aka baycat

South Bay roads with a decent shoulder

How does McKean Road out to Calero Reservoir compare to Alamden Road/Alamitos Road out to Alamden Reservoir?

Was looking, and these two came up on gmaps, for something a bit more rural from Alamden area with a decent shoulder, not to much traffic or crazy ass drivers and slight elevation gain. Any other suggestions welcomed too.

Thanks!

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    How does McKean Road out to Calero Reservoir compare to Alamden Road/Alamitos Road out to Alamden Reservoir?

Was looking, and these two came up on gmaps, for something a bit more rural from Alamden area with a decent shoulder, not to much traffic or crazy ass drivers and slight elevation gain. Any other suggestions welcomed too.

Thanks!
    i've ridden that route from san jose caltrain, out towards almaden (?), to uvas rd/watsonville rd, into gilroy. it was on a weekend, summer, hot as fu@@@*k!. seems like a pretty well traveled route, lotsa road bikers, boat/horse trailer traffic. if i remember the shoulder's a bit narrow in some spots, but it definitely sees it's share of bicycle traffic. it's real pretty back there though, nice views of loma prieta and the coast range. do it!!

Medium?
    Got Google street view? You can "ride" the whole way from your desk...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat

Thanks!
    McKean has no shoulder and definitely more and faster moving traffic than Almaden Road.

If safety is a priority I would suggest the Coytote Creek Trail bike path (it's paved). But that has no elevation changes.

mtbr member
    As said Mckeen road has very little shoulder and has more traffic, once you go past Bailey road, traffic is light, rural and very nice.

Almaden road has more shoulder and I never feel unsafe there, once you pass through New Almaden there is no shoulder, but once again it's very rural and there is not much traffic.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Hicks road from both sides. No real shoulder, but essentially no car traffic either. There is a slight elevation gain, good for practicing cuss words in various languages.

aka baycat
    Did a fly by via google street view and earth but this is all good info.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker
    If safety is a priority I would suggest the Coytote Creek Trail bike path (it's paved). But that has no elevation changes.
    The speed limit is 15mph, which is pretty slow on a roadie.

The road up to Henry Coe HQ is light on traffic, and heavy on footies if that's what you're looking for. Monterey Hwy is very light on traffic with a very wide shoulder the whole way. Start in San Jose and string those together for a pretty solid 50+ mile out-and-back. Maybe 15mph will sounds pretty good on the way back.

mtbr member
    ride hicks to the top of the mountain

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hicks to the top of Mt. Uhmunhum rd. is a good one.

Bernal rd. has a huge shoulder but is somewhat short.

Metcalf rd. on tuesdays and wednesdays.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Hicks road from both sides. No real shoulder, but essentially no car traffic either. There is a slight elevation gain, good for practicing cuss words in various languages.
    Slight??????? ROTFLMAO
    I got a road bike with a triple just so I could get up that at higher than 50 rpms standing.

It's a good brake test going down. Only a hill to face plant into or some small gullies to navigate. Any real mtb rider could do them on a road bike
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.