mtbr member

South Lake Tahoe Loop Recommendations?

I'm going to be up in SLT around mid-June, staying at a friends condo down by the lake. From some searches I've done, it looks like there are some trails heading out from the Harrah's/Raley's parking lot area. However, I'm really not sure where to go or what the best routes in the area would be. I'd like to ride to/from the condo if at all possible, but driving a short distance would be OK.

I'm from Chico, so rocks/jumps and in general rough trails are just fine and even preferred. I'm in decent shape for the climbs too...but my climbing is just penance for the views and the downhills! If anyone has some good maps, strava/garmin routes, that would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: Armstrong and Mr. Toads looks like a nice loop!
    Armstrong Saxon Creek and Mr Toads Wild Ride by mountainbikemayhem at Garmin Connect - Details
    "Got everything you need?"

likes bicycles
    Have you found this yet? http://mountainbiketahoe.org/wp-cont...ps/Map_SLT.pdf

As you can see, lots of big loops are possible.

mtbr member
    Ah nice, hadn't seen that one yet! Looks like another good loop would be Van Sickle, TRT, Cold Creek, Powerline. Which trails are better to climb vs. descend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Ah nice, hadn't seen that one yet! Looks like another good loop would be Van Sickle, TRT, Cold Creek, Powerline. Which trails are better to climb vs. descend?
    I'd recommend doing the loop in reverse so you can finish with a sweet downhill of Van Sickle. Cold Creek is a fun downhill, but I'd rather climb it than Van Sickle. Star Lake Trail is a great climb.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp View Post
    Star Lake Trail is a great climb.
    I definitely agree with you there. The scenery at the lake will make your PB&J taste gourmet, too.

mtbr member
    If you want to decend Armstrong or Toads, I'd recommend getting someone to drop you off at Stagecoach Heavenly. You can ride Powerline back. Toads is one of the best tech trails in SLT and Armstong/Connector/Sidewinder/Cedar is the longest flowy downhill in Tahoe. Around 11 miles!

mtbr member
    Great recommendations, thanks! Looks like the start of Powerline is just over a mile from where I'm staying, which is perfect.

So I'm thinking: Powerline -> Cold Creek -> Dirt Rd to Sale Lake Tr -> Left onto TRT -> Left onto Van Sickle

Is the area signed well, or are there any parts that are easy to get lost on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp View Post
    If you want to decend Armstrong or Toads, I'd recommend getting someone to drop you off at Stagecoach Heavenly. You can ride Powerline back. Toads is one of the best tech trails in SLT and Armstong/Connector/Sidewinder/Cedar is the longest flowy downhill in Tahoe. Around 11 miles!
    Hmm, fast/flow or rocky technical? Such a hard decision! First world problems...

mtbr member
    Another question: is mid-June going to be too early? I'd expect some snow to still be up at the higher elevations, which is fine. But I'd rather not have to hike-a-bike through too much of it. I guess if the weather stays like this, the snow might all be gone by then...

Snowjnky McDreamy
    1. Stagecoach to Toads. Point to Point. But you will need a shuttle or you will be riding a lot of road. Look for local shuttles if you can't bribe someone.
    2. Up Cold Creek to Star lake, then down TRT towards Stagecoach to Van Sickle.

find away to do both they are both AWESOME RIDES
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would recommend doing Powerline -> Armstrong -> TRT -> down Van Sickle. I did this ride last September and it is still one of my fav routes/rides I've ever done.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | - powerline, armstrong, TRT, van sickle near Stateline | Times and Records | Strava

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Great recommendations, thanks! Looks like the start of Powerline is just over a mile from where I'm staying, which is perfect.

So I'm thinking: Powerline -> Cold Creek -> Dirt Rd to Sale Lake Tr -> Left onto TRT -> Left onto Van Sickle

Is the area signed well, or are there any parts that are easy to get lost on?
    I got lost once trying to find the entrance to Van Sickle. But thanks to spotty Cell service and the brotherly love of Kmax I eventually made it right(with an added 600 feet of climbing)

you are coming off a sweet DH and I just missed it. When you get close to the resorts and the lifts look up to your left for the connector trail, it is marked I just missed it
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    1. Stagecoach to Toads. Point to Point. But you will need a shuttle or you will be riding a lot of road.
    This loop is pretty much all singletrack with a short road section at end of Powerline. You can pick up a trail again at Adams Way off of Saddle that will take you to Van Sickle. Pretty brutal 50 miles though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm planning a trip to the area at a similar time. What are the bike parks like up there for all mountain/trail riding? What is the ideal place to stay to stage a ~week long trip for trail riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm planning a trip to the area at a similar time. What are the bike parks like up there for all mountain/trail riding? What is the ideal place to stay to stage a ~week long trip for trail riding?
    This should help you get started trip planning...

Tahoe Trip Planning FAQ |
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Yeah I thought of this, but stating from bottom of Van Sickle...then I lost my lunch. have you done it? Where would the ideal starting point be?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Should be up there Friday evening, and ready for a ride Saturday morning. Due to time constraints, I'm going to opt for this route I think: Powerline -> Cold Creek -> Dirt Rd to Sale Lake Tr -> Left onto TRT -> Left onto Van Sickle.

How are snow levels up there? And is the signage decent, or should I be prepared to get lost? Also, any direction constraints on those trails?

mtbr dismember
    Should be up there Friday evening, and ready for a ride Saturday morning. Due to time constraints, I'm going to opt for this route I think: Powerline -> Cold Creek -> Dirt Rd to Sale Lake Tr -> Left onto TRT -> Left onto Van Sickle.

How are snow levels up there? And is the signage decent, or should I be prepared to get lost? Also, any direction constraints on those trails?
    Van Sickle and TRT above it are all clear. Was there last Saturday.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Star lake connector goes now so you should be fine with that route

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

South Lake Tahoe Loop Recommendations?

Sidewinder