Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Is this thing on?

New Date: April Fool's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Sunday, 4-1

Rescheduled, April Fool's Day Sunday, 4-1
    TSP (Team Social Pace) Lets give this another try, April Fool's day seems somehow appropriate. Sea Otter cross country course recon ride is on for Sunday, April 1st.Name:  myeyes.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  20.2 KB
    Everyone is welcome, thats part of the fun.

Name:  recumbent_bike.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  37.7 KB
    Ride whatever you like, there will be an assortment of fat bikes, rigids and other contraptions.

Meet at Laguna Seca at 9:30am in the day use parking area http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/i...Seca-Maplg.jpg We'll ride the course at a social pace, this is a no drop ride. We'll leave the racing for race day. The course is 16.1 miles and looks to be the same course as last year. http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/i...Seca-Maplg.jpg The ride should take about 2 hours. Fast times last year were in the 1:15 to 1:20 range.

After the ride we'll head into town for lunch. Anyone know a good burrito place in Monterrey/Marina/Seaside area?

Since the stupid map link doesn't work for some.
    St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-lsmap.jpg
    Last edited by Froride1; 03-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Wēk Ss
    Have fun. I can't do Saturday rides anymore.

clydesdale4ever
    Aug 2008
    ah man, I have a little league game to coach.

mtbr member
    I'd like to check it out, first time racing this year, so at least I know what I'm getting myself into

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be there, Ken . Saw your placing at CCCX (and your pic!) - good one, man!

Puro Vida!
    I have a Blur on hold-renting it for the day-but I don't know-supposed to be raining for a while-guess well see as the day gets closer-I'm in if it works out

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I'll be there, Ken . Saw your placing at CCCX (and your pic!) - good one, man!
    Thanks, which pic did you see?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What other kind of terrain will be facing besides wet sand...mud, wet roots, and rocks? If I go, it will either be my Highball (XC) or new Blur LTc (AM/Trail)....hmmm. Are there any fast slippery descents?

Is this thing on?
    Well, from what I remember of the Sea Otter course it is pretty much sandy soil, not much in the way of rocks or roots maybe some mud. Fort Ord isn't the most technical place in the world. For racing I'd go with the hardtail but for group ride comfort the Blur would be fun. Bring the Highball so I can test ride it! The CCCX course would be incredible now. Saturday it was hardpack with some deep sand. It made for some slippery areas but good traction most of the time.

Puro Vida!
    Just went and picked up my Enduro-rear shock needs to be rebuilt-so I figure this is a good time to just get a newer frame as any-hopefully the rain won't be too bad-I'm still debating between the Mojo and Blur-taking a look at Pivot too.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    What other kind of terrain will be facing besides wet sand...mud, wet roots, and rocks? If I go, it will either be my Highball (XC) or new Blur LTc (AM/Trail)....hmmm. Are there any fast slippery descents?
    Highball. Fort Ord is totally XC. There's some technical stuff, some rocks here and there, but nothing like STCP. The sand makes it slippery, but it's not everywhere, and you can usually spot the sandpits.

If you're going this weekend, it should be wet, wet sand (think riding a bike at the beach), and some mud.

There is one hill I wiped out on, in the past. It's fairly steep, but it's all sand and it's like skiing down. I got sideways and went over the bars. I don't know if that is in the race though, you'll find out when you ride the course.

There is also some really steep stuff there, but very short. I don't think that's part of the course, but it will really separate the strong from the weak.

I ride Ord with my HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys. I will definitely race the Highball If I decide to do the Otter, but given the rain the Blur might be a better choice. We'll see as the week ends and how much rain Santa Cruz gets flooded with. As of now, them mountains have received 3"s of rain...

BTW...took the LTc to Demo yesterday and it was fricken awesome! I hit the most stuff by far to date and can't wait to go back. This is what I bought that Blur for, specifically for Skeggs and Demo. One of these day we should get a group ride organized at Demo, it would be a blast.

Wēk Ss
    Definitely, Demo, and Skegg's would be great. I don't quite have the confidence to go fast down the traills at Demo, and haven't hit any of the features (afraid to endo as I've never really jumped before).

Puro Vida!
    I'm liking the mojo hd the more I read about it-this is gonna be a tough decision-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One of these day we should get a group ride organized at Demo, it would be a blast.
    My 456 is almost done - another steel bike (my favorite frame material)!

I'm down for some Demo with this bike. Last time I rode demo was on my CX bike and it was not very fun

St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-comingalong.jpg

Wēk Ss
    plain old 456, Dion? No Evo? I think the Evo is similar in geometry to my Ragley mmmbop (same designer).

Puro Vida!
    Hopefully I'll have a new bike by the following weekend-if not I'll use the older Blur.

Is this thing on?
    Turn by turn directions of the Cat Sea Otter XC course:

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...%20Cat%203.pdf

St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-sea-otter-2012-cat3-xc.jpg

Puro Vida!
    So not looking good for this weekend I'm guessing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    So not looking good for this weekend I'm guessing?
    No man - we're going!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I'm liking the mojo hd the more I read about it-this is gonna be a tough decision-
    HD HD HD HD HD Do it!

Is this thing on?
    It's on man! Bust out the raincoats, waders and rubber boots, we're riding.

Forecast is 50% chance of rain. In California that means in ain't going to rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    plain old 456, Dion? No Evo? I think the Evo is similar in geometry to my Ragley mmmbop (same designer).
    They were blowing these things out with 25% off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    My 456 is almost done - another steel bike (my favorite frame material)!

I'm down for some Demo with this bike. Last time I rode demo was on my CX bike and it was not very fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comingalong.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	681242
    I could only imagine what a painful and bouncy experience that must have been. All though, the last time I was out there some older gentlemen ripped down on his CX bike...badass!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I could only imagine what a painful and bouncy experience that must have been. All though, the last time I was out there some older gentlemen ripped down on his CX bike...badass!
    CX guys are a whole different breed in Santa Cruz. We don't have many of them around here on these trails.

My brother is on Team OTC (think of the Santa Cruz version of Quadzilla) and they are ridiculously fast. Some of their guys do Leadville and 24 hour endurance races.

It's sometimes a trip to see my brother dust MTB guys on single track on his 20 yr. old Rock Lobster.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast