Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Skyline Blvd car crash video

This is from Ratpick on Roadbikereview. I think it's very relevant here. Put it in HD mode and watch:

-------------
    Mike Jacoubowsky of Chain Reaction Bikes was riding up on Skyline Blvd yesterday and captured this video of a car crash. You won't see the actual crash, but just before and the result as they ride up on it.

Mike's blog entry here.

Sobering. I used to be too afraid to ride on Skyline but have got used to it (I worry more about deer than cars these days). This is a good reminder that it's no safer than any other road.

Dropshot Champ!
    insane

My spoon is too big!
    I'll stick with riding dirt, thank you.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    fawkin insane!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    why did they stop? F#@** that car, drive like a retard and that's what happens!

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Darwinism.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Obi
    mtbr member
    Call me mean but I damn well hope mike handed a copy of that over to Highway Patrol.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Jeezus. My car won't even hit 80 MPH, unless I've got like a mile open on 280... fat chance of that ever happening.

This is why I don't like road riding in general. Even if cars see you, most of the time they buzz you anyways or give you space but still fly by.

I hope that guy never drives again. Unlikely to happen, but it's still worth a try.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Resident Curmudgeon
    ahh welcome to my world. can't tell you how many roll overs, vehicle in the trees, over the side, and motorcycle crashes we respond to each year on 35, 9. 84,

from last Friday night

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    ahh welcome to my world. can't tell you how many roll overs, vehicle in the trees, over the side, and motorcycle crashes we respond to each year on 35, 9. 84
    Approximately how many of those are alcohol-related? Any more or less than the statewide average?

(Ironically, your sig is what made me think of that.)
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama

Likely because Mike's a father and family man himself and would likely do the right thing there even if the person was an asshat, if nothing more than to protect other drivers who might get caught up in that accident if the fog layer hit. There's barely a 100' vindow of visability at times up there and it doesn't matter on the time of day, clouds and inversion layers happen.

Black ice and/or moist tarmac often contribute to the overzealous overly confident driver's getting themselves a reality check.

Driving into Boulder Creek from the Bay side last week when the temps dropped a guy overtakes me out of nowhere just as we're hitting 2 Bar Road going into that straightaway..morning mist hanging there just above my lifted vehicles windows I feel the layer of temperature change and begin to shake my head thinking "CHP will be right there, and it's likely black iced like always.."

Guy goes to downshift, but I know he can't see CHP yet but might have a radar detector, right as he downshifts and taps the brakes he goes spinning..

Right past two squadcars and a motorcycle officer with a radar gun sitting there on the right in the pullover.

At the same moment I hear the change in pitch you sometimes get from the black ice..

I let off the throttle while a patrol car pulls out after I pass him, ease over to the right as he goes after the guy that spun and recovered.

I pull into town and head into Johnny's for a snack and they're still sitting there across from the Hardware Store as i head on down to Santa Cruz merrily along my way.

I learned to drive in those hills and on 17 and that in and of itself taught me to respect the place and not try to be some badass..some people it takes a wreck for it to sink in b/c they've seen the wrecks and still thing "It won't happen to me, I'm a badass."

**O/T: R.I.P. Clay, he used to love that ride.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

(slight return)
    Good karma for the riders who stop to help, regardless of how the guy was driving.

-slide

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Skyline is crazy deadly all right. 30 plus years ago, I watched a friend of mine fly off Skyline just north of Windy Hill going 80 mph. No seat belts in his cherry red 1959 bathtub Porsche... both he and his girlfirend were ejected thru the windshield into the scrub bushes.

They were both very lucky to survive, somehow managing not to hit any trees as the car flew off the road. He had just passed my car and my other buddy's car going crazy fast and two turns later flew off the road. All I could do was shake my head as he flew by. And yes, he was hammered. We were swimming at Horseshoe lake with our girlfriends... all very legal back then - the swimming & the girls, not the drunk driving.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    Approximately how many of those are alcohol-related? Any more or less than the statewide average?

(Ironically, your sig is what made me think of that.)

very few drunks, most are just diving faster than their skill level and car capability trying to show off their "Big Brass Ones"
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This is how innocent people die on the road. I hope this stupid Fu*k never drives again. Im glad no one else got hurt.

ballbuster

Nice!

Leave people to die. Try being human for a change.

mtbr member
    I sure hope you ride under 15mph on all the trails...cause if not your really just saying that if a Mtn biker looses control on a trail and flies down a ravine then you're just going to let him rot down there...

mtbr member
    BTW, Mike did contact the sheriff and point him to the video. Mike is one of the most level-headed reasoning people I know of. No question he'd stop and help another human in need no matter what the circumstances.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    BTW, Mike did contact the sheriff and point him to the video. Mike is one of the most level-headed reasoning people I know of. No question he'd stop and help another human in need no matter what the circumstances.

Absolutely perfect execution! Help a person in peril, show the video to the police, blog about it to build awareness.

So here's some thoughts:

- if there was no GoPro video, this story would not be a big deal. Catching accidents on video is absolutely golden. It is even more crucial when it is your accident and there are no witnesses.

- what if that driver ran over your friend? Would you still help him??

- Skyline is a death trap. It is just too fast and too straight. What happens is thrill seekers have to go past 80 mph to get their rush. Visibility is awful in the shade. From Highway 92 to 84 is a camouflage and there's cyclists there that are soo hard to see.

- There's always been the rumor of the Century Club between Highway 9 and 84. You need to average 100 mph in that span. Any truth to that?

- If you bike there or in the area, a powerful flashing headlamp and red blinkie are essential. And a gopro...

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I remember when I was in high school a driver on Hecker Pass momentarily looked into the back seat for something and drove through a group of four bikers out on a weekend wine tasting trip killing all four. I still vividly remember the spray paint outline of a headless body and a lone circle several yards away.
    Happened about a mile from my house. I'll stick to dirt and knobby tires thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Weirdly, I don't think of Skyline as a death trap (for cyclists) any more. Folks do drive very fast but you can hear them coming and there is rarely traffic coming the other way so they nearly always cross over and give room.

I actually find motorcycles to be the worst up there - they won't modify their line through a corner just because a cyclist happens to be on the apex.

The exception is the one ******bag in 100 who hates cyclists and has to let us know, of course.

Real death traps are climbing high-traffic roads like 84 (from Portola) or 92 (from Crystal Springs), or anywhere near a school at dropoff or pickup time.

mtbr member
    Weirdly, I don't think of Skyline as a death trap (for cyclists) any more.
    I think it depends on the cyclist. Just got back from a ride up near Long Ridge open space. I was going about 25+MPH (in the car on the way home) and came around a corner to find cyclists riding side-by-side in my lane and I had cars coming from from the opposite direction. If I was going any faster I would not have been able to slow down to their speed in time.

I'll keep my riding on the dirt!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What about the car coming from the other direction at 30 seconds? He may have caused the other driver to swerve and flip over. He probably saw the whole thing in his rear view mirror, but decided to get the hell out of there.....
    Also known as Menso's dad.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    What about the car coming from the other direction at 30 seconds? He may have caused the other driver to swerve and flip over. He probably saw the whole thing in his rear view mirror, but decided to get the hell out of there.....
    Whuuut? What's the point of creating such a remote theory? The driver is clearly reckless.

fc

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Also, it (closer to 20 seconds) seems that the driver coming towards Mike had already rounded that turn, and the crashed driver was already out of his line of sight by then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast