Thread: Soquel Demo PSA

Weird huh?

Soquel Demo PSA

PSA-

Rode Demo yesterday with a friend. The entrance to the upper parking lot is closed as they're rebuilding the bridge.
    May not sound like a big deal but the construction guys made it a big deal trying to get out after doing the runs.

You'll be forced to hike down to Soquel creek on the right side of the bridge coming out. Not a big deal, but be ready for it. You will have to wade thru about a foot of water to hike up the other side with your bike over your shoulder.

Otherwise, things were fabulous out there. Had a longish talk with CDF, uh, I mean CAL FIRE as we were unloading the bikes. She was completely pro mountain bikes and even offered trail advice and brochures. Worth mentioning as her level of enthusiasm for the area was just refreshing to see.

And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for the update. I was going to take an out of towner out there tomorrow but started leaning to somewhere else with the exit concerns.

And yes, our new best friend is very cool. I had the pleasure of doing a trail work day with her and she was great! I also ran into her at the parking lot a week or so back and she was talking about Tractor and how when we re-open, potentially making it much longer by using more of the hillside rather than the straight down option.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

Weird huh?
    Hey Squash, I figured you'd one of the first to chime in. Definitely go, just be prepared for a pretty vertical hike a bike to get out of the upper parking lot.
    Kinda stoked to see Tractor after being closed a year. Wish I'd got her name, but yeah, she's super enthusiastic on building trails and doing them right. Great to see that kind of advocacy out there.

wal
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Tractor opened again? Or are you just saying you are looking forward to seeing it?

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Tractor opened again? Or are you just saying you are looking forward to seeing it?
    No, July'ish hopefully

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Supposedly it's going to be logged again soon:
    Another heads-up; we will resume logging in the Tractor Trail area in about a month from now. Trucks from that timber sale will once again be leaving the forest via the parking lot and this bridge. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    -Ed
    That's from the second post here: Demo Closed this Weekend!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Is the bridge open again?

mtbr member
    I rode across the bridge on Wednesday around 6pm. They were just finishing up. The guy told me I was the first person to cross it! (well other than the guys working on it)
    It looks really good.
    I like to ride bikes.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    Is the bridge open again?
    I was just logging on to ask the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I was just logging on to ask the same thing.
    What he said
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I was just logging on.
    No pun intended.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    sounds like Demo is going to be a busy playground this weekend...bring it on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Father's Day shred fest!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    sounds like Demo is going to be a busy playground this weekend...bring it on!
    Yup. It's going to be too freakin' hot to ride anywhere else during the day.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Friends and I rode the demo today. On our way out, at approximately 12:15 PM there were three fire trucks and 1 ambulance responding, followed shortly by an ATV. They all took the fire road which we usually take for rideout. I'm not very familiar with the trail names - this fire road starts from the Highland way, over a bridge, past the parking lot and deep into the forest, past Tractor trails and way into the Saw pit.

Anyone know what happened?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there was a shoulder injury on ridge where it meets braille. guy was awake and could walk but didnt seem to have use of his arm. they started walking toward the helipad after I arrived. apparently he was in much worse mental shape earlier when the emergency call had been put out but had recovered by the time calfire was near.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode past the injured guy. Overreaction. Big time. I had to push my own bike out when I broke my arm last year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider View Post
    I rode past the injured guy. Overreaction. Big time. I had to push my own bike out when I broke my arm last year!
    Damn... It was packed today, but even then I wouldn't ride these trails alone. You are just too far out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    Damn... It was packed today, but even then I wouldn't ride these trails alone. You are just too far out.
    Hehe I was riding with friends but decided to be nice and let them do saw pit while I walked down braille. Ya I wouldn't do demo alone.

Your killing my Strava
    Yea I was there today and rolled up just after it had happened. The guys was really messed up. He had a group of other riders there helping him out
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I did see the truck in front of me on sulphur trail. I couldn't ride the trail in a good speed because of that. but on my way back there were like 3-4 truck that passed me. One of them stop to ask me if i was alright as I just wave my hand to say hello. Got to love this guys !

I ride Demo alone but I'm a newbie so I walk my bike through steep rocky section. But now I'm not sure to ride it alone again , That's a shame there is nobody that want to ride as much as I do around me ...

mtbr member
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and rode it alone down Braille.
    Heck of a ride for sure! But I was thinking of doing it again tomorrow or Tuesday if I have the time to drive down there from the city.

I didn't see Braille as a "do not ride alone" trail even going fast (fast for me... probably not fast for the 20ish crowd and the real DH racer types ).

When they start logging out there just that one trail will be affected right? More trucks on the road at the bottom?

Nothing else will be affected there will it?