mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Speed Trap on Mine Hill Trail - Almaden Quicksilver

Me to the rangers with radar gun (climbing): I got you guys...

Ranger: It's my move...

Yup, speed trap near the bottom. I warned every rider descending. Stay ticket-free, my friends.

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Yup, speed trap near the bottom. I warned every rider descending. Stay ticket-free, my friends.

good boy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ranger presence + radar gun = riding responsibly, as per park rules?

Rangers: 1 (x how many people you alerted)
    Mt. Bikers: 0 (+ how many people you saved from a ticket)

Even if the radar gun is just a prop, they have done their job and successfully managed the trail that day. I have no problem with that. If they give out 95% warnings and 5% tickets -- to the people that give them a hard time -- that's cool with me too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Chasm View Post

Even if the radar gun is just a prop, they have done their job and successfully managed the trail that day. I have no problem with that. If they give out 95% warnings and 5% tickets -- to the people that give them a hard time -- that's cool with me too.
    I think the issue is the blatant targeting of MTB'ers when "park rules" are broken all the time by others. Off leash dogs, dual headphones, not picking up dog mess, trudging through closed trails as to preserve them, etc. Out of all the trail users, I think MTB'ers have the most "trail etiquette" than any of the trail users. Except maybe the weekend warrior types, who seem to frequent the tame Almaden Quicksilver.

Speed trap on Manzanita Trail

Is this thing on?
    Dude, they were out in Fremont Older with radar yesterday. I've seen how not just weekend warriors bomb down Mine Hill without reguard to hikers. I guess with a little sunny weather tons of people are out and the rangers are out too. Fremont Older has been beyond packed the last couple weekends, no matter the time of day. I chatted with the rangers last weekend and even they were surprised how many people were out. The SS is good for days like this, put all the effort into the climbs and cruise the downhill.

Axe
    Custom User Title

What the HECK are you blabbering about? Managed the trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Axe again.

PRETENDURO

LOL! Theyre trying to track down the mystery rider who has the Strava KOM from the top of Woods to the Quicksilver entrance. Good luck, boys!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... I'm on your side here . My point is, Almaden Quicksilver County Park is managed by Santa Clara County Parks. Unfortunately, they have speed limits for bicycles. Typically, speed enforcement happens after complaints... not as a means to generate revenue (unless they write a ton of tickets and give out no warnings). So when the Rangers come out and show a presence, and that presence keeps people in check, they have essentially done their job managing some of the trail or park that day. Hikers often complain about enforcement (e.g., "what's the point of a speed limit if nobody is enforcing it?!")

It's like driving on the highway... everybody might be driving 75 mph most of the time, but when a cop enters the highway, suddenly everyone is driving the speed limit.

As for the other usual violations, it is lame if the Rangers aren't doing anything about off leash dogs, as they can pose a safety threat to some. Mt. bikers are probably the low hanging fruit in the enforcement part of their jobs. Can't be that hard to sit there with a radar gun and stop mostly normal people. Beats dealing with drunks and viscous dogs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So whats the penalty for a speeding ticket on a bike? And what is typically the speed limit. I'm usually slow going down but just wondering.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    So whats the penalty for a speeding ticket on a bike? And what is typically the speed limit. I'm usually slow going down but just wondering.
    Not sure, think it's about $400 or something silly.

15mph in general. 5mph when passing someone/something/biker/hiker, etc. I've never heard of the 5mph being enforced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, that has got to suck, having trails with speed limits.

Do bikers have any trails that are closed to foot traffic so you can enjoy yourselves a bit more?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Wow, that has got to suck, having trails with speed limits.

Do bikers have any trails that are closed to foot traffic so you can enjoy yourselves a bit more?
    I think there's only one, that I know of, in Toro Park. Soquel Demonstration Forest has no limits, as well as having legal features and more bike oriented.

Blargen
    Speed traps... another reason that I drive right past quicksilver and kennedy to get to Demo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've ridden QS many times, and that initial climb from the parking lot does suck. The road is pretty wide, but it is conducive to people blasting down it. As a climber you've got to really remember to stick to the far right, as there are some blind corners. If someone coming down hill was taking an outside line, you could be in for a rude experience.

I've also seen hikers in that park and they don't always walk on the far right, and will often walk 3-4-5 abreast. I'm ok with a speed limit on that downhill section because it's so easy to go so fast and it's close to the entrance where you get more hikers.

PRETENDURO
    and viscous dogs!
    No doubt! Theyre really slippery at best!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I've also seen hikers in that park and they don't always walk on the far right, and will often walk 3-4-5 abreast. I'm ok with a speed limit on that downhill section because it's so easy to go so fast and it's close to the entrance where you get more hikers.
    And when you ding your courtesy bell or exclaim, On your left!, they usually just swap positions with each other. Always cracks me up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've submitted a request to the Garmin folks to consider adding a user-settable audible "speed alert" to their GPS firmware. I sometimes find it hard to keep the eyes focused on the close up GPS screen display when going down hill with having to look down the trail and with the bouncing and vibration. So having a little beep to alert me to my speed might save getting a ticket some day and heck, if you think about it, a saved ticket would pretty much pay for the GPS. They already have similar alerts for cadence, power, heart rate and distance, so just add one for speed, then the rider can set enable the alert or not.

Figure if they get similar requests from a number of riders, they might look into doing that:
    - Garmin | Share Ideas

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    And when you ding your courtesy bell or exclaim, “On your left!”, they usually just swap positions with each other. Always cracks me up.
    Trail zombies don't speak human. Pod people don't have ears.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    I've submitted a request to the Garmin folks to consider adding a user-settable audible "speed alert" to their GPS firmware. I sometimes find it hard to keep the eyes focused on the close up GPS screen display when going down hill with having to look down the trail and with the bouncing and vibration. So having a little beep to alert me to my speed might save getting a ticket some day and heck, if you think about it, a saved ticket would pretty much pay for the GPS. They already have similar alerts for cadence, power, heart rate and distance, so just add one for speed, then the rider can set enable the alert or not.

Figure if they get similar requests from a number of riders, they might look into doing that:
    - Garmin | Share Ideas
    good suggestion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    good suggestion!
    I think it's a GREAT suggestion! They have the alert for distance and HR, speed would be a great addition.

Wēk Ss
    I think it's a GREAT suggestion! They have the alert for distance and HR, speed would be a great addition.
    yeah man! rep the man, i'm out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    And when you ding your courtesy bell or exclaim, On your left!, they usually just swap positions with each other. Always cracks me up.
    I usually see them go from a nice organized line across the trail/road for which I can easily ride around, to a confused bunch randomly scattered group for which I have no hope of getting around unless I head off the ledge or do a Dion-esque double funky black rainbow wall ride on the uphill slope.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I usually see them go from a nice organized line across the trail/road for which I can easily ride around, to a confused bunch randomly scattered group for which I have no hope of getting around unless I head off the ledge or do a Dion-esque double funky black rainbow wall ride on the uphill slope.

Wall rides are an essential skill for riding on urban trails around the south bay.