swag ho Administrator

Strava Android Real-time Beta Test

They asked me if any of you would like a sneak peak test of the new 'Real-Time' features on Android.

I said, "I don't know, maybe if there's a lot of arguing involved."

fc

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...5-Early-Access
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strava Android Real-time Beta Test-segments.jpg  

Strava Android Real-time Beta Test-ontheroad.jpg  

IPA will save America

I just wanna go fast...
    woah... I'm now on the fence about getting the paid version. I'm guessing it works like split times at a WC DH race- I can hear if I'm up or down and by how much at certain points? That would be cool.

People may think strava is evil incarnate but lots of my buddies use it on our no hikers, no horses, 1 way directional, downhill, legal trail (not even joking) in our neighborhood and this would make the trash talking after even more fun.

mtbr member
    Real time is nice, but if you are just riding to the bar for a few hours you could get busted.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012

Re: Strava Android Real-time Beta Test

Because if there's one thing that will make strava safer, it's taking one hand off your bars to pull out your phone, enter your password and check your status throughout the ride

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member

Strava Android Real-time Beta Test

Strava Androids?

Does this mean we'll have robots flying down the trails, screaming "STRAVA!!!" in their creepy robot voices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I see they are still reporting times to the second, despite being accurate only to ~10 s or ~100 s. :P

Read on a GPS nerd blog recently that the newest greatest smartphone hardware is making use of an entirely separate network of satellites (Russian), and that under ideal conditions positioning is going to be accurate to 10 ft.

For the time being Strava output from locations w/ poor connectivity still almost entirely make-believe.

As you were.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    Read on a GPS nerd blog recently that the newest greatest smartphone hardware is making use of an entirely separate network of satellites (Russian), and that under ideal conditions positioning is going to be accurate to 10 ft.
    Most latest Garmins can receive GLONASS. So does iPhone and many others. It does not make much more accurate, it makes it easier to keep locked - second set of satellites. GPS Block III will be a bigger deal.

default title
    Mar 2008
    All I want from my Strava android app is to ^&()*()* turn sideways when I flip the phone sideways.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

swag ho Administrator
    Anybody actually try it out? How is it?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Anyone use premium strava for real time segments? The only way I would pay for this is if you could see your time mid segment to know how hard you have to push at the end to beat your best time. I don't care about finding out how I did right after, I want to know mid segment how I am doing either in terms of being able to see my time splits or at least a timer of how long it's been on that current segment in the moment so I can use it to motivate to go faster. I have a handlebar iphone mount so it'd be easy to see it without being dangerous, I just wanted to make sure I'd be able to see how I'm doing in real time and not just right after

JHH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    Anyone use premium strava for real time segments? The only way I would pay for this is if you could see your time mid segment to know how hard you have to push at the end to beat your best time. I don't care about finding out how I did right after, I want to know mid segment how I am doing either in terms of being able to see my time splits or at least a timer of how long it's been on that current segment in the moment so I can use it to motivate to go faster. I have a handlebar iphone mount so it'd be easy to see it without being dangerous, I just wanted to make sure I'd be able to see how I'm doing in real time and not just right after
    I pay for Strava and you can do that with the real time feature. But if your that competitive and aggro why the hell would you stop to find out how fast your going mid segment? Even with a handlebar mount your going to lose concentration and tenths of seconds trying to read that data mid run.

mtbr member
    Thanks for letting me know. Like I said, I have a handlebar mount so don't need to stop to be able to see my screen. It would really help me kick it into high gear knowing how well I'm doing near the end, especially if it shows splits the whole segment