mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Stanford Rock - Tahoe

It's been maybe 8-10 years since I've ridden this loop, but today my friends and I rode from the West-ish Shore to Stanford Rock. Long, steep climb, but so very beautiful. The rock steps on the descent made it super fun and challenging.

TRT = my overall favorite trail. Anywhere.

Stanford Rock - Tahoe-stanford-rock.jpg
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. Stanford Rock is an amazing ride. One of my favorite climbs and descents. Tacking on Paige Meadows and the lower section of TRT at the end amazing too. That last section is like a video game, so fun and flowy.

I'm up there in a few weeks. Can't wait.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah the video game analogy is spot on. We also added mileage around Paige Meadows and in the maze of trails north of Ward Creek. All to finish off our three day trip of riding North Shore.
    --

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    TAMBA is hosting a trail day tomorrow, July 27 on Stanford Rock. Sounds like a reroute is in the works. http://www.tamba.org/ or https://www.facebook.com/TAMBAtahoe

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Word is that the steep loose technical section will be re-routed. I'm sad to see it go, but totally understand and appreciate the need to make the trail more sustainable.
    --

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    While I would gladly welcome TAMBA to create new trails on the West shore, I am not looking forward to them touching any of the existing trails. Bad enough over the years we've lost Glass Mountain, and had Missing Link dumbed down (at least the features are still there). If I want my once or twice a year fix of fast and flowy, I'll head to South Lake, but I'm partial to loose and rocky. How about linking up Stanford Rock with Blackwood and then over to Homewood and Tahoma? Are you listening, TAMBA?

mtbr member
    I'm going to be up there over the weekend camping at William Kent. I'm riding a slack hardtail (SC Chameleon) and I'm wondering just how tech Stanford Rock is?

mtbr member
    I've been there many times but never saw a trail! We skied up from my friends cabin near Lakeview chair. Great place to ski all along the ridge; I can't wait to ride it. But, I suspect that I'll do a bit of walking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The descent from SR down to/on the TRT is definitely rocky and loose at times. Not sure I would enjoy it on a hardtail much at all.
    --

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    While I would gladly welcome TAMBA to create new trails on the West shore, I am not looking forward to them touching any of the existing trails. Bad enough over the years we've lost Glass Mountain, and had Missing Link dumbed down (at least the features are still there). If I want my once or twice a year fix of fast and flowy, I'll head to South Lake, but I'm partial to loose and rocky. How about linking up Stanford Rock with Blackwood and then over to Homewood and Tahoma? Are you listening, TAMBA?
    Glass Mountain, the TRT section section from Painted Rock down to Tahoe City? I rode that once 10 years ago. That was pretty awesome.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Glass Mountain, the TRT section section from Painted Rock down to Tahoe City? I rode that once 10 years ago. That was pretty awesome.
    That's the section. Don't get me wrong, the new section is pretty fun, but nowhere near the challenge and feeling of accomplishment cleaning the old one. Would have been nice if they kept it in addition to the new section, but they had some lame excuse about it being nesting grounds for some birds that's just not really too believable. I haven't seen the new work on Stanford Rock yet, but I have never seen a reroute made more challenging than the existing trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Daddy View Post
    Not sure I would enjoy it on a hardtail much at all.
    So, ended up doing this ride. Absolutely awesome and maybe one of the best rides I've ever done. The hardtail was fine for 90% of the ride but I did end up HABing a few sections. Majorly loose chunk down from the rock. Anybody that can clean this ride top to bottom is a stud. Tacked on Paige Meadows as well which was super fun. Nice mix of flow and rock gardens on the descent into TC. Absolutely gorgeous out there and such a departure from Santa Cruz where we have about 10 rocks in the entire county.

mtbr member
    Nice! Seen plenty of peeps clean Stanford Rock going down but I personally always weenie out on the right hand switchback by the waterfall with the chunk steps. I mean - I always conveniently stop there to take in the amazing view (and stretch the legs for a few yards).

Cleaning the climb up takes some legs/lungs too. Tahoe rules!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Nice! Seen plenty of peeps clean Stanford Rock going down but I personally always weenie out on the right hand switchback by the waterfall with the chunk steps. I mean - I always conveniently stop there to take in the amazing view (and stretch the legs for a few yards).

Cleaning the climb up takes some legs/lungs too. Tahoe rules!
    That spot gets me too. Every once in a while I pull it off but most of the time end up taking a stroll...