mtbr member

Soquel Demonstration Forest Trail Work?

I'm ready. The dirt is ready!

Are we getting a trail work day planned anytime soon? I'll look into becoming a lead for this year but in the meantime, how we gonna get this going?
    I'm not sure how this works.

padded
    I'm in as long as it's a Saturday. The soil moisture is really good right now, would be a perfect time to work on re-routes and anything that requires digging.
    Suggestions for spots that need work? I can think of a few spots on Sawpit that could use drainage work.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Team Chilidog!
    There are some on Braille too that can use a bit of work.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

trail rat
    Keep on eye on this site.
    Trailworkers
    Preserving Public Trails in Santa Cruz and the Bay Area since 2000
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    There's one spot fairly early up on Braille that is always the last spot to dry, and it seems to have eroded a bit due to drainage. It's right after a right hand turn, and kinda dips down into the muddy spot.

Haven't ridden in awhile, but that always stands out to me.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    I'm willing to lend some muscle if you need it.

Trail Blazer
    I've never done trail work but want to. I'm down to get dirty.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    It's pretty fun, actually, and is always sweet to ride a trail and say "hey, I helped build that!"
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Blargen
    There has been talk about some major work on tractor. Is it time?

mtbr member
    Thanks to Daryl and others who let us know about the trees down on Ridge Trail (between Corral and the Upper Helipad) and lower Braille.

We planned to have two Fire Crews with us today to clear the trails but the crews cancelled at the last minute. So..... Angela and I decided to start trailwork season anyway today on Ridge Trail. We looked at the huge windfall jumble of trees covering a steep uphill section in a through-cut and decided not to perpetuate that trail segment. It was a bad deal all the way around. Instead, we started building a re-route on the Northerly side of the old trail. All we managed to do for now is brush-out the route and construct a pioneer trail. It's not rideable yet but at least its better than trying to bushwhack around the windfalls.

The point of this posting is to let you know this re-route is legit and will hopefully be finished early next week. We're looking forward to a good trailwork season with new trail opportunities in addition to improving the existing trails.

BTW, there was a car break-in along Highland Way this afternoon. FORTUNATELY a rider saw it all happen and called 911 with the Perp's description, vehicle license #, etc. He also scared away the bad guybefore he could do more damage.

If there is another point to make here its that you get out of the Demo what you put into it. Hope to see you at a trailwork day.
    Soquel State Forest
    Please don't use the "P" word.
    We're not a park!

tastes like chicken
    Thank you Ed for the update.

I just got a brief note from Angela (Forest Manager). Excerpt...

...Today the Aides worked with a crew out on Tractor Trail and I just got word that they finished opening up the road and cleaning waterbars so we are posting the good news that the trail is re-opened.

Highland Way is still closed from slides (since Christmas). I spoke to someone at SC county public works and they said they are getting their engineer and geologist out there this week to assess. So no news yet on the prognosis. Also the new gate is finally getting installed tomorrow at the bridge on Highland Way.

We are planning the "Santa Cruz Super Enduro" for the early summer and part of the conditions is that she wants to see MBoSC and the mountain biking community take more leadership and responsibility for the trail work.

I'm going to be working the Drew P this weekend on an outline for SDSF trail work and perhaps some dates. Does anyone else want to be in the loop for the trail work planning? If so then PM me with your email addy.

Alternatively, come out to work with us on the Emma McCrary trail in the Pogonip this Saturday Jan 5th from 9-1 pm. Next Pogonip workday on the Emma McCrary trail is January 5th. Sponsored by Epicenter Cycling. | Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBOSC)

Angela, Drew and I will be working the trail and it we can have a discussion during the post work pizza and beverage session.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ir4str View Post
    Thanks to Daryl and others who let us know about the trees down on Ridge Trail (between Corral and the Upper Helipad) and lower Braille.

We planned to have two Fire Crews with us today to clear the trails but the crews cancelled at the last minute. So..... Angela and I decided to start trailwork season anyway today on Ridge Trail. We looked at the huge windfall jumble of trees covering a steep uphill section in a through-cut and decided not to perpetuate that trail segment. It was a bad deal all the way around. Instead, we started building a re-route on the Northerly side of the old trail. All we managed to do for now is brush-out the route and construct a pioneer trail. It's not rideable yet but at least its better than trying to bushwhack around the windfalls.

The point of this posting is to let you know this re-route is legit and will hopefully be finished early next week. We're looking forward to a good trailwork season with new trail opportunities in addition to improving the existing trails.

BTW, there was a car break-in along Highland Way this afternoon. FORTUNATELY a rider saw it all happen and called 911 with the Perp's description, vehicle license #, etc. He also scared away the bad guybefore he could do more damage.

If there is another point to make here its that you get out of the Demo what you put into it. Hope to see you at a trailwork day.
    How do I give this person +reps???
    They are out there working on some of the Bay Areas best trails.
    Please help.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    How do I give this person +reps???
    They are out there working on some of the Bay Areas best trails.
    Please help.
    Click on the thumbs up icon at the lower left of their post, between the green ball and the red/white triangle.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Click on the thumbs up icon at the lower left of their post, between the green ball and the red/white triangle.
    Thank you

trail rat
    You're welcome. Gotta love trail builders.

Go out and help, ir4str, MBOSC, drew p, mrtoadsc, give them half a day of trail work, you will make a difference and you will be appreciated. Not that rep is not good here, but moving dirt in the real world of trails is better.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I hear ya. If I didn't live North of the GGB I might show up for some of those trail days. Shoot, I might even ride there more than once or twice a year. Don't worry, I do my part for the trails up here

Blargen
    Quote Originally Posted by ir4str View Post

Big thanks to Ed, Angela and the rest of the SFF crew for their work. I really like the reroute on ridge and at the top of sulfur. I hated those climbs! Demo just keeps getting bettet. Looking forward to doing some trail work this winter.