Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soquel Demo Sportlegs ride report.

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jimyoo 
#1 · (Edited)
The ride is over. 5 men enter, 2 men leave. Present at the ride were Derek aka 'derek', Joe aka 'joseph da trog', Ed aka 'derelict', Jae aka 'jimyoo' and myself. K-max got a late start but was riding the trails the whole time. We never saw him though.

Route again was:
1st - Buzzards, Saw Pit, Hihns Mill to lot
2nd - Buzzards, Tractor, Hihns Mill - food break
3rd - Sulphur Springs, Braille, Hihns Mill to lot - lunch at car
4rth - Buzzards, Coral, Hihn's Mill to lot.

The day started out with a bright sun, blinding drivers on the drive to Demo. It was going to be a warm day but of course Demo starts you out cold by Highland road. Temps on the first mile was 44 degrees and by the time we hit the summit, it was 66 degrees.

Conditions were interesting. It was dry but not dusty. It was very 'leafy'. This made for tricky cornering conditions as awesome traction would give way to a layer of leaves. It seems there was a windstorm here a week ago as there are a ton of branches on the ground. Some big, some small with a couple downed trees. This is nature's tree trimming process.

The ride start was at 8:30am and end was as 3pm. Actual riding time was 5 hours with 1 1/2 hours of break time. Mileage was 45 miles and altitude gain was 6200 feet.

The ride itself was perfectly executed. The group was tightly packed and everyone kept it safe and steady. Sawpit was pretty interesting with a lot of debris on the trail. Tractor was fast and Braille was fun as ever. Corral was really cool as it was covered with leaves. It's really fun but then it ends all too soon with a long fire road that connects to Sulphur Springs. At least it has jumps.

After Lap 3, Derek, Joe and Ed pulled out the beer and the camping chairs and called it a day. Joe was reallly torn as he wanted to do Lap 4 so bad but the legs were not very sporting anymore. Surprisingly, Jae was upbeat for Lap 4. He said he had a lot of rice for breakfast and was feeling good.

On Lap 4, we felt good enough to do the Pig singletrack trail on the Buzzards Climb to the top. This was good cause this completes our ride with every trail on Demo. We climbed out strong and it was done.

We met about 20 people along the way. Kevin and El Santo were with the Stanford team ride. Sean and Matt were out having fun. Everyone seemed to know we were doing a big ride and were giving us props.

A truly awesome day in an awesome place.

Here's some pics from my 20 megapixel Hasselblad.

Jae, Derek and Joe ready to go.

Ed setting up with his new custom rack. He's from Chicago so he's just wearing a t-shirt... at 44 degrees

Rolin, rollin, rollin.

Joe in the bright sun

Derek not airing it out

Jae with the only mechanical of the day. His inner tube valve just gave out while we were sitting around.

Suffer Springs wall

Jae after the great ride. First ride at demo was 4 months ago. Now he's ridden every trail there in one ride.

Me, post-ride. Where's the Newcastle?

francois

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy cow, you guys set a fast pace. I was out there too, but didn't see your group. I did catch up with K-Max for loop #2 down Sawpit. I rode the Pig singletrack up and Braille down for my first go around, but took things slower than you guys. Amazingly warm weather for mid-November.

-Dave

#3 ·
Imfreakingpressive...

It's too bad I didn't get there in time for the punisher ride. I stayed out a bit too late the night before. I thought for sure I'd find you guys on the second lap somewhere, but alas you eluded me all day. As luck would have it, though, I caught Dave and we had a good ride down Sawpit. It was one of those perfect weather days that I reminisce about during our weeklong rain storms. I could have laid in the sun at the helipad and taken a nap. In fact, we're heading out to Wilder today to take advantage of this CA weather again.

So how are the sportlegs feeling today?

Oh, and the Newcastles were in my car. :p

#4 ·
K-max said:
So how are the sportlegs feeling today?

Oh, and the Newcastles were in my car. :p
We were behind you I think. We started out our second lap at 10:15.

The legs are fine, surprisingly. Either life begins at 40 or this Sportlegs schit works. It's funny, I took 6 months off the singlespeed and now my SS mojo is back better than before.

I had a cooler full of Newcastles but I drank none. I had to rush home to take care of the kids. We did hit Tied House Brewery that evening though and I passed out at 10pm as my wife drove me home.

BTW, I ate 4 noahs bagels, 1 enervitine pack, 1 enervit gel, 1 fruit leather, 1 pack of dried mangoes, 1 powerbar endurance bottle, 1 hammergel HEED bottle and 3 waterbottles. It's cool to do pitstops at the car as I didn't even have to carry a camelback.

fc

#5 ·
Awesome ride;

Somehow I felt strong that day. But 4th one was tough for me.
Nice to ride with you guys. Francois you were real strong even without gears; I was trying to use middle ring but couldn't help it on Springs and Pig (good to know about this nice singletrack).
I had 2 powerbars, a croissant, some nuts, 2.5 L of water on that ride; and lots of rice in the morning.
Thanks,

#6 ·
francois said:
The legs are fine, surprisingly. Either life begins at 40 or this Sportlegs schit works. It's funny, I took 6 months off the singlespeed and now my SS mojo is back better than before.
I must admit those Sportleg pills seem to work (or it could be the homemade energy gel). Joe gave me some after the first lap and I never did feel any twinges of crampings like I did last weekend at Coe.

I must admit I was wishing for my singlespeed as my rear derailleur couldn't hold a gear on the climb out the last time.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Joe, he took off after you guys on the fourth lap and I didn't see him come back to the lot before I left.

Thanks for the great ride.

-Derek

PS What were the details for the 3 lap route?

#7 ·
Very impressive guys

And you Sir SStud Francois on the rigid retro all day. Awesome! Looks like there was a few epics in Norcal over the w/end. I stayed local and did a *couple loop* mini-epic tour of Annadel.

Another beautiful day brought lotsa users out to the trails. Can't believe this is the midddle of November. They'll have to make some adjustments to the Farmers Almanac for this year!

#9 · (Edited)
JMac47 said:
And you Sir SStud Francois on the rigid retro all day. Awesome! Looks like there was a few epics in Norcal over the w/end. I stayed local and did a *couple loop* mini-epic tour of Annadel.

Another beautiful day brought lotsa users out to the trails. Can't believe this is the midddle of November. They'll have to make some adjustments to the Farmers Almanac for this year!
He, he, he. My bike had a Fox suspension fork btw. Joe should have a photo. The rigid fork made me not want to ride that thing, specially at Demo.

Interesting story...
My retrotec bike has never been right since I bought it. First I built it up with all chromed and heavy parts and it weighed 28 lbs. Then I lightened it up but the 180mm cranks kept hitting the ground. Then I shortened the cranks and put on a rigid fork. The cranks still hit the ground and it was rigid.

So I'm at Interbike and I spot the legendary builder of today, Jeff Jones. I walk up to him an introduce myself. Anyway, we talk and he asks "How's your Retrotec. I love that bike and someday, I'd like to own one." I go, dayum, you know about my cruiser? It gave me new appreciation for my ole bike. That's why it's on my Avatar now. I dusted off the cobwebs and put on a good fork which raised the BB and now it's a great bike. I put on these WTB Exiwolf 2.1 tires btw and they're really good for fast, fall riding.

fc

#10 ·
derek said:
I must admit those Sportleg pills seem to work (or it could be the homemade energy gel). Joe gave me some after the first lap and I never did feel any twinges of crampings like I did last weekend at Coe.

I must admit I was wishing for my singlespeed as my rear derailleur couldn't hold a gear on the climb out the last time.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from Joe, he took off after you guys on the fourth lap and I didn't see him come back to the lot before I left.

Thanks for the great ride.

-Derek

PS What were the details for the 3 lap route?
Joe followed us? Holy crap. Hope he's ok. Now that's heart!!

I'm not real clear on Lap 3 stats since my computer sucks and ruined all my altitutude and mileage charts. I had to rely on Jae's bike computer. My best estimate would be:
35 miles, 5300 feet.

francois

#13 ·
Francois, you're an animal, and to do it on that SS. It was nice meeting you, Sean on the 575. Joesph made it to the fire road and I guess turned around. Torture, thats what it looked like to me. See ya at the turkey ride.
Sean

#14 ·
smw said:
Francois, you're an animal, and to do it on that SS. It was nice meeting you, Sean on the 575. Joesph made it to the fire road and I guess turned around. Torture, thats what it looked like to me. See ya at the turkey ride.
Sean
Ahhhh, put a face to the handle. Sweet. I've enjoyed your posts all along. Great to meet you as well and I trust y'all had a good ride.

francois

#16 ·
francois said:
Ahhhh, put a face to the handle. Sweet. I've enjoyed your posts all along. Great to meet you as well and I trust y'all had a good ride.

francois
Always a good time at Demo. If ya dont enjoy riding Demo your in the wrong sport. :D Good friends, good trails, and great weather. :cool:
Sean

#18 ·
They Are Right

I could not stand it. I had to see if I could attempt a 4th lap. So I did speed off after you and J. You guys were about a 75yards in front of me when I yelled for you. You guys could not here me at that point. Yeah! SMW is right I made it to the start of the fire road and just could not go any further. My head said yes. But my legs said hell no. So I rolled back to the lot. Good thing too. As I crossed the bridge and started to climb the little hill to the lot both my legs were screaming bloody murder. My thighs were just shredded. I am still a little sore right now.

I do not think I eat enough during the ride. I was so focused on doing 4laps and popping Sport leg pills that I just did not eat enough for that length of ride. 4 laps and 45 miles at Demo is such a challenge. My hat is off to you and J for finishing such a challenge. My thanks to you for posting such a ride as this was. Good weather and great riding.

It was real neat to see the Retro Cruiser on the trail again. The new forks you can tell makes a big difference on how the bike looks and handles. I like that bike also. I like the colors.

Some pix below

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.