Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

some lowlife dirt bag stole my new bike.

i bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180252992229

that off ebay. 2007 GT i-drive 5 with a metel shock.

it was delivered today, at 5:21pm by ups. my neighbor saw it on the porch at 7pm. when my girlfriend got home at 9pm it was gone.

and... i paid the shipper an extra 30 bucks to ship it express with signature confirmation. of course he cheaped out, and sent it ground with no signature confirmation.. hence it being left on my porch unattended to be stolen.

so im pretty pissed, the seller ripped me off, some jerkoffs around my neighborhood ripped me off.. and im out 515 bucks with no bike.

if you happen to see someone selling an 07 idrive 5 with a metel shock, let me know.. it was stolen out of the downtown pleasanton area.

arg. why cant people just be honest/not scumbags?

Being an old pro from the shipping business and having had tons of problems when signatures weren't obtained, I think UPS leaving it on a porch is at fault here as much as the scumbag that was attracted by it. Sorry to hear about your loss, do you have any kind of insurance on your purchase? If there's no signature I'm assuming UPS insurance wasn't purchased...

ps You didn't give UPS some sort of general permission to leave packages unsigned for I hope.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Bummer man. Level vibes to you until you can get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    anyway to go through ebay since the seller didnt include the insurance that you paid him??

mtbr member
    That really sucks. But, as far as you know it was being delivered with a signature confirmation. Seems like the responsibility falls to whoever screwed that up. I would go back to either UPS or the seller. I think PayPal protects you if your item isn't delivered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im talking to ebay right now.

the stupid jackass seller didnt pay the 50 cents for signature confirmation. i did pay for confirmation though, he just ripped me off on that too.

i didnt allow ups to leave it on my porch. they tried to deliver it yesterday and didnt leave it there without a signature, but today they decided it would be a good idea to leave a big expensive package on an unattended porch... i called and asked what the deal was, and they said it was at the delivery drivers descretion to leave it or not, and that no signature confirmation was paid for.. the first guy just used his better judgement.

i had insurance.. ill see what ups says about it, but i dont think it covers theft.

Silence! I kill you!
    When up end up talking to UPS, if they don't want to help you or anything, ask to speak to the manager, and keep going up from there.
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

bike buster
    Sorry about your new ride, man. Some of those delivery guys are complete tools. I bought a pretty damn nice Canon photo printer from Ritz Camera. It was left on my porch... in the Canon retail packaging. I wish I was kidding. Fortunately, I made it home before anyone had the chance to steal it.

No really, I am that slow
    Really, really sucks. Unfortunately, in my experience, the UPS drivers don't give a rat's patootie about the stuff they haul & the UPS bureaucracy will fight tooth & nail to deny claims. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dont want to fight ups.. they did their job, i cant really blame them too much. ive had tons of packages left, but whenever its something big and expensive i pay for the signature.. the seller really just screwed me this time. : /

im pretty bummed.. im out of town for work and was looking forward to a nice new bike when i return

Freetard.
    Sounds like the seller is at fault. Talk to a lawyer, see about your options. You don't actually have to sue the guy, just let him know that that's what you're doing, and then ask for the money back. If you paid for a service that wasn't rendered and cost you a significant amount of money, a lawsuit isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ive emailed the seller and informed him.. ive got a feeling hes not going to accept fault and just give my money back..

i think a lawsuit would be open-and-shut with the amount of documentation i have on it.. its a pretty complete papertrail, but still.. i wanted to come home from my trip to a bike, not a lawyer

im just upset and ranting.. its just so frustrating.

Drunk Poster
    Did you have paypal buyers protection? If so you are in luck. I hope you filed a police report however as paypal will want that as proof that it was indeed stolen along with any communication or proof that you did indeed pay for insured signature delivery. If you have all that then you will get your money back!
    =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

How did you pay?

tomsmoto - my girlfriend has an eBay business for the last 2 years and I would consider her an expert in claims after dealing w/ buyers from every country. I asked her about this and she said: "If he paid via PayPal, he will get all his money back including shipping.". You file a paypal claim and the seller will have to show PayPal an online signature for delivery for any item over $250 (it's required by the seller to get SC). If not, they will deduct the funds from the seller and deposit it in your PP account.

Don't talk about theft though. As much as you know, the bike never arrived. Take your neighbor out of the discussion and only know the facts... UPS said it was delivered but it was not there... and no one at your place signed for it.

My girlfriend said she could provide her advice if needed. But if you paid via money order - she said you will most likely not get any help from the seller (and certainly not eBay/PayPal).

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    wow, awesome man.. thank you! it was absolutely paid for by paypal! i like to make the largest, most specific paper trail when buying stuff, i guess it came in handy.

again, thanks for the advice!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    wow, awesome man.. thank you! it was absolutely paid for by paypal! i like to make the largest, most specific paper trail when buying stuff, i guess it came in handy.

again, thanks for the advice!
    If that doesn't work, what about homeowner's/renter's insurance?

Terrible tale- hope it works out for ya!

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

old rookie
    If Paypal is no help (they suck at that kind of stuff too), you probably paid via credit card to Paypal. Contact your CC company if PayPal won't help and let them know of the situation and that you want the charges reversed. Often they will do that and it will get Paypal's attention.

Only do that if Paypal doesn't play ball. The seller didn't follow the agreed and paid for shipping instructions, he/she is at fault and Paypal as the middle man should accommodate you if you have all the documentation outlining it as you described.

Regardless of whether it was stolen from your porch, the proper shipping would have eliminated that, so if it comes out or has been mentioned, don't deny it.
    ... so then I said "with a squirrel!" get it now?

mtbr member
    If all else fails.....time to jack the first guy you find with a green GT i-drive.

Sucks man!
    Tearing it up with...

02' Cannondale F800
    11' Cannondale CAAD10
    05' Haro BMX

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I feel for ya. Good luck getting some resolution.
    I bought a Titanium frame off ebay that was supposed to be sig confirmed. I checked tracking and noticed the status was "Delivered". I hightailed it outta work and hauled ass home and there it was just sitting on the front porch waiting to be ripped off. The seller did the same thing your guy did.

Fedex used to have an entry in their database that indicated a particular delivery address was okay to deliver to without signature even when normally required. I found out that some driver designated my address as such without my involvement at all and it was a pain to get them to deal with that (I just generally avoid Fedex as a result). UPS' solution to have the shipper pay more for a secure delivery is asinine. All about keeping the delivery truck on schedule for stats...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I had my $4000+ Power Mac delivered to my Neighbor's house by Fed Ex?!? Luckily they picked the right neighbor. Had it been a couple other houses, I would have never seen it. The neighbor who held it for me said the guy was just going to leave it on the porch if he couldn't find anybody. The box was pretty big with a large picture of a very expensive looking computer on the side of it. Unbelievable.

Uncle
    You will not be liable for this. PayPal will cover it eventually if not right away. The seller that skipped the confirmation is a tool for doing so, and I doubt he'll end up paying PayPal for it. Probably a worth a stain on his eBay seller's scorecard though.

Good luck and speedy $$ recovery.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, contact paypal. DON'T say anything about a theft. Just say it never arrived (I hope you didn't tell the seller that it was stolen). Anyway, I'm sure you'll get your $$ back. The seller is at fault for not providing the sig. conf. The seller may get their $$ back as well if they insured it (I'm sure they did, right?).

If all else fails, file a claim with your CC company. If you do so, paypal will most-likely cancel your account as well as the seller's account. But you can always get another.

hmmmm
    this is the reason I get my bike stuff delivered to my work address. I've had UPS, Fedex, DHL and usps leave sig conf packages on my door step too many times to risk it with 100$+ packages.

hopefully PayPal will help you out.... don't see why they wouldnt in this case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the sellers being reasonable and acting like an adult.. i think he honestly messed up, hes returning my money and im helping him file a claim with ups, as it was insured.

i didnt really want to throw the guy to the wolves with paypal and get him all shut down. it was his fault, but i kinda think he honestly made a mistake with shipping.. but it was his mistake to pay for, not mine. hes shooting me over my money and im dropping all the paypal cases.

thanks for the advice everyone, some of it was very helpful in resolving the whole thing.. im still keeping an eye out for anyone selling the frame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast