mtbr member

Skyline in Napa: Route Suggestions

I'm thinking about riding Skyline here soon. I haven't been there before but it appears looking at the map that there are probably some trails that are better in one direction than another. Can somebody tell me best place to park or what trails to do in order/direction? I'm looking for about 15 miles but could +/- on that. I just want to have a good time checking out a new place. Thanks in advance!
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Lightly salted
    When do you plan on going?

My favorite route, it's around 12miles +/-

Park at gravel parking lot on Streblow across from college then,
    River to ridge trail > buckeye trail all the way until you pass lake > skyline towards tuteur loop > tuteur loop clockwise > back on skyline towards chaparral > down chaparral > down manzanita to main parking lot > pay for your park use at manned kiosk > back out on river to ridge trail.

mtbr member
    Like this? Also are the trails marked well?
    Skyline in Napa: Route Suggestions-skyline.jpg

Lightly salted
    That looks good.
    The trails are marked ok, but not great. Just pay attention at the trail intersections as there's a few spots where there will be multiple trails that branch off at the same spot.
    If you need more miles then this route you can head back up buckeye after the main parking lot then take a right down skyline trail back to river to ridge trail, that should put you close to your 15 miles your after.

mtbr member
    That's the route I would recommend as well!

mtbr member
    I have never ridden skyline, always been tempted to go out there. But I always Bypass skyline and make the little extra drive to Oat mine hill road in Calistoga.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TP Rides View Post
    I have never ridden skyline, always been tempted to go out there. But I always Bypass skyline and make the little extra drive to Oat mine hill road in Calistoga.
    I want to ride there too. Was considering doing Skyline after work in Davis. Was thinking Oat would be too far. I've never ridden at either and want to ride them in the daylight my first time.

That makes me smart
    That's just plain silly.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Lightly salted
    I ride both regularly and prefer skyline. Just my preference, both are great in there own ways.

mtbr member
    Bring socks if you like to creek bomb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    When do you plan on going?

My favorite route, it's around 12miles +/-

Park at gravel parking lot on Streblow across from college then,
    River to ridge trail > buckeye trail all the way until you pass lake > skyline towards tuteur loop > tuteur loop clockwise > back on skyline towards chaparral > down chaparral > down manzanita to main parking lot > pay for your park use at manned kiosk > back out on river to ridge trail.
    This is my preferred route, but beware that the climb up Buckeye is a grinder. When I'm tired, I go up the fire road to the lake. My go to route when feeling good is what fuenstock described, then back up the fire road to the last intersection before the lake, down buckeye to skyline, then either lower or upper skyline (both are great and very different trails).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    This is my preferred route, but beware that the climb up Buckeye is a grinder.

That's no lie!
    Buckeye is a tough climb even when your feeling strong!

mtbr member
    That's no lie!
    Buckeye is a tough climb even when your feeling strong!
    So does the climb have some great payoff? Or is the fireroad going to do the same thing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    So does the climb have some great payoff? Or is the fireroad going to do the same thing?
    Fire road gets you to the same spot, but all of Buckeye is rideable up, but presents a really good challenge, especially if coming from college parking lot and up river to ridge.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Lightly salted
    The difference is buckeye is excellent single track with a few rooted steep tech sections under the shade of trees.
    The fire road is what you would expect, boring straight up and gravel with almost no shade until about 2/3 the way up.

Givin the choice, I would always pick single track over fire road!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Bottle Rock this weekend, have traffic app ready, so you can get in and out. Campsites at Skyline will be full, so pass through with care.

mtbr member
    From the Streblow parking lot, I normally go up Lake Marie fireroad do the Tuteur loop (not sure if the loop is open yet but it should be dry by now), down Skyline/Buckeye. Back up Lake Marie to the start of Tuteur loop, then do Manzanita back to the park and back to the car via Ridge. I'm not sure of the mileage.

mtbr member
    Tuteur is open and they even chopped back the weeds. Awesome double green trail.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    From the Streblow parking lot, I normally go up Lake Marie fireroad do the Tuteur loop (not sure if the loop is open yet but it should be dry by now), down Skyline/Buckeye. Back up Lake Marie to the start of Tuteur loop, then do Manzanita back to the park and back to the car via Ridge. I'm not sure of the mileage.
    I A$$ume you cut to the chase not mentioning you took River-Ridge to Lake Marie frd. 😳
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hiphopopotamus View Post
    Tuteur is open and they even chopped back the weeds. Awesome double green trail.
    Much bovine or swine carnage out on the loop?

mtbr member
    I didn't really see any on my last ride a couple weeks ago.

Lightly salted
    It's in good shape and dry

mtbr member
    Let me know if you'd like to meet up and ride there, I've never been but have been interested in going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    When are you thinking? After work maybe tomorrow? Or this weekend?

mtbr member

Skyline in Napa: Route Suggestions

I have Friday Saturday and Sunday free. Any of those work for me Rob.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    FWIW - I went there yesterday for the first time to meet a friend and did the basic loop mentioned. These are fun tracks, wide and narrow, tech sections, off camber side hills, super steep punchy climbs, loose in sections and some big flat steep sandstone slabs. It was challenging in several ways and I wish I lived closer because it is a great training spot....but maybe not a destination goal if you are driving from afar. It rocks though for a classic after work/school loop place.
    OMHR is a maybe a little more worth the drive for the challenge aspect but it is an old road so if you are severely into single tracks, Skyline is better.
    Annandale (sp) is yet another notch up and certainly more endless.
    Guess it depends where you are coming from and why you might be there, i.e., defiantly go if you are near by.

Trails were not marked super well, but pretty obvious if you have the map in your head. There are not many false turnoffs or weird spots.

mtbr member
    I've ridden Annandale, lots of fun. I want to try Skyline and OMHR. I'm thinking Saturday morning for Skyline.

Dsmxsteve - hit me up on PM or Facebook if you'd like to set a time/meeting place.

mtbr member
    Will do chief

mtbr member
    Any you guys able to clear the crazy steep switchbacks on Chaparral? Those are pretty beastly...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I prefer to park at the Skate Park and warm up on some jumps then ride up the trail.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Any you guys able to clear the crazy steep switchbacks on Chaparral? Those are pretty beastly...
    Up or down?.....

mtbr member
    Up!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the route guys! I think going up Buckeye was a little much for the three of us. Even my buddy Ben who rides a 38 tooth up front and I barely see get off said F it and walked too. I got some advice on my channel to climb up Marie Creek fireroad, and we were talking about the comment on here about climbing up Skyline. I definitely want to descend Buckeye. I can imagine that is a blast. How is the Rim Rock trail?

If you guys want to check out the ride here it is:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the route guys! I think going up Buckeye was a little much for the three of us. Even my buddy Ben who rides a 38 tooth up front and I barely see get off said F it and walked too. I got some advice on my channel to climb up Marie Creek fireroad, and we were talking about the comment on here about climbing up Skyline. I definitely want to descend Buckeye. I can imagine that is a blast. How is the Rim Rock trail?

If you guys want to check out the ride here it is:

Buckeye is always a blast going down as well as skyline. I usually climb up the road. I know its not a cool to do since its not single track but it allows for more riding and I can usually do some laps in the park.

Rock Rim trail is insane. Super narrow, rocky and steep in parts. The only issue is getting to the top. If you go to the top of Chaparral Trail and take that way up, its a 30 min hike a bike pretty much going straight up the side of the hill. if you take Rock Rim up its still mostly hiking but you can ride a few bits. The trail is worth it to do every now and then. I say if you haven't ridden it before hit it up.

Lightly salted
    Nice video!
    If you had a hard time climbing buckeye, then you won't like rim rock! I can easily climb all of buckeye no problem, but I can't climb rim rock with out lots of walking! It's way to steep and loose to ride up! It's mostly hike a bike all the way up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    Buckeye is always a blast going down as well as skyline. I usually climb up the road. I know its not a cool to do since its not single track but it allows for more riding and I can usually do some laps in the park.

Rock Rim trail is insane. Super narrow, rocky and steep in parts. The only issue is getting to the top. If you go to the top of Chaparral Trail and take that way up, its a 30 min hike a bike pretty much going straight up the side of the hill. if you take Rock Rim up its still mostly hiking but you can ride a few bits. The trail is worth it to do every now and then. I say if you haven't ridden it before hit it up.
    When you said take the road up are you talking about Marie Creek? How do you get to that? In my video at the end I made a right up Skyline to go to River to Ridge, is the road to the left at that intersection?

Nice video!
    If you had a hard time climbing buckeye, then you won't like rim rock! I can easily climb all of buckeye no problem, but I can't climb rim rock with out lots of walking! It's way to steep and loose to ride up! It's mostly hike a bike all the way up.
    It sounds like it would be fun to descend. I'll keep that in mind if I'm wanting to explore there more. My assumption is I may go back at some point. But as it is right now I have metric sh*tload of other trails in the area to record before I need to go somewhere I've been already....other than Auburn. Maybe I could do a short video on just that trail. I'll definitely try to refrain from drinking the night before. However that climb/hike-a-bike up Buckeye pretty much cleared that up.

NedwannaB
    When you said take the road up are you talking about Marie Creek? How do you get to that? In my video at the end I made a right up Skyline to go to River to Ridge, is the road to the left at that intersection?

It sounds like it would be fun to descend. I'll keep that in mind if I'm wanting to explore there more. My assumption is I may go back at some point. But as it is right now I have metric sh*tload of other trails in the area to record before I need to go somewhere I've been already....other than Auburn. Maybe I could do a short video on just that trail. I'll definitely try to refrain from drinking the night before. However that climb/hike-a-bike up Buckeye pretty much cleared that up.
    No. When you finish Riv-Ridge, in stead of going right up to take Buckeye, drop left down to the road and go right which is Lake Marie fire road. Follow it up to Lake Marie. Go left across the levy, then take the right on Chaparral. Climb then descend those infamous switchbacks, go left onto Tueder Loop as you did, come back around and continue down past the Chaparral intersection (that you overshot in your vid) and cont' on Skyline crossing that creek and either drop down the first right you come dropping you down to Lake Marie dam, or cont' climbing Skyline up passing Buckeye etc.

mtbr member
    Perfect! That sounds fun. Those switchbacks on Chaparral were pretty intense. Will be fun to ride them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Up!
    I've pretty much given up on those. I went balls out on it once, stalled in a do-or-die spot, and almost rolled into Lake Marie.

mtbr member
    LOL! I can only imagine that's about how it would go for me, except I probably wouldn't have made it up as far as you. Those were pretty crazy steep. I remember seeing the tire rub down the rocks as I was walking up and thinking that it must be hairy coming down.

mtbr member
    Those switchbacks feel really really good to ride down, you just have to trust yourself and remember that the rollout isn't bad (well, except for that cool wave shaped rock that is just parallel enough to make it super sketch).

Glad you ride Skyline - it's definitely worthy of a few days exploring the different trail/loop options. I live about an hour away and still ride there 3-4 times a month!

mtbr member
    It's close enough to me that I could add it into the regular mix. I work in Davis and ride Rockville after work all the time. It's really not to much farther than that. Is night riding a No-Go there?