Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soo cold.

mtbr member
    Pretty Frosty in Tahoe today, you guys still riding bikes??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soo cold.-frostytahoe.jpg  

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Elitest thrill junkie
    Really frosty here. Sometimes it gets out of the negatives. Get out and ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soo cold.-071.jpg  

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

swag ho Administrator
    31 degrees right now at Mt. Umunum and it's only 9pm

fc

mtbr member
    Man, I rode today around 2 in LG...my toes were frozen solid for the climb up. Alomost had to get off and rub some blood into them. The ride down left my brake finger frozen and numb...at the bottom of hill, couldn't open hand and move thumb to down shift. Cold is right!
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had a couple toes go a bit numb at Coe on Friday...but whenever I think it's getting cold out I just look up where my old housemates are and I feel all toasty warm. Here's the forecast where they are - the high on Thursday is -27, but at least it will warm up all the way to -11 on Friday...

Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around -33. Calm wind.
    Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near -20. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
    Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -34. Calm wind.
    Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near -27. Calm wind.
    Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around -29. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.
    Friday Sunny, with a high near -11.

(Fairbanks, Alaska)

from NOAA National Weather Service

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    I had a couple toes go a bit numb at Coe on Friday...but whenever I think it's getting cold out I just look up where my old housemates are and I feel all toasty warm. Here's the forecast where they are - the high on Thursday is -27, but at least it will warm up all the way to -11 on Friday...

Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around -33. Calm wind.
    Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near -20. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
    Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -34. Calm wind.
    Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near -27. Calm wind.
    Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around -29. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.
    Friday Sunny, with a high near -11.

(Fairbanks, Alaska)

from NOAA National Weather Service
    I imagine that "calm wind" feels a lot like a punch in the face with a wet hammer.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member

Ice Puddles

34 deg and ice puddles/frost in El Sereno this am

mtbr member
    Let's face it. We're pussseys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yup. That's why I left Canada . Weather forecast for Edmonton where I grew up. Gotta love a low of -28 F for Christmas.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1355940067
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soo cold.-edmonton.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    26 degrees in Granite Bay at 5:30 this morning when I was backing out of my garage.....good thing I was in my car....burrrrrrr

ask
    user
    It is not that bad out there. I got in 2 short SS rides the past couple mornings. This morning the puddles were frozen and I still had to shed layers on the climbs. My truck thermometer said it was a balmy 37 degrees in the shade when I got back from my ride.

The sun is out and the air is clear... rain is coming. Get out while you can.

mtbr member
    Yesterday I was up on a 20-foot ladder cleaning out my gutter which was full of water. Imagine that water and the wind-chill today?! So glad I got that done yesterday!

mtbr member
    Crunched through icy puddles at China Camp this morning. Even at 10am, there was still ice in the shady spots.

Brrrrr!!!
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

Weird huh?
    This!
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

singletrack bound
    Fu&k it!!!!

I'm going out in about 30 minutes.....
    Sorrel Seeker !!

singletrack bound
    Well, it was actually pretty nice out there tonight. It was definitely a "winter ride" as the temp when I started out was hovering around 48 degrees but I layered up and went for it. Come to find out, the single track was in pretty good shape. Couple slick spots but for the most part, traction is beginning to firm up just in time for more rain!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soo cold.-winter-i.jpg  

Soo cold.-winter-ii.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    6 degrees this morning. Topped out at 32. Great day for a ride!

mtbr member
    It was about 43 degree today in Auburn. I did confluence connecter fhdl-culvert... I was freezing dressed in shorts two long sleeve jerseys and a shell. Feet were like frozen blocks by the time I got back to my car. It was nice to get a ride in the sun though.
    It looks like the next time I will be able to ride is going to be the day after x-mas and it should be another sunny day .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    rode Pleasanton Ridge yesterday and this afternoon...cold both days but less wind today so was warmer

HTFU!
    Just got back from a night ride from Bicycle Emporium--Manzanita--Stagecoach--Clementine--FuelBreak--Culvert--Confluence--Stagecoach--back to B.E.. It was ~40 at the start and down to ~37 during the ride. Seemed colder downhill (duh). I was dressed well with a tanktop, longsleeve underarmor, armwarmers and jersey then just bibshorts and legwarmers. My toes were cold in-spite of a thick wool sock with winter shoes, but my hands were toasty (even sweaty) thanks to my REI cold weather gloves. Some guys were hating it, though one guy was wearing shorts and seemed to be doing fine. Trails were damp in the usual spots (very beginning of Clementine and a few puddles on culvert) but overall in good shape. Good times all around. Again, cold weather is no excuse not to ride...if you don't have the right gear/clothing, then there is no better time than the present to shoot off a quick letter to Santa. And if you want some face time, I hear he will be at a mall near you.
    Happy Holidays!

mtbr member
    Did JMP last night and was average temp of 41! Cold air on face sucks!

Dirt was good though

middle ring single track

Warming up...

In Hollister at 7:00 AM it's warmed up to 28 F.

(My roof top weather station showed a low of 28 at 6:00 AM; this location at ground level is usually a little colder---maybe around 26?)
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Looks like things will warm up Friday at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    Well, it was actually pretty nice out there tonight. It was definitely a "winter ride" as the temp when I started out was hovering around 48 degrees but I layered up and went for it. Come to find out, the single track was in pretty good shape. Couple slick spots but for the most part, traction is beginning to firm up just in time for more rain!
    sweet.....last week i rode to work in the mid-high 30's, monday i rode in and it completely dumped rain on me on the way into watsonville. rode ft.ord both days on the weekend. definitely a bit warmer on the coast due to the moisture, i bet. just picked up another karate monkey SS off ebay that's supposed to show up on my porch today. last day of work for three weeks starts today. might hit the fort in the rain tomorrow and test out the new ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2