mtbr member
    Dec 2003

South Leaf Questions

As you head south on South Leaf Trail in ECdM, there is a super technical washed out section that has been there for years. My questions:

1) Has anyone ridden this? If so, what is the line? I saw high probability of carnage everywhere I looked (at least for me and my HT singlespeed).

2) I wonder if volunteers + MPOSD would collaborate to update this section so that it retains it's technical character, but stops being such an erosive mess.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    this spot? Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    this spot? Instagram
    No, the section in your picture is more sustainable and I'm pretty sure on Manzanita.
    --

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    As you head south on South Leaf Trail in ECdM, there is a super technical washed out section that has been there for years. My questions:

1) Has anyone ridden this? If so, what is the line? I saw high probability of carnage everywhere I looked (at least for me and my HT singlespeed).

2) I wonder if volunteers + MPOSD would collaborate to update this section so that it retains it's technical character, but stops being such an erosive mess.
    I think I know the exact section you are referring to - it is a very tough section to ride because the run-out after the technical steeps basically "wants" to send you to an exposed section, off the the side of the trail down to a steep fall. It has a right and left line divided by a tree, right? I have successfully cleaned this section going to the right, but it is tight clearance with wide bars - I've seen a rider easily take the left line, but it just seems a bit sketch and you are really out in the middle of nowhere

It would be cool if it was basically kept it the same but somehow "de-sketched" the run-out to make it less of a potential catastrophic fail.

On the other hand, maybe we need a few sections that have a very high degree of difficulty to keep it fun for the pros! The rest of us can just walk it!

Recreational Terrorist
    I vote to keep it as is. I clean both lines on my fully. Usually I am riding skeggs on my HT so I stick to the right line.

I prefer the right line because it is more technically challenging. You need the right approach to get in position and then it is pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that we dumb it down in any way. It's just that I don't see this section being sustainable. In other words, 5-10 years from now, it might not be there. Or MPOSD might sanitize all of it because of erosion.

I think if there was a retaining wall of sorts on the left (as you head south), that might do the trick.
    --

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: South Leaf Questions

Man that part scares me because the landing is off camber. I hope it never changes though.

~~~
    That left line only exists because riders refused to walk a section that they couldn't clear. Like you said, it's an eroded mess and it's much sketchier than the right line because you can never tell what the soil condition is like on the landing. Riding the left will continue to make it worse. Go too fast and you could end up down the hillside because it's off camber and often way soft. Go too slow, and you drag a bunch of soil down the hill as you brake.

~~~
    Here's the right line. Easier with suspension. I have yet to clear it with the rigid bike. You can start slow at the skinny tree up top, but you have to let off the brakes, especially the front, to let it roll. Ignoring the off camber rocks is key, because it grips more than you think it will.

South Leaf Questions-2012_07_15.jpg