mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Skills Clinics in Bay Area / Marin / Sonoma

My wife is new to riding and I'm just getting back into it after a long hiatus. Can't anyone recommend any clinics or other services that will help us become stronger riders? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome, thank you! Ian looks like a great fit for us. Have you used him?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derailer View Post
    Awesome, thank you! Ian looks like a great fit for us. Have you used him?
    I did a 1 on 1 with Ian. It was pretty fun, he is a really cool dude. He taught me a few things that I've tried to ingrain into muscle memory while I ride. I was a little disappointed at first, but I think my expectations were too high for 1 training session. Getting better requires a lot of practice.
    Last edited by griffsterb; 06-22-2017 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    I did a 1 on 1 with Ian. It was pretty decent, he is a really cool dude. I am a solidly intermediate+ rider, but I think the clinic would be better for a beginner. I learned a few things but not sure if it was worth $200.
    He usually leads the advanced group at the monthly BTCEB Meetup rides. Join his group and he can teach you how do things like this for free.

https://youtu.be/PYTRJKpG_gU

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I took a clinic with Dylan Renn last year and got a lot out of it:
    A Singletrack Mind - Mountain Bike Skills Coaching. Professional Mountain Bike Skills Coaching

My wife attended a Women's Dirt Series camp and had good things to say about the coaches:
    Trek Dirt Series Mountain Bike Camps

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm super stoked to get our skills up so we can start riding with more confidence and, more importantly, ride with MTBR folks!

mtbr member
    If there were a doctorate in cycling, Ian Massey would have it......the guy knows a TON about bikes, setup, skills etc.....

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Hook up with the East Bay Bicycle Trails council. They have regular group rides and one fairly regular one, "Ride Like a Girl" is focused on women riders.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Hook up with the East Bay Bicycle Trails council. They have regular group rides and one fairly regular one, "Ride Like a Girl" is focused on women riders.
    Both of these would be great for your wife. Ian knows bikes and has a passion for teaching.
    The BTCEB is a great group of rides and very fun to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BUMP. Any other suggestions? Long time rider, but wanting to up my game. Lots of changes, new bike, switching from clipless to flats. Want to unlearn bad habits and learn new ones that will help me get through technical stuff and also learn some basic jumping skills.

I would prefer to start with group class first as I tend to learn better when I can see first hand the right way and wrong way of doing things. Sometimes it's hard to see and feel what you doing wrong if it's a private lession, and it hard for a instructor to show the wrong way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Look into local group rides, one of the best things you can do is ride with people who are better

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Look into local group rides, one of the best things you can do is ride with people who are better
    Yes and now. You will not learn proper technique which can be hard to learn after bad habits have been ingrained with muscle memory. Better to take a class with a certified trainer and learn good habits and technique first then ride with people who are faster than you.

Women's Clinics and Outings (my GF's business. Jeni and Paige are also coaches at Northstar) Level 2 IMBA Certified.
    http://mtbexp.com/

The other quality instructors have already been listed about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anybody done clinics with Lee Likes Bikes? They seem to have clinics scheduled in December:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mountai...ts-38014925666

The clinic includes training on this new RipRow machine? Has anyone tried it? Seems a bit gimmicky, but I can see the benefit of not needing to bail, when practicing skills. But I can't see it being much help in a clinic...I guess it's an upsell opportunity...

L1MEY
    I never feel comfortable doing this. I'm sure I could learn a lot from people who are better riders than me, but I'm slow. Painfully slow. Like 2-3mph on the uphills slow. I do better on the downhills, especially if I'm familiar with the trail, but I'm probably still slower than average. It's hard to watch and learn when the person you're trying to watch keeps disappearing, even if they do stop and wait for you to catch up.
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Anybody done clinics with Lee Likes Bikes? They seem to have clinics scheduled in December:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mountai...ts-38014925666
    I did a day with LLB, and also a private with Ian.

The LLB had ~7 people. The skills where very varied, with myself as the most advanced (and that isn't saying much). I learned a few good things, and overall found it useful and worthwhile.

Then I took a lesson with Ian. Same price as I recall, but 1:1 time. It was totally next level. Ian is outstanding, and between the 1:1 time and the deep experience he has with the physical situation at JMP, he is able to be very focused with little wasted time.

In both situations a single lesson is still a single lesson. Frankly I'd love to get some kind of regular cadence going, group ride, or something, so I can get reinforcement on the skills.

FYI, I also find the online stuff from Ryan Leach to be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oteich View Post
    I did a day with LLB, and also a private with Ian.

The LLB had ~7 people. The skills where very varied, with myself as the most advanced (and that isn't saying much). I learned a few good things, and overall found it useful and worthwhile.

Then I took a lesson with Ian. Same price as I recall, but 1:1 time. It was totally next level. Ian is outstanding, and between the 1:1 time and the deep experience he has with the physical situation at JMP, he is able to be very focused with little wasted time.

In both situations a single lesson is still a single lesson. Frankly I'd love to get some kind of regular cadence going, group ride, or something, so I can get reinforcement on the skills.

FYI, I also find the online stuff from Ryan Leach to be great.
    Excellent feedback thanks.

Sometimes I prefer small group settings as it gives you time to practice and work on stuff as the instructor is coaching other people. 1-on-1 can be frustrating, when try after try you miss the cue and can't execute what the coach is asking for. That said, based all the feedback here, I'm going to reach out to Ian. Pricing seems fair, and flexibility to schedule session around my schedule rather than waiting for a workshop to come along.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Excellent feedback thanks.

Sometimes I prefer small group settings as it gives you time to practice and work on stuff as the instructor is coaching other people. 1-on-1 can be frustrating, when try after try you miss the cue and can't execute what the coach is asking for. That said, based all the feedback here, I'm going to reach out to Ian. Pricing seems fair, and flexibility to schedule session around my schedule rather than waiting for a workshop to come along.
    FWIW I agree with you on the small groups. I did a 3-day course with Dylan (singletrack mind) where there were 8 of us. At first I was worried that I was only getting 1/8 of what I would pay for, etc. but it ended up being quite beneficial. You just can't be absorbing new things 100% of the time, and I found it helped drive the lessons home to watch other people learning the same things, and thinking about what was being taught.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    can't execute what the coach is asking for.
    That's how it went when I tried getting some instruction some years ago. Would have been worse with a group.

Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    I never feel comfortable doing this. I'm sure I could learn a lot from people who are better riders than me, but I'm slow. Painfully slow. Like 2-3mph on the uphills slow. I do better on the downhills, especially if I'm familiar with the trail, but I'm probably still slower than average. It's hard to watch and learn when the person you're trying to watch keeps disappearing, even if they do stop and wait for you to catch up.
    THIS

I suppose it could work if they were just a little bit better / faster,
    but it never seems to be that way.

We could ride with each other. You won't learn any skills from me though.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk