Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    The gang around here is a "committed" collection of characters.
    Don't harsh my mello

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Aptos, next Nisene Marks.

Well, the weather hit between 10:30pm and 12:00 last night. It is still out on the ground.
    It wasn't up at the Overlook yesterday afternoon, but I bet it is now.
    Dan C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

2012 Race: April 28th!
    OK , I'll be there, looking forward to the after-race feast and adult beverages! Hoping to meet some MTBR members in person!
    Ron
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    OK , I'll be there, looking forward to the after-race feast and adult beverages! Hoping to meet some MTBR members in person!
    Ron
    are U crazy, it's hailing and snowing up here!!! I'm staying in bed with my wife Just kidding, see U tomorrow.
    Last edited by merlin; 03-11-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

I have no pics, but it even snowed in the Malibu hills last nite...I came down here to get away from this kind of weather...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Here's what it looked like in Auburn Sunday morning.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    DETAILS...DETAILS...Did you race???

NedwannaB

Question is?

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    DETAILS...DETAILS...Did you race???
    Did you race??

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Did you race??
    Nope, the Nevada City gang bagged it this morning. The road were a mess

So Steve gave you a call and said come on down, it's fine, eh? Let us know how you did, or was that the turnaround point?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

NedwannaB

Good call

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Nope, the Nevada City gang bagged it this morning. The road were a mess
    Better to be safe then sorry. Were you feeling pretty good "race wise" Rick? Sure you would've done fine.

Catchup sometime-J

Did I race?

You've gotta be kidding! There was a solid 4" of snow on the ground in Auburn and 6" on the cars. And the forecast was for snow showers until 4:00 pm. Add that to a race course that already is known to be muddy and you've got a recipe for....I dunno what, but I figured I didn't want to play! My pal Steve, who called me yesterday and convinced me to come, agreed. We got home in time for a ss ride in West Redding. It looked like Whiskeytown had a lot of snow, particularly higher up! We took these pics at the snowiest place we found, probably at the 1000 ft level.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    You guys missed a great race!!! There was only 5 or 6 inches of snow and 1 - 2 feet of mud! It was awsome!!! Seriously it was a lot of tough fun in a race of historic proportions being the first ever Cool Iditeride. Should have been there, you missed out, And you know who you are.

Feeling a little taller
    By the time we got to Cool, there was like 4-5" on the ground and it was still snowing.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

NedwannaB

Way ta go!

Quote Originally Posted by zon
    You guys missed a great race!!! There was only 5 or 6 inches of snow and 1 - 2 feet of mud! It was awsome!!! Seriously it was a lot of tough fun in a race of historic proportions being the first ever Cool Iditeride. Should have been there, you missed out, And you know who you are.
    ....that is if you did! jk, we're (and we know who we are) truly not worthy......

Congrats. Looking forward to pix & write-ups.

NedwannaB

So?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    By the time we got to Cool, there was like 4-5" on the ground and it was still snowing.
    ....didya? Huh Dan?

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    ....didya? Huh Dan?
    Of course I did! I didn't wake up at the buttcrack of dawn and drive for like 100 miles to turn around just because of a little snow!

I'm not sure of my time but I know that I didn't finish last in my class. I don't know how many total people were in my class but I know that at least 4 finished after me in Sport 30-39 and at least 20 riders in total finished after me.

My brief summary:
    It snowed.
    The snow melted on the trail and the many, many bike tires churned the slush and mud into a grease-like paste that made many of the trails slippery.
    I fell in a ditch and slid about 20-30 feet in the grease.
    I submerged myself in some grease a little later and endoed. My bike then submerged itself and I couldn't unclip one foot so it went into the grease with the bike.
    My feet went numb.
    The creek water was warmer then the ambient air.
    My feet felt like 2 blocks of ice but at least ice is rigid so my legs kept pushing on the ice and the pedals kept going in circles.
    Rohloff speedhubs rule!
    It snowed some more.
    It stopped snowing.
    The sun tried very hard to come through the clouds.
    I passed some people who would normally kick my ass but they had chain suck.
    The sun came through the clouds.
    The clouds overtook the sun and it started to drizzle.
    I started cramping.
    I CX'd the final creek but in trying to jump over the creek, I landed short in the water and my legs tried to cramp solid.
    I walked with bent knee and pain to the finish line.
    Zon and Dave were there and I started talking to them and got cold.
    I went to my truck and changed into dry clothes.
    wg finished his race.
    BigBoulder and Jilm joined us for beer at my truck then we headed over for the podium ceremonies.

NedwannaB

Good job Dano.

Of course I did! I didn't wake up at the buttcrack of dawn and drive for like 100 miles to turn around just because of a little snow!

I'm not sure of my time but I know that I didn't finish last in my class. I don't know how many total people were in my class but I know that at least 4 finished after me in Sport 30-39 and at least 20 riders in total finished after me.

My brief summary:
    It snowed.
    The snow melted on the trail and the many, many bike tires churned the slush and mud into a grease-like paste that made many of the trails slippery.
    I fell in a ditch and slid about 20-30 feet in the grease.
    I submerged myself in some grease a little later and endoed. My bike then submerged itself and I couldn't unclip one foot so it went into the grease with the bike.
    My feet went numb.
    The creek water was warmer then the ambient air.
    My feet felt like 2 blocks of ice but at least ice is rigid so my legs kept pushing on the ice and the pedals kept going in circles.
    Rohloff speedhubs rule!
    It snowed some more.
    It stopped snowing.
    The sun tried very hard to come through the clouds.
    I passed some people who would normally kick my ass but they had chain suck.
    The sun came through the clouds.
    The clouds overtook the sun and it started to drizzle.
    I started cramping.
    I CX'd the final creek but in trying to jump over the creek, I landed short in the water and my legs tried to cramp solid.
    I walked with bent knee and pain to the finish line.
    Zon and Dave were there and I started talking to them and got cold.
    I went to my truck and changed into dry clothes.
    wg finished his race.
    BigBoulder and Jilm joined us for beer at my truck then we headed over for the podium ceremonies.
    I thought about driving up to watch the festivities, but didn't think my girls would be too thrilled about it, unless there was an indoor mall somewhere's close by!

Curious to see if this years weather was the "typical" Cool mudfest. Wonder how BB's knee(s) held up? A little whiskey might have done the trick to warm things up over the beer.

My helmet's off to all of you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

*brrrrrrr*

I'm a fair-weather rider, so it has always been easy to find something else to do on the weekend of the Cool race. I did sign up this year thinking a SS would make it easier, and given I'd already paid my $$$, I wasn't going to miss it because of a little bad weather.

*Brrrrr*. Snow, mud, cold, more snow, more mud, more cold. Thin poly socks do not make for warm feet, and it was an easy choice to DNF after one lap ... at least I got a chance to watch the hijinx at the mud hole before the finish.

swag ho Administrator
    ../.
    Man, if anyone dared bring out their camera, the photos would be epic!!!

fc

mtbr dismember

Congratulations Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Man, if anyone dared bring out their camera, the photos would be epic!!!
    fc
    Congratulations Dan! Sounds like I missed some really "cool" photos. But I doubt I could have walked very far in those conditions anyway.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 03-12-2006 at 09:38 PM.

fabricator

The cool swamp x-ing

I have been sick with the flu but I did manage to get out and see some aquatic racing today.

I saw this very swamp eat many a front tire.
    Lost, confused, in debt.. shoes, shorts, helmet, bike, pedaling, directed, stoked. Up thehill now in GV
    ourjam

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I'm a fair-weather rider, so it has always been easy to find something else to do on the weekend of the Cool race. I did sign up this year thinking a SS would make it easier, and given I'd already paid my $$$, I wasn't going to miss it because of a little bad weather.

*Brrrrr*. Snow, mud, cold, more snow, more mud, more cold. Thin poly socks do not make for warm feet, and it was an easy choice to DNF after one lap ... at least I got a chance to watch the hijinx at the mud hole before the finish.
    That was the easy choice.

I quarreled with my inner voices - one telling me "screw it, let's quit after the first lap and go see what bars there are in downtown Cool" and the other telling me "don't be such a wuss and take advantage of the fact that many people quit after the first lap due to mechanical failure." Just then, I experienced the worst brain freeze ever and both voices said "Brrrrr. Damn it's cold."

From somewhere deep within, a third voice said "where all the white wimmen at?" And a fourth started chanting "badger, badger, badger..."

About this time, I made a pitstop by a tree, sucked down a couple of Clif shots, some Sharkies and some water, stretched a bit, told the voices "shut up" and pressed on. Somehow voice number 4 continued on and I decided to let him speak since it beat the hell out of "Come Sail Away" by Styx.

OK, fine. Maybe I'm just tired.

enter and win
    Race voices are fun..bet Ozzy coulda helped you out with this one....bb

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I cleared that puppy at full speed both times! Just to the rider's left of that so called bridge. The first time I had no choice since I had no brakes... so let 'er rip down the hill. Blew past a few people (my one moment of glory!) who were trying to pick a line or something. I appreciated the crowd's reaction and encouragement.
    The second time, I was outta gas, outta legs and just let the brakes go and hoped for the best. My legs nearly killed me when I asked them to keep going through that slop mud just before the finish. The brain (and ego) wouldn't let me walk my first race finish. Stupid ego.

Rambling review of the event:
    Overall one helluva introduction to MTB racing and single speeding. I'm one very tired character now. Those climbs hurt but besides no brakes at times (none, nada, this wheel will continue to turn), the lack of chain suck and other problems I saw made this the right bike.
    The first lap was a learning experience. Repeating "Just keep pedaling", "just keep pedaling" (think Dory in "Finding Nemo"). Trying to remember to eat more and keep drinking. I dug those Sharky things from the swag bag.
    Ended the first lap on a high note from the water crossing. Just before, I was starting to wonder. So passed the volunteers and am asked "Are you going for the second lap?.
    "Yes, sir! May I have another?" Begin round 2.
    Second lap, had far fewer riders. Not sure if I was that far back (yep) or people bagged it. There were a few spots I could see quite a bit of the trail ahead and behind but no one.
    The way I tinkered my brakes into submission involved dialing the pads in closer (Avid Mechanicals). And Closer. Got some rub that made climbing that much harder but it allowed me to ride the downhills for the most part vs walking them. A few were full speed, hang on and hope. Bailing would of hurt considering all the rocks. (Here's a plug for 29er wheels ease of rolling over stuff). I had only one crash in the marsh single track field. Drifted too close to an edge and lost it into the snow. Cold as heck but a lot better than a mud puddle.
    The thought that I kept in my head was to simply finish for me. I wanted to see if I could do this. I did it!
    Rolled back to Dan'ger's truck, changed and that first beer was Oh so good!
    Thanks again for driving Dan!

Big thanks to the race organizers. Awesome event!
    Next year?

Yes Sir! May I have another?
    Don't harsh my mello

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast