Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Soquel Demonstration Forest - 2-3-hour ride - recommendations?

First of all, I have never been to Soquel Demonstration Forest. I usually ride during the day while my kids are in school. Is it possible to ride Demo, say 2-3 hours during the day, and what route do you recommend for a ride of that duration? Thanks in advance.

Mtn View, CA
    Sawpit loop is awesome. If you find yourself running out of time take Braille or Corral to cut the ride shorter.

Demo Forest (Sawpit Trail) - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    It depends on how fast a climber you are and what your skill level is. If you're reasonably fast, you can do a sawpit->sulfur->braille loop in 3 hours. I think that's about 3500 ft of climbing. If you're slow, stick with a single braille loop. It also is pretty advanced in terms of skill level, especially if you have never ridden there before; you can easily take a line to a feature you might not be comfortable hitting. The CDF does try to make sure there are noob lines everywhere as the main line, but still. Since demo is pretty remote and there isn't nearly as much rider traffic as on a weekend, I'd be wary about doing a virgin solo ride out there on a weekday. Maybe someone can show you around.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I would say go for the Sawpit loop if you're an average rider. You'll get a decent amount of s/t, but you will have a healthy climb out at the end. If you like to do drops/jumps, then drop Braille, or maybe Corral-Braille.

There's almost always somebody else around (eventually). But I'd give yourself 3+ hours just so you can take in the views and maybe session some features. The trails are a little blown out, so some aggressive tires will make life better. I can probably give you a tour depending of the date. Shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-14-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    What time of the day would you be riding here. Perhaps someone could show you around? I typically ride there during the week starting at about 3:45 - 4pm. That might be a bit too late for you.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. It looks like I start-out on Hihn's Mill Road, choose one of the single-track trails, then climb back-out? And what about parking? It looks like there are two places to park?

I usually drop-off my kids at school at 9, then hit the local trail near my house, or go to Santa Cruz and ride Wilder. I can usually ride Wilder, drive home, clean-up and be on-time to pick-up my kids from school. For my first time out at Demo, I'll probably choose a shorter loop, not spend much time on features, then come back during the weekend to mess around. Thanks again for the info!

swag ho Administrator
    You would be much better off if your first time was with someone who's familiar with the place. Or.. just any weekend when there's people there.

On weekday mornings, there's no one there and it will feel like you are 50 miles away from civilization. There's no cell service too.

If you go it alone, just make sure you tell someone where you are and you have all the tools, plenty of food and water.

You'll probably be perfectly fine solo but it's a question of how much security blanket you want.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether or not I go solo. I tend not to take chances when I'm alone, especially when riding somewhere new. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    I'd be down for a Friday ride perhaps. Who's in?

Francois...I get Verizon in about 80% of the park. Most of it on the ST. I lose it on the climb out and climb up mostly. Also, can you get rid of that annoying 'O' in your name? Francis is so much easier to remember.
    I'm not sure how this works.

swag ho Administrator
    Verizon is Demo approved. Maybe ATT has signal on the downhills. We only try on the uphills so far. That's good to know that you can live blog from there.

From now on, you can just call me 'O'.

fc

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I'd be down for a Friday ride perhaps. Who's in?

Francois...I get Verizon in about 80% of the park. Most of it on the ST. I lose it on the climb out and climb up mostly. Also, can you get rid of that annoying 'O' in your name? Francis is so much easier to remember.
    IPA will save America

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    Thanks for the info. It looks like I start-out on Hihn's Mill Road, choose one of the single-track trails, then climb back-out? And what about parking?
    Almost everybody takes Highland around to Aptos Creek fireroad to the start of Ridge. Starting on Hihn's Mill means climbing Sulfur Springs--which isn't all that much fun--and cuts out a fun section of Ridge Trail.

There have been smash-n-grabs in the past, so I like to park in the inner parking lot, but I still don't leave anything valuable in the car.

I'd be down for Friday with squashyo (the Mayor of Demo).

VV Tractor is open again, there's just very little s/t left.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-14-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

just another bleepin SSer
    Printable map and some ride option descriptions at http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/SDF.html.

Note - tractor is shown on the map, but is closed. They just logged that stretch which obliterated the trail, and the MTB community is just ramping up the trail elves to build a new trail there.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map and the info.

mtbr member
    What time Friday? Probably won't work for me as I have to work an event at my kid's school starting at 2 pm. Cool, I have Verizon...

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Verizon is Demo approved. Maybe ATT has signal on the downhills. We only try on the uphills so far. That's good to know that you can live blog from there.

From now on, you can just call me 'O'.

fc

mtbr member
    I'd need be back by then too...maybe 9 or 10am start? (heck, I could even do 8am) Even with a 10 am start, we could knock out a Braille run and be back in time no prob! (9am would give us a Corral run addition). Sawpit can wait...it's fun but no where near as fun as Braille. (I am in Los Gatos so travel time is 30 minutes door to door)

I'd be bringing a Mojo HD for hucking festivities but can climb it fairly good.

mtbr member

Re: Soquel Demonstration Forest - 2-3-hour ride - recommendations?

I was planning on riding there Friday too if you guys dont mind another tag along. A 10a start would be enough time for corral, braille, and shootin the sh*t along the way. No bsing might allow for an additional braille loop but thats pushing it time wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    A-ok by me but would prefer an earlier start however, 10am is fine. Just need be back to parking lot by 1:45 so any extra time will provide a nice safety net. I see we just might have some rain Thursday...how cool would that be!!!

mtbr member

Early Start?

Anybody able to go early?

I'm going to try and start @8:00 cuz I'm coming from the Eastbay and traffic will probably suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN View Post
    Anybody able to go early?

I'm going to try and start @8:00 cuz I'm coming from the Eastbay and traffic will probably suck.
    Actually, I think once you get on 880/17, it's an opposite commute so should be wide open. (I wouldn't know for certain though as I am LG Side). I am down for whatever time works for the group...stoked to get in a Demo run...my daughter has a soccer tourney all weekend in Concord (agh)...I'll get a JMP run in Sat. afternoon though (yeah).

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I think he's still gonna hit traffic getting through San Jose at that hour (any commute experts out there?).

I'd be down for a 9:00--maybe 8:30--start. But what about the OP?!
    Why?

mtbr member
    What says we?! How about 9am, upper dirt lot. I'll be bringing the DH sided Mojo HD so don't expect a crushing uphill hammer session but we'll be havin' some fun using gravity and momentum on the backside - hear me? What says we? 9am ok with y'all?

mtbr member
    I can't make it Friday. Shooting for Sunday. That's my next "free" day.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    9:00.

So it is written, so it shall be.

(don't forget yer pass and yer timer)
    Why?

mtbr member
    So, Mr. Vert...maybe we might need to drop that trail that not be mentioned here (this is an illusion everyone else)...the one you have not ventured down yet...not that one, the longer one. Yeah, that one. If yes, I'll be bringing the XC rig...if you'd rather boost some air, I'll bring the Mojo and we'll stick with Demo. word.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Mr. Squash, I accept your invitation to the aforementioned new soil. Cheers.

(pm me the new meeting spot)
    Why?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast