Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stuff to do at Downieville besides riding?

I've been thinking about doing a day trip up to Downieville this week and doing 2 shuttle runs solo and bringing my wife up with me. Between shuttles I could hang out with her, but is there anything really creative she could do while I'm out riding? She's into photography so obviously she could walk along the river and take pics but is there anything else that I could sell her on? (lol)

Only requirement is that it is relatively uncomplicated.

Thanks!

Oh and I'm a little reserved about doing shuttle runs solo, especially since there is not any cell reception out there, might have to leave out pauley creek for that reason. Any input?

Singletrack Addict!!!
    There's the tower overlook of the Sierra Buttes, she could drop you off @ packer, hike to the tower, take a few picks, then drive down to town to wait for you, or you wait for her. I haven't hiked to the tower, so someone could chime in and confirm if it's safe to go there solo?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

aka dan51
    There's not much to do. She can eat pizza and ice cream and hang out by the river. Lots to photograph with the right eye.
    I would do the runs solo, but would reduce my speed and risk significantly. That said, on a weekend you are bound to have lots of other riders doing the same trails. Bring lots of tubes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    I just bring my burliest tires (I guess they're not all that burly, weirwolf 2.3's) and run em 45 psi and ride loose.

Yeah the towers is a great idea, but I dunno if I want her driving up those sketchy roads all the way up and down, she's a decent enough driver but IIRC some of em are kind windy, narrow and dangerous, no?
    Last edited by Yody; 06-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Drink
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    lookout probably still blocked by snow

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is she running shuttle for you or are you taking a Yuba or DVO shuttle? If the former (if she's a runner or hiker) she can hike up the ridge from Packer Saddle to the lookout on Sierra Buttes instead of driving up there (steep and loose 4X4 to the lookout parking lot but not too difficult) and there is plenty to take pictures of up there as well. In town, swim in the river (or lay by it in the sun), hike the N. Yuba trail, or check out the tiny museum and few shops in town and up in Sierra City.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Drink
    You beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Buy her some nice jewelry and then you can go solo and not have to worry about it. ;-)

Dropshot Champ!
    haha, was also gunna say drink.

New owners at the pizza place. They redid the inside and revamped the menu. Pizza is way better than before.

Besides that, she could spend an hour or so photographing the old mining equipment. There is a new tennis place a few blocks from downtown if she plays.

Tour city hall?

The river trail across the bridge and over behind city hall is worth another hour to hike and take pics.

For a whole day though, she's gunna be bored.

aka baycat
    Send my better half shopping, which only lasts so long, and to the day spa: Downieville Day Spa

Meet up for lunch and then repeat.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    pan for gold?

and riding solo there is fine - like d-bug said, just scale it back a bit.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    The look out tower is probably one of the coolest things ever. It's a good hike but the thing is perched on a sheer, very high cliff and the cat walk (which you can see through) over hangs the cliff...it's amazing and a must do for everyone who goes to DVille. The views are epic up there too.

If that doesn't work out, try to hit DVille for the Quilt Show...the patterns these gals are coming up with these days are mind blowing. And the stitching patterns...unreal!
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The Dville Museum is cool

I check out once a year. Lots of interesting stuff from the Gold Rush days. It's good for 30-45 minutes.

If she has a friend, the tennis courts in town are usually open.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

I like mtn biking, too
    Graeagle is a cute town with some nice shops, a beautiful lake, and it's right at the bottom of Mills Peak, where she can pick you up. You can also buy a fishing license at the hardware store there.

Definitely recommend riding Mills Peak - especially if you are solo. No cliff exposure, and it's pretty fun and flowy.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    This past weekend my wife took a drive to Nevada City and walked around. She said she had a blast there, lots of shops to check out and bookstores. She had lunch at Welcome to South Pine Cafe | Breakfast, Lunch and Beer | Grass Valley, Nevada City and Auburn which she thought was really good and they have free wifi.
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

padded
    Kentucky Mine Museum is cool, it's off 49 between Sierra and Bassetts, lots of rusty old mining hardware to photograph. Lots of great rock formations all along 49 too, a good photographer could do a lot with the interplay of water, stone and light.
    I'm going up with the family this weekend and was going to ride Mills Peak early Saturday, would love to have company. PM me if you want to ride together.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Lots nice lakes with short, easy hikes. Paved roads to get there. If she doesn't want to drive, buy her a seat on the shuttle, take pics of bears and such. I'm sure she can arrange to take a later shuttle back down.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Have her hang out at 49 Wines! Will is the man and he's full of great stories
    He's has a great selection of beers as well.

Our main stop after every ride

Julie
    She could visit the "ghost town" of Forest City if she's daring: Forest City California ghost town
    The Kentucky Mine Historic Park and Museum is interesting too: Sierra County Historical Society | Kentucky Mine Historic Park and Museum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    D-ville besides biking? Unless you're really into Gold mining history, nada.

Solo riding? Well, our sport ain't the safest. I used to ride solo at Dville all the time. But after I helped the local Search and Rescue pull a kid up from the river some 100 yards below the trail off 1st Divide I quit solo riding. Had he been riding solo, no one would have ever found him. He was lucky to be alive. I don't want to spook you, just share my experience.

Have fun whatever you decide.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

Solo riding? Well, our sport ain't the safest. I used to ride solo at Dville all the time. But after I helped the local Search and Rescue pull a kid up from the river some 100 yards below the trail off 1st Divide I quit solo riding. Had he been riding solo, no one would have ever found him. He was lucky to be alive. I don't want to spook you, just share my experience.

Seriously???
    I've done many a trip to D-ville without bikes. I know there is still snow...hiking in Lakes Basin, swimming, 49 wines in D-ville, Mills Peak fire lookout, Sierra Buttes fire lookout, Under Cover Ale Works - Home, and if she doesn't like any of that Truckee isn't that far away.

As far as riding solo goes...your on the shuttle with other people, team up with someone.

Have a safe and fun trip

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

Seriously???
    I've done many a trip to D-ville without bikes. I know there is still snow...hiking in Lakes Basin, swimming, 49 wines in D-ville, Mills Peak fire lookout, Sierra Buttes fire lookout, Under Cover Ale Works - Home, and if she doesn't like any of that Truckee isn't that far away.

As far as riding solo goes...your on the shuttle with other people, team up with someone.

Have a safe and fun trip

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    45 psi? I'm around 180 lbs and 35psi is max for me. Honey could always drive up Lavezola road to just before the bridge and there's a sweet spot on the river to BBQ some good food and hang out. Free fire permits at the ranger station on Coyote st near Nevada City. Paddling Sardine lake is nice also.

mtbr member
    Catch fish to have for dinner, get more ice for the cooler, swim, hike, get more beer for the cooler, drink delicious beer, arm wrestle bears, have staring contests with mountain lions, or read a nice book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast