Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Mods get paid pretty well, eh?
    I'm buying it with my signing bonus! Not.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I bought this last week from Greenline Cycles in Chico, and picked it up/assembled it this weekend.

It's a Sun RevMX cruiser, styled after the Repack bikes. One speed, coaster brake (with tab on the front fork for a disc). 27.5" wheels with double-wall rims. Springer seat with rivets. Shitty plastic pedals, 1/2" spindles. My buddy gave me a set of alu pedals (rebuildable) with some nice pins that helped a lot. Thanks, Nick!

Rides pretty nice, but I'm not crazy about the seat. It'll be good to fart around on. $300. Sweeeeeeet.

Attachment 1187068

More info:

Classic klunker high-tensile steel frame

Single-speed drivetrain

KT coaster brake

One-piece chromoly crank

27.5" double wall alloy rims with stainless steel spokes

27.5" x 2.40" knobby tires

Moto-cruiser steel handlebar

Retro coil spring rivet saddle

Removable plastic chain guard

Steel kickstand

Revmx | Bike Categories | Sun Bicycles

Super rad. I always loved the old Merlin Newsboy frames. Obviously, this is a different use case but a similar aesthetic vibe.

mtbr member
    I'm debating on the Wreckoning and a YT (IF I can get one)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke View Post
    Have you thought about a SC HTLT or Nomad?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I may get one of these, I need a beat around Palo Alto bike.
    I thought everyone in Palo used the google bikes as beat arounds? :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Picked this 2017 Spark 930 up last week. Put a new saddle, XT M8000 brakes and a Specialized fastrack tire on the back. Just need to get some dirt under the tires!So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-scott-spark-2017.jpg
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio gravel bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_1553.jpg

My new Spot Mayhem. Bike is stupid fast.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Make sure you think about your normal terrain and demo demo demo. I have a ‘16 Bronson and find it a bit dull in Annadel, it really wants some speed and to be pushed.

On the flip side I rode UC a week ago and the bike just sung there.

I really think I’d benefit from a short travel bike like a yeti 4.5 or a tall boy for Annadel
    I hear ya...Anadell is pretty tame, my current bike is fine there. I wouldn’t mind a little more Cush, here and there. I still haven’t found a 29er that feels good yet...but, I haven’t been doing to many demo’s lately...probably stick with a 130-150mm 27.5 rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wish I could figure out quickly if a bike will work well for me. Takes me about two weeks unless it is a really bad ride but that is rare. Mostly I buy before I know for sure. Have had no regrets so far. But I have a new one coming anyday and I have never ridden one. Never done that before. We shall see soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdexpress View Post
    I wish I could figure out quickly if a bike will work well for me. Takes me about two weeks unless it is a really bad ride but that is rare. Mostly I buy before I know for sure. Have had no regrets so far. But I have a new one coming anyday and I have never ridden one. Never done that before. We shall see soon.
    When I bought my Commencal I had never even seen one in person before.

mtbr member
    My Yeti sb6c just gained a sibling today...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ended up with the new sc blur. but I still might sell it and get a sniper

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_20180328_161144.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke View Post
    Which YT are you looking for? I just ordered a Knolly Fugitive LT frame, which means I'll be parting ways with my YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race. I really like the YT, but I can only have one bike (at least until my garage is finished early next year).
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I'm looking really hard at a Kona Honzo (120 slackish hardtail) to round out the quiver. Anybody sat on one?
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Any Guerrilla Gravity folks? That's an intriguing brand I've never tried. What's the scoop.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Buying myself and son both new Trek Fuel Ex 7, 29"ers. Tired of looking at used bikes that sell for the same price with outdated technology.

The only reason I am waiting is I am taking the family on a trip to Africa this summer, so don't want to use any funds till after we get back

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-7-29/p/21522/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I'm looking really hard at a Kona Honzo (120 slackish hardtail) to round out the quiver. Anybody sat on one?
    I'm Honzo-curious as well Kona has a free demo day at Annadel on April 8 that I'd like to check out. Their site says they'll have the Honzo AL/DL in all sizes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just picked up a carbon in trail and am in love with it, so much fun to ride!So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180306_215512.jpg

Tried to attach better pics but the uploader keeps failing. Yeah, I love this thing. If all goes well, next year I splurge on a new FS.

mtbr member
    I had a Big Honzo DL. I loved the geo, but wasn't a fan of the plus tires after a while.. 29er would be the way to go IMO. I ended up selling the bike along with my Hightower to fund a new FS trail bike. I still have a rigid XC hardtail that's better suited for the longer mixed terrain rides.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I just ordered a GG Shred Dog (27.5) without having ridden one. This is my first new bike since 1990 (I have two modern used bikes). I test rode a bunch of competing bikes with somewhat similar geometry/specs and feel reasonably confident it will be a great bike for me. I wasn't able to meet up with one of their brand ambassadors for a test ride but he answered a bunch of questions for me (as well as the GG staff). I loved the ability to customize just about everything, so I think I am getting pretty much the bike I want and hopefully won't have to remove and sell anything first thing. They also give a $50 discount for working with a brand ambassador and I got another $100 off due to a website issue--Build 1 cost ended up $100 less for the identical build using their Race build. That paid for the shipping cost. Of course, you pay a bit more for made in America and great customer service (so I hear). The only drawback so far for me is there is a 4 - 5 week wait on my bike. I will report back after I get it and get some miles on it.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Whitewater and Joe- Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm looking at the carbon Trail "normal" 29er version.

mtbr member
    Whitewater and Joe- Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm looking at the carbon Trail "normal" 29er version.
    Doug, The Canfield EPO is worth a look too, I love mine. I have a feeling the 2019 is going to be out anytime.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ It's on my short list, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I hear ya...Anadell is pretty tame, my current bike is fine there. I wouldn’t mind a little more Cush, here and there. I still haven’t found a 29er that feels good yet...but, I haven’t been doing to many demo’s lately...probably stick with a 130-150mm 27.5 rig.
    I strongly suspect an updated Bronson is coming out as we’re at about three years since revision. A Bronson with a n4 linkage would be fun.

I think I’m going to wait till fallish to see what’s coming out before I decide on adding a trail bike or replacing the Bronson (been eyeing a yeti 5.5)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180328_161144.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1190094
    That’s a beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post

Name:	IMG_20180328_161144.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1190094
    nice!

Throw a Works angle headset on there!?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I ordered a GG The Smash that I’m excited for, waiting 3-4 more weeks. They were great to deal with and I’m pretty confident of it working out for me despite never throwing a leg over one. Hope that’s true. Those Honzos look good. My other bike is a rigid 27.5+ Kona Unit single speed that I love but I think I’d also have a lot of fun on a SS Honzo with front suspension. I jumped over that niche though and am going to try having the Unit and 140/140 The Smash as my 2 bike quiver.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just ordered a remedy 9.8. Gonna try 27.5 tires.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post
    nice!

Throw a Works angle headset on there!?
    integrated headset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Any Guerrilla Gravity folks? That's an intriguing brand I've never tried. What's the scoop.
    I picked up a long stroked trail pistol at the beginning of the year. Best bike I've ever owned and best company I've ever dealt with.

I'm currently running it with a RockShox super deluxe coil and a 150 lyrik. This bike flat out hauls ass on the steep and rough while being tame enough to put in big xc'ish days. It'll be an absolute rocket at downieville.

FC, if you ever want to throw a leg over my medium let me know. I'd be happy to give you a tour of the North Bay on it.

IMG_5469
    google picture sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojack View Post
    I just ordered a GG Shred Dog (27.5) without having ridden one. This is my first new bike since 1990 (I have two modern used bikes). I test rode a bunch of competing bikes with somewhat similar geometry/specs and feel reasonably confident it will be a great bike for me. I wasn't able to meet up with one of their brand ambassadors for a test ride but he answered a bunch of questions for me (as well as the GG staff). I loved the ability to customize just about everything, so I think I am getting pretty much the bike I want and hopefully won't have to remove and sell anything first thing. They also give a $50 discount for working with a brand ambassador and I got another $100 off due to a website issue--Build 1 cost ended up $100 less for the identical build using their Race build. That paid for the shipping cost. Of course, you pay a bit more for made in America and great customer service (so I hear). The only drawback so far for me is there is a 4 - 5 week wait on my bike. I will report back after I get it and get some miles on it.
    It's worth the wait! You absolutely won't be disappointed.

Being able to customize the entire build was a huge plus for me. I always end up replacing a bunch of parts on any complete bike I buy, not so with the GG as I was able to just order it with all of the parts I wanted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ill jump in...

I am for sure getting a new steed in the next few months. I plan to demo as much as possible. Something I have never done, and I figure at these prices, I better make sure its "the one".

My current list:
    SC Hightower LT, or OG Hightower
    Transition Sentinel or Scout
    Ibis Mojo HD4 or Ripmo
    Trek Slash
    Evil Following
    YT Jeffsy

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrmedic510 View Post
    Ill jump in...

I am for sure getting a new steed in the next few months. I plan to demo as much as possible. Something I have never done, and I figure at these prices, I better make sure its "the one".

My current list:
    Ibis Mojo HD4 or Ripmo
    Trek Slash
    Evil Following
    YT Jeffsy
    Don't worry, once you find 'the one,' the 'other one' will come out a few months later! And you can start all over again!

mtbr member
    Ill jump in...

My current list:
    Ibis Mojo HD4 or Ripmo
    Trek Slash
    Evil Following
    YT Jeffsy
    trailhead cyclery demo event may 4-6th at santa theresa, transition and ibis will be there.

I strongly suspect an updated Bronson is coming out as we’re at about three years since revision. A Bronson with a n4 linkage would be fun.

I think I’m going to wait till fallish to see what’s coming out before I decide on adding a trail bike or replacing the Bronson (been eyeing a yeti 5.5)
    I've heard (from reliable sources) that it won't be too crazy of an update, possibly a bit more travel, metric shock sizing, and updated (Stiffer) rear triangle. Stiffness alone would be worth waiting for.

NedwannaB
    I'm sure that thing really shreds the alternate lines of Burdell and the Ridge too!👍😎

NedwannaB
    Sell new Blur then get the Intense? Pro/ep deals or what...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    I've heard (from reliable sources) that it won't be too crazy of an update, possibly a bit more travel, metric shock sizing, and updated (Stiffer) rear triangle. Stiffness alone would be worth waiting for.
    The Bronson doesn't need more travel, it's right in it's niche at 150mm and it's only 20mm shorter than the Nomad. Giving it more travel would just push it closer to be redundant.

A more linear lower linkage like the N4's, or updated geo changes (slacker, higher seat tube angle etc) could make a dramatic difference to the bike.

They have good separation right now with 5010 (Trail - 130mm), Bronson (Trail/AM - 150mm) and Nomad (Am/Endurbro - 170mm) it would be silly for them to push any of them closer to another unless they tend to sunset the model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    trailhead cyclery demo event may 4-6th at santa theresa, transition and ibis will be there.
    Thats my plan! I think I am going on Friday, but they are only there for 4 hours (12-4). So I might have to do Sunday too. But I hope I can ride the Sentinel, Ripmo and The HD4 on Friday. I can always demo an HD4 from Rhythm in Oakland. So the ones i really want to try are the Ripmo and the Sentinel.

mtbr member
    The Bronson doesn't need more travel, it's right in it's niche at 150mm and it's only 20mm shorter than the Nomad. Giving it more travel would just push it closer to be redundant.

A more linear lower linkage like the N4's, or updated geo changes (slacker, higher seat tube angle etc) could make a dramatic difference to the bike.

They have good separation right now with 5010 (Trail - 130mm), Bronson (Trail/AM - 150mm) and Nomad (Am/Endurbro - 170mm) it would be silly for them to push any of them closer to another unless they tend to sunset the model.
    Ok man i'm just saying what i've heard from industry types.

Thats my plan! I think I am going on Friday, but they are only there for 4 hours (12-4). So I might have to do Sunday too. But I hope I can ride the Sentinel, Ripmo and The HD4 on Friday. I can always demo an HD4 from Rhythm in Oakland. So the ones i really want to try are the Ripmo and the Sentinel.
    Careful, i tried the sentinel at santa theresa and hated it, despite all the rave reviews. I think that the trails there aren't really suited to what it's really made for, which is the steep, fun stuff you're mostly going to find in santa cruz. HD4 was really fun there because of the larger tires, so i imagine the ripmo will be awesome if they put the 2.6s on there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Careful, i tried the sentinel at santa theresa and hated it, despite all the rave reviews. I think that the trails there aren't really suited to what it's really made for, which is the steep, fun stuff you're mostly going to find in santa cruz. HD4 was really fun there because of the larger tires, so i imagine the ripmo will be awesome if they put the 2.6s on there too.
    Really? That kinda sucks. I think I secretly really want to love the Sentinel.

I love the '17 Hightower with the dark frame and the orange/teal highlights. Every time I see one I want to buy it. But I want to try a HTLT first.

Coming off a 10 year old Giant Trance X2, anything will be an upgrade. I rode Joaquin Miller today. First ride after riding the Pivot Swithblade, and I gotta say, I no longer care to ride my bike haha.

Not sure what you mean about big wheels with the HD4. I think its just standard 27.5" right? Not 27.5+. I know its not 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My shortlist is:

Stumpy
    Bronson
    Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Really? That kinda sucks. I think I secretly really want to love the Sentinel.

I love the '17 Hightower with the dark frame and the orange/teal highlights. Every time I see one I want to buy it. But I want to try a HTLT first.

Coming off a 10 year old Giant Trance X2, anything will be an upgrade. I rode Joaquin Miller today. First ride after riding the Pivot Swithblade, and I gotta say, I no longer care to ride my bike haha.

Not sure what you mean about big wheels with the HD4. I think its just standard 27.5" right? Not 27.5+. I know its not 29
    Hahaha i know how that feels. tried an XL hightower, and going back to my L bronson felt all kinds of wrong. Very happy with my black/teal hightower now.
    I just had to move my HTLT demo tomorrow (last day to go to tahoe), so theres an XL spot open tomorrow if you're that size.

Sorry, big TIRES on the HD4. they stock the demo bikes with 2.6"-2.8" tires, so on the rocky trails of santa theresa its really nice. I think that was another reason i wasn't a fan of the sentinel, was the stock tires. I also really wanted to love it, but i guess it really does depend where you try it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'm sure that thing really shreds the alternate lines of Burdell and the Ridge too!
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, IT SURE DOES!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I picked up my XXL HTLT xe build last Tuesday. I've put about 80 miles on it so far. Love this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_2744.jpg  

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_2721.jpg  

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_2736.jpg  

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_2740.jpg  

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, IT SURE DOES!

Specifically 😎👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I want a new 140-150mm travel, 27.5, aggressive riding. Something nimble that can soak up bumps of all sizes. I'm ready to buy, but struggling with not being able to demo most of them, without driving 100's of miles.

I've been considering these and they're all priced extremely well right now. If any of you own one I'd love some feedback.

Intense Tracer
    Intense Recluse
    (I own a Spider 29c, owned an older 2001 Tracer, fanboy)

Canyon Spectral
    YT Jeffsy
    Yeti SB6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    I want a new 140-150mm travel, 27.5, aggressive riding. Something nimble that can soak up bumps of all sizes. I'm ready to buy, but struggling with not being able to demo most of them, without driving 100's of miles.

I've been considering these and they're all priced extremely well right now. If any of you own one I'd love some feedback.

Intense Tracer
    Intense Recluse
    (I own a Spider 29c, owned an older 2001 Tracer, fanboy)

Canyon Spectral
    YT Jeffsy
    Yeti SB6
    Bronson belongs on that list

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Bronson belongs on that list
    Everyone has one. I know its a great rig.

mtbr member
    I had a 2015. I would have kept it if I didn't move to a place with less bike storage. Very fun bike on the descents and undulating terrain. Did very well at campus and Demo. Meh on the climbs. One thing I always wanted to change on mine was the fork. Maybe a 140 Pike instead of the Recon that came with it. Very very fun. I really regret selling it.

mtbr member
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-9b25a010-4c78-4bb8-bf10-2b8eceaaec30.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-e4dd4cca-cd63-4122-ae27-d78de59d8372.jpgGot a Jeffsy 27, so far a handful of local hot laps - its a fun bike. Climbs nice, likes to get flung in the air, descends as expected, quite well. I’m still trying to figure out Rockshox suspension. Got sag set for me but might want to mess with volume spacers on the shock. I like it - really want to take it on some longer all day routes to put it through the ringer.

I’ll be at Waterdog
    Good looking Jeffsy Dchester. Deftones fan too, huh? Nice.
    “We bring Saturdays” ~ Josh Homme

fc
    Here's the Capro Pro... 180mm of travel. 30.2 lbs without pedals.

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_6558.jpg

It's so out there that I'm not really ready yet, nor is the terrain. Need a 10 mile rock descent.

I did climb 2500 feet with it yesterday. It was fine.
    IPA will save America

I’ll be at Waterdog
    Very nice looking frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bromy View Post
    Good looking Jeffsy Dchester. Deftones fan too, huh? Nice.
    I like it - and yes i even have personalized Deftones plates lol.

Trail Gnome
    If I want to ride again this year, I’ll be getting a new frame/bike...last ride on the 5010 today

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking to buy a bike this year. Sort of all over the place in what I want to get. I have a 14 year old hardtail and 12 year old VP-free. Writing out those numbers makes it seem like biking is less important to me then it is....

I used to spend almost every other weekend in Tahoe on my VP-Free at Northstar or shuttling.

Looking for a bike that is better suited to the trails around here (I have an 18 month old now and my time is a little more limited)

The new geometry and tire sizing is pretty much new to me. Trying to figure out what style of bike I want for this area.

Demoed a Trek Stache for a few days at Camp Tamarancho and Rockville and it handled everything excellently. I started to feel pretty beat up my the end on both days though. My climbing style is basically hang out in the easiest gear and sit and spin as I try not to die. The Stache worked well with that style. Standing using made the back wheel just spin out.

Going to demo a SC tallboy next. I am hoping it will feel a little faster on the uphills and it will give me that FS feel I am so familiar with. Northbay riding basically feels like all uphill to me and I want a bike that can do that well.

I don't know any of the "unsanctioned" trails around here (Northbay within 45 minutes to an hour of SF) and am unsure if they are worth something like a Hightower.

mtbr member
    Hightowers are very popular around the north bay. It is a surprise if I don't at least see a few on every ride.

Hella Olde
    Dude, are you the same Damn True from Mudsluts/MTBR in the early 2000's? I seem to recall your signature quote was 'pride goeth before a fall' or something to that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
    My shortlist is:

Stumpy
    Bronson
    Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Trail Pistol is pretty high on my imaginary list, where do you normally ride?

Hightowers are very popular around the north bay. It is a surprise if I don't at least see a few on every ride.

I am concerned about being over biked and making the area too easy. Although chances are I will end up demoing a Hightower too.
    Last edited by cassieno; 05-03-2018 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's mine. Its a 2017 Rocky Slayer custom build. Second hand but new to me and less than half new price with that build spec.

I love to ride technical steep rocky rooty mountain tracks. But at the same time the bike needed to be by daily ride aswell. I pondered for many months on what the ideal travel would be for me.

For many years i thought 140/160 was the ticket. My daily ride was a fully worked Santacruz Blur ltc (yep im old school). It is awesome for most stuff but on the steep tech it became white knuckle type riding just holding on for grim death... Dont get me wrong i still loved it.

Anyway with the way these new bikes pedal i came to the conclusion that 160/170 would be the business. The bike that popped up that filled the big hitting role but still pedalled up hill was the Slayer.

I've had the slayer for a few weeks now and tuned the suspension to my liking, including resetting the fox 36 to 180mm. Man this bike is just crazy. It pedals uphill real good for its travel. Good enough for me to keep up with my super fit buddy on his fully rigid 29er single speed on the uphills for a while!

Then when I point it down, oh yeah thats the freaken business, its just insane. Stuff that was white knuckle riding before has become super fun!
    I'm super stoked. its way better uphill that i expected and its really light for a 165/180 travel bike at 13.1kg.

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_20180422_130350.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    The Trail Pistol is pretty high on my imaginary list, where do you normally ride?

I am concerned about being over biked and making the area too easy. Although chances our I will end up demoing a Hightower too.
    I ride all of the good stuff in the north bay with the occasional trip to Santa Cruz, downieville, and Tahoe. The trail pistol is the best bike I've owned. Where are you located? My trail pistol is a medium, I'd be more than happy to meet up for a ride and let you throw a leg over it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Richmond - I am 5'11" and the medium seems to be the most recommended size for my height.

I am renting a Tallboy on Sunday and was planning on biking at Rockville 5/6. If you are planning on riding this weekend I could meet up with you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I am currently waiting on delivery of my Blue Ibis Ripmo. Nx build with all factory suspension and carbon hoops and bars. I figured I save a few dollars on drive train and replace with eagle at a later date. Hopefully I am not to overbiked for the bay area, I live in the east bay. I demoed the Ripmo at tamarancho which was a blast and sold me on buying one. I always have my 2018 SC Chameleon for the tamer trails in the area. Any one else put an order in on a Ripmo in the area?

mtbr member
    Pivot Mach 6 carbon. XT/XTR build. Super stoked.

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205235.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205252.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205304.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205311.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205354.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_205336.jpg

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-20180418_201008.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Pivot Mach 6 carbon. XT/XTR build. Super stoked.

Well done tall dude.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevdog88 View Post
    I am currently waiting on delivery of my Blue Ibis Ripmo. Nx build with all factory suspension and carbon hoops and bars. I figured I save a few dollars on drive train and replace with eagle at a later date. Hopefully I am not to overbiked for the bay area, I live in the east bay. I demoed the Ripmo at tamarancho which was a blast and sold me on buying one. I always have my 2018 SC Chameleon for the tamer trails in the area. Any one else put an order in on a Ripmo in the area?
    Ripmo.... nice job.

I think that is the best rad bike for the Bay Area. XC able and Downieville eager.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevdog88 View Post
    I demoed the Ripmo at tamarancho which was a blast and sold me on buying one. I always have my 2018 SC Chameleon for the tamer trails in the area. Any one else put an order in on a Ripmo in the area?
    I snoozed on signing up for that Demo and they were out of larges. I rode Tamarancho on a Trek Stache and it was a lot of fun (minus feeling like uphill the whole way).

If you were happy with the level of "overbike" for Tamarancho, I don't think you need to worry about the rest of the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Well done tall dude.
    I just have long legs, I'm "only" 6'.

mtbr member
    Richmond - I am 5'11" and the medium seems to be the most recommended size for my height.

I am renting a Tallboy on Sunday and was planning on biking at Rockville 5/6. If you are planning on riding this weekend I could meet up with you?
    I could probably ride Rockville Sunday unless you're interested in a tour of something in Marin. Feel free to pm me the time you plan on riding. Also, where are you getting the tall boy from?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I snoozed on signing up for that Demo and they were out of larges. I rode Tamarancho on a Trek Stache and it was a lot of fun (minus feeling like uphill the whole way).

If you were happy with the level of "overbike" for Tamarancho, I don't think you need to worry about the rest of the trails.
    I actually Demoed through Hank and Frank in Lafayette. Great group of guys and very helpful, I would recommend for sure. I was for sure over biked for tamarancho, but still had a great time on it. Very playful bike for its size. The stache has always intrigued me, but your comment about always being uphill make me laugh. I thought the 27.5 + chameleon would be like that, but to my surprise, it actually does damn good on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Almost.done collecting parts...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_510 View Post
    pivot mach 6 carbon. Xt/xtr build. Super stoked.

Name:	20180418_205235.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1195896

Name:	20180418_205252.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1195897

Name:	20180418_205304.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1195898

Name:	20180418_205311.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	1195899

Name:	20180418_205354.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1195900

Name:	20180418_205336.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1195901

Name:	20180418_201008.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	1195902
    rrrrraaaadddd

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Daaang. Ya'll are kiling me with these new bikes. I need to ride more demos like that Pivot. I've been spoiled by Evil's DELTA suspension so much that I don't think I can go with less that 150mm rear anymore. If I could only stick 29" wheels on my Calling....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Daaang. Ya'll are kiling me with these new bikes. I need to ride more demos like that Pivot. I've been spoiled by Evil's DELTA suspension so much that I don't think I can go with less that 150mm rear anymore. If I could only stick 29" wheels on my Calling....
    Is that a hint!?

mtbr member
    I don't think this is a bike many people in NorCal would consider but I just picked up a Diamondback Release 5c. This replaced an aging 26er Stumpy FSR carbon Evo. $3500 on sale last week without having to settle for or swap parts out. The only thing I had to swap out were the pedals for some Deity Tmac's because I wanted to try a concave pedal again, but then again most bikes you replace the pedals anyways. My initial budget was $4000-$4500. The other bike I was heavily considering was a YT Jeffsy 27 CF Pro. Both of these bikes had parts specs I really like but the Diamondback happened to go on sale right when I felt like my Stumpy needed to be replaced. I was looking at bikes with similar parts specs from Santa Cruz, Yeti, and Pivot but to be in my price range I was going to have to settle or replace parts. So far this bike has exceeded my expectations. It's fun as hell and I'm finding it to be far more composed on chunky stuff than my old Stumpy. Weird thing I found was that the bike weighs in at 28.5 lbs but reviewers have weighed the same size bike in at 32 lbs. I would suggest this to anyone like me who isn't willing to shell out $5000+ for a decent trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    I don't think this is a bike many people in NorCal would consider but I just picked up a Diamondback Release 5c. This replaced an aging 26er Stumpy FSR carbon Evo. $3500 on sale last week without having to settle for or swap parts out. The only thing I had to swap out were the pedals for some Deity Tmac's because I wanted to try a concave pedal again, but then again most bikes you replace the pedals anyways. My initial budget was $4000-$4500. The other bike I was heavily considering was a YT Jeffsy 27 CF Pro. Both of these bikes had parts specs I really like but the Diamondback happened to go on sale right when I felt like my Stumpy needed to be replaced. I was looking at bikes with similar parts specs from Santa Cruz, Yeti, and Pivot but to be in my price range I was going to have to settle or replace parts. So far this bike has exceeded my expectations. It's fun as hell and I'm finding it to be far more composed on chunky stuff than my old Stumpy. Weird thing I found was that the bike weighs in at 28.5 lbs but reviewers have weighed the same size bike in at 32 lbs. I would suggest this to anyone like me who isn't willing to shell out $5000+ for a decent trail bike.
    That's great. When i was looking I email DB directly and they also told me the bike is 32lbs. I ended up buying a Mojo 3, but if I was looking at a Santa Cruz 5010 or Hightower the Release would be better bang for buck.

mtbr member
    Yeah these mail order bikes look like a good deal. The other bikes I was heavily considering were the Spectral CF 9.0 Pro and YT Jeffsy 27 CF Pro. I was heavily leaning towards the YT between those two because I'm heavily biased towards Fox suspension. In the end it really came down to money when the DB sale happened. If I had money to burn I really was interested in a Hightower LT or Bronson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ride all of the good stuff in the north bay with the occasional trip to Santa Cruz, downieville, and Tahoe. The trail pistol is the best bike I've owned. Where are you located? My trail pistol is a medium, I'd be more than happy to meet up for a ride and let you throw a leg over it.

Thanks to Little_Twin for letting me demo his bike. I liked it so much that I ordered a GG Smash. Only about 100% over my initial budget. The wait begins...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just unboxed NS Bikes Metropolis dirt jumper - does that count?

Mtn View, CA
    I ordered an '18 Trance Advanced 2 from the Bicycle Trip in Santa Cruz on Saturday. They had a 20% off everything sale. The Giant demo trailer was there and I took the bike up and down EMT. I had pre-rode the OCC course earlier so I was tired but I still managed to PR going down EMT. It's a fun bike. I was jumping off every root and rock coming down EMT.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Demoed a Ripmo at the demo event in San Jose. Wow! What a bike! Its #1 on my list now. I wish I could ride a GG Smash. I feel like I owe it to myself to demo a Hightower, or HTLT. It has always been on the top of my list until I rode the Ripmo.

hopeless moron
    Hoping to hold up a local credit union soon. Then, and only then I can join all you rich fuckers in this game.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Hoping to hold up a local credit union soon. Then, and only then I can join all you rich ****ers in this game.
    I changed jobs a couple months ago so I could cash out my vacation and buy a bike. At least that's what I told my former manager when he asked why I was leaving.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    I changed jobs a couple months ago so I could cash out my vacation and buy a bike. At least that's what I told my former manager when he asked why I was leaving.
    Nice

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Trying to decide between a WR250F and a 250 EXC-F

mtbr member
    Got a bike a year ago..while new is nice I can't say it'd bring any more of a smile every time I see this.....content

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_20170802_194140123_top-low.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm looking at a Kona Sutra TA Touring bike to ride/camp Hwy 1 and other places.
    -I know it's not a sexy new MTB but my Hightower is doin' just fine
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Mtn View, CA
    Picked up my Trance from Bicycle Trip Santa Cruz after racing the Old Cabin Classic. The frame is more gray, not the blue in the photo. I thought about stopping at Demo as I passed Summit Rd on my way home but I was too tired. Maybe Fremont Older for a short ride tomorrow. It will never be this clean again. Just need to tweak the fit and set the sag. I need to see how far down the seatpost will go and maybe move some headset spacers. The seat is as hard as a rock.

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_20180519_145617717.jpg

hopeless moron
    Not quite buying a new steed, but since I FREAKIN’ FINALLY sold my Borealis Echo (no thanks to the classifieds on this forum, all that did was enable would-be-scammers to email me about “is the item still available”, “what is best price for item” cornholes to contact me) via Craigslist to a respectable fellow over in the East Bay…… sold it this moanin’. Was able to take 1/3 of the earnings and upgrade the once-rigid-singlespeed to a slack-headangled trail-eating hardtail machine. Going from zero suspension in front to a 120mm travel Rockshox Bluto pretty much equates to a nice and slack front end. Went from a 65mm stem to 35mm, changed bars from flat 5° setback (0° rise) 760mm to 12mm rise/7° setback 780mm wide. First time since I was in middle school I opted to platform pedals…… I am eager to see how my riding style can adapt to this bike; the bike doesn’t make the rider. Obviously throughout my shakedown ride tomorrow on nearby technical terrain I will be making adjustments to the cockpit and seat, and of course adjusting the anticipated cable stretch of the derailleur and brake cables. Wish me luck on my experiment.***
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7134.jpg
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7135.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7136.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7138.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7139.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7141.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7142.jpgSo who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_7144.jpg
    ***Fatbike haters ’gonna hate, they will spew forth their caustic vitriol fueled from sheer ignorance.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

I’ll be at Waterdog
    Just built up a new Ventana. Got 4 rides on it so far and it’s awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-d4803219-e298-4f95-a2b1-9c2c892a94bc.jpeg  

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-d11fdf7e-0388-4a7f-9272-a65a6ef2a27f.jpeg  

So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-61ebdb4c-8d47-40cf-873d-71846ad11c94.jpeg  

jrm
    mtbr member
    I have a Jeffsy AL 27 on order. Should have it by September. Gonna be fun...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2018 I had to get a new bike....better yet why not two?

In January I built up an Evil Insurgent for my first 27.5" bike.
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_0231.jpg

but felt a 29'er was needed to complete the stable...2018 Orbea Rallon
    So who plans to get a new steed in 2018?-img_0305-1-.jpg

......now I might be itching for an Ebike.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    In January I built up an Evil Insurgent for my first 27.5" bike.

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	1211501

but felt a 29'er was needed to complete the stable...2018 Orbea Rallon

Name:	IMG_0305(1).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	1211502

......now I might be itching for an Ebike.
    You are a sick man. So sick
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I didn't plan it but just bought a like new 2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 3 yesterday. Coming from a 2006 SC Juliana. First ride this weekend! Probably going to Wilder Ranch.

Cynical Chump
    I got a Ripmo back in May. Black Olive, X01, with the carbon rims/Ibis branded hubs. Was all ready to pull the trigger on a Pivot Switchblade (this is all to replace a 2014 Pivot Mach 6), but then saw the press release on the Ripmo, saw that Sunshine had a demo in my size, rode it, and said "take my money". Guess I was lucky to get it in early May.

Very happy with it. It's arguably too much bike for around here, but with the steep STA, it's just fine cranking up steep fire roads, it's very happy on flowy singletrack (in Mendocino, for ex), and kills it on technical climbs and descents. I had an absolute blast on it on a 5-week Canada trip this summer (Nelson, Fernie, Sunshine Coast, Squamish).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123