mtbr member
    May 2005

Slow Down If You Drive Kings Mtn Road

So I get done with a great ride at Skeggs today (Sunday afternoon)... nice and cool, no mud, no dust, even chatted with some friendly hikers. I was feeling good, and decide to head back home with a leisurely slow drive down Kings Mountain Rd.

About halfway down Kings Mtn, a dark blue Dodge Dakota pickup with what looked like a red Santa Cruz Blur that I had seen in the Skeggs main parking lot when I left, passes me WHILE GOING AROUND A CORNER going what I estimate about 40 mph (speed limit is usually 15-25). It was about 4pm, and there were still roadies biking up.

I sure hope there was some sort of emergency to justify driving recklessly (and no, there is no justification). There's enough road bike accidents going on everyday, and we don't need fellow bikers to be causing them.

~~~~~~~
    i couldn't agree more. i've almost been run off that road while climbing, i've seen cyclists come over the center line descending too fast (me included), i've bailed on my road bike in wet weather on a turn on kings (first road accident in 9 years), and still i find myself driving it too fast. its tough though, its a fun road to drive. still, passing on a curve on that road is a horrible idea. sometimes you just have to force yourself to do the smart thing.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    So I get done with a great ride at Skeggs today (Sunday afternoon)... nice and cool, no mud, no dust, even chatted with some friendly hikers. I was feeling good, and decide to head back home with a leisurely slow drive down Kings Mountain Rd.

About halfway down Kings Mtn, a dark blue Dodge Dakota pickup with what looked like a red Santa Cruz Blur that I had seen in the Skeggs main parking lot when I left, passes me WHILE GOING AROUND A CORNER going what I estimate about 40 mph (speed limit is usually 15-25)..

shame, shame

Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    I sure hope there was some sort of emergency to justify driving recklessly ...
    Diarrhea from a dirty water bladder? JK.

I am lost, I'm no guide

good post

I worked as a ranger at Huddart Park while paying my way through college back in the early 90's. I know all too well about this road. We drove Kings Mtn. Road to Skyline Rd daily to get the water meter readings in the park. I can't tell you how many fender benders, accidents, and bikers down because of crazy drivers we came across. While going down Kings Mtn, one rider went down after a close call w/ a drifting driver and had his tights ripped completely off him. It's a crazy road as it is, no need to make it worse.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    While going down Kings Mtn, one rider went down after a close call w/ a drifting driver
    as a honda man i cant stand all the people who have jumped ship for the the nissan 240 bandwagon
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    as a honda man i cant stand all the people who have jumped ship for the the nissan 240 bandwagon
    No doubt. Anyone knows you should jump ship for a Lexus IS 300 instead.

i only see myself jumping ship if i get a pickup truck or something

im on honda #3 and the only one that did me wrong was my 94 accord that the trans blew up at 165k miles ... found out later than the 90-02 accords had TERRIBLE automatics .. especially the v6 .... my mom had a 91 accord that was a 5spd at the time.

If i get another honda im thinking 90-93 accord or 96-05 Civic HX ... i like my integra but it seems like my cheap ass sells my hondas around 180k cause i dont wanna change the tbelt / clutch / water pump

I am lost, I'm no guide

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    How did you get nissan 240 out of my post? Whatever... Maybe I missed it.

My first car was an 87 4 cylinder Toyota 4x4. It survived 2 accidents and 187,000 miles on it (all original parts, minus the tires). Seriously... oil changed every 3k and that was it. Finally someone t-boned me and totaled the truck. Upgraded (at the time) to a 6 cylinder Toyota extra cab 4x4). The head gasket blew at 78k. Turns out Toyota had a recall so they put a brand new engine in my truck for free. That had 135k on it and drove like a champ. After the birth of our first daughter, I needed to get something w/ more room in the back, as her car seat would not work in the xtra cab. So I upgraded again to the 2000 Tundra extra cab. Last year, I took advantage of the 0% financing for 60 mo's and upgraded one last time to a king cab 06 Tundra 4x4. The kids (and parents) have plenty of room!

For what it's worth, my trucks have had great resale value, despite the high mileage. I don't think I'll ever try anything different (unless I get rich or one of my inlaws croaks. Then I"ll be hitting the trailhead in a Land Rover)
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ok, back to original topic. After a Skegg ride a couple months ago, I witness a Harley rider pass me and a few cars on a blind corner and came a hair too close to being hit head on. This is in the same area, except on 84 side. He thought the corner was clear only to find an on coming car. He flew very hard into the ditch on the hill side and his Harley was very very scratched up. Somehow, he managed to get up.

As a former road rider back in college days, everytime I drive to Skegg, I couldn't understand why people want to ride up 92 to 35. The road is so narrow, and the drivers are speeding too fast. There has to be better training route that this road right? I do think that doing it as a group is a much safer route.

On the other hand, Montebello side of highway 35 seems much less traverse by car and feels wider.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Talk to the CHPies that patrol Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    ok, back to original topic. After a Skegg ride a couple months ago, I witness a Harley rider pass me and a few cars on a blind corner and came a hair too close to being hit head on. This is in the same area, except on 84 side. He thought the corner was clear only to find an on coming car. He flew very hard into the ditch on the hill side and his Harley was very very scratched up. Somehow, he managed to get up.

As a former road rider back in college days, everytime I drive to Skegg, I couldn't understand why people want to ride up 92 to 35. The road is so narrow, and the drivers are speeding too fast. There has to be better training route that this road right? I do think that doing it as a group is a much safer route.

On the other hand, Montebello side of highway 35 seems much less traverse by car and feels wider.
    between 35 and 84. They all have stories about peeling people and their bikes out of trees. I remember a story they told me that most of the motorcycle accidents up there are new bikes w/ less than 200 miles on them. It seems they ride the coast the first weekend and skyline the second. They pin it too hard around a corner and they and their bike become one with the redwoods. That's got to be a grizzly recovery...

Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    How did you get nissan 240 out of my post? Whatever... Maybe I missed it.
    You said drifting driver .... i assumed you meant this type of nonsense

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mW69VtCPz0w