mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Solo Overnighter around Auburn - Foresthill?

Hi, looking to getaway on an overnight ride in the Auburn area. Just need to get away from people for a weekend. Sort of lone wolf like Matt Hunter in the Specialized video - ever seen it? Going to ride the All-Mountain rig, bring a small pack with a silk tarp as cover, bivy, and water filter. Any good routes and thoughts on where to lay camp for a night? Anyone done this in the area? Thanks in advance for advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like a great idea. If anyone knows of a good overnight trip 20-30 miles in, it sounds like it'd be awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Over the Hill
    To me the attraction of bike packing is to not have a destination or plan. You are self contained and can stop anytime you want. If I was looking around that area I would head up the hill a little further into the Grouse Ridge area.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    If I was looking around that area I would head up the hill a little further into the Grouse Ridge area.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Ride out to Glacier Lake or Five Lakes Basin from Carr/Feeley at the end of FR17.

And bring lots of bug spray if you're going soon because I'm sure the mosquitoes are nuts right now. I backpacked out there in June a few years ago and they were thick. With the early spring, they may have peaked already, but I wouldn't count on it.

Medium?
    Sending a PM...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Going from Auburn up to Five Lakes Basin could be good. Lots of water along the way too for drinking. I have a feeling you are correct about the mosquitos.

Dropshot Champ!
    does anyone know what that 2 story house is at the very bottom of the fireroad, east of ponderosa mckeon / ruckachucky, if you don't hop on WST?

It looks forest service / parks-like, but it's a fairly random spot. I can upload a picture later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    wow...I ride through there semi-frequently and have never noticed. I must need my eyes checked.

Dropshot Champ!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Huh, maybe they're doing camp attendant down there now? Too low for a look out.

Maybe Sean Allen knows.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's a composting toilet for the rafters, not an ideal place to spend the night
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Biker View Post
    Going from Auburn up to Five Lakes Basin could be good. Lots of water along the way too for drinking. I have a feeling you are correct about the mosquitos.
    I think you're thinking of the other Five Lakes Basin--the one in Granite Chief (i.e. wilderness...). Right? I can see riding up to there from Auburn.

I was talking about the one north of Black Buttes in the Grouse Ridge Non-Moto Area.

Grouse Ridge area Carr Lake to Five Lakes Basin

I can't see how you'd ride there from Auburn without spending the vast majority of your time on pavement.

Same name, different places, both awesome.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    That's a composting toilet for the rafters, not an ideal place to spend the night
    thank you, I've been wondering for awhile. I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and it scared the crap outta me. It was a guy up in the tree with a camera near that building! I guess he was taking action shots for one of the whitewater rafting places, but to be out there and up in the tree...wasn't ready for that, haha.

were you riding with the wife towards wst on friday? I wasn't sure if that was you two, just noticed 29er and scalpel, so figured it was. If so, hi