Track Junkie

Skyline Park, Napa - Current conditions

Rode Skyline Park in Napa recently. Conditions are excellent, with minor mud and lots of tacky trails. The switchbacks on Marie Creek Trail have had some trailwork to make them easier to navigate, and the worst (muddiest) section seems to be just below these switchbacks.

I also noticed some trailwork of a re-route of the Marie Creek Trail near the rocky steps. I'm excited that Skyline is getting some quality trailwork done this winter/spring.

I was stunned at the hillside damage done by the migration of the wild pigs as they move closer to the entrance of the park. It seems like all the hillsides in the park have damage. Last year, most of the damage was above the lake, in the Teutor Loop.

I asked the gate-attendant/ranger what they were doing, and they said they are "trying to control the population as best as they can". Not sure what this entails, but I didn't see any other wildlife in the park on this trip. No deer, turkeys, etc.

On my way out I tossed the gate-attendant a $20, told him to charge me for 6 cyclists and to keep the change. This is how they keep track of the demographics of the park users - so it's in our interest to keep the mtb user counts high.

TL;DR - Trails are good, wild pigs are bad, rep the mtb riders and pay your dues.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Gate attendant: "Sweet, $20!" *pocket*
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I'm part of that trail crew there (volunteers). We finished up a re-route last year on buckeye and this year we are building that section by the steps. It has been great conditions for working it. There will be 2 switchbacks there instead of the steps. We have a great crew that comes out and works, not just MTBers but also hikers and occasionally equestrians. Everyone works really well together and we're all there for the same reason. Kudos to John and Andrew for putting this together! I'll work with those guys any day!....yeah the pigs have definitely gotten to be a bigger problem, like you said before it was just up top but now they are next to the fire road as well. I sure wouldn't mind having fresh bacon Skyline is our little gem here, we really need to take care of it and preserve it the best way possible by either volunteering or at least putting our money into the park as we all use it so that we can have it many years to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skyline Park, Napa - Current conditions-skyline-trail-work.jpg  

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Thanks! Thanks for trail work, and that $20. I pay every few trips, just because it's a great resource, even though I hate paying.

From my cold, dead hands
    Hey, I'm trying to do my part with the pig population! I have permission to hunt the old Kirkland Ranch property which backs up to Skyline and John Tuteur's property. I can tell you there are ALOT of pigs in this area and they are traveling back and forth between all these properties. The problem, however, is that these groups of pigs have gone almost completely nocturnal. I've only seen them out during the day on two occasions and I've spent a TON of time hunting out there. The first time they were too far for a shot and when I tried stalking them to get closer they sniffed me out and booked it (their sense of smell is even better than that of a bloodhound). The other time I managed to get within 200 yards I took a shot and missed (still mad about that). Anyway, I have some game cameras set up and I catch photos of them all the time....unfortunately, its always during the night.

NedwannaB
    Night hunt?.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

From my cold, dead hands
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Night hunt?.....
    I would, but hunting at night is illegal here in California and the fines can be pretty hefty.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    I would, but hunting at night is illegal here in California and the fines can be pretty hefty.
    Double while riding a mtb......
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Skyline Park, Napa - Current conditions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421048096.328633.jpg is the Tuteur Loop still closed? I saw this sign by the rim rock junction. I went a little further but the trail before the Loop is in bad shape.

Who makes it up the switchbacks on Chaparral? Maybe I need to see someone clear them but I don't even come close.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Napa Skyline Tuesday

Skyline Park, Napa - Current conditions-image.jpgSkyline Park, Napa - Current conditions-image.jpg

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

I used to clean them about 50% of time back when I rode there a lot...but that was after a couple of hour+ sessions trying different combos. The trick with the first one is maintaining enough momentum during the approach (which is technical by itself), staying along the left edge, then bursting to the right across the face of the turn. Takes a good anaerobic effort, and good balance between the front and rear.

The second turn is much easier: just stay right and sweep left, staying in the saddle to avoid spinning out on that soapstone looking stuff.

From my cold, dead hands
    I had trouble with just staying on the correct side of the handlebars when I rode Skyline!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thanks for the tips Mr Castigador. I'll need to dedicate some time to section next time.
    Which direction do you guys prefer the Tuteur Loop? clock or counter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    I used to clean them about 50% of time back when I rode there a lot...but that was after a couple of hour+ sessions trying different combos. The trick with the first one is maintaining enough momentum during the approach (which is technical by itself), staying along the left edge, then bursting to the right across the face of the turn. Takes a good anaerobic effort, and good balance between the front and rear.

The second turn is much easier: just stay right and sweep left, staying in the saddle to avoid spinning out on that soapstone looking stuff.
    I've tried so many times to clear that stupid section. Still haven't done it!

Here's one a few years back.

You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Personally I like counter clockwise.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    LJ0913, when you go down rim rock, do you hike a bike, up steep trail from Lake Marie? Or do you ride up from Toyon side, and double back down the same way you climbed? I have only done that twice in 15 years, and your video has me pretty fired up to run down that again. Seemed too grassy last time I went down it, but your vid looks like all dirt trail these days?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913 View Post
    I've tried so many times to clear that stupid section. Still haven't done it!
    You really need to aim as far right as you can (the part that's dirt) with some good momentum and kind if treat it like a berm, then swing hard left.

Did you make the switchback before the one in your vid? That one is MUCH harder. I love that place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    LJ0913, when you go down rim rock, do you hike a bike, up steep trail from Lake Marie? Or do you ride up from Toyon side, and double back down the same way you climbed? I have only done that twice in 15 years, and your video has me pretty fired up to run down that again. Seemed too grassy last time I went down it, but your vid looks like all dirt trail these days?
    Hey Hoolie - yeah I just suffer the 20-30 mins and hike up the steep bit. It sucks, but it's the fastest route that I am aware of.

It's a fun trail! Hope you get to hit it soon.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    You really need to aim as far right as you can (the part that's dirt) with some good momentum and kind if treat it like a berm, then swing hard left.

Did you make the switchback before the one in your vid? That one is MUCH harder. I love that place!
    Yes, I can clear that section. Although last time I was there a big chunk was missing from the outside turn and didn't attempt it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll need to hit it soon and try your method.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    To get enough riding in without riding the death trails, I usually ride the Tuteur loop clockwise, then climb again and ride counter clockwise. The descent is awesome both ways. Kinda like "do you want the top or the bottom?" I usually have a beer and some lunch near the gorgeous oaks.

The Uber Carnivore
    "Tuteur Loop closed: signs still up on 2/22. There are two oak blow-downs at the beginning of the loop (clockwise).

There was a sermonizing traffic stop/golf cart at the end of the Streblow Dr trail where it transitions to Skyline Park. Instead of a quick message of "Please support the park financially", it was ten minutes of hearing about how cyclists are doing all the freeloading (based on my observations of trail use from Streblow into the park, that is nowhere near true). I'm guessing she was a horse person who doesn't like mtb riders. She wasn't interested in what I had to say.