• 03-10-2006
    Finch Platte
    So, is it snowing in Cool, yet?
    You poor bastards.

    :D :eek: :D :eek:
  • 03-10-2006
    zon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You poor bastards.

    :D :eek: :D :eek:

    It will definetly be an interesting race. :eek:
  • 03-10-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You poor bastards.

    :D :eek: :D :eek:

    I thought you were going to suffer with us?
  • 03-10-2006
    LemurianGuy
    I went out for a morning ride here in Redding, headed toward Whiskeytown. Before I got there it started to snow lightly. I rode some singletrack for about 30 minutes, then it started snowing in earnest. So I headed home and was a popsicle by the time I got there. What I'm leading up to is that I'm probably not racing on Sunday, I can freeze my a$$ off right here in Redding!
  • 03-10-2006
    fc
    Current temps in my house are:
    Realtime Weather From De Anza College in Cupertino, CA

    3/10/06 - 12:02:12 PM CURRENT MIN/MAX HOURLY CHANGE
    Temperature 44.4 F 39.9 / 51.9 F -4.7 F

    I think we hit the high for the day already. There's snow on all the surrounding hills of the Valley.

    Cool racers, hang tough. I think Merlin might convert to full roadie after this race. Bigboulder, bring some hard liquor. Brew ain't gonna warm you up enough.

    fc
  • 03-10-2006
    Sk1nnyGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I went out for a morning ride here . . . Before I got there it started to snow lightly. I rode some singletrack for about 30 minutes, then it started snowing in earnest. So I headed home and was a popsicle by the time I got there . . .

    LOLOLOLOLOLOL

    :) :p :D
  • 03-10-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois
    I think Merlin might convert to full roadie after this race.fc

    LOL!:) :) No way....well maybe:eek: ...I hate cold weather. I don;t care about wet & muddy, but cold , wet, muddy FOCK!:( :(
  • 03-10-2006
    andy f
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You poor bastards.

    :D :eek: :D :eek:

    Nary a drop in Folsom so far. Did a nice lunchtime roadie ride on the American River bike trail and was warm enough with a long sleeve jersey.
  • 03-10-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I'm probably not racing on Sunday, I can freeze my a$$ off right here in Redding!

    But can you get real muddy & wet with a race number on your bike and suffer in redding???:p Come to think if it, I have done that in redding. Come on Ron, I'll buy you all you can eat at In & Out burger after the race!!:cool:
  • 03-10-2006
    derek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois
    Current temps in my house are:
    Realtime Weather From De Anza College in Cupertino, CA

    3/10/06 - 12:02:12 PM CURRENT MIN/MAX HOURLY CHANGE
    Temperature 44.4 F 39.9 / 51.9 F -4.7 F

    I thought I was the only one who was cheap and didn't run the heaters. :D Are you using all the electricity to keep the MTBR servers running?

    Hopefully it isn't too cold for the commute home.

    -Derek
  • 03-10-2006
    LemurianGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by merlin
    I'll buy you all you can eat at In & Out burger after the race!!:cool:

    That's a great offer and much less expensive than all the beer I can drink after the race:p If I wimp out at least the trail organization will still benefit since I'm prereg'd. I'll decide tomorrow afternoon when I get the call from my buddy who is preriding the course. How's that for sitting on the fence:rolleyes:
  • 03-10-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    If I wimp out at least the trail organization will still benefit since I'm prereg'd. I'll decide tomorrow afternoon when I get the call from my buddy who is preriding the course. How's that for sitting on the fence:rolleyes:

    Hey man, you have a reputation to keep up. The guy who designed the hardcore MTB race in Whiskeytown is whimping out becasue he does not want to get cold and dirty??? Does'nt look good.;) ;)
  • 03-10-2006
    Dan'ger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You poor bastards.

    :D :eek: :D :eek:

    Lay it on me! Snow, mud, rain, whatever! I'm racing on Sunday!

    I draw the line at nearby lightning strikes. No riding in the ozone.
  • 03-10-2006
    LemurianGuy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Its snowing in Redding again:rolleyes: If I do show up I'll have some free 2005 Lemurian shirts to give away, look me up up, I'll be wearing a sweatshirt, er, better make that a snowsuit with this logo!

    Francois, Sunday would be a really good day to test out that beautiful brand new Niner you've got!
  • 03-10-2006
    carnitas
    ummmmm yeah ....
    just flakes starting to flitter by,
    light little ones that don't yet stick.
    As the sun goes down though I bet it will be a different story.

    -carnitas
  • 03-10-2006
    Sean Allan
    Come on now.......
    Well I guess all the girlie men can go down and race the TBF race with Gary (AKA F.P)....... since it looks like he is a DNS.

    This is, and always will be a hard core race, only the tough come out and do this to themselves. Most everyone has a smile on their face at the end, maybe that's because it's over :)

    It is snowing here in Foresthill, elev. 2800' . If it does snow on the course it will only add to the epic nature. We will have two large forced air propane heaters, don't get too close, I think Lycra is pretty flammable.

    Supposed to be clear on Sunday.

    Come on Lemurian Guy, I've done your race in the snow and at 105 degress, with what seemed like a 110 degree tail wind, on a tandem nontheless, what's a little cold and water.......... oh, Ice I guess.
  • 03-10-2006
    Bikinfoolferlife
    The conditions in Cool should be old time Lemurian-like (why do you think Ron moved the Lemurian forward a coupla weeks from the old days...that tax season stuff is just a bluff:rolleyes: ).
  • 03-10-2006
    Finch Platte
    1 Attachment(s)
    It "snowed" here today.
    In Stocktontucky! 60-70 feet above sea level!!

    :eek:

    fp
  • 03-10-2006
    LemurianGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    .

    Come on Lemurian Guy, I've done your race in the snow and at 105 degress, with what seemed like a 110 degree tail wind, on a tandem nontheless, what's a little cold and water.......... oh, Ice I guess.

    The run you guys did down the Lemurian Chute on your tandem in the pre-disc brake days is the stuff of legends. Honestly, we were just talking about you guys the other day and wondered what had become of you. Now I know, you've joined the ranks of the evil, sadistic race dictators, I mean directors. Welcome to the club!:D
  • 03-10-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    We will have two large forced air propane heaters, don't get too close,.

    Especially after I down my Endurox after the race, lots of gas:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Hey can if I bring one of those BOB trailers can I bring the heaters on the course with me to keep me warm??
  • 03-10-2006
    mtnbecky
    wow! when's the last time that happened? It was 19 ought 77 for us here in p hizzle. Got in the yearbook and everything! thanks for the picture...very cool.
  • 03-10-2006
    Ogre
    That's a Hail of a Picture Finch
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    In Stocktontucky! 60-70 feet above sea level!!

    I sure a Hail didn't get snowed on.

    You should have a pronunciation guide for your name as well as spelling, everyone thinks it's a French word. "Would you like sauce on that Platte' Sir?"
  • 03-10-2006
    wg
    The temps will keep the beers cold in the car! Gotta think positive here.
    FP what's yer story.... ya coming out or not? Hell, If I'm dragging my sorry ass up there for this you have no excuse. Plus you need to give BigBoulder some competition.
  • 03-11-2006
    mtnbecky
    geez, this Briones Mafia IS hard core! Good luck to all you guys; I'm gonna swing by on my cruiser in the morning to wish you well. Then it's off to the south for me...can't wait to hear the race stories after....bb
  • 03-11-2006
    Biopacebob
    Frozen tundra
    [QUOTE=Finch Platte]In Stocktontucky! 60-70 feet above sea level!!

    Come on now. Doesn't anybody remember the ice bowl of ' 67? Packers vs Cowboys ? Bart Starr sneaking it in behind Gregg and Kramer for the win. The fans bundled up in the stands, sellout crowd,below zero. Vince Lombardi stalking the sidelines. You single speeders have all the advantage, if I shift out of the middle ring I'm doomed by chainsuck !
    I'll be off to Auburn tomorrow to win one for the gipper! Gonna bring the chains for the Exterra just in case.
    See ya there, I'll be the only one shivereing on top of a red Bianchi wearing a red white and blue frog jersey.Think I'll bring a long sleeve undershirt just in case.
    Hope my water bottle doesn't freeze.
    Should we bring some beer ?
    Hey what time does my race start ?
  • 03-11-2006
    wg
    The gang around here is a "committed" collection of characters.
  • 03-11-2006
    Captain Kana
    5 Attachment(s)
    Aptos, next Nisene Marks.
    Well, the weather hit between 10:30pm and 12:00 last night. It is still out on the ground.
    It wasn't up at the Overlook yesterday afternoon, but I bet it is now.
    Dan C.
  • 03-11-2006
    LemurianGuy
    OK , I'll be there, looking forward to the after-race feast and adult beverages! Hoping to meet some MTBR members in person!
    Ron
  • 03-11-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    OK , I'll be there, looking forward to the after-race feast and adult beverages! Hoping to meet some MTBR members in person!
    Ron

    are U crazy, it's hailing and snowing up here!!! I'm staying in bed with my wife;) Just kidding, see U tomorrow.
  • 03-11-2006
    Bikinfoolferlife
    I have no pics, but it even snowed in the Malibu hills last nite...I came down here to get away from this kind of weather...
  • 03-12-2006
    LemurianGuy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's what it looked like in Auburn Sunday morning.
  • 03-12-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Here's what it looked like in Auburn Sunday morning.

    DETAILS...DETAILS...Did you race???
  • 03-12-2006
    JMac47
    Question is?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by merlin
    DETAILS...DETAILS...Did you race???

    Did you race??:eek:
  • 03-12-2006
    merlin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMac47
    Did you race??:eek:

    Nope, the Nevada City gang bagged it this morning. The road were a mess
  • 03-12-2006
    Bikinfoolferlife
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Here's what it looked like in Auburn Sunday morning.

    So Steve gave you a call and said come on down, it's fine, eh? Let us know how you did, or was that the turnaround point?
  • 03-12-2006
    JMac47
    Good call
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by merlin
    Nope, the Nevada City gang bagged it this morning. The road were a mess

    Better to be safe then sorry. Were you feeling pretty good "race wise" Rick? Sure you would've done fine.

    Catchup sometime-J
  • 03-12-2006
    LemurianGuy
    2 Attachment(s)
    Did I race?
    You've gotta be kidding! There was a solid 4" of snow on the ground in Auburn and 6" on the cars. And the forecast was for snow showers until 4:00 pm. Add that to a race course that already is known to be muddy and you've got a recipe for....I dunno what, but I figured I didn't want to play! My pal Steve, who called me yesterday and convinced me to come, agreed. We got home in time for a ss ride in West Redding. It looked like Whiskeytown had a lot of snow, particularly higher up! We took these pics at the snowiest place we found, probably at the 1000 ft level.
  • 03-12-2006
    zon
    You guys missed a great race!!! There was only 5 or 6 inches of snow and 1 - 2 feet of mud! It was awsome!!!:D Seriously it was a lot of tough fun in a race of historic proportions being the first ever Cool Iditeride. Should have been there, you missed out, And you know who you are.
  • 03-12-2006
    Dan'ger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Here's what it looked like in Auburn Sunday morning.

    By the time we got to Cool, there was like 4-5" on the ground and it was still snowing.
  • 03-12-2006
    JMac47
    Way ta go!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zon
    You guys missed a great race!!! There was only 5 or 6 inches of snow and 1 - 2 feet of mud! It was awsome!!!:D Seriously it was a lot of tough fun in a race of historic proportions being the first ever Cool Iditeride. Should have been there, you missed out, And you know who you are.

    ....that is if you did! jk, we're (and we know who we are) truly not worthy......

    Congrats. Looking forward to pix & write-ups.
  • 03-12-2006
    JMac47
    So?....
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    By the time we got to Cool, there was like 4-5" on the ground and it was still snowing.

    ....didya? Huh Dan?:rolleyes:
  • 03-12-2006
    Dan'ger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMac47
    ....didya? Huh Dan?:rolleyes:

    Of course I did! I didn't wake up at the buttcrack of dawn and drive for like 100 miles to turn around just because of a little snow!

    I'm not sure of my time but I know that I didn't finish last in my class. I don't know how many total people were in my class but I know that at least 4 finished after me in Sport 30-39 and at least 20 riders in total finished after me.

    My brief summary:
    It snowed.
    The snow melted on the trail and the many, many bike tires churned the slush and mud into a grease-like paste that made many of the trails slippery.
    I fell in a ditch and slid about 20-30 feet in the grease.
    I submerged myself in some grease a little later and endoed. My bike then submerged itself and I couldn't unclip one foot so it went into the grease with the bike.
    My feet went numb.
    The creek water was warmer then the ambient air.
    My feet felt like 2 blocks of ice but at least ice is rigid so my legs kept pushing on the ice and the pedals kept going in circles.
    Rohloff speedhubs rule!
    It snowed some more.
    It stopped snowing.
    The sun tried very hard to come through the clouds.
    I passed some people who would normally kick my ass but they had chain suck.
    The sun came through the clouds.
    The clouds overtook the sun and it started to drizzle.
    I started cramping.
    I CX'd the final creek but in trying to jump over the creek, I landed short in the water and my legs tried to cramp solid.
    I walked with bent knee and pain to the finish line.
    Zon and Dave were there and I started talking to them and got cold.
    I went to my truck and changed into dry clothes.
    wg finished his race.
    BigBoulder and Jilm joined us for beer at my truck then we headed over for the podium ceremonies.
  • 03-12-2006
    JMac47
    Good job Dano.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Of course I did! I didn't wake up at the buttcrack of dawn and drive for like 100 miles to turn around just because of a little snow!

    I'm not sure of my time but I know that I didn't finish last in my class. I don't know how many total people were in my class but I know that at least 4 finished after me in Sport 30-39 and at least 20 riders in total finished after me.

    My brief summary:
    It snowed.
    The snow melted on the trail and the many, many bike tires churned the slush and mud into a grease-like paste that made many of the trails slippery.
    I fell in a ditch and slid about 20-30 feet in the grease.
    I submerged myself in some grease a little later and endoed. My bike then submerged itself and I couldn't unclip one foot so it went into the grease with the bike.
    My feet went numb.
    The creek water was warmer then the ambient air.
    My feet felt like 2 blocks of ice but at least ice is rigid so my legs kept pushing on the ice and the pedals kept going in circles.
    Rohloff speedhubs rule!
    It snowed some more.
    It stopped snowing.
    The sun tried very hard to come through the clouds.
    I passed some people who would normally kick my ass but they had chain suck.
    The sun came through the clouds.
    The clouds overtook the sun and it started to drizzle.
    I started cramping.
    I CX'd the final creek but in trying to jump over the creek, I landed short in the water and my legs tried to cramp solid.
    I walked with bent knee and pain to the finish line.
    Zon and Dave were there and I started talking to them and got cold.
    I went to my truck and changed into dry clothes.
    wg finished his race.
    BigBoulder and Jilm joined us for beer at my truck then we headed over for the podium ceremonies.

    I thought about driving up to watch the festivities, but didn't think my girls would be too thrilled about it, unless there was an indoor mall somewhere's close by! ;)

    Curious to see if this years weather was the "typical" Cool mudfest. Wonder how BB's knee(s) held up? A little whiskey might have done the trick to warm things up over the beer.:D

    My helmet's off to all of you.
  • 03-12-2006
    anotherbrian
    *brrrrrrr*
    I'm a fair-weather rider, so it has always been easy to find something else to do on the weekend of the Cool race. I did sign up this year thinking a SS would make it easier, and given I'd already paid my $$$, I wasn't going to miss it because of a little bad weather.

    *Brrrrr*. Snow, mud, cold, more snow, more mud, more cold. Thin poly socks do not make for warm feet, and it was an easy choice to DNF after one lap ... at least I got a chance to watch the hijinx at the mud hole before the finish.
  • 03-12-2006
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    ../.

    Man, if anyone dared bring out their camera, the photos would be epic!!!

    fc
  • 03-12-2006
    Wherewolf
    Congratulations Dan!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois
    Man, if anyone dared bring out their camera, the photos would be epic!!!
    fc

    Congratulations Dan! Sounds like I missed some really "cool" photos. But I doubt I could have walked very far in those conditions anyway.
  • 03-12-2006
    carnitas
    2 Attachment(s)
    The cool swamp x-ing
    I have been sick with the flu but I did manage to get out and see some aquatic racing today.


    I saw this very swamp eat many a front tire.
  • 03-12-2006
    Dan'ger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I'm a fair-weather rider, so it has always been easy to find something else to do on the weekend of the Cool race. I did sign up this year thinking a SS would make it easier, and given I'd already paid my $$$, I wasn't going to miss it because of a little bad weather.

    *Brrrrr*. Snow, mud, cold, more snow, more mud, more cold. Thin poly socks do not make for warm feet, and it was an easy choice to DNF after one lap ... at least I got a chance to watch the hijinx at the mud hole before the finish.

    That was the easy choice.

    I quarreled with my inner voices - one telling me "screw it, let's quit after the first lap and go see what bars there are in downtown Cool" and the other telling me "don't be such a wuss and take advantage of the fact that many people quit after the first lap due to mechanical failure." Just then, I experienced the worst brain freeze ever and both voices said "Brrrrr. Damn it's cold."

    From somewhere deep within, a third voice said "where all the white wimmen at?" And a fourth started chanting "badger, badger, badger..."

    About this time, I made a pitstop by a tree, sucked down a couple of Clif shots, some Sharkies and some water, stretched a bit, told the voices "shut up" and pressed on. Somehow voice number 4 continued on and I decided to let him speak since it beat the hell out of "Come Sail Away" by Styx.

    OK, fine. Maybe I'm just tired.
  • 03-12-2006
    mtnbecky
    Race voices are fun..bet Ozzy coulda helped you out with this one....bb
  • 03-12-2006
    wg
    I cleared that puppy at full speed both times! Just to the rider's left of that so called bridge. The first time I had no choice since I had no brakes... so let 'er rip down the hill. Blew past a few people (my one moment of glory!) who were trying to pick a line or something. I appreciated the crowd's reaction and encouragement.
    The second time, I was outta gas, outta legs and just let the brakes go and hoped for the best. My legs nearly killed me when I asked them to keep going through that slop mud just before the finish. The brain (and ego) wouldn't let me walk my first race finish. Stupid ego.

    Rambling review of the event:
    Overall one helluva introduction to MTB racing and single speeding. I'm one very tired character now. Those climbs hurt but besides no brakes at times (none, nada, this wheel will continue to turn), the lack of chain suck and other problems I saw made this the right bike.
    The first lap was a learning experience. Repeating "Just keep pedaling", "just keep pedaling" (think Dory in "Finding Nemo"). Trying to remember to eat more and keep drinking. I dug those Sharky things from the swag bag.
    Ended the first lap on a high note from the water crossing. Just before, I was starting to wonder. So passed the volunteers and am asked "Are you going for the second lap?.
    "Yes, sir! May I have another?" Begin round 2.
    Second lap, had far fewer riders. Not sure if I was that far back (yep) or people bagged it. There were a few spots I could see quite a bit of the trail ahead and behind but no one.
    The way I tinkered my brakes into submission involved dialing the pads in closer (Avid Mechanicals). And Closer. Got some rub that made climbing that much harder but it allowed me to ride the downhills for the most part vs walking them. A few were full speed, hang on and hope. Bailing would of hurt considering all the rocks. (Here's a plug for 29er wheels ease of rolling over stuff). I had only one crash in the marsh single track field. Drifted too close to an edge and lost it into the snow. Cold as heck but a lot better than a mud puddle.
    The thought that I kept in my head was to simply finish for me. I wanted to see if I could do this. I did it!
    Rolled back to Dan'ger's truck, changed and that first beer was Oh so good!
    Thanks again for driving Dan!

    Big thanks to the race organizers. Awesome event!
    Next year?

    Yes Sir! May I have another?