"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Squeeeeeeky brakes with dusty conditions ?!

Anyone else having issues with REALLY noisy brakes in these dusty conditions ? My brakes are the loudest I've ever heard them when I'm on dusty trails and there doesn't seem to be a remedy. I washed them well and then even sanded the roters a little...

For example - I did a quick Tamarancho loop after work yesterday and on the trail the brakes were SOOO LOUD... then as soon as I hit Iron Springs road for a minute the brakes stopped making much noise....

Have other people noticed the same issue or is it my Avid Juicy 7s ?

Squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll lllllllllll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhruth

it is most likely your brakes, I have the Avid Juicy 7's too on my bikes and seriously I think people can hear me coming from a mile away sometimes. one thing I noticed too though, is that they squeek more when the temps change rather than in dusty conditions. If I ride someplace like the headlands or demo they will squeek much more b/c the brakes cool off on the extended climbs and then I use them alot (more than I should) on the descents. Then they cool off again on the climbs, etc. I get much less squeek at places like Annadel, Tamarancho, Water Dog, etc. where I am using the brakes more consistently.

unfortunately I don't think there is much we can do with noise. someone suggested the avid brake with a hayes rotor, but I haven't been that adventurous or really cared enough to try.
    "You want on the Rutgers bandwagon? Don't bother. There's no room."

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    if y'all are using metal pads try switching to resin....worked on my xtr's
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

Yea - a mile away for sure...

They are REALLY loud.... REALLY loud....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Yeah, I get squeek on the Juicy7s

Quote Originally Posted by jhruth
    It seems to come and go. I'm not sure that it's always dust that causes it. But it does seem pretty loud at times, especially when riding some lesser-known trails.

I try to remember to wipe down my rotors pre-ride.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

swag ho Administrator
    Your problem is two-fold, pads and rotors. The stock Avid pads are excessively hard. They stop real good but they are noisy and don't modulate well.

Any softer brake pad will do better. The EBC Greens work really well.
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...=CM-BRA-CFA394

The other problem is the Avid rotor surface is not machined sufficiently. I've tried using other brand rotors on my Juicy 7s and they are quieter and modulate better.

fc
    IPA will save America

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Your problem is two-fold, pads and rotors. The stock Avid pads are excessively hard. They stop real good but they are noisy and don't modulate well.

Any softer brake pad will do better. The EBC Greens work really well.
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...=CM-BRA-CFA394

The other problem is the Avid rotor surface is not machined sufficiently. I've tried using other brand rotors on my Juicy 7s and they are quieter and modulate better.

fc
    Second the EBC Green pads for most riding in the SF Bay Area. Our clay trails don't need as heavy duty pads as rock and sand based trails.

EBC greens were most quiet for my Avids.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have had awesome results with Galfer Metallic pads. My old XTR pads scared off every living thing within a 1 mile radius. Even other mountain bikers

With the galfers, they might make a peep every now and then, but it's just for a second and then back to quiet. They have been to many Sierra trips with tons of dust and I am one with nature again.

Pricepoint has them for $15...

mtbr member
    My Codes have a tendancy to squeal like a pig; but worth every second of it...

Slowest Rider

Second the Galfers

Quote Originally Posted by FSRguy
    I have had awesome results with Galfer Metallic pads. My old XTR pads scared off every living thing within a 1 mile radius. Even other mountain bikers

With the galfers, they might make a peep every now and then, but it's just for a second and then back to quiet. They have been to many Sierra trips with tons of dust and I am one with nature again.

Pricepoint has them for $15...
    I found the Galfer pads helped a lot with sqeal on my 8" Saint brakes (same as XT). Once they got dirty, Shimano metallic pads squealed like crazy in most all conditions and drove me nuts. The resins weren't as noisy but didn't last long, especially at my large size. The Galfer pads were even better than the resins at noise (almost never a squeal), and like the metallic pads for lifetime. All around they were an excellent pad.

I use the red semi-metallic pads, not the green organic pads that don't last as long.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 09-09-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

just along for the ride
    I like the noise, don't have to ring the bell and if it gets bad, turn up the ipod to keep one sane?

Coors, the american beer.
    glad to know im not the only one having this problem i got an 06 enduro with juicy 7's ... recently replaced the rear pads with oem avid and yea that **** is hella loud ... but on the last 3 rides it hasnt been TOO bad ... its hot up here in chico though.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever