Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soo cold.

4K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  nativeson 
#1 ·
I was waiting for the high of the day before I got out to ride.

But I think it's gonna start snowing in a few minutes.

fc

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Man, I rode today around 2 in LG...my toes were frozen solid for the climb up. Alomost had to get off and rub some blood into them. The ride down left my brake finger frozen and numb...at the bottom of hill, couldn't open hand and move thumb to down shift. Cold is right!

#30 ·
I had a couple toes go a bit numb at Coe on Friday...but whenever I think it's getting cold out I just look up where my old housemates are and I feel all toasty warm. Here's the forecast where they are - the high on Thursday is -27, but at least it will warm up all the way to -11 on Friday...

Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around -33. Calm wind.
Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near -20. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -34. Calm wind.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near -27. Calm wind.
Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around -29. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.
Friday Sunny, with a high near -11.

(Fairbanks, Alaska)

from NOAA National Weather Service

#41 ·
Well, it was actually pretty nice out there tonight. It was definitely a "winter ride" as the temp when I started out was hovering around 48 degrees but I layered up and went for it. Come to find out, the single track was in pretty good shape. Couple slick spots but for the most part, traction is beginning to firm up just in time for more rain! :D

Attachments

#49 ·
sweet.....last week i rode to work in the mid-high 30's, monday i rode in and it completely dumped rain on me on the way into watsonville. rode ft.ord both days on the weekend. definitely a bit warmer on the coast due to the moisture, i bet. just picked up another karate monkey SS off ebay that's supposed to show up on my porch today. last day of work for three weeks starts today. might hit the fort in the rain tomorrow and test out the new ride.

#43 ·
It was about 43 degree today in Auburn. I did confluence connecter fhdl-culvert... I was freezing dressed in shorts two long sleeve jerseys and a shell. Feet were like frozen blocks by the time I got back to my car. It was nice to get a ride in the sun though.
It looks like the next time I will be able to ride is going to be the day after x-mas and it should be another sunny day :).

#45 ·
Just got back from a night ride from Bicycle Emporium--Manzanita--Stagecoach--Clementine--FuelBreak--Culvert--Confluence--Stagecoach--back to B.E.. It was ~40 at the start and down to ~37 during the ride. Seemed colder downhill (duh). I was dressed well with a tanktop, longsleeve underarmor, armwarmers and jersey then just bibshorts and legwarmers. My toes were cold in-spite of a thick wool sock with winter shoes, but my hands were toasty (even sweaty) thanks to my REI cold weather gloves. Some guys were hating it, though one guy was wearing shorts and seemed to be doing fine. Trails were damp in the usual spots (very beginning of Clementine and a few puddles on culvert) but overall in good shape. Good times all around. Again, cold weather is no excuse not to ride...if you don't have the right gear/clothing, then there is no better time than the present to shoot off a quick letter to Santa. And if you want some face time, I hear he will be at a mall near you.
Happy Holidays!

#47 ·
Warming up...

In Hollister at 7:00 AM it's warmed up to 28 F.

(My roof top weather station showed a low of 28 at 6:00 AM; this location at ground level is usually a little colder---maybe around 26?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.