mtbr member

Strava and gradient calculations?

So I have been poking around the hills of Los Gatos and have come across some steep pitches of various lengths. Oh sorry, yeah on a skinny tire bike with super tight lycra on too! Anyway, this one particular segment has me asking what grade the road might or at least part of it? If I use Strava and slowly trace the segment, I see a high of 19% grade. The section that I trace when it says that is super steep! I mean steep!!! I am sure this section is only about 200 feet long and the rest of the road is in the 15% range. My basic math tells me it is calculated by Rise over Run. Here is the segment:

Anybody around here ridden it and think that it could get that high?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe they calculate the grade as a percentage, so, 100x(rise/run), rather than an angle.

Ive never ridden that particular road, but on a road bike I've climbed Joaquin, off the top of Alpine, and Redwood Gulch, off Stevens Canyon, both reach about 20% for bits and while they are steep, they're very doable.

PRETENDURO
    Mr. Marshall: you, of all people—seeing as you are a fellow “serial masochist”—should know the steep from the not-so-steep. But you know how “accurate” our Garmins tend to be from day to day. Speaking of pain, you up for a Dogmeat no-dabs run sometime soon during the week?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Garmin and Strava are like two teenage girls spreading rumors. By time the information gets transferred between each other, it's no longer true and completely outlandish.

I love it when I upload my stuff to Garmin and I'm, like, "Yeah boy, 2000' of climbing biotch..."

Then I upload to Strava and I get frowny face when it only reads, like, 1600' feet.

I've seen some pretty weird grades, too. Yeah, when I was in junior high, but I'm talking about Strava. Strava claims Scenic Vista from Harry Rd. is only 10.3%. I say hell-to-the-no, but I guess they use averages. That shiz feels like 20% - what say you Leopoldo to the Porkstack Honey Brett Boo?

Wēk Sôs
    segment grade is from the endpoints, i believe.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Strava claims Scenic Vista from Harry Rd. is only 10.3%. I say hell-to-the-no, but I guess they use averages. That shiz feels like 20% - what say you Leopoldo to the Porkstack Honey Brett Boo?
    Dunno, haven’t ridden up it yet… at least, not that I can remember.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    IIRC Altitude is the most error prone calculation a GPS receiver makes and is subject to the greatest inaccuracy as well.
    Also I believe my garmin connect or strava accounts have an option to use table data for altitude instead of GPS calculated. Can't remember which choice I selected.
    Third, don't many of our cycle computers use barometric altitude measurements? I believe those need at least daily calibration.