mtbr member

Soquel Demonstration work planned for Feb. 16th! Let's get a big ole crew out there!

Who's in!? I know a lot of you ride here...time to give back and make the trails strong for another season. With these new rains, dirt should be awesome for moving. Any new faces planning on making a showing?

I'm not sure how this works.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Are you going to ride in from up top and work on stuff again? If so I might join you for that.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Are you going to ride in from up top and work on stuff again? If so I might join you for that.
    I am definitely riding in but not sure what trail we are working on...we'll coordinate closer to the date. Based on how many cars pack the lot every weekend, sure hope we see some new faces.

Formerly dvo
    Any idea as to why the two side trail step downs were closed down on Corral?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo View Post
    Any idea as to why the two side trail step downs were closed down on Corral?
    Please say it ain't so!!!

Formerly dvo
    They are both in the fire road section on the right, one midway down the other almost at the intersection with Sulphur. The first one had a tree felled and cut up across the landing area and the second had slash dragged across the beginning of the trail closing it off. Both looked to be intentional closures as opposed to accidental.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Aww man, I actually liked those. Last time I rode them I got them mixed up and thought the harder one was the easier one until I was in the air. That's the day I decided to get gripper shoes.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I was bummed to find them closed off on Wednesday... Why was the jump on Braille closed too?

mtbr member
    I saw two jumps removed on Braille which bummed me out! The first being a ramp jump that has been there forever and was sturdy as all heck (no idea why this was dropped). The second was the dirt jump after wall ride. Pretty sure the dirt jump was closed because a tree fell on the landing and they haven't got a chain saw up there to clear it. I can't think of any reason why they closed it otherwise.

We need a good showing for these trail work days so we can keep the stunts in place and to add new ones, all...come on out and help if you can!

pro leisure tour
    Who's in!? I know a lot of you ride here...time to give back and make the trails strong for another season. With these new rains, dirt should be awesome for moving. Any new faces planning on making a showing?

All signed up. This is a great group to do trail work with. Seriously.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Boo on Corral and Braille "work"

Yeah, what's up with shutting Demo stuff down (Patty & company?)!!!!

Kinda hard to go out and work on trail if the result is closing down fun stuff that has been there for 10+ years and building "grandma go arounds" to bypass steep techy climbs (ridge trail).

Don't dumb down the Demo, make it better!

Perhaps start a trail work night to correct all the work that was done the previous day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    Yeah, what's up with shutting Demo stuff down (Patty & company?)!!!!

Kinda hard to go out and work on trail if the result is closing down fun stuff that has been there for 10+ years and building "grandma go arounds" to bypass steep techy climbs (ridge trail).

Don't dumb down the Demo, make it better!

Perhaps start a trail work night to correct all the work that was done the previous day?
    Nicely done bro.

middle ring single track

FYI---Cal Fire...

...held field training/certification sessions on Thursday and Friday for their chainsaw crews. Drew, Patty and myself were fortunate to be invited to participate in getting certified; we will be able to assist CDF when it comes to using saws to maintain/construct trails at Demo.

The connection with this thread is that there was a significant amount of tree-felling activity along the upper road portion of Corral Trail; some of the side trails may have been impacted (really) by this. It may be some time before the firewood harvesters are able to get this downed wood hauled away so ride with caution. Drew and/or Patty may have a handle if some of those side trails may remained closed.

Some pix:

Lunch time

Parking was at a premium

Before "real" trees were tackled by the trainees they had perfect their cuts on "totem" poles.

There were 8 teams consisting of 1 certifier/instructor and 3 trainees

Almost all the trees selected for felling were "leaners" or had some other sort of defect. The harder the tree was to deal with meant it had more instructional value.

"My" tree; students are graded on what the stump looks like

A few bikers came up Corral; they didn't have to wait very long to get waved through

The saw's not stuck; the instructor and the trainees have stopped to discuss how to perfect the face cut for falling this difficult leaner

Part of the training had to with tearing down the saws for cleaning and sharpening the chains after the session in the woods

Here Drew removes the bar on...

...the new MBOSC chainsaw!

Go MBOSC!

Last edited by Moe Ped; 02-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh, very much so! Trees down along the tread of the trail, jumps and berms torn out, the shoot up above the Sulfur intersection has a load of dirt dumped on it. Some of the kickers on the side of the fire road were graded, and the rain bars on the roads were graded over(lucky if you can get 2 inches of air of most of them).

Sucks, Corral used to be a fun trail, now it's more lame than Sulfur or St Joes.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Wow, the only time I ever rode it was with you also. Didn't even get to fully experience it.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

rho
    Life is strange
    i'm a big fat ol maybe. I'm getting some wisdom teeth removed the day before... so... I'm pretty sure riding won't happen, not sure if digging will be possible or not.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Will there be a vote on what (jumps, berms, ect versus drainage work) and where we work? As shallow as it may sound, most people don't want to work on drainage, when they were expecting to work on what's significant to their interest. With the amount of man hours spent on demolishing popular segments lately by Patty and Drew and company, they can put in drainage work during the week. New volenteers, as well as old get turned off expecting to work one thing, and then end up working on what they consider insignificant or overkill issues.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    That's the one good thing from last time is that we had so many people that we were able to hit the drainage but also a lot more stuff. I know Drew and some guys put in a bunch of work on a really nice berm. They also did some work on a jump that Josh would know more about because I didn't see much of that. I'm guessing now that drainage is done the fun stuff can be focused on, and they seemed up to taking ideas on what to do.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Blargen
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post

Sucks, Corral used to be a fun trail, now it's more lame than Sulfur or St Joes.
    Whoa, that's a bit harsh. You'd have to drop a bomb on corral for it to be as lame as Sulfur or St. Joes.

My experience with volunteering at Demo has been that, yes, you do spend some time clearing out drains, but you also get to work on features and you get a say in what stays or goes. Its volunteering, so you cant really go out there with the mind set that you are going to build kickers all day. But you can get out there as a representive of your style of riding and give back to the place that has put a smile on your face so many times.

The free beer and food aint bad either.:-)

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    The g/f and I are in!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

mtbr member
    While I agree with the comments here about being part of the solution, I am a little pissed off that Corral was treated with such malice. Were there seriously not enough trees to train on that they had to pick trees that just happened to be on or effect the features/side play? Why did they have to drop anything on features at all? If you are training, drop the trees so they fall in places that don't impact the trails...isn't that what the training is all about...controlling the drop? This sounds very much like a planned sanitation which, if true, really sucks. Corral was my favorite trail and it sounds like it was basically turned into what it used to be which wasn't very fun. I love you forest guys but thumbs down on this one. Really bummed out!

mtbr member

Soquel Demonstration work planned for Feb. 16th! Let's get a big ole crew out there!

Ok. I will tell you what I know and what I think. These are my opinions and not those of CAL FIRE or MBOSC.

I am not sure which side routes had trees felled across them or why. I do know there were many crews out there for the training who were not familiar with the forest or the trail network and may not have even realized they were falling trees across routes that were ridden. I do know my crew did not fall any trees across any trails. I also know that it is CAL FIRE policy to close off side routes and other features that are not constructed on sanctioned workdays, are unsafe, are unsustainable or causing other environmental impacts, or are a significant distance off of the main trail.

As far as what work is done on workdays, I have a couple of thoughts. First of all, you can't complain if you don't show up. We welcome input on workdays and what our projects are, but we have to remember that the priorities of the land manager come FIRST. The trails at SDSF are steep, ridden hard, and are mostly old logging skids or on the fall line and do not drain well. Building and improving stunts is great, but without the attention to drainage the trails have had on on workdays for the last decade they would be even more rutted, loose, skidded out, and eroded than they already are. What most people fail to realized is that CAL FIRE's mission is not to provide gnarly trails for you to ride, but to be responsible stewards of the public land while demonstrating multiple uses of managed forestland. This means that they must also consider other impacts, for example, the impact of sediment on endangered steelhead and coho salmon that live in Soquel Creek.

CAL FIRE is the best land manager mountain bikers in the Bay Area have had or will ever have. Demo is a special place, and we are lucky we have such a great relationship with the land managers. This relationship did not just happen by default, it is the result of a small group of people working hundreds of hours over many years with the forest managers, building that relationship and trust. So if you have not put in the effort and time to build those relationships and shown the land manager you are competent and capable of doing work that meets THEIR goals, I don't feel like you have the right to complain about what is done on workdays. I liked riding those side trails on Corral, but if the land manager wanted them closed I am not going to complain. Those side trails are insignificant compared to the trail experiences we make by working cooperatively with CAL FIRE, and MBoSC and Stewards of Soquel Forest have been working with CAL FIRE and there is a very bright and exciting future for trails at Demo ahead.

So look at the big pictures, show up, voice your opinions, and ride it don't slide it.

Drew Perkins
    Trails Officer
    Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

padded
    I don't think I can make this one, family stuff - sorry. I should be able to do the March date, though.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    What most people fail to realized is that CAL FIRE's mission is not to provide gnarly trails for you to ride, but to be responsible stewards of the public land while demonstrating multiple uses of managed forestland.
    This is really the unfortunate truth of this whole situation. Lot's of people want to pretend like Demo is some kind of mountain bike park. In a perfect world, that's the case but the reality is, it's not. It's not even a park. This is our situation in the bay area. You can either work within the system...show up to these work days and politely and passionately share your opinions and vision. Or you can b!tch and moan on the internet, alienate the only real mtb allies we have in the greater bay area and build some bootleg trails that will eventually get the axe. The choice is yours and personally I don't care which one you choose.

Whatever you do though, don't throw people like Patty and Drew under the bus because they somehow haven't managed to transform Demo into Whistler South.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    The workday at Demo on Braille a couple weeks ago is a perfect example of a day in which the environmentalist type goals and rider goals were both accomplished in one day. Pretty much all the drains were cleared out and made better, sections were smoothed over and made more resistant to water erosion, and a really nice berm was built. Not to mention the piece of wood put over that one turn that I guess gets pretty mushy, and the jump that was shored up.

The stuff getting removed/destroyed/covered on Corral sucks, but from what Drew is saying, it's just Cal Fire doing what Cal Fire is supposed to do. I don't speak for everyone, but personally I'd much rather ride Braille (for example) with no jumps/features than not get to ride Braille at all. I know for someone like you, Josh, that's not as easy of a statement to make though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by drew p View Post
    CAL FIRE is the best land manager mountain bikers in the Bay Area have had or will ever have. Demo is a special place, and we are lucky we have such a great relationship with the land managers. This relationship did not just happen by default, it is the result of a small group of people working hundreds of hours over many years with the forest managers, building that relationship and trust.
    Thank you Drew. This had to be said.

Mountain biking in Demo has a really bright future thanks to the stewardship of folks like Drew, Patty and Angela.

2013 is going to be the summer of Demo and we're going to need your help. There is going to be a lot of opportunities for donating your time and money for creating a better world for mountain biking in the Demonstration forest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Thank you Drew. This had to be said.

Mountain biking in Demo has a really bright future thanks to the stewardship of folks like Drew, Patty and Angela.

2013 is going to be the summer of Demo and we're going to need your help. There is going to be a lot of opportunities for donating your time and money for creating a better world for mountain biking in the Demonstration forest.
    It might be easier to make time for volunteering if I knew what the grand scheme that you are referring to involves. There are definitely different opinions on what "better" is in the mountain biking world so it would help to know what yours or the decision makers definition is.

tastes like chicken

The Summer of Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    It might be easier to make time for volunteering if I knew what the grand scheme that you are referring to involves. There are definitely different opinions on what "better" is in the mountain biking world so it would help to know what yours or the decision makers definition is.
    Sorry for being opaque but I want to ensure that expectations are correctly set.

Two things:

1. MBoSC submitted an application for a Bell Built Grant for a new 4 mile flow trail which will be near Tractor Trail. If we are successful then this project would start this May.

2. MBoSC will be presenting the Santa Cruz Super Enduro in the Demo forest Oct 12-13th. We hope to expand the field, create a memorable event and raise funds for the flow trail project.

Our plans for an IMBA built flow trail and Super Enduro race has a lot of support from the Forest Manager, our volunteers, membership, board and bike industry partners. We hope that the broader NorCal mountain biking community will support our objectives in Demo since we do need a lot of help to pull off these two projects.

I would like to encourage you to come to the MBoSC meeting 7 pm tonight at Seabright Brewery. I will be speaking about this and other topics.

middle ring single track

Soquel Demonstration State Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    To understand the framework of what is allowable at Demo is as simple as doing some reading; a good place to start is here: CAL FIRE - Soquel

Plenty of stuff there to peruse...

Especially this document: http://calfire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/d...OPY_032612.pdf

58 pages and still growing.

Short version; the soils at Demo are really crappy and every opportunity to minimize silting must be taken. Safety, drainage and habitat improvements come first; then fun stuff is allowed as long as it generates no erosion. May not be the perfect situation from a purely MTBing viewpoint; but let's not get selfish with this great opportunity. Just my opinion after my read.

BTW; at no time during that CDF chainsaw class did I hear anything said about closing trails---and we did no earthwork whatsoever. I did drop a couple of trees across a side trail but I brushed and bucked them up and made sure the trail was passable again---I received no comments from CDF staff one way or the other. I have since learned that the criteria at Demo is that minor side trails are tolerated as long as they are within view of the main (mapped) trail/road ---all others will be removed/rehabbed ASAP.

Should not needed to be said but the time taken removing unsanctioned trails is time taken from maintaining existing trails and creating new trails. Duh...
    Last edited by Moe Ped; 02-11-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: speling

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    First of all, I'd just like to point out the obvious: Y'all have it good!

I lived in Cupertino back in '98, but I only rode from my house (although I made it to the ocean once). From '98 to last month I lived in Orange County. While there's lots of good riding down there, the only trails that approach the level of Demo--like Telonix--are poach trails, and they rarely have any man-made features.

I try to focus on the positive, and there's tons of it around here (and it sounds like it will be getting even better)! 2% of the people do 98% of the work, so don't let the naysayers and curmudgeons get ya down. I'm stoked to be back up here and can't wait to do a little trail work to keep things running smoothly. And, while it sucks to have some fun sections "altered", that's always gonna be the case with unofficial trails and features.

:cheers:

(how come there's no beer emoticon?!)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Drew, Mark and Paul. I hope you can see our perspective on this issue:

Soquel Demonstration State Forest is not a park and never has been. The mission of the State Forest is (http://calfire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/r...eforests.php):

Statutory: Section 4631of the Public Resources Code states that it is in the interest of the welfare of the people of this state and their industries and other activities involving the use of wood and other forest products that desirable cutover forest lands be made fully productive and that the holding and reforestation of such lands is a necessary measure. Section 4631.5 provides that the state shall retain the existing land base of state forests in timber production for research and demonstration purposes. The department, in accordance with plans approved by the board, may engage in the management, protection, and reforestation of state forests (PRC 4645) where "management: means the handling of forest crop and forest soil so as to achieve maximum sustained production of high quality forest products while giving consideration to values relating to recreation, watershed, wildlife, range and forage, fisheries, and aesthetic enjoyment (4639).

Obviously the amount of “consideration given can be very subjective. Most visitors would agree that recreation has always been a significant part of Soquel DSF’s activities. The percentage of Soquel DSF staff time and budget is not trivial. I think the basic goal for recreation on Soquel DSF is to show that recreation can not only co-exist but thrive with active forest management. Mountain biking and mushroom collecting (by permit) are currently the most popular recreational activities. Hiking, jogging and equestrians have become less prevalent.

In the Tractor Trail area is a harvesting operation nearing completion. Plans for a new single tract trail in this area began several months ago through the efforts of Drew, Patty, Mark, Paul and many, many others. These folks have spent a lot of their own time to plan and design a trail that is consistent with Soquel DSF’s management needs. Demo Forest Trailwork Schedule
    By the way, we invited Drew, Patty, Paul and Pierre to the CAL FIRE chainsaw class last week so they could be authorized to run chainsaws to help build new legitimate trails. They attended the three day class on their own time with their own equipment. A grant application was submitted last week that took an exceptional amount of time from Patty, Drew, Mark, and Angela.

Many others have also stepped up in recent years to make things happen for the benefit of everyone. Some of the other unsung heroes include Charles, Daryl, Scott, Shane, Kim, Nigel, Gregory, Natasha, the late Dave W. and many others. Many businesses have supported the trail workers through donated money, schwag and advertising. I wish we could list everyone. Sometimes people ride by on trail work days and say thanks as they zip by and sometimes there are kudos given in MTBR forums but most of their work is taken for granted. Most do the work because they want to improve the trails and be a part of it.

The world is run by those that show up. The volunteers that show up for official trail work make the trails that you have today. Soquel DSF staff participates in trail work days as much as possible. Trail work volunteers who are MTB riders obviously know how to build fun trails but Soquel DSF staff need to be involved to ensure that the trails and any stunts are “sustainable,” safe and protect the natural and cultural resources present. Soquel DSF is home to several plant and animal species that are State and Federally protected. There are also historic and pre-historic archaeological sites and artifacts that must be protected. Forest health, accelerated erosion and public safety are also top considerations. Well planned and well built trails can be built that adequately satisfy every concern. Unfortunately the unsanctioned trails and stunts are most often in conflict with proper trail considerations.

The priority during trail work days has to be on maintaining erosion control features first and stunts second. All new trails and re-routes are built to require much lower maintenance than older trails and the un-sanctioned trails that are occasionally built illegally.

I have heard many people explain why they cannot attend a trailwork day. That is understandable. It is not OK however, to instead go build stunts or even trails anywhere someone thinks would be fun. There should be no expectation that unsanctioned stunts and trails will be rebuilt and become legal, no matter how long it has been in place. We have found poorly constructed stunts and fall-line trails in several places on Soquel DSF. Sometimes we find the tools and tennis shoes left behind too.

The Corral Trail area has had many unsanctioned stunts and trail segments constructed in recent years. The recent closing of the step-down trails just happened to coincide with some saw training. A few years ago there were so many stunts built on Corral Road that a vehicle could not even drive the road. Those stunts that were in the roadway were removed by a tractor when we did road maintenance. Last week we took out some trail segments and stunts because they were poorly built and not authorized. Patty, Drew and the other volunteers had nothing to do with closing any trails or stunts and they had no prior knowledge of the work that was done.

Soquel DSF occasionally receives pressure to significantly limit or prohibit mountain bike use for a variety of reasons. So far it has not been necessary to require such drastic measures. Soquel DSF staff does have the authority and ability to issue tickets to violators but have so far resisted in favor of other alternatives. We know that issuing tickets for building and riding illegal trails would likely change the whole relationship we have with visitors and volunteers.

I know of some people who when they do show up for a trail work day, they usually arrive late and leave early because they are there mainly for a ride. When they do participate on trailwork it is with the folks repairing a technical trail feature and not helping those with drainage maintenance. Who would allow anyone to show up and build trails in your yard however they please and then you take responsibility for their safety?
    Soquel State Forest
    Please don't use the "P" word.
    We're not a park!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job!

Way to represent MBoSC with antogonizing remarks,"duh...". The purpose of this thread is to get people out this weekend to work, not divide and conquer.

FYI, those complaining about the recent demolition work on Coral HAVE done their share of sanctioned trailwork. So I soppose that does give use a right to complain. My apoligies to Patty and Drew, just coinidental that you guys posted about working during the week the same time Coral features were decomissioned (RIP).

But, I'm still not convinced the side trails were justly decomissioned. I've just recently started riding Coral in the last 5 years (been riding Demo since the 1st day It became legal 12 years ago). The trais have been there since I''ve been riding Coral, I've never heard of anyone getting hurt, they are on relatively flat terraign and show no signs of errosion, there were "go aroud lines" , and was visable from the fire road wih the afew exceptions blocked by under brush. The second section by passed a muddy section of the road(which is proving to be un-sustainable).They may have been built illegally, but wasn't Braill and Tractor? Why couldn't we just have spent a sanctioned day shoring up any portions that were in qeustion, and trimming back underbrush? They were safe, sustainable, and enjoyed by every one that rode Coral regularily. Coral is very accesable for those of us who don't have the time to do the other trails that are farther out, which makes it very attractive for a weekday afterwork ride. With the exception of the short single track section at the top it just another fireroad. It's worthy of a sanctioned trail day to rebuild those sections that were closed off. It will give us one more trail option worth ridding, and decrease the amount of traffic and wear and tear on Braill and other trails.

Formerly dvo
    How about a lower Corral single track? Bypassing the lower fire road all together? Perhaps built in the style of the new Tamarancho trail? Since forestry is reading, is it even a possibility?

mtbr member
    Way to represent MBoSC with antogonizing remarks,"duh...".
    What antagonizing remarks are you referring to?

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo View Post
    How about a lower Corral single track? Bypassing the lower fire road all together? Perhaps built in the style of the new Tamarancho trail? Since forestry is reading, is it even a possibility?
    I think this will be hard to do since they are wanting to make a flow style trail near Tractor. (Re)building Corral seems like a good idea though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to antagonize anyone. No matter what trail features are out there, someone always wants something more. Sorry to say but Soquel DSF is not the place for unlimited freeriding opportunities. There have been several accidents on Corral Trail in recent years -that we know of. Many just don't get reported. We have even flown out people from the lower helipad via air ambulance. One accident involved two branches through someone's face. If those happened on an un-sanctioned trail, how would we find them? The reason we rocked the bottom of Corral Road last fall is because we buried a fire engine in the road a few years ago while responding to an injured MTB rider. A wet spring suddenly developed in the middle of the road at the sharp turn above Sulphur. Please note however that we will eventually upgrade the whole roadway.

New trails and re-routes of existing trails on Soquel DSF are certainly do-able. The new trail that Drew and Patty are designing prove that. A few years ago we built the re-route on Corral where the bermed switchback is. At that same time we layed out two more re-routes that would add distance to the trail but still preserve "Club Huck" and a few other popular trail features. Go look at the orange flagging from a few years ago. Those re-routes were never built because there wasn't the apparent interest. At the same time however, illegal trails were being built. Legit trails have to go through a CEQA process before they can authorized. Its the law. The re-routes mentioned have gone through the CEQA process and can now be built pending the Forest Manager's approval. We discussed continuing the single track down to Hihn's Mill Road but we decided to take things one step at a time. Eventually there will be timber harvesting on most of Soquel DSF. The return period to the same acreage is expected to average 20 years. That may mean some trails need to be re-built or be replaced with something better - about every twenty years. Right now Drew, Patty, others and us are spending our limited time on the Tractor Trail area. That is the priority because, as I said before, the world is run by those that show up. Also know that we can't justify building new trails if we can't adequately maintain the ones we already have. I suppose its kind of like getting no dessert unless you eat your peas......

Making Braille Trail legit in Spring of 2001 was very clearly a one-time deal only between Soquel DSF and a few members of ROMP. Ask anyone who was involved at the time. Don't expect some kind of "presciptive rights" to take effect or every unsanctioned trail or stunt. There are lots of sketchy stunts out there that may never be upgraded.
    Soquel State Forest
    Please don't use the "P" word.
    We're not a park!

tastes like chicken
    Way to represent MBoSC with antogonizing remarks,"duh...". The purpose of this thread is to get people out this weekend to work, not divide and conquer.
    Paul is a fantastic and engaged volunteer but doesn't represent MBoSC.

Just to be clear only Drew and I are representatives of MBoSC on this thread. Patty is a volunteer for MBoSC but generally represents Stewards of Soquel Forest.

middle ring single track

Props to ir4str

Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Paul is a fantastic and engaged volunteer but doesn't represent MBoSC.
    First, thanks for the good words Mark; you may wish to add forthright and outspoken to my resume. For those unaware I am a member of MBoSC (and MORCA and ROMP); just not a socially active member---I support by paying my dues and trying to help out with trails in the area when I'm able to. Not trying to intentionally antagonize anybody either; just hate to see peep's getting up false hopes. None of what comes down should be a surprise to anybody.

Secondly, major props to Ed for posting to this forum; it's so rare for staff of a land management agency to take the time to explain matters as such.

This really caught my eye:
    At that same time we layed out two more re-routes that would add distance to the trail but still preserve "Club Huck" and a few other popular trail features. Go look at the orange flagging from a few years ago. Those re-routes were never built because there wasn't the apparent interest. At the same time however, illegal trails were being built. Legit trails have to go through a CEQA process before they can authorized. Its the law. The re-routes mentioned have gone through the CEQA process and can now be built pending the Forest Manager's approval."
    Who's down with pursuing this? Any "apparent interest"??? Might be a fun project while we wait for the new flow trail to break ground.

Sorry, won't be at Demo this Saturday---have business to attend to at Coe.

mtbr member
    Just duplicating:

Looking forward to tomorrow! I'll be riding in as usually, starting around 7:00 so I can get in a full day of work (as usual) but satisfy my one day a week Demo ride that I cherish. I plan to ride down braille, up tractor and meet everyone on Sawpit. Hopefully it will be timed so I get you guys as reach upper Sawpit. Look forward to getting Sawpit in ship shape. If the destination has changed, please let me know. Thanks!

Side note:

At that same time we layed out two more re-routes that would add distance to the trail but still preserve "Club Huck" and a few other popular trail features. Go look at the orange flagging from a few years ago. Those re-routes were never built because there wasn't the apparent interest. At the same time however, illegal trails were being built. Legit trails have to go through a CEQA process before they can authorized. Its the law. The re-routes mentioned have gone through the CEQA process and can now be built pending the Forest Manager's approval."
    Who's down with pursuing this? Any "apparent interest"??? Might be a fun project while we wait for the new flow trail to break ground.

I would totally be up for this. I had scouted a while back a route that extends the ST and drops further down the fireroad (past club Huck). Just let me know what I can do to help there...heck, I'd even take it on myself if they'd let me...it would certainly get some personality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New to the area and would like to help...

Hi All

I'm new to this area. just moved to the bay area.
    How can I join you guys and help rebuild some trails?

Please send me details on how to get to Soquel forest and what time to meet.
    I'm always happy to help out with such things.

Sorry for the stupid question, should I come with a bike or just bring only myself (all work, no fun :-( )

Thanks
    Avinoam

P.S.
    Tried to post my email but the system did not let me.
    So, can someone please post details on how to get to the parking lot and what time to be there???

middle ring single track

Google maps...

Quote Originally Posted by avinoamkam View Post
    Hi All

I'm new to this area. just moved to the bay area.
    How can I join you guys and help rebuild some trails?

Please send me details on how to get to Soquel forest and what time to meet.
    I'm always happy to help out with such things.

Sorry for the stupid question, should I come with a bike or just bring only myself (all work, no fun :-( )

Thanks
    Avinoam

P.S.
    Tried to post my email but the system did not let me.
    So, can someone please post details on how to get to the parking lot and what time to be there???
    ...is probably the easiest way to get directions from wherever you're at.

Enter "Hihn's Mill Rd, Los Gatos, CA" in the Google search bar; it'll take you right to the parking lot. (a short distance off the "main" road, Highland Way)

Follow this link Trailworkers and read all you can about Soquel Demonstration State Forest, then go to http://www.trailworkers.com/administ...min=00&ampm=AM to sign up for tomorrow. (and get details)

Since it's your first time I wouldn't bother with a bike; otherwise I'd say go for it! You can always come back on Sunday for some exploration by bike; you can easily spend a whole day there doing loops.

Get your first 10 posts to MTBR then you'll be able to join in the fun...

Welcome to the area!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    got it, thanks.
    See you tomorrow at 9:00.

aka dan51
    I'm game for the reroutes on corral. I personally don't like the trail as it's too much fireroad for a dh. If we could add single track anywhere I'd be happy.

See you tomorrow.

mtbr member
    OK. I'll be the first to brag the **** up. Worked Sawpit from Tractor to the end...she's sweet!

You might notice a few things.

About 100 yards before Tractor (road...let's face it, it's gone...til it's reborn) on Ridge to the uphill...it's buffed!

We worked the trail from Rock Garden on. Rebuilt some old friends and they are reborn and better than ever. All time great moment: Ed, we have a sweet plank and it needs a home. Ed and crew: We have 10 minutes...

Done.

Also, the rejuvinated table top is AWESOME!

Great working with you all today. 19+ diggers I think. Hope we see a great turnout next time around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soquel Demonstration work planned for Feb. 16th!  Let's get a big ole crew out there!-111.jpg  

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Got a whole lot of cool stuff done today, even with a certain someone throwing sticks at me most of the time.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd be down for this just as long as their is plenty of huck involved, and preserve some of the more fun sections of the fire road (wall rides, side hucks...).

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    We had a great time. It was more fun than work (of course, we rode in late...sorry). And it was really cool to see how some people with experience, vision, and mad chainsaw skills (Ed) could get things done fast.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-16-2013 at 04:15 PM.

aka dan51
    Another great trailwork day.
    Highlight for me was getting to the top of sawpit and running into Ed talking to my lady and her friend. They were riding instead of doing trailwork. As we were talking, Shiloh asked me what's for lunch? I ripped a huge fart in response, and chuckled a bit. Then Ed, with a straight face, says "you forgot the bread". Friggin hilarious!

Looking forward to the next one.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Ed is a super cool dood, we are very lucky to have him out there with us. Especially with those chainsaw skills!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Had a great time yesterday for my first time ever trail work day!! It's a great feeling finally giving back to these trails I've been riding for years and learning some trailwork skills from our great teachers: Drew, Patti & Ed. I'll definitely help again soon.