mtbr member

Spin class actually helps

I've started doing spin classes at my gym. They're in a fancy theater/stadium type room, with dimmed lights, and a scoreboard to show how the energy you produce compares to everyone else in the class. My goal is to produce watts equal to my weight, with a total energy above 600 for the hour class. Having someone within a few watts of you really makes you work harder.

So today's ride in Annadel was much easier than in the past. I did the normal "over and back" loop: up 2 Quarry, Landale/ Shultz, Ridge, Burmas. Around 20 miles. Sections that I often walk, like parts of two quarry, I rode up. Sections that I make but are difficult, like S. Burma, I cruised up without thinking.

So in conclusion (I feel like I'm writing a high school essay), while it's always best to ride an actual bike outside, an hour-long spin class will kick your ass and give you strong legs and lungs.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool
    When I travel, I look for a spin class. It's something.

As for the power number,
    don't go too crazy on that number. What you are looking for is to hit that goal number you have. As long as the meter can be consistant, you will be able to improve by hitting more watts over time.

Attaching your bike to a trainer is similar. However, there is a certain "group" motivation that comes from a class.

Keep is going......
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I completely agree, but the quality of instructor varies greatly. Avoid the classes that try to combine plyometrics with spin or the aggro instructors that push you to do crazy cadences if you're trying to improve your cycling fitness. There was an awesome instructor who taught out of the 24 Hours in N San Jose that was a roadie and structured his classes to develop your cardio for actual bike fitness and was a great motivator. I actually looked forward to going after a while, even with a 6am start time. Wish I knew where that guy ended up.

mtbr member
    yeah, some instructors seem overly complicated screaming things like "We're going to do a 20-20-30, then 3 minutes of 7 then back". I don't know what they're talking about. I like the instructors that use terms like "seated climb", "Standing climb" etc. Easier for us dumb mountain bikers to comprehend.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

The thing I like about spin is that you can't fall off. I think with real biking your intensity is limited by safety concerns and of course by the actual trail. With spin you can explore that level where dizziness and control are compromised and no interval has to end or begin before you're ready for it.

mtbr member

Spin classes are great for exploring the deepest, darkest areas of the pain cave.

For mtn biking, they are really great for developing explosive burst power needed for powering up short climbs or blowing through obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    yeah, some instructors seem overly complicated screaming...
    I went to one class this winter where the instructor screamed "DIG!" about every two seconds. It was funny for about a minute then insanely annoying.

I think with real biking your intensity is limited by safety concerns and of course by the actual trail
    I found that to be true also. I'm more comfortable pushing to the limit of my fitness when I don't have to worry about wandering off-line into traffic or off the trail.

Plus, in a class of 30 there has to be someone who knows CPR, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Spin classes are great for exploring the deepest, darkest areas of the pain cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I 100% agree. I have a tendency to go way harder in a class than outside on the trail. I always hate bonking on a ride and then having to limp back to the truck for 10 miles feeling like garbage. Worst thing that happens in the class is I get off the bike and drive home.

Levi Early
    Ive been a spin instructor for 6 years now and it has helped my riding a lot. It keeps my legs strong and keeps my endurance up quite a bit. That being said, the majority of instructors out there are absolutely terrible. Hardly any of them actually ride which makes me not take their classes seriously. Those instructors have you do things that do not benefit you as an individual at all or they have you do things that put your body at risk. Example being pedaling backwards under high load while standing? hello? you like your knees right? I watched an instructor at a certification tell us this and I just pointed out that it was a good way to injure her knee. Want to guess what happened? She tore her knee during certification. What I try to do is structure a class like an actual ride, not this sissy lala stuff. When asked what experience I have my reply is 19 years of riding/racing on mountain and road bikes and 6 years of that teaching classes.

carry on....

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    Ive been a spin instructor for 6 years now and it has helped my riding a lot. It keeps my legs strong and keeps my endurance up quite a bit. That being said, the majority of instructors out there are absolutely terrible. Hardly any of them actually ride which makes me not take their classes seriously. Those instructors have you do things that do not benefit you as an individual at all or they have you do things that put your body at risk. Example being pedaling backwards under high load while standing? hello? you like your knees right? I watched an instructor at a certification tell us this and I just pointed out that it was a good way to injure her knee. Want to guess what happened? She tore her knee during certification. What I try to do is structure a class like an actual ride, not this sissy lala stuff. When asked what experience I have my reply is 19 years of riding/racing on mountain and road bikes and 6 years of that teaching classes.

carry on....
    If you teach a spin class in San Bruno, let us know.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun