Thread: Sportlegs

mtbr member
    May 2007

Sportlegs

Just tried them for the first time this weekend. I rode a route I have done many times, and it seemed a bit easier than in the past. It was the typical China Camp route -- starting at the kiosk, then up to the Nike missile site and then down. Not a long ride by any means, but thought I'd see if they make any noticeable difference.

This route up ends on a really steep paved street (around 20% grade for a 1/4 mile or so), and the grind up that in granny definitely seemed different. Normally, I feel a burn when trying to accelerate over the little bumps, which happens when I weave off the smooth parts. No burn this time. It was a bit like my only limitation was how much Oxygen I could take in.

Ok, it was only once. And, except for the steep part up to the top, not a really tough climb. But, it really seemed to work. The question I have is whether or not it was just a placebo effect or not. Who knows?

I was hoping to find something that would keep the cramps away for long rides (Boggs 3 this coming weekend, for instance). I cannot say for sure yet, but it seems like this may be the stuff. Anyone try these, or any similar products? Are there similar products to sportlegs?

MSH
    mtbr member
    I'm by no means an expert on this, however, from my understanding Sportlegs help buffer lactic acid buildup and the burn associated, while Endurolytes, Nuun, Elete, etc help keep your electrolyte balance in check and assist in cramp prevention.

I personally have been using Sportlegs and Nuun (along with the Hammer AF pills on longer rides) and the combo has worked well for me.

MSH

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i've found they work better as suppositories...........

kidding.....they work for me (orally)......
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

jms
    mtbr member

in your case

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i've found they work better as suppositories...........
    kidding.....they work for me (orally)......
    Is there a difference in your case? Juuust kidding! I'm going over my show tune selections for Saturday

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    ...I'm going over my show tune selections for Saturday
    bastid....BASTID....BASTID.....BASTID......arrrggg gghhhhhhhhh

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Capricious youth...
    They work great! Although, if you look at the ingredients, you could probably buy whatever is in it in generic form from Target for like $5 a bottle.

On a side note, I just picked up some generic (Centrum-like) men's daily multi-vitamin from Target (100 ct.) for like $5.99, and man. My ride last night felt good.

Just saying... you pay a lot for that label, I'm sure.
    Meh.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Sportlegs never worked for me!

Well, it might have worked if I ever tried, but then I might think that it worked even though what worked might have been the bad beef that I did not eat the previous night. Or the wonderful imbibing experience that I might have had with that delicious Ethiopean Sidamo coffee that I might have serendipidated at Red Rock Coffee a week ago. Or the altered state of my mind after browsing that thesaurus... etc...

[OT aside: The Sidamo coffee reference is absolutely true: I bought the best coffee ever last week at Red Rock Coffee in Mountain View. Never gets bitter. I drank the remaining of it after 6 hours; it was like wine. Wonderful. I thank the guy at Red Rock who recommended that I should get it. (Not kidding at all!)]

The point: Opinions are just that. (I never would imagine that I would ever say that. ) There is no S in "opinions". Ooops, there is... Ok: There is no "science" in "opinions"... There!

Ali

Lusus Naturae
    I JUST got a bottle of them last week and tried them for the first time at the latest CCCX race. Although I have not come close to cramping at any of the races (probably because I'm too lazy to push hard enough, or my lungs just cant keep up yet) I did feel at this race that I had a better performance and did not feel the "burning" pain on the final lap(3rd).

I also felt very good after the race and stayed around to do another lap with some friends, including doing the bermed section 3 or 4 times in a row.

At $25 per bottle, they're a pain in the butt (ask CHUM!) and I suppose you could find the same ingredients elsewhere (no, its not Meth, however tempting that might be).

As for multi-vitamins, just picked up another bottle at GNC. I can't overstate the importance of and benefits of multi-vitamins. I don't use them daily but a couple times a week just to be sure. This isnt just something for nutrition freaks. Anyone who works out or rides a lot should be adding this to their diets. They feel good too!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sounds pretty positive -- maybe this isn't just a placebo effect. Cool! I'll have them at Boggs 3 if anyone wants to try them. As long as CHUM sticks to oral ingestion of them, that is

Interesting comments on the multi-vitamins. I hadn't thought about them doing much, but I guess it makes sense. Also, I've been using the camelbak stuff for electrolytes, but when I use it full strength, there is too much of that taste. Maybe I'll try the NUUN -- they have that @ rei I think.

mtbr member
    I've had cramping issues during races for year, especially on technical courses like shasta and Downieville. Sportlegs has helped me a lot! I do not cramp up nearly as much as I used to
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    As for multi-vitamins, just picked up another bottle at GNC. I can't overstate the importance of and benefits of multi-vitamins. I don't use them daily but a couple times a week just to be sure. This isnt just something for nutrition freaks. Anyone who works out or rides a lot should be adding this to their diets. They feel good too!
    I am very sorry but I heard way too many non-science at mtbr.com. I care, because it's beyond entertaining at this point.

You are talking about the importance and benefits of multi-vitamins? Yes they are very important and beneficial to those who make money from them. But your comments may be taken as if you're talking about the importance and benefits to the individual.

You are wrong NoBalance: multi-vitamins are at least extra and unnecessary work for the liver, and in some cases plain poison! Please don't recommend them.

Multi-vitamins are a product of American nutrition habits, which is proven repeatedly to be a failure. Don't take multi-vitamins. Take single-vitamins as recommended by a doctor; because in that case you're probably under some treatment, which reduces that particular vitamin in your body.

"Works out or rides a lot"? Who does that? I am doing what my physical self is supposed to do. Riding less than this much would be doing less than that. Again, no multi-vitamins needed for something I naturally do, namely physical activity.

A better recommendation is: eat food.

Ali

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdave
    Interesting comments on the multi-vitamins. I hadn't thought about them doing much, but I guess it makes sense.
    Similar comments have been around for decades. It doesn't make a difference whether they make sense or not. Please do your research on the harmful effects of multi-vitamins. Googling for "multi-vitamins harmful" may help.

Ali

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdave
    ....Also, I've been using the camelbak stuff for electrolytes, but when I use it full strength, there is too much of that taste. Maybe I'll try the NUUN -- they have that @ rei I think.
    That's the beauty of Nuun...camelbak non-funk factor friendly + tastes much better. The triberry flavor is what I like. I get it at sports basement, since they have real good prices + they offer corp discounts for a lot of Bay area corporate employees.... stores in SF, Sunnyvale, & walnut creek if you aren't familiar with them

MSH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    Similar comments have been around for decades. It doesn't make a difference whether they make sense or not. Please do your research on the harmful effects of multi-vitamins. Googling for "multi-vitamins harmful" may help.

Ali
    Can I be the devil's advocate here and state that Googling for "multi-vitamins helpful" is also an option?

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, here are the hit results:

Results 1 - 10 of about 221,000 for multi-vitamins helpful.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 141,000 for multi-vitamins harmful.
    So, using my advanced scientific method, my research has concluded that multi-vitamins are helpful by an overwhelming 80,000 percentage points.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    So, using my advanced scientific method, my research has concluded that multi-vitamins are helpful by an overwhelming 80,000 percentage points.
    You're aware of Google Fight? Here are the graphic results of your scientific method:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...itamin+harmful

On the same note, here is what happens when I fight you:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...n&word2=pisket

As a result, I respect your scientific opinions...

Ali

mtbr member
    You're aware of Google Fight? Here are the graphic results of your scientific method:
    That is some funny shi-t!

Good one.

Lusus Naturae

You are wrong NoBalance

Well thanks for pointing that out.

You'll have to also go on about how the USRDA of those vitamins are also incorrect, as I am sure that nobody gets that amount. Sure, you will get more than you need with the multi-vitamin, but vitamin poisoning? Sounds a lot like when people start talking about pepper being a carcinogen. Perhaps, but not enough to be worth paying attention to.

I dont really want to argue about it because really I'm going to take them anyway. On the other hand, telling people not to to take multi-vitamins is akin to advising against mountain biking as that might lead to injury or death.

Moving on....

mtbr member
    I'm still laughing and can't type. MTBR bikers fighting, who would have thought. I do like a drink that keeps electrolyte balance in check and helps with the cramping, but sometimes I go with straight up water for the less than stressful rides, pure, filtered, bottled water in a plastic bottle.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Feeling a little taller
    A few years ago, Sportlegs was giving away samples at Sea Otter. I used my samples during an "epic" ride soon after and had good results. Less leg fatigue and NO cramping. However, I balked at the price.

The last few epic rides I was on, I experienced nagging cramps and leg fatigue so I decided I would buy a bottle. A couple of weekends ago, we did the 10K day on Mt. Diablo and I followed the directions on the bottle. I experienced ZERO cramping and I felt good all day.

Is it expensive? It seems that way to me. I tend to shop around and find online vendors that do price matching and free shipping for large orders and buy my products in bulk to try to save money. If MTBR did another bulk buy, I'd get in on it.

Does it work? I would say that it was the only major factor between this last ride and other similar rides that made the difference between cramping and not.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000
    I'm still laughing and can't type. MTBR bikers fighting, who would have thought.
    Hey, why not? Here's you with your pure, filtered, bottled water in a plastic bottle; against me, multi-vitamin free:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...0&word2=pisket

Ali

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Sorry for being harsh earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Sure, you will get more than you need with the multi-vitamin, but vitamin poisoning?
    It's on Wikipedia; so it must be true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning

Before we part though, here is you against me:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...e&word2=pisket

Ali
    "having too much fun today"