mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Starthistle out in force...

Did a local (Southbay) ride yesterday (STCP, Quicksilver, Almaden Lake, STCP and home). I've never seen so much starthistle in my life. The trail from STCP to Almaden Lake was carpeted with them along the sides.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    My outside shins are bloody itchy mess. Tubeless tires with sealant, going strong! Death by a thousand pin pricks.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I knew I could post that word without getting another reprimand! Sorry mod.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Nasty! A long time ago I lived in Yuba City and did quite a bit of trail running. During this time of the year I'd come back from a run looking like I'd gone through barbed wire.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member

Starthistle out in force...

Check you bikes and shoes, don't bring any seeds over to wilder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Yup, shins are a mess but tubeless is spot on. MTB acupuncture!!

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Hamilton View Post
    Yup, shins are a mess but tubeless is spot on. MTB acupuncture!!
    Hey Mr. Hamilton,

I agree with you 100% regarding tubeless!

If you'd like the same protection / piece of mind as well as un-bloodied shins may I suggest the following protection. Both products are so light I wear them on all XC / AM rides:

These are great in that they're soft until you need them but are a two part solution:
    G-Form Knee Pads | longboard Knee Pads | BMX Kneepads | Bike Kneepads
    Shin Pads | Shin Guards | G-Form

These are a combination Knee/Shin guard that I actually prefer for most rides:
    Dainese - OAK KNEE GUARD HARD LONG - Multisport Summer - America - Inglese

Have fun however you get dirty!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about the g-form stuff and could see a pair of shin guards in my future for protection against falls, thistle and poison oak. I know that next spring I will have to do something for PO protection, thanks for the ideas!

mtbr member
    Yep, it's nasty right now. Too bad State Parks can't use some of the $54,000,000 they "found" last year to clean it out...

mtb'er
    It'll be a sad day if/when the Sierra is infiltrated by this nasty weed. I didn't realize it could grow at higher elevations... but I also didn't realize the govt. usually spends lots of $ to fight it...

Budget Cuts Hurt Star Thistle Battle

Yellow Starthistle Leading Edge Project

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    It'll be a sad day if/when the Sierra is infiltrated by this nasty weed. I didn't realize it could grow at higher elevations... but I also didn't realize the govt. usually spends lots of $ to fight it...

Budget Cuts Hurt Star Thistle Battle

Yellow Starthistle Leading Edge Project
    Hey Mr. Beer,

We're only at 700 feet here in Coloma and this plant is a major pain in the "you know what"!. Each year it takes a ton of work to keep in off our 1.1 acres. We have a horse, 3 goats, 3 dogs and 11 chickens so I'm leery of pesticides. That leaves me with pulling it up by the root. The labor intensive method seems to be effective but, obviously, takes a lot of effort.

The local trails at Magnolia and Cronan Ranch are overgrown with this noxious pest.

Interestingly, I don't believe I've ever seen it up on the OHV trails east of Georgetown. Around here that area is what passes for deep forest with heavy shade and sits at about the 3k foot level. It is very nice to have local trails that are much cooler than Coloma and absent star thistle! Here is a nice loop up there if you're interested:

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Starthistle out in force...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hey Mr. Beer,

We're only at 700 feet here in Coloma and this plant is a major pain in the "you know what"!. Each year it takes a ton of work to keep in off our 1.1 acres. We have a horse, 3 goats, 3 dogs and 11 chickens so I'm leery of pesticides. That leaves me with pulling it up by the root. The labor intensive method seems to be effective but, obviously, takes a lot of effort.

The local trails at Magnolia and Cronan Ranch are overgrown with this noxious pest.

Interestingly, I don't believe I've ever seen it up on the OHV trails east of Georgetown. Around here that area is what passes for deep forest with heavy shade and sits at about the 3k foot level. It is very nice to have local trails that are much cooler than Coloma and absent star thistle! Here is a nice loop up there if you're interested:

Take care,

Michael
    There is massive shittons of it in the Meadow Vista/Colfax area.

Sent from a tricorder using Tapatalk

I like mtn biking, too
    Time to pour more tire sealant in those tubeless setups! I just realized the importance of that yesterday at Demo, when I had a puncture but not enough sealant & had to slow down my ride buddies to fix it. (sorry guys!) Luckily I had some Stans to top it up. Every 2-7 months it will dry up, according to my bottle of Stans. Depends on the dryness of the weather.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

PRETENDURO
    I’d rather crash in a starthistle infestation than get my tires involved in some tribulus terrestris action:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Don't tell me those little insidious bastids are in Norcal!!!

Happiness was seeing those in our rearview as we left OC.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    So true, star thistle is annoying but goatheads ruin rides. They are the main reason I went tubeless.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Don't tell me those little insidious bastids are in Norcal!!!

Happiness was seeing those in our rearview as we left OC.
    Yes. Sad but true. Transplanted along the major trade and mining routes all across California. Bastardly plant originated in Eastern Europe– now we know where the Polish Joke™ came from, I suppose. :facepalm:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.