Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soo cold.

4K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  nativeson 
#1 ·
I was waiting for the high of the day before I got out to ride.

But I think it's gonna start snowing in a few minutes.

fc

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Off to Kennedy in about 45 mins. I was waiting for it to break 50 degrees, but I don't think that's happening today.

JULY, can you hear me, over...come on back!

#11 ·
Hit Demo this morning... Rolled out around 9am. Cusacks, Bacon, Corral, and Braille. We lucked out and had no rain for the entire ride. Started to dump right as we got back to the road / cars. Cold, but not too bad. Good temps for climbing and the dirt was good. Guessing, it will probably be too wet for tomorrow.

I got schooled by a guy on an S-Works SS. Very fast and he hit every jump out there.

#12 ·
Hit Auburn today for 24 miles 3300 feet. No rain+-very few puddles+tacky dirt= awesome. Except it was friggin cold. I had to stop at drivers flat to get two sandwich bags for my feet, they felt like blocks of ice. I was under dressed with bib shorts and two long sleeve shirts and a jacket. Still glad I was able to get in a quality ride, I will be less grumpy the rest of the weekend :)

#15 ·
3 core layers, one (including knee warmers) on the legs. 9:30 start time in Wilder++... Hit some trails near Empire Grade, a bit mushy but not too bad. Climbs in Wilder resulted in one layer coming off around 10:15am.

Sure it's chilly, but once you get going, it isn't too bad. Unless you ride like CHUM and crash too much.

#16 ·
Sure it's chilly, but once you get going, it isn't too bad. Unless you ride like CHUM and crash too much.
Or if you start at 7:30 and finish up with a creek crossing that soaks your socks followed by a long downhill pavement run. Took a while for the extreme appendages to recover yesterday.

I'm just dreading the real cold days later this month and into January. Those are the days that are really hard to get motivated to get out the door for a pre-work ride.

#18 ·
Brave the elements?

Yeah, just keep pedaling! Got some more time on the bike in Marin today. About same outcome as rensho, about 5 hrs and drenched to the bone when done.:nono:

Downtown Fairfax-thru Deer Park-loop around Lake Lagunitas, Shaver/Eldridge-East Peak, tha'ts where I started to get pelted. West Peak across some of the Sisters-and down into Laurel Del.

Attachments

#19 ·
Braving the elements Part 2

After climbing out of Laurel Del you meet up with Rock Springs, heading East on here will eventually drop you back down to the dam at the start of the Lake Lagunitas trail. I was still feeling pretty good, and really wanted to use my Tamarancho Day Pass that I bought, so part way down I decided to pick up Rocky Ridge which heads you somewhat West and dropped down to the dam at Bon Tempe Reservoir, which is the spillway to Alpine Reservoir below. I selectively picked my way around above Alpine and lets just say I climbed an old overgrown cut road out of the ravine that popped me out on Bolinas/Fairfax Rd just shy of the summit near the Pine Mtn Loop trailhead. So up I went!:thumbsup:

Attachments

#20 ·
Bay area weenies

42 miles in 7 hours at Auburn today starting, at 7:30 am. Temperature range 32 to 39, average of 35 for the day. Ran into 60 high schoolers and "coaches" on Connector and FDL and they were all very courteous and polite. Many even called me sir. I was very impressed. Rain started just as I finished, so early start was a great idea.

#21 · (Edited)
Part 3.....

Feeling abit punky I was tempted to crest BoFax past the PML th and head down the easier path back to Fairfax......not! I needed to warm up with a climb, not freeze my wet spandex clad a$$ off descending the road. Besides, muuussst....get....to....Tamarancho. $5 already spent you know....

Amazed at the amount of golf carts I saw zipping around on the Meadow Club course from my vantage point after starting the climb up in the last picture in previous post. Amazingly I grunted my way up the first MF'r pitch with only one slight dab halfway up after richocheting off a rock into a soft spot. I took the San Geranimo Ridge fire road spur and headed up towards the infamous Repack Run. Arrgh! Another possible escape route back down in front of me.....I trudged on to the upper plateau to catch the White Hill spur. No more photo stops from here on out as by the time I was done descending down to the B17xtn, I was really getting the chills. Now with 2 bailout choices before me, I dove in to the Camp. I just had to justify that Day Pass purchase!! Besides there would be more fast descending heading out to Porcupine, and I definitely didn't think I could withstand the high speed drop on SFD Blvd from the bridge back into town. Even tho my original plan was a full loop and back out the ext'n, and finishing up on Old RR Grade to White Hill School, I figured a half lap of the loop would sufice my fix in Tamarancho. The climb out of Broken Dam was warming, but not enuff to keep warm and prevent the shivers from starting on the way down Goldman and Alchemist. The drop down Iron Springs Rd couldn't end soon enuff either. It was a little warmer back out on the road back to Fairfax Cyclery where I parked my truck. Fobbling with the keys to get in and started up to warm the cab was a challenge.

But what an EPIC day!

The End :thumbsup:

Attachments

#23 ·
Glad to see there are plenty others who HTFU and ride in the cold. Was suppose to do an early road ride today but everyone bailed because it was cold and it *might* rain.
So mtb it is. Had to take the wife's bike out due to my bike waiting for me to get off my arse and fix some drivetrain issues.... Fortunately temps were ~40/41 so went with the wind breaker gloves (not the brrr it's cold gloves), base tank, jersey, arm warmers, leg warmers, bib shorts and wool socks. A bit cold going down Stage, but after the climbing the first 200 yards, nothin' but toasty and comfortable (the extra layer of blubber helps). Unfortunately the wife's bike needed some fitting adjustments so after Stagecoach x2 I was having some knee pain so there ya go. A short ride, but glad I got one in.
Cold weather is no excuse not to ride. Get the right equipment, HTFU, and go ride!

#27 ·
Really frosty here. Sometimes it gets out of the negatives. Get out and ride!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.