V8, in fact seems to need more revs and a lower gear (or 2) than our 4 cylinder VW with half the displacement for many grades. But itís been stone reliable and gets the job done. I did briefly drive a diesel Colorado and it was nice. I also rode in a late model 5 speed diesel Hilux in Latin America recently. The truck itself was nice, enough modern conveniences to feel like an updated version of an Ď80ís pickup, without all the touchscreens and pushbutton stuff. On the other hand, it seemed the driver still had to shift a lot on freeway grades; lots of lowend, but got pretty noisy without much extra power at higher rpm, so lots of upshifting, then back down again as traffic or hills required.
    People on the TW forums seem to swear by the OVTune custom tuning. I've been debating it for my 17 TRD OR but have held back due to the cost.

Here's a pretty good and seemingly honest owner review for a 2018 Tacoma. Maybe a little premature at only 2mo of ownership but he has soom good points and the fuel economy he's pulling is pretty wild. I'm assuming he doesn't drive the typical LA style commute pattern of 0-80-0mph. A little difficult to sit through but worth a watch if you're considering a Taco for more than just max off-road capability.

Always check Fuelly.com for real world fuel economy averages for any vehicle you are interested in. It can help tone down expectations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The old 2014 taco with Icon stage 3 and EMU springs 33ís

The new 2016 f150 Icon stage 3 with 35ís

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910