CEB
    The beauty surrounds

SoCal coming to ride NorCal Mendo (again)

Last summer I was lucky enough to ride the JSDF. The trails and terrain are VERY different than the riding here in San Diego.

This post is to find more info on trails I should consider riding on my next trip Sept 23-30. Staying in near MacKerricher State Marine Conservation Area. It's five riders, all experienced and capable.

We will hit the known trails (Ride thru, Manley, etc etc.), but looking for some more and would really like it if any locals would like to show us the way to the fine ST to be found anywhere from the town of Mendocino north to where the highway heads inland.

Thank you in advance for any contribution you can make.
    Last edited by CEB; 07-10-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Get ahold of Rooharris, or put Mendo in your title and he should pop in.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Get ahold of Rooharris, or put Mendo in your title and he should pop in.
    Thank you!!

Chip

mtbr member

Riding in JDSF

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Last summer I was lucky enough to ride the JSDF. The trails and terrain are VERY different than the riding here in San Diego.

This post is to find more info on trails I should consider riding on my next trip Sept 23-30. Staying in near MacKerricher State Marine Conservation Area. It's five riders, all experienced and capable.

We will hit the known trails (Ride thru, Manley, etc etc.), but looking for some more and would really like it if any locals would like to show us the way to the fine ST to be found anywhere from the town of Mendocino north to where the highway heads inland.

Chip,

Unfortunately, I will be in Salt Lake at the time you will be coming here. Otherwise, I would love to ride with your group for a day.

I suggest you get a copy of the guidebook "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond!". In it you find all the riding you could possibly do gauged to your riding abilities. There are no trail signs in the JDSF and limited ones in State parks-primarily the Mendocino Woodlands (some of the best trails in Nor-Cal!).

We have over 125 miles of trails to explore on the Mendocino Coast. The guidebook is the only treatise for accurate supported riding in the JDSF (Jackson Demonstration State Forest) and state parks here. It explores everything from Beginner's to very Advanced riding.

The JDSF is the largest state forest in California at 49,000+ acres and can be daunting to navigate due to the lack of signage and many dead end trails. There is an overview map that can purchase at Catch-A-Canoe in Mendocino which is GPS accurate. All the other maps (2) are guesstimates at best. I contributed many tracks to this wonderful topographic aerial map at Catch-a-Canoe. With the guidebook and a good cyclometer you should be able to navigate the plethora of trails here. GPS "fitness" devices like Garmin tend to lose signals up to 20% of the time due to the dense redwood tree coverage. iPhones have fairly accurate GPS reception depending on your provider. The guidebook was mapped over a period of 4 years using a Garmin 62STC "Navigational" device which never lost a signal: accuracy within 1/10 of a mile.

Always remember: there is a lot of climbing here as well as some of the best downhill single track descents for your efforts in all of Northern CA. It only makes the IPA taste better!

Also, if you're interested, you and your friend are invited to join our group ride on Tuesday or Friday at 10AM. Trailhead will be determined a day or two beforehand. Most of us are in our 60's & 70's and ride for 3 to 4 hours at a time a moderate pace, no drop. Distances vary between 15 and 20 miles w/ 2,000' to 3,000' of elevation gain.

I am set up to sell copies of the book through my PayPal account (rooharris1946@gmail.com) for $20 (includes S&H). This would give you time to study some rides within it. Page 32 is a great locals' ride favorite called the Double Loop Redux.

Hopefully, this has been helpful.

Best,
    Roo

BTW: There is a large timber harvest going on in the Jackson which will have many of the trails off Rd 409 closed until winter. Sweet Pea, our newest trail (4.9 miles long), maybe opened sooner as it is not directly impacted by this large scales harvest. Here is one area map w/ newest closures:
    SoCal coming to ride NorCal Mendo (again)-closedrd-409area2.jpg
    Last edited by RooHarris; 07-11-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Newer closure map

mtbr member

Newest trail closure map

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post

Chip,
    Here is the newest closure map.

SoCal coming to ride NorCal Mendo (again)-closedrd-409area2.jpg

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Chip,
    Here is the newest closure map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closedRd 409area2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	1207626
    Thanks... we'll ride "around" and far from the chainsaws I hope.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also, if you're interested, you and your friend are invited to join our group ride on Tuesday or Friday at 10AM. Trailhead will be determined a day or two beforehand. Most of us are in our 60's & 70's and ride for 3 to 4 hours at a time a moderate pace, no drop. Distances vary between 15 and 20 miles w/ 2,000' to 3,000' of elevation gain.
    Do you still do a slower ride on Sundays?
    I am set up to sell copies of the book through my PayPal account (rooharris1946@gmail.com) for $20 (includes S&H).
    Paypal sent.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Tuesday AND Friday.... we'll ride with the group! Thank you very much...

mtbr member

Group rides

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Do you still do a slower ride on Sundays?

Paypal sent.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    If you mean shorter ride, you could always break off early.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Just back from five straight days of riding in Mendo. Some thoughts:

Forest History trail is better than ever and I enjoyed it even more than Manley Gulch. I forgot they had removed the stairs. Itís a lot twister and swoopier (and steeper) than Manley Gulch.

EZ Out is awesome. Rode it three times this trip.

Confusion/Gas Cap/Endo/OhNo/Boiler are classic must-do-multiple times.

The new Sweet Pea trail (assuming it is open) is a terrific way to climb out of the Caspar Creek drainage if you want to head towards Forest History/Manley Gulch after descending EZN or EZOut. Itís much longer than taking the fire road back up but five times as fun.

You forgot to mention Gunslinger.

Widow Maker is a sick trail, a bit tricky to find, but is screwed up by a landslide.

Since the Parallel Action area trails are closed I explored the Jiroís Playground/Gas Tank side this time. Itís great and a terrific place to explore. I rode in circles several times in different directions without quite realizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post

Forest History trail is better than ever and I enjoyed it even more than Manley Gulch. I forgot they had removed the stairs. Itís a lot twister and swoopier (and steeper) than Manley Gulch.

The new Sweet Pea trail (assuming it is open) is a terrific way to climb out of the Caspar Creek drainage if you want to head towards Forest History/Manley Gulch after descending EZN or EZOut. Itís much longer than taking the fire road back up but five times as fun.

Widow Maker is a sick trail, a bit tricky to find, but is screwed up by a landslide.

Since the Parallel Action area trails are closed I explored the Jiroís Playground/Gas Tank side this time. Itís great and a terrific place to explore. I rode in circles several times in different directions without quite realizing it.

Thank you VERY much for that info. Ride on~!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post

Glad you found the trails to your satisfaction. There has been a ton of trail work going on this spring and early summer including the Nor-Cal high school skill's camp kids and coaches pitching in to trim back all the French broom on the top section of Sweet Pea. Thank you Vanessa, Coco, and Doug!

This last Saturday trail day saw Nick, Jack and I trimming up Marsh Creek, Ripper, Eagle's Roost, Jeep, Steam Donkey and Big Tree. Better sight lines with brushed back tan oak and huckleberry over growth. Makes cruising a lot more enjoyable now. Hopefully, Sweet Pea opens back up soon. You're right about using it to climb out of Caspar creek to Rd 408. An enjoyable 4.9 mile climb!
    Last edited by RooHarris; 07-16-2018 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Chip,

Always remember: there is a lot of climbing here as well as some of the best downhill single track descents for your efforts in all of Northern CA. It only makes the IPA taste better!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closedRd 409area2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	1207625
    So I did a 27 mile loop on Sunday for my first time visiting the area to ride. Based on your description of the place I was expecting some mtb mecca of awesomeness. What I found was lots of fireroad and what I would call green rated dh trails that we're smooth and not techical at all, and therefore didn't last very long for how long the climbs took. I found nothing that I would rate anywhere near the best dh runs in NorCal.

What dh trails do you think are "very technical" and or the best in NorCal for next time im in the area? Not a knock on the area. I might have just been looking in the wrong places?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    So I did a 27 mile loop on Sunday for my first time visiting the area to ride. Based on your description of the place I was expecting some mtb mecca of awesomeness. What I found was lots of fireroad and what I would call green rated dh trails that we're smooth and not techical at all, and therefore didn't last very long for how long the climbs took. I found nothing that I would rate anywhere near the best dh runs in NorCal.

What dh trails do you think are "very technical" and or the best in NorCal for next time im in the area? Not a knock on the area. I might have just been looking in the wrong places?
    I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your trip here. And, disappointment for the whole scene. If I remember correctly from past posts, I felt we had some of the best XC trails in Nor Cal and I still do.

I agree with you, if you are a downhiller in need of epic downhill oriented trails then this is not the place for you to ride. The JDSF is true cross country style of riding scented with California Enduro series proven trails. Our best downhill trails are: Manly, Stairs, Big Tree, and Motorcycle (Pro Cal Enduro series guys were hitting 42mph on it). Did you find Endo/ONo!/Boiler trail? How about EZOut, EZN?

May I ask you what you had for trail referencing? Even if you had the Trailforks app you still can lose up to 15% signals from tree density. What back up hard copy were you using? Fire roads should have been minimal with all the single track paralleling these roads. I empathize with you on the Rd 409 area. That timber harvest has been very hard on the local psyche. But, this too shall pass...

Any way, sorry you felt disappointment. Come back again and join one of our group rides. Bring a shorter travel bike as well. Patterson's for a few brews afterwards?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your trip here. And, disappointment for the whole scene. If I remember correctly from past posts, I felt we had some of the best XC trails in Nor Cal and I still do.

I agree with you, if you are a downhiller in need of epic downhill oriented trails then this is not the place for you to ride. The JDSF is true cross country style of riding scented with California Enduro series proven trails. Our best downhill trails are: Manly, Stairs, Big Tree, and Motorcycle (Pro Cal Enduro series guys were hitting 42mph on it). Did you find Endo/ONo!/Boiler trail? How about EZOut, EZN?

May I ask you what you had for trail referencing? Even if you had the Trailforks app you still can lose up to 15% signals from tree density. What back up hard copy were you using? Fire roads should have been minimal with all the single track paralleling these roads. I empathize with you on the Rd 409 area. That timber harvest has been very hard on the local psyche. But, this too shall pass...

Any way, sorry you felt disappointment. Come back again and join one of our group rides. Bring a shorter travel bike as well. Patterson's for a few brews afterwards?
    I just copied a gps from one of the CES Wildwood enduros. I was on a hardtail. Like I said, it was fun and a good time. I was just expecting more of a mellow UC santa Cruz kinda day. And I was too hungover, so the gravel road climbs were kinda meh and a mood killer. Lol