Track Junkie

Skyline Park Napa update

There was an informal meeting Monday night for cyclists regarding Skyline Park. In this meeting, Andrew from REMBA shared a lot of information and tried to assuage our concerns for the park.

There was an official board meeting Tuesday night for Annual Pass holders at Skyline Park. Here are a few key bullet points:

- The park is closed. (only the RV lot is open) Do not poach the trails - they've already caught 3 people riding since the fires.

- The upper park (approx 800 acres) has burned. The North Eastern portion of the park burned hot, especially along Manzanita trail. The South Western portion of the park was mostly a back-burn, which burnt most of the small grasses while doing minimal damage to the trees.

- There was talk of significant bulldozer cuts being made along Buckeye trail. I haven't seen this, but it sounds like a lot of work will be needed to repair portions of this trail.

- The lower park (approx 50 acres) was saved. The camping areas, arena, most of the archery and most of the disc golf course are unharmed.

- All wooden features in the upper park are damaged. This includes bridges, retaining walls, water diversions, steps, etc.

- Trees are still burning. The trunks of trees, and their underground root systems are still smoldering and a risk to the area.

- There is no timeline to reopen the park. They are still assessing the damage and putting together a plan and gathering resources to repair the park.

- Volunteer opportunities ARE available to help rebuild the park! Contact Andrew @ REMBA andrew.h.brooks@gmail.com, or contact the Skyline Park kiosk at (707) 252-0481.

I'll keep you updated as I know more. The next trail volunteer day is the weekend of Nov 4/5.

In other Skyline Park news - they are working to update their web site, and it looks like they'll elect a new Treasurer at the next meeting.

The attached photo shows the burn area in grey.

Skyline Park Napa update-skyline-park-burn-map.jpg
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Damn, sounds like a significant chunk of the trails are burnt. Any idea how upper and lower skyline fared?

mtbr member
    Well, that's not the news I was hoping for. It's been a tough year or so for mtb trails near the north bay.

Crockett Hills -pwnd by hooves
    Lagoon Valley -washed away by monsoon
    Annadel -burned
    Skyline -burned

mtbr member
    Damn. Well, I know where my volunteer hours will be going this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Contains no juice.
    Thanks, Octane.

Lots of work needed. I'd like to make that Nov. trail weekend. We shall see.
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hiphopopotamus View Post
    Well, that's not the news I was hoping for. It's been a tough year or so for mtb trails near the north bay.

Crockett Hills -pwnd by hooves
    Lagoon Valley -washed away by monsoon
    Annadel -burned
    Skyline -burned
    Donít forget the disaster called the RTMP in Marin. Dozens of miles of social trails lost. For a few miles of bulldozed garbage. Itís been a rough few years. The noose keeps getting tighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to ride my bicycle
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Damn, sounds like a significant chunk of the trails are burnt. Any idea how upper and lower skyline fared?
    Please forgive me for the EXTREMELY amateur editing and poor picture quality - shot with an iPhone from Chamberlain school (approx. 1/4 mile from the park). This is the very bottom of Upper and Lower Skyline, essentially where they started the back-burns from. You can fairly assume that it burned the entire way up the trails from here. There is some hope because the canopies are still green, but keep in mind that some of these trees are "silent killers" that have roots/trunks burned out and will need to be cut down before they fall.

Skyline Park Napa update-skyline1.jpg
    Skyline Park Napa update-skyline2.jpg

mtbr member
    Link to about 300 pics posted on Skyline's site:
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0OGdIshaGchxRg

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by hiphopopotamus View Post
    Link to about 300 pics posted on Skyline's site:
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0OGdIshaGchxRg

Thanks for the pics. It honestly doesn't look to bad. The only side that looks like it burned real hot was the Rim Rock Trail side. In reality while it sucks people lost homes to this fire they are great for our open spaces and needed every 50 to 100 years. Im hoping they start letting people back in the park after the rain this week. Its kinda crazy riding through burned out trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    Thanks for the pics. It honestly doesn't look to bad. The only side that looks like it burned real hot was the Rim Rock Trail side. In reality while it sucks people lost homes to this fire they are great for our open spaces and needed every 50 to 100 years. Im hoping they start letting people back in the park after the rain this week. Its kinda crazy riding through burned out trails.
    You must not have looked through all of the pictures and/or not understood what you were seeing.

The photos show many trees that are already down and many more with damage to the base or root system.

For liability reasons alone they will wait to do a full assessment of the forest and then eliminate any risks that they discover.

People will not be let in after the rains this week.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by dustedone View Post
    You must not have looked through all of the pictures and/or not understood what you were seeing.

The photos show many trees that are already down and many more with damage to the base or root system.

For liability reasons alone they will wait to do a full assessment of the forest and then eliminate any risks that they discover.

People will not be let in after the rains this week.
    I guess I dont then as Im not a fire or tree expert. My only knowledge of fires and impact are the areas I have hunted a year or two after they have burned. Those areas usually a full of flowers and the fire danger is mitigated as all the undergrowth has burned out.

mtbr member
    If you go on the site:Home, there is a very nice write up from the park president detailing what occurred during the fires, what the current situation is, and what the plans are for the future.

It also says that after this Saturday, ongoing every 1st Saturday of the month will be a volunteer trail work day.

Track Junkie
    I'm curious how this will affect the poison oak each year? Will it grow back more-so?
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

I want to ride my bicycle
    Jan 2004
    Poison Oak thrives in good conditions, bad conditions, in-between conditions, whatever. The cockroach of plants.

mtbr member
    Trail day is still on for tomorrow starting at 9 o'clock. If it's raining hard it might get cancelled so call the kiosk before you leave. REI is sponsoring the event so everyone who shows up gets a free Cannondale!*

*not actually true...probably

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Trail work happening on the next four Saturdays. Info here:

https://www.facebook.com/skylinewild...dQ&pnref=story
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    January 20th.