mtbr member
    Jul 2016

STOLEN!!! PLEASE HELP: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL - Sacramento Area

Hi All,
    Been a long time since I posted, but wanted to put out the APB for my Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL that was stolen early morning hours of Sunday 7/17 in the Carmichael area near Arden Way & Fair Oaks Blvd. The bike was secured in a shed in a completely walled off/gated yard. They had to toss the bike over the retaining wall, and themselves, to get in and out. It is black/red/white Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL, full carbon, size XL. It has Shimano XTR 2x10 setup, XT brakes, XT pedals, 26" Stan's ZTR 355 tubeless wheels with Bontrager XR1 team issue tires, Thomson stem, Bontrager XXX bar. The saddle is a white Specialized Romin. Please, if anyone can, keep a lookout for my bike - I'd like to get it back from these a@#hole(s).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STOLEN!!! PLEASE HELP: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL - Sacramento Area-img_5143.jpg  

STOLEN!!! PLEASE HELP: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL - Sacramento Area-img_5144.jpg  

STOLEN!!! PLEASE HELP: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL - Sacramento Area-img_5142.jpg  

STOLEN!!! PLEASE HELP: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL - Sacramento Area-img_5141.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ah man that sucks, sounds like they might have cased you, I'll keep an eye out

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I'm sorry

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    How does somebody know the contents of your shed? Looks like an inside job
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    There has not been anyone at the house to perform any maintenance, and we do all our own gardening/lawn care. The shed looks more like a pool house (has electricity, running water, etc), so it appears someone hopped the wall hoping to get lucky finding petty stuff to steal I'm assuming. There are tire tracks leading from the wall away from the house, so I know which way it went out. I never work on the bike in the front yard or garage, & the backyard is completely private. My hope is someone in the community (online or otherwise) will see it and call the Sac Sheriff or get in touch with me here. They, along with every local bike shop, is aware of the theft.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Damn man!! That's a nice rig.
    IPA will save America

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    You might want to tell every local pawn shop as well.
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile
    2011 Trek/Gary Fisher HiFi

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Good idea Emjayel. I did not think about pawn shops. Appreciate the suggestion...so far no leads & I have been on the lookout but have not seen any signs of it (or its parts).

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Ask the homeless too and offer generous reward. Lots of times homeless and tweakers mingle.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    Damn. That sucks. When my bike was stolen in Santa Cruz a few years ago, I handed out photos of my stolen bike to members of the homeless community who hung out at the bike co-op downtown and offered a reward.

I also used a website called Search Tempest to do state wide searches of Craiglist in case the bike popped up.

Oh, and I sent emails and stopped by every local shop in a 30 minute radius to share pictures and let them know what happaned. If there's a sketchy flea market in your neighborhood, I would also check their this weekend.

mtbr member
    That's a nice bike. I feel bad for ya. Does homeowners insurance cover this? I had a friend recently who got his bike stolen and he said his renters insurance was worthless in the scenario. However I don't think his bike was very expensive. Probably under a grand. Yours is definitely worth much more. Aside from working on it, etc, I would assume you ride the thing. Someone could have seen ya driving down the road with it a few times and decided to see where ya live. I often worry about that. I have a garage full of bikes for me the old lady and both the kids. I'm hoping the day doesn't come when they cut a hole in my garage door to get in.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    yes, I wondered the same. I'm pretty quick to get the bike off the rack and in, but it's not outside the realm of possibility someone saw it. There were other bikes in there as well, but that was the obvious one to take. Thank you all for the great suggestions that I had not thought of - continue to keep eyes open if you live in the Sac area for it please.

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    I wonder if those tags you can buy for your keychain that transmit to an iPhone (they are called 'tiles', I think) would be a good idea? Anyone ever use them?

Yeah, flea markets are a seriously good idea. You see people selling bikes and carpenter tools all the time that are almost surely hot.
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile
    2011 Trek/Gary Fisher HiFi

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Tiles are Bluetooth so they have a range of 50-100 ft with no interference.

A home alarm with a sensor on the door to the shed set to instant alert would be best here.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    Not to get into the details but was this the only thing stolen? Opportunity theft is one thing but a planned bike theft is another. It sounds like they planned on getting that bike from the start. I recently moved from a mile from that area and can attest to the random homeless population always being present. We used to have problems on our community groups forums all the time. The closeness to the river brings them in.

Now show me a homeless person that knows the specs of that bike and I would be a little surprised. It is blingy so shiny things attract the bad guys.

I hope you are able to get it back and now living in Folsom I will keep an eye out on our trails, not too many of them around.

Recently I started locking my bikes up in my garage for that chance opportunity theft. I would be covered under insurance but heartbroken as I am sure you are. I do feel fairly safe with a retired SWAT and CHP officers outside all day in their open garages tinkering around. They know everything that is going on and I really appreciate that. Good relations within the neighborhood is something else that can minimize this stuff.

You have a couple of neighborhood watch groups in the area. Willhagen/Del Dayo (of which I belonged) as well as one other that I cannot recall the name. Look into contacting them as well to get their ears on it and maybe join while you are at it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yes, FullBladdy, the Trek was the only thing taken. I believe it happened around 4 am. My wife was woken by the sounds of something "pinging". After she described it more, I realized it was most likely the distinct sound of the Hope hub on the rear wheel. I, too, am beginning to believe I was being cased. Thank you for keeping your eye out for the bike. I'll continue to pound the streets, local shops, bike trails, and swap meets this weekend to see if I can't track it down. Your suggestions (that I had not thought of already) are all very good & gives me hope it just might turn up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Mtber View Post
    Hi All,
    Been a long time since I posted, but wanted to put out the APB for my Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL that was stolen early morning hours of Sunday 7/17 in the Carmichael area near Arden Way & Fair Oaks Blvd. The bike was secured in a shed in a completely walled off/gated yard. They had to toss the bike over the retaining wall, and themselves, to get in and out. It is black/red/white Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL, full carbon, size XL. It has Shimano XTR 2x10 setup, XT brakes, XT pedals, 26" Stan's ZTR 355 tubeless wheels with Bontrager XR1 team issue tires, Thomson stem, Bontrager XXX bar. The saddle is a white Specialized Romin. Please, if anyone can, keep a lookout for my bike - I'd like to get it back from these a@#hole(s).
    https://maine.craigslist.org/bik/d/1...524216396.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That sucks.I had A few bikes stolen from me when I lived in the bay area when I was still in High school.

I'll keep A eye open for your ride up here in Auburn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Check the dates. This report is from July, 2016, despite the thread revival.

Contains no juice.
    Wtf.
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if you’re on a bike.

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Are you spamming a stolen thread with your craigslist ad? Cause that's a totally different bike. WTF indeed.