Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Is this thing on?

New Date: April Fool's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Sunday, 4-1

Rescheduled, April Fool's Day Sunday, 4-1
    TSP (Team Social Pace) Lets give this another try, April Fool's day seems somehow appropriate. Sea Otter cross country course recon ride is on for Sunday, April 1st.Name:  myeyes.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  20.2 KB
    Everyone is welcome, thats part of the fun.

Name:  recumbent_bike.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  37.7 KB
    Ride whatever you like, there will be an assortment of fat bikes, rigids and other contraptions.

Meet at Laguna Seca at 9:30am in the day use parking area http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/i...Seca-Maplg.jpg We'll ride the course at a social pace, this is a no drop ride. We'll leave the racing for race day. The course is 16.1 miles and looks to be the same course as last year. http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/i...Seca-Maplg.jpg The ride should take about 2 hours. Fast times last year were in the 1:15 to 1:20 range.

After the ride we'll head into town for lunch. Anyone know a good burrito place in Monterrey/Marina/Seaside area?

Since the stupid map link doesn't work for some.
    St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-lsmap.jpg
    Last edited by Froride1; 03-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Wēk Ss
    Have fun. I can't do Saturday rides anymore.

clydesdale4ever
    Aug 2008
    ah man, I have a little league game to coach.

mtbr member
    I'd like to check it out, first time racing this year, so at least I know what I'm getting myself into

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be there, Ken . Saw your placing at CCCX (and your pic!) - good one, man!

Puro Vida!
    I have a Blur on hold-renting it for the day-but I don't know-supposed to be raining for a while-guess well see as the day gets closer-I'm in if it works out

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I'll be there, Ken . Saw your placing at CCCX (and your pic!) - good one, man!
    Thanks, which pic did you see?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What other kind of terrain will be facing besides wet sand...mud, wet roots, and rocks? If I go, it will either be my Highball (XC) or new Blur LTc (AM/Trail)....hmmm. Are there any fast slippery descents?

Is this thing on?
    Well, from what I remember of the Sea Otter course it is pretty much sandy soil, not much in the way of rocks or roots maybe some mud. Fort Ord isn't the most technical place in the world. For racing I'd go with the hardtail but for group ride comfort the Blur would be fun. Bring the Highball so I can test ride it! The CCCX course would be incredible now. Saturday it was hardpack with some deep sand. It made for some slippery areas but good traction most of the time.

Puro Vida!
    Just went and picked up my Enduro-rear shock needs to be rebuilt-so I figure this is a good time to just get a newer frame as any-hopefully the rain won't be too bad-I'm still debating between the Mojo and Blur-taking a look at Pivot too.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    What other kind of terrain will be facing besides wet sand...mud, wet roots, and rocks? If I go, it will either be my Highball (XC) or new Blur LTc (AM/Trail)....hmmm. Are there any fast slippery descents?
    Highball. Fort Ord is totally XC. There's some technical stuff, some rocks here and there, but nothing like STCP. The sand makes it slippery, but it's not everywhere, and you can usually spot the sandpits.

If you're going this weekend, it should be wet, wet sand (think riding a bike at the beach), and some mud.

There is one hill I wiped out on, in the past. It's fairly steep, but it's all sand and it's like skiing down. I got sideways and went over the bars. I don't know if that is in the race though, you'll find out when you ride the course.

There is also some really steep stuff there, but very short. I don't think that's part of the course, but it will really separate the strong from the weak.

I ride Ord with my HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys. I will definitely race the Highball If I decide to do the Otter, but given the rain the Blur might be a better choice. We'll see as the week ends and how much rain Santa Cruz gets flooded with. As of now, them mountains have received 3"s of rain...

BTW...took the LTc to Demo yesterday and it was fricken awesome! I hit the most stuff by far to date and can't wait to go back. This is what I bought that Blur for, specifically for Skeggs and Demo. One of these day we should get a group ride organized at Demo, it would be a blast.

Wēk Ss
    Definitely, Demo, and Skegg's would be great. I don't quite have the confidence to go fast down the traills at Demo, and haven't hit any of the features (afraid to endo as I've never really jumped before).

Puro Vida!
    I'm liking the mojo hd the more I read about it-this is gonna be a tough decision-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One of these day we should get a group ride organized at Demo, it would be a blast.
    My 456 is almost done - another steel bike (my favorite frame material)!

I'm down for some Demo with this bike. Last time I rode demo was on my CX bike and it was not very fun

St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-comingalong.jpg

Wēk Ss
    plain old 456, Dion? No Evo? I think the Evo is similar in geometry to my Ragley mmmbop (same designer).

Puro Vida!
    Hopefully I'll have a new bike by the following weekend-if not I'll use the older Blur.

Is this thing on?
    Turn by turn directions of the Cat Sea Otter XC course:

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...%20Cat%203.pdf

St. Patrick's day, Team Social Pace Sea Otter Recon Ride Saturday, 3-17-sea-otter-2012-cat3-xc.jpg

Puro Vida!
    So not looking good for this weekend I'm guessing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    So not looking good for this weekend I'm guessing?
    No man - we're going!

mtbr member
    I'm liking the mojo hd the more I read about it-this is gonna be a tough decision-
    HD HD HD HD HD Do it!

Is this thing on?
    It's on man! Bust out the raincoats, waders and rubber boots, we're riding.

Forecast is 50% chance of rain. In California that means in ain't going to rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    plain old 456, Dion? No Evo? I think the Evo is similar in geometry to my Ragley mmmbop (same designer).
    They were blowing these things out with 25% off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My 456 is almost done - another steel bike (my favorite frame material)!

I'm down for some Demo with this bike. Last time I rode demo was on my CX bike and it was not very fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comingalong.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	681242
    I could only imagine what a painful and bouncy experience that must have been. All though, the last time I was out there some older gentlemen ripped down on his CX bike...badass!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I could only imagine what a painful and bouncy experience that must have been. All though, the last time I was out there some older gentlemen ripped down on his CX bike...badass!
    CX guys are a whole different breed in Santa Cruz. We don't have many of them around here on these trails.

My brother is on Team OTC (think of the Santa Cruz version of Quadzilla) and they are ridiculously fast. Some of their guys do Leadville and 24 hour endurance races.

It's sometimes a trip to see my brother dust MTB guys on single track on his 20 yr. old Rock Lobster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What kind of pace do we plan on riding at? I'm coming off a bug right now and I'm pretty sure I'll be slugging along. Must have picked it up before Demo, I was feeling pretty tired and short of breath...next day, fever. I'll try to hop on a bike on Friday and see how the body responds and make a call from there. I wouldn't want to hold the group up, or worse yet, get left behind....

OT...any plans on hitting up Toro for a scouting ride?

Is this thing on?
    It will be a casual pace and no drops. I'm out to ride the course, not to set any KOMs. Even if I haul ass I can't set any KOMs. So don't worry about the pace. Besides, rumor has it you are blazing fast. You'll be waiting for us.

If someone can find the route on Garmin's site we could give it a shot. Saturday would be the only time I could do it. After the Sea Otter pre-run, it will make for a long day of riding. The good thing is the course should be fairly short 4-5 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    It will be a casual pace and no drops. I'm out to ride the course, not to set any KOMs. Even if I haul ass I can't set any KOMs. So don't worry about the pace. Besides, rumor has it you are blazing fast. You'll be waiting for us.

If someone can find the route on Garmin's site we could give it a shot. Saturday would be the only time I could do it. After the Sea Otter pre-run, it will make for a long day of riding. The good thing is the course should be fairly short 4-5 miles.
    Nice, with that said, you could count me in. I just want to get an idea of what the Otter will be offering come race day. By chance is this the same course that the CCCX uses for their races?

Rumor has it all wrong, I'm mediocre at best when compared to the fast guys, but I try. Either way it's all about having fun and unfortunately I'll never have the time to dedicate in becoming fast . All though I've seen your times at FO and you do very well, great job. There are some fast guys riding in that part of town and you fare very well.

Okay, back on topic. I'll see if I could find some Toro courses using Garmin Connect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alan, scouting the course for me will be about attack points and recovery points because I know my weaknesses. Traction, as well.

When I used to do pre-laps for CX, I would look for the fastest lines that would expend the least amount of effort. You see, I'm slow... and I had to always look for the easiest way around! Also, I had to consider barriers and dismounts-to-run and try to get my timing right.

When Ken says social pace, he means social pace! Who knows, though. My "plan" always became very muddled when the whistle blew and my adrenaline started to get pumping.

Puro Vida!
    Damn-I'm still up in the air-suggestions please-should I take the Blur or Mojo to this ride? I'm test riding both-but obviously can only take one-read great thing about both bikes-seems the Mojo is a more versatile bike-and I even have a second set of beater wheels if I ever want to go to Northstar-not that I ever have.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Damn-I'm still up in the air-suggestions please-should I take the Blur or Mojo to this ride? I'm test riding both-but obviously can only take one-read great thing about both bikes-seems the Mojo is a more versatile bike-and I even have a second set of beater wheels if I ever want to go to Northstar-not that I ever have.....
    Mojo 100%

Is this thing on?
    Nice, with that said, you could count me in. I just want to get an idea of what the Otter will be offering come race day. By chance is this the same course that the CCCX uses for their races?

Rumor has it all wrong, I'm mediocre at best when compared to the fast guys, but I try. Either way it's all about having fun and unfortunately I'll never have the time to dedicate in becoming fast . All though I've seen your times at FO and you do very well, great job. There are some fast guys riding in that part of town and you fare very well.

Okay, back on topic. I'll see if I could find some Toro courses using Garmin Connect.
    Not the same course as the CCCX. CCCX course is in a different part of Fort Ord. It is a ~5 mi. course, cat 3 is 3 laps. The Sea Otter XC course is a 16 mi loop.

I get around FO as well as I do because it was in my backyard and I rode it 2-3 times a week. Knowing it like the back of your hand makes it easier. At the end of the day I'm a 220lb, 46 year old guy with a day job so I'm out to have fun and stay fit. The chances of me winning are slim, in the 45-54 cat 3 class the guys at the front are 50lb lighter and in Clydesdale's they are 20 years younger. My goal in the Sea Otter is the front half of the field, realistically mid pack. In CCCX I would love to be in the top 10. I think I can do it with a little work. Judging by the times and how I felt at the end I would have been nearly the same place in Cat 2. That bodes well for moving up a class next year.

Alan, scouting the course for me will be about attack points and recovery points because I know my weaknesses. Traction, as well.

When I used to do pre-laps for CX, I would look for the fastest lines that would expend the least amount of effort. You see, I'm slow... and I had to always look for the easiest way around! Also, I had to consider barriers and dismounts-to-run and try to get my timing right.

When Ken says social pace, he means social pace! Who knows, though. My "plan" always became very muddled when the whistle blew and my adrenaline started to get pumping.
    I pre-rode about half of the CCCX course before the race and it helped a lot. I did the same thing as you, looked for good lines and places to pass. Pre-riding the Sea Otter is to get a feel for the course. I won't remember most of it other than how much effort it took. There is a CCCX race two weeks before the Sea Otter, might be a good day to race, then pre-ride the Sea Otter course again.

Yes, I plan on a SOCIAL PACE. I want to do a group ride not a hammerfest. Race day will be another story, the it'll be elbows out racing

I was surprised how not adrenaline addled I was. I didn't have much of a plan other than try and be consistent, don't crash and finish. I have a feeling that will all go out the window in the next race when I push myself. But there is no other way to figure out how to race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was surprised how not adrenaline addled I was.
    That's really good. I got shot with adrenaline just watching the video of the last CCCX - I think I have PTSD from it!

The course was nearly identical to the CX stuff, only we had to do barriers and run-ups. I recognize a lot of that stuff. I recognize the fire road climb, too - can you believe they had us START at the bottom of that thing?! If I can recall, that goes to pavement, and then back to dirt.

I was doing 4 laps in 45 minutes on the CX course - at least that was my time.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    The Sea Otter XC course is a 16 mi loop.
    Yes, but that's Cat 3. Cat 2 is 20 miles.

Ali

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pisiket View Post
    Yes, but that's Cat 3. Cat 2 is 20 miles.

Ali
    According to the website, the course is 14.4 miles. (for us Cat 3 peeps)

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...0distances.pdf

mtbr member
    Ok guys, so i really want to join you guys but I'm worried about holding the group back too much. I signed up to race the Otter back in November right before paternity leave. I thought I would have all kinds of time to ride, but reality set in. No ridding for the last 2 months. I'm a big boy running at 290 and 6' 2". I want to see what I'm up against. I have been ridding 10+ miles 4-5 days a week at STP the last 2 weeks in hopes of being able to at least finish on race day. What you guys think? Can I tag along?

Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Count me in for this ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post
    Ok guys, so i really want to join you guys but I'm worried about holding the group back too much. I signed up to race the Otter back in November right before paternity leave. I thought I would have all kinds of time to ride, but reality set in. No ridding for the last 2 months. I'm a big boy running at 290 and 6' 2". I want to see what I'm up against. I have been ridding 10+ miles 4-5 days a week at STP the last 2 weeks in hopes of being able to at least finish on race day. What you guys think? Can I tag along?

Come on out Pedro!

Puro Vida!
    Yeah come on out! I'm back after over a year-first kid and new home remodel-so I hear you-these guys are great-theyre slow and easy to keep up with!! No-not really but they're cool and I'm cool and slow! So make it happen-join Team Social Pace!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What kind of pace do we plan on riding at? I'm coming off a bug right now and I'm pretty sure I'll be slugging along. Must have picked it up before Demo, I was feeling pretty tired and short of breath...next day, fever. I'll try to hop on a bike on Friday and see how the body responds and make a call from there. I wouldn't want to hold the group up, or worse yet, get left behind....
    It's alright. No worries, since you haven't been riding a very long time.

Puro Vida!
    Does anyone have any clue what the weather has been like there? Has it been raining a little, somewhat, oh my?????

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    It's alright. No worries, since you haven't been riding a very long time.
    Since I haven't been riding a very long time? Not quite sure what the relevance is, but okay.

Do you plan on going?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone have any clue what the weather has been like there? Has it been raining a little, somewhat, oh my?????
    Robert, if you end up renting the Mojo feel free to hop on my bike and give them a side by side comparison. My frame is a large Blur LTc but SC runs somewhat small in the TT area. Just a thought.

BTW...does anyone plan on meeting up somewhere local and cruising up together?

Puro Vida!
    Appreciate that-as long as I don't get sick-seems like its trying to take me down-but I REfUSe! I'll be there on the Mojo-was thinking of renting both and asking if someone wanted to ride and switch with me during the ride-but I may take you up on your offer-it's a tough decision-but I'm lucky to have such a decision-both bikes have a lot going for them.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    According to the website, the course is 14.4 miles. (for us Cat 3 peeps)

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...0distances.pdf
    Sea Otter site has conflicting information left and right.

Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 19-22, 2012 | Athlete Guide | Mountain Bike Races | SRAM Cross Country

Quote from that page: CAT 3 (beginner) course: [...] 16.1-mile course.

Another screw up is the start times. Although the pdf that you have shown says 9am, the link above says 8am for every day. Oh wait! 8am are the "preride" times. My bad. But thank you Sea Otter for providing such a clear page.

Then let's look at the maps here:

Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 19-22, 2012 | Athlete Guide | Course Maps | Cross Country

The legend on the Pro/Cat 1/Cat 2 map clearly says 39.8 miles but we all know that Cat 2 is 20 miles.

And again, Cat 3 is 16.1 miles on those maps.

Was it two years ago? They have started the races about half an hour late because they had just discovered that the race times were announced that much off on a local paper, so they had to honor that time. Ayayay!

Ali

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Appreciate that-as long as I don't get sick-seems like its trying to take me down-but I REfUSe! I'll be there on the Mojo-was thinking of renting both and asking if someone wanted to ride and switch with me during the ride-but I may take you up on your offer-it's a tough decision-but I'm lucky to have such a decision-both bikes have a lot going for them.
    This is my second Blur, the first one is now my brothers. I felt a medium frame was too small after riding my large Highball. The Blur I currently own is a fully rigged lXTR am/trail bike with a 1 x10 setup. It's not intended to be a fast XC bike but it sure does feel good at Demo.

My offer stands and you're more than welcome to give it a shot. Do you use SPD or Eggbeater? I'm a SPD user.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pisiket View Post
    Sea Otter site has conflicting information
    Thanks for clearing that up! Geez, somebody over there needs to get it together. People travel from all over the country to participate in this thing.

Puro Vida!
    Yeah I would be more than happy to check out your Blur-would really be great to compare the two at the same place and time. I'm hoping to use either the Blur or HD as my take everywhere bike so hoping I choose correctly. I actually use Time pedals.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post

I think you can do it!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i4Dc-J_mD7c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    All are welcome. It looks to be a bit damp so be ready for a sloppy ride.

mtbr member
    where is the meeting location? The link isnt working for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast