Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Let's Ride!

Sunday Ride, Folsom/Auburn/???

Finally got my new Stump Jumper FS bike and am wanting to Ride this Sunday Morning, anyone planning on riding, I don't know the trails so pick a spot and I'll follow? 10:00 am or so??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    Finally got my new Stump Jumper FS bike and am wanting to Ride this Sunday Morning, anyone planning on riding, I don't know the trails so pick a spot and I'll follow? 10:00 am or so??
    I would recommend Granite Bay/Folsom. The GB trails drain better after rainy weather. With rain scheduled on Saturday, the Auburn trails will be way too wet and soft
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What Brewtality said... Auburn is not much fun when soggy (plus it chews up the nice trails)... GB is much better in this weather, which is where I will probably be if I ride MTB this weekend.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Let's Ride!
    Sounds good to me........Any suggestions for somewhere that will let me "play" for a few hours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    auburn is going to be pretty wet this weekend since the rain isn't supposed to be totally over until friday. personally i'm giving them a week to dry out so am thinking of heading up that way next weekend, not this one...might try to get a last day of skiing saturday. you have to be flexible with your outdoor activities in california!!

mtbr member
    Does anyone have the trail head for the granite bay trails on a map somewhere? Never did those trails but i would really like to try them.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragos View Post
    Does anyone have the trail head for the granite bay trails on a map somewhere? Never did those trails but i would really like to try them.
    me too!!!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if I'm going Sunday or not. Technically I've not been release from the doc yet. If I do Iíll be happy to show ya the trails at GB but warning I wonít be going fast.

mtbr member
    Yah, that's why I wanted the trailheads on like google maps or something... I'm out of shape and slow... don't need anyone waiting for my slow ars

mtbr member

Auburn

There are trails that are fine in Auburn even with a deluge like the one we are having. I might be doing that on Saturday. Connector, FDLT and of course Culvert are definatley out of the question for a while.
    Last edited by bigboulder; 04-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Let's Ride!
    Yah, that's why I wanted the trailheads on like google maps or something... I'm out of shape and slow... don't need anyone waiting for my slow ars
    Hey Dragos, I'm a new and potentially slow guy, if you wanna meet, I think I'm going to plan to be Here Rangers out at Granite Bay at 10:30 on Sunday morning............just explore for a bit I guess.......PM if anyone wants my number and wants to meet up.....

doug

mtbr member
    Sunday is feeling like a road bike kinda day.
    :wq

Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Nov 2009
    A good way to extend GB is to start at the Cavitt Junior High parking lot. Stay right and ride past the gate, around the locker rooms, then along the fence of the fields to the fence. From there ride the dirt path to the levee then take that to the GB boat ramp area. Here is what I rode last Saturday:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...ee602eb1945f29

(Don't mind the time, there was a race going on so it was much slower than normal due to runners all along the levee)

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Sunday is feeling like a road bike kinda day.
    Agreed. Rattlesnake Bar Road seems like a good one. I haven't climbed that since October 2010.

mtbr member
    On the same note where would someone purchase a Day or Year pass to be able to park in there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Agreed. Rattlesnake Bar Road seems like a good one. I haven't climbed that since October 2010.
    A friend of mine is leading a 50 miler from Folsom Bike Sunday that will go up to Auburn and do some climbing up there (about 4k overall). He says 17-18 mph on the flats. I might go.
    :wq

Nov 2009
    You can purchase a pass at the gate. But if I remember correctly to buy an annual pass at the gate you need cash. There isn't a cc option for annual pass, but there is a cc kiosk for a day pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterMustard View Post
    You can purchase a pass at the gate. But if I remember correctly to buy an annual pass at the gate you need cash. There isn't a cc option for annual pass, but there is a cc kiosk for a day pass.
    Thanks! also thanks for the Google maps link earlier, i might go that route to make it a little longer and free... hopefully you don't get a ticket for parking at a school......

Nov 2009
    You won't get a ticket. It is a major parking spot for lake users on the weekend, as well as people using the fields during soccer season.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    A friend of mine is leading a 50 miler from Folsom Bike Sunday that will go up to Auburn and do some climbing up there (about 4k overall). He says 17-18 mph on the flats. I might go.
    As soon as you mentioned that, I knew it was a JoelS Hammerin' Wheels ride. Unfortunately I'm not strong enough to maintain his pace for long, so I never go on his rides. Besides, I don't do morning rides until the summer. It's much more pleasant to ride in the afternoon during the winter and early spring.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    As soon as you mentioned that, I knew it was a JoelS Hammerin' Wheels ride. Unfortunately I'm not strong enough to maintain his pace for long, so I never go on his rides. Besides, I don't do morning rides until the summer. It's much more pleasant to ride in the afternoon during the winter and early spring.
    is that a road ride?? I'm used to River Ride and S. River Rides, those are 25+ mph on the flats...........I only hung on for the whole Saturday River Ride once............S. River Ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays is fun..... 30 Miles and you do it in about an hour and fifteen minutes........fast pace lines with a few sprints...........good stuff.......I'm out of shape since last summer though........

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    is that a road ride?? I'm used to River Ride and S. River Rides, those are 25+ mph on the flats...........I only hung on for the whole Saturday River Ride once............S. River Ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays is fun..... 30 Miles and you do it in about an hour and fifteen minutes........fast pace lines with a few sprints...........good stuff.......I'm out of shape since last summer though........
    Yup. The Hammerin' Wheels has a road bike club and a mountain bike club. The ride nachomc mentioned is a road ride.

I've heard of the River Ride. No way in hell I could maintain that pace!

Let's Ride!
    River Ride starts at 9:45 for the slightly slower, then 10:00 am for the fast at City Bicycle Works Downtown (around back) every saturday, rain or shine..........Cat 1 and 2 racers are there regularly. When pro's are around for training they will ride..........my best friend has been doing it for 20 years and it's pretty crazy.....people get hurt sometimes..........but for the most part it's a race that's 60 Miles in about 2 - 2.5 hours.

S. River Ride starts and McClatchy High School on Freeport Blvd at 6:00pm on Tuesdays and rides out to S. River Road and to West Sac and back, it's 30 miles and much more fun.

from the web: The "Saturday Morning River Ride" is a large, year-round gathering sponsored by the Sacramento Golden Wheelmen that meets in the alley behind City Bicycle Works on Saturday mornings at 10:00 A.M.. It starts out slowly and innocently enough, but once out on The Garden Highway, the speed surges upwards every minute or two, ending up at race pace (28-30 MPH), even during winter months. The pack is large and unwieldy, and some of the riders have more speed than experience. As a result, those at the back not only get to suffer the dreaded "accordion effect," but with some luck may also witness (or even become involved in) interesting and sometimes spectacular crashes. Nothing will ever cause this ride to stop. From the gutter to the centerline (and sometimes beyond); not for the faint of heart. An easier-going, mature group leaves fifteen minutes early at 9:45 A.M.. They might go fast in the middle, but usually do regroup at the halfway point.

Loves to suffer
    Yup, definitely not my kind of ride! I ride to relieve stress, not add to it. Even if I could maintain their pace, I don't like to make my rides any more dangerous than they already are. I have enough to worry about dealing with inattentive/ignorant/aggressive drivers. Also, since I use my bicycles for transportation and utility, the last thing I need is to be off the bike with a broken collarbone or other injury.

Why am I talking like this when I'm a mountain biker, you ask? Because I don't take too many chances on mtb rides either.

Hazardous to your health!
    one of the trailheads is directly at the douglas street entrance to folsom lake, you "can" park at the stores down the street
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast