mtbr member

Stanford Rock/Tahoe Rim Trail ride report

Yesterday I did the Stanford Rock/TRT loop. Thanks to "grace" here at mtbr for the ride info! The loop is only about 20 miles. I ended up finding several other singletracks closer to town. They are all over the place around the Ward Creek area.
    I ended up adding another 13 miles of singletrack exploring these trails.

Here's the MotionBased link for the ride:http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3897592

I started in Tahoe City to get a little warm up before the climbing began. I headed south to Ward Creek Blvd and took a right. 2 miles up, look on the left for road 15n35,

Once I got passed the gate there was a little creek, but I did not see the road. Then I saw a little trail on the other side and thought that must be it.

Apparently this used to be a road.

The Stanford rock trail goes for 5.4 miles and climbs over 2300 ft in about 3.5 miles.
    The climb is gradual and not too technical. It really is a fairly easy climb. I only walked 2 short sections because I wimped out.

There is great scenery along the way, but there is only one section of the trail that offers a view of Lake Tahoe.

I'm not sure what rock formation is Stanford rock. Maybe the previous rock formation pic.
    Or maybe this rock?

After the climb the trail levels off for a ways. There is then a pretty steep and technical downhill. The trail then gradually climbs back up to about 8500 ft and meets up with the TRT.

I then took a left on the TRT and headed toward Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks.

This section of the TRT is only 1.5 miles long until it merges with the PCT, From that point on no bikes are allowed. The trail is skinny and seemed liitle used.

After 1 mile, the trail got so overgrown with vegetation I turned around.

I then took the TRT back to the Stanford Rock/TRT intersection and headed to Ward Creek.

I noted that when TahoeBc did this section of the TRT as an out.back from Tahoe City that he told Ogre that it wasn't worth doing this section again. I can sure see why he said that. If you're coming up the TRT from Tahoe City there are numerous sections of the trail that have rock steps. It would be no fun climbing this and it would result in alot of hike a biking.

This section of the TRT is best done as a downhill.

This portion of the TRT was very fun going downhill.

Dying Mule ears...Anyone ever notice how much noise these things make in the wind.
    You think some critter is creeping up on you and it you realize it's just the wind.

After coming down 5 miles from Twin Peaks you cross Ward Creek Blvd.

The trail then climbs for a bit and becomes a dirt road for a ways. It soon turns to singletrack again for the remaining 5 miles back to town.

You cross a nice brown meadow.

At this point I started to see numerous singletrack trails cutting off of the TRT. There anpparently is quite an extensive singletrack trail system as you get closer to town.

Here's a pic from of one of those singletrack offshoots.

And another offshoot..

And one more pic of the TRT about a mile from town.
    Last edited by Brainstump; 09-09-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Another sweet write up and pic's. I used to ride the "network" of trails near Tahoe City over 12 years ago while working in Tahoe for the summer. Went back several years (7 or so) and most of it seemed to be still there. I have heard some sections such as Drunken Bear no longer exist. Anyone know more about this. From what I remember, it was above Paige Meadows, off to the right. I used to enter from Bonanza Rd and would climb from there to up above Granlibakken and continue on.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Good stuff. Nice shots on this and the other post. Thanks for the report and motionbased links. That'll help supplement my map collection a bit.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Thanks, looks like lots of fun on a few new trails for me.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    Yesterday I did the Stanford Rock/TRT loop. Thanks to "grace" here at mtbr for the ride info! The loop is only about 20 miles. I ended up finding several other singletracks closer to town. They are all over the place around the Ward Creek area.
    I ended up adding another 13 miles of singletrack exploring these trails.
    Nice...

This is the one section of the TRT I didn't ride that weekend, and have in fact never ridden. I'll catch it next time I do the entire route. Nice write up.

mtbr member
    Nice pics and write-up!

In July '06, we ran into snow well before picture 8, but made it to that point - with some
    slogging through the drifts - before we lost the trail and had to turn around.

We're just going to have to go back and hit this again later in the season.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

What would Pimpbot do?

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    The Stanford rock trail ...... climbs over 2300 ft in about 3.5 miles.
    The climb is gradual and not too technical. It really is a fairly easy climb..
    Great report and pics, but 2300feet/3.5 miles is a 12% grade, on average.

"Gradual"?

"Fairly easy"?

Who are you and why didn't you compete at the MTB Worlds at Fort William this weekend?
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rode it last weekend

My first time up to Stanford Rock. Great ride... I especially enjoyed all of the stairsteps on the TRT.

The climb was solid though. Nothing really terrible, but just a constant up, up, up.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

Easy it was..

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyGoggles
    Great report and pics, but 2300feet/3.5 miles is a 12% grade, on average.

"Gradual"?

"Fairly easy"?
    I'm just saying it was easy compared to other climbs I have done. For example, the climb up Halls Ranch, (across from the North Yuba trail), you gain 2000 ft in 2 miles. This climb involved a great deal of bike pushing and knats in your face action,

(slight return)
    Hey, thanks for posting! Great pics. I think I might have a chance to ride this in October as a warm up for Spooner-Kingsbury-Spooner. I've heard that finding the start is tricky. Is that second pic the actual trail?

-slide

mtbr member
    As I recall, you cross the creek, climb for a while beyond that immediate bank of the creek,
    look for a well beaten intersection and proceed to the right. Going straight at this described
    intersection would keep you somewhat parallel to the creek, but that wasn't the correct way
    to go.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No problem for us

Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    Hey, thanks for posting! Great pics. I think I might have a chance to ride this in October as a warm up for Spooner-Kingsbury-Spooner. I've heard that finding the start is tricky. Is that second pic the actual trail?
    -slide
    None of us had done that trail before, but we had no problem finding the trail. You can pick it up on Ward Creek Dr if you don't find anything else.

Also, the good people at Cyclepaths (near Sunnyside) can give you any needed beta.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

Easy to find..

Quote Originally Posted by slide mon

-slide
    It was my 1st time there, and I had no problem finding it. The 2nd pic shows the trail on the other side of the creek . Once you get up the enbankment, the trail goes off the the right. The 3rd pic shows the trail just on the other side of the embankment. There really is no other way to go.

Here's a link for the map I used to find my way. It shows the whole loop.
    http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/maps/BP-TC-info-map.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ah yes, but but you did an out and back sorta thing. We climb up one side until we get to the big rock (Standford rock?) in your "twin peaks" picture. Then we go down the back side, across Ward to the TRT, through Paige Meadow, and end up at the Trukee River across from the lumber yard near the Tahoe City 'y'.

To get to the other place where I start we go down the highway past Cyclepaths to a little past the Black Bear tavern or something like that. Cyclepaths knows, because they told me.