mtbr member

Skeggs pics from 9/25 (Descender's Delight Plus)

Well it was hot so in lieu of Coe there was another Skeggs ride, on Saturday. This followed Mr Crash's Descender's Delight route, with some minor tweak (added a bit of South Leaf) and addition of a Perimeter ride. Some pics:

Steam Donkey (trail, not the rider)

ratpick's run on the Manzanita Wall

mudworm in eager anticipation of the Root

mudworm, too fast to get caught

Skyline35, happy not to be in all photos!

More here
    Last edited by ElHombre; 09-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    This was a tough but fun ride. Thanks to mudworm for being our route planner and guide!

At the end of Descender's Delight, I tried to bribe ElHombre with an exotic New Zealand black beer but he was resolute and didn't join us for a final perimeter loop. All up we managed a 38 miles/7000' ride in Skeggs, which is easily my longest ride there.

I really like the Descender's Delight route - it definitely makes the most of the best downhill singletrack in the preserve. We didn't cover every trail in Skeggs, but not too far from it:

ElHombre kept the pedal to the metal so he and I were often waiting, paparazzi style, at the top/bottom of climbs/descents and thus our sweeper had a very photographic ride!

From Skeggs Descender's Delight Plus Ride - Sep 2010

Much analysis was done of the Resolution root

On this day, reaching the top of the ECdM Ck trail at the end of the Descender's Delight route was very welcome, as you can see by the smile on mudworm's face!

But that same smile was long gone by the top of the 1000'/2.5 mile Lawrence Creek climb!

I'm a "she".

Hmmm... Let me just be crystal clear

The route was MrCrash's idea. After I rode it with a very minor modification (included the whole of Crosscut) last Sunday, I named it Descender's Delight Ride (here is why). But it was an extremely drizzly and overcast day so my GPS lost satellite reception a few times on the ride. The track came out looking jaggy. I had to do it again just to get the track right!

Probably not many people would go "Hmmm... that sounds like a great idea" when they hear my proposal:
    1. Descender's Delight ride (~20 miles)
    2. Replenish at the car ...
    3. Perimeter ride clockwise: Sierra Morena, Whole Steam Donkey, Blue Blossom or Spring Board, Lawrence, V Mill, S+N Leaves, ECdM) (est. ~14 mi)
    4. Replenish at the car, and if time and energy allows...
    5. Perimeter ride CCW: ECdM, N+S Leaves, V Mill, Lawrence, BB, Crosscut, Gordon Mill, Sierra Morena, est. ~13mi)

But some how it attracted ratpick, Skyline35, and ElHombre who brought his friend Tom. Fun chats and laughs were scattered all over Skeggs, but we did end up loosing people one by one through out the ride. When ratpick and I finished the first perimeter ride (CCW), we didn't have enough day light to go for the other one.

Today, between chores and errands, I managed to squeeze a quick ride in at Skeggs, and the route is no other than the clockwise perimeter ride. Whew, mission accomplished.

(Full report for this weekend's ride.)

Actually, what was accomplished was more than just that ride (or even those rides) -- it was also a silly project of mine. Click on the following images to see my project. (And go ahead and laugh...)

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    But that same smile was long gone by the top of the 1000'/2.5 mile Lawrence Creek climb!
    Oh yeah, I got my revenge today -- I went down it!!!
    Last edited by mudworm; 09-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Did anyone else look at the Garmin route map and grimace in pain?

You guys are troopers. I like how you named it "Descender's Delight" - all happy and light hearted. Looking at numbers, I'd think more along the lines of "Peninsula Punisher / El Corte de Masochism / Skeggs Sufferfest". Looks like it was an incredible ride!
    Last edited by MrCrash; 09-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.

I'm a "she".
    MrCrash, thanks for coming up with the excellent idea!

BTW, Descender's Delight Ride does not include that perimeter ride. Just to be clear, I separated the two back-to-back rides on my GPS. This is our version (including the new connector on the S. Leaf too, hence Plus):

The perimeter ride was a whole new ride and there were definitely moments of punishment on that one (regardless the direction).
    Last edited by mudworm; 09-27-2010 at 12:06 AM.

~~~
    38 miles/7000' ride in Skeggs, which is easily my longest ride there.

I really like the Descender's Delight route - it definitely makes the most of the best downhill singletrack in the preserve. We didn't cover every trail in Skeggs, but not too far from it:

Holy crap. Might be easier to just mark the trails that you DIDN'T ride

Up up and away!
    38 miles and only 5 hours? ummm... I'd have to start at 6am...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb008
    38 miles and only 5 hours? ummm... I'd have to start at 6am...
    5 hrs was moving time only. We went at a fairly relaxed pace and didn't rush to leave regroups (so much analysis of the route to be talked through

When mudworm first proposed this, I jokingly suggested a 6am start-time if we had any chance I'd completing it! Actually, I was almost right

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    Did anyone else look at the Garmin route map and grimace in pain?

You guys are troopers. I like how you named it "Descender's Delight" - all happy and light
    hearted. Looking at numbers, I'd think more along the lines of "Peninsula Punisher / El
    Corte de Masochism / Skeggs Sufferfest".
    Climbing out of Virginia Mill/Lawence Creek, I bonked big time, like Plim-bonked! Ugh.
    I exited CM6 and rode the roads back. But still, the company was great and I had a
    good time until heat and fatigue got the better of me.

Temps from the nearby La Honda weather station:

Tom (the other half of mtbguru.com) gushing about ElHombre's Salsa:

On the Manzanita 180: ratpick, ElHombre, and Ms Skeggs 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    Actually, what was accomplished was more than just that ride (or even those rides) -- it
    was also a silly project of mine. Click on the following images to see my project. (And go
    ahead and laugh...)
    Hmmmmmm, you could add this one!
    South Bay MTB rides this Xmas week

*,.,*,.,*,.,* ,.,*

This weekend was yet another Skeggs Half Moon Bay for me but this time it was on
    separate days. ratpick and his wife Brenda joined Anne-Marie and I on a very casual
    HMB ride:

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 09-27-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: to add temp graph
    Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Climbing out of Virginia Mill/Lawence Creek, I bonked big time, like Plim-bonked!
    You knew Charlie was on the verge of bonking when he constantly and attentively asked "Is your contact lens still okay (and you don't need to stop and roll your eyes for a while)? You sure your chain is fine and you don't need to fiddle with it?" He must be missing the break he got when I spent almost 10 minutes dealing with a dried up contact lens. Ratpick's bike was not as considerate though as its chain got itself out of the "suck" situation a bit too fast before Charlie even got a chance to sit down.

Tom (the other half of mtbguru.com)
    I'd like to claim the credit that now the Search results on mtbguru.com show the distance and ascent stats. The duo got an earful from me on the ride.

Hmmmmmm, you could add this one!South Bay MTB rides this Xmas week
    I have to take a closer look at the route when I get home tonight, but "45 miles and 9.7Kft" sounds great!

*,.,*,.,*,.,* ,.,*
    So pretty!!! I get mesmerized by staring at it.

a very casual HMB ride
    And beautiful too!

When mudworm first proposed this, I jokingly suggested a 6am start-time if we had any chance I'd completing it! Actually, I was almost right
    I forgot how much guys can talk! Everytime I had to get my whip out to get everyone moving again. Yeah, that's the thing about Skeggs -- there are so many intersections for regrouping. If you find a track with moving time, make sure you budget in stop time as well if you are riding with a group esp if there are fun guys in the group.

mtbr member
    Nice relaxing, cool ride yesterday!

My wife enjoying the non-technical aspect of the bluff trails

From Half Moon Bay Bluffs - Sep 2010

OT: $50 for a whole frozen tuna right from the boat.. good deal!

Playing around on the slightly hillier trails near the golf ball

There was a steepish, technical track headed down from an antenna so I gave it a go (fun - click for video)

Really nice day on the coast - beaches were busy

PS: I think I've convinced myself to go back to Skeggs and do mudworm's CW loop today!

I'm a "she".
    PS: I think I've convinced myself to go back to Skeggs and do mudworm's CW loop today!
    Pffft, yeah right. Like that took any convincing at all.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Climbing out of Virginia Mill/Lawence Creek, I bonked big time, like Plim-bonked! Ugh.
    You done made me laugh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skeggs pics from 9/25 (Descender's Delight Plus)-img_0259.jpg  

This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

I'm a "she".
    Climbing out of Virginia Mill/Lawence Creek, I bonked big time, like Plim-bonked!
    Right, are you sure, Charlie? You mean... like this?
    (source)

You were still upright when ratpick and I left for Blue Blossom.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Hah! I forgot about that one.

And then there was the time I just sat down on Bear Mountain and couldn't move. I think it was about a half hour later Charlie came back to find me. At least there were no pics that time.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    my buddy and I ran into your group last saturday (corner of Methuselah and Manzanita) .

More pie please

Plim-bonk

Plim-bonk, as anyone in sports medicine knows, is the most extreme level of bonking.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    I put my revenge off for an extra day but got it today. That CW perimeter loop is quite interesting - the climb up Spring Board is one that I've never done before. The descent down Lawrence Creek is so nice; just like the climb it feels like it is never going to end!

The feature of doing the loop in this direction is that after Lawrence Creek, you are climbing pretty much all the way to the end, albeit at a more comfortable grade than up Lawrence Creek.

So, once I was done with the loop, I decided to have fun on Manzanita, Cross Cut, Giant Salamander and Resolution. As I climbed Methuselah, it entered my mind to give climbing Fir from the very bottom a go. A quick systems check said I wasn't too tired to give it a decent go, so up I went! For Coe riders, it's actually not that bad at all; which is to say, it is damn steep but no steeper than (say) Serpentine and every steep part has an "easy" 10-12% step after it where you can get your breath back.

I was able to clean all to the rocky wall that ElHombre and I balked at on Saturday. I got halfway up that wall before walking about 15 feet of it; cleaned the rest. I think it actually is cleanable on the right (uphill) side - since it's so close to Resolution, I might session it one day and see The profile reveals the gory details:

(notice there is a good flat section just before the rocky wall)

A tree had fallen down over the Sierra Morena trail, just past CM-02 where the trail splits for a bit. I saw rangers at Skeggs Point when I was done so reported it to them. Interestingly, they were there to clean out a wasp nest that apparently was in the trash can where we spent a whole hour eating our lunch on Saturday!! I was skeptical, but I didn't hang around to find out!

I'm a "she".
    Pffft, yeah right. Like that took any convincing at all.
    Erik got confused and thought I had done some convincing. I said no... See, if a ride sounds interesting, I know ratpick would not wait long before he gets out and bags it. Not to mention an "unfinished" ride like this. I betcha that extra you did today (including climbing Fir) did not take any self-convincing either.

I forgot to mention earlier that when I sent out the invitation for my 3-part ride, both Skyline35 and ratpick were already planning to do the Descender's Delight ride, which I posted from the weekend before on Plus3 and MTBguru.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    my buddy and I ran into your group last saturday (corner of Methuselah and Manzanita) .
    In that case, you can't be the group we ran into on South Leaf among whom one rider clipped a tree and slid down the steep soft/sandy bank like 50 feet. He didn't look injured, but climbing back up with the bike had to be a lot of work. (We didn't stop to watch.)

I now look forward to that Everything Skeggs since there are still a few trails I have not touched at Skeggs including this lower section of Fir.

mtbr member
    Erik got confused and thought I had done some convincing. I said no... See, if a ride sounds interesting, I know ratpick would not wait long before he gets out and bags it. Not to mention an "unfinished" ride like this. I betcha that extra you did today (including climbing Fir) did not take any self-convincing either.
    None whatsoever - just the mere mention of something tough is enough to get me interested!

I now look forward to that Everything Skeggs since there are still a few trails I have not touched at Skeggs including this lower section of Fir.
    Yeah.. already trying to figure out when to attack this route.. looks delicious!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hat is off to you all! WOW thats some big elevation! I rode just under 4000 this last weekend and had some leg cramps, over 7K I would of needed a lift. What can I do to avoid the dreaded leg cramps?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman
    Hat is off to you all! WOW thats some big elevation! I rode just under 4000K this last weekend and had some leg cramps, over 7K I would of needed a lift. What can I do to avoid the dreaded leg cramps?
    I drank plenty of water, maybe need more electrolites

mtbr member
    What can I do to avoid the dreaded leg cramps?
    In my experience, cramps come from a lack of either electrolytes or water.. nearly always the former if you are sweating. Solution is to take in extra electrolytes. For that you can take a pill every hour or so (Hammer Endurolytes work well for me, but others find Sportlegs work for them), or chew on the Margarita flavored Cliff Blocks, or throw a lot of salt on your mid-ride food (I've found boiled potatoes good recently - cover them in olive oil and smother with salt).

Don't go overboard, though, because too many electrolytes is a whole different problem.

The fitter and stronger your legs get, the less you have to worry about this!

I'm a "she".
    I got lucky that from day one, I have not had frequent troubles with cramping. In hindsight, I credit it to my riding style -- I'm a spinner. The couple of times when I experienced it was when I tried to power a higher gear than usual with already tired legs; once when I was trying to maneuver a ditch crossing on Heritage Tr on the Henry Coe Rustic Journey, and once when I tried to hammer back to the HH parking lot on the Coe Spring Circus thinking there was BBQ waiting for me. Both times, I was able to alleviate the problem by backing off and going back to spinning low gear. I think what has worked for me consistently is: I pace myself from the very beginning. And if I know my legs are already tired or I still have long ways to go, I will even stay away from do-overs at technical sessions that require explosive powers.

The fitter and stronger your legs get, the less you have to worry about this!
    Then you'll want to go longer and faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good info, thanks all! I may have rode to hard up to Sandpoint that day. I made it from the Epicenter/Aptos creek bridge to Sandpoint in 31 min. felt like I was going a good pace. Yeah I ran out of the Nuun which seems to work ok for me, I'll restock. I had a water bottle full of coconut juice but just don't think it has the electrolytes needed. I still have never been to Skeggs, maybe one day i'll drive up there!

mtbr member
    I got lucky that from day one, I have not had frequent troubles with cramping. In hindsight, I credit it to my riding style -- I'm a spinner. The couple of times when I experienced it was when I tried to power a higher gear than usual with already tired legs; once when I was trying to maneuver a ditch crossing on Heritage Tr on the Henry Coe Rustic Journey, and once when I tried to hammer back to the HH parking lot on the Coe Spring Circus thinking there was BBQ waiting for me. Both times, I was able to alleviate the problem by backing off and going back to spinning low gear. I think what has worked for me consistently is: I pace myself from the very beginning. And if I know my legs are already tired or I still have long ways to go, I will even stay away from do-overs at technical sessions that require explosive powers.

Then you'll want to go longer and faster.
    My office mate/triathlete just tells me, if you're neither cramping nor puking at the end, you haven't gone hard enough

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre
    My office mate/triathlete just tells me, if you're neither cramping nor puking at the end, you haven't gone hard enough
    Please tell your officemate I like to be soft.

I still have never been to Skeggs, maybe one day I'll drive up there!
    Don't wait too long. Once the fogs/rains move in and settle for the season, a few popular singletracks can get pretty muddy and even be closed. If you need some ride ideas (with cue sheets), maybe give this page a try (shameless plug )?
    Last edited by mudworm; 09-28-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: I was just joking...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I forgot to mention earlier that when I sent out the invitation for my 3-part ride, both Skyline35 and ratpick were already planning to do the Descender's Delight ride, which I posted from the weekend before on Plus3 and MTBguru.

In that case, you can't be the group we ran into on South Leaf among whom one rider clipped a tree and slid down the steep soft/sandy bank like 50 feet. He didn't look injured, but climbing back up with the bike had to be a lot of work. (We didn't stop to watch.)

nope that wasnt us (thank goodness/ poor guy) - but it was us that you parked next too

mtbr member
    I still have never been to Skeggs, maybe one day i'll drive up there!
    Aah, well if you've never been, then do the ride I did today and sample every single trail:

Credit Biking Brazilian for the original route post, 3 years ago and Skyline35 for remembering it!

More pie please
    Aah, well if you've never been, then do the ride I did today and sample every single trail
    Niiiiiiiiice !!!!!!

And it was pretty warm today:

(LaHonda weather station)

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    Looking at the map, I have this visualization of a little ant wondering about seemingly aimlessly but ends up drawing a beautiful pattern. Nice job, ratpick!!!

mtbr member
    Still one of my all time favorite places to ride.

Thanks for the pix and detailed info!
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Niiiiiiiiice !!!!!!

And it was pretty warm today:

///Charlie
    Yeah.. I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough, though.. no puking or cramping

Actually, the only time it actually felt hot was climbing ECdM Ck trail - something about that trail makes it feel like an oven!

mtbr member
    Looking at the map, I have this visualization of a little ant wondering about seemingly aimlessly but ends up drawing a beautiful pattern. Nice job, ratpick!!!
    Sorry to beat you to it.. you're going to really have a good time with this one! Should be much cooler than today.

BTW, there is one trail not covered in the original route - it's the new-looking exit trail to Star Hill Rd on South Leaf (I think) - marked with Lap 21 on my ride. Don't miss it

The old growth tree is huge - never seen that before. The Vista Point off Fir has been cleaned up nicely since I was last there (2 years ago). It's a really good feeling to get to the top of Resolution, right near the end of the ride, after hitting that same spot early in the ride after climbing up lower Fir.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The route was MrCrash's idea. After I rode it with a very minor modification (included the whole of Crosscut) last Sunday, I named it Descender's Delight Ride (here is why). But it was an extremely drizzly and overcast day so my GPS lost satellite reception a few times on the ride. The track came out looking jaggy. I had to do it again just to get the track right!

Probably not many people would go "Hmmm... that sounds like a great idea" when they hear my proposal:
    1. Descender's Delight ride (~20 miles)
    2. Replenish at the car ...
    3. Perimeter ride clockwise: Sierra Morena, Whole Steam Donkey, Blue Blossom or Spring Board, Lawrence, V Mill, S+N Leaves, ECdM) (est. ~14 mi)
    4. Replenish at the car, and if time and energy allows...
    5. Perimeter ride CCW: ECdM, N+S Leaves, V Mill, Lawrence, BB, Crosscut, Gordon Mill, Sierra Morena, est. ~13mi)

But some how it attracted ratpick, Skyline35, and ElHombre who brought his friend Tom. Fun chats and laughs were scattered all over Skeggs, but we did end up loosing people one by one through out the ride. When ratpick and I finished the first perimeter ride (CCW), we didn't have enough day light to go for the other one.

Today, between chores and errands, I managed to squeeze a quick ride in at Skeggs, and the route is no other than the clockwise perimeter ride. Whew, mission accomplished.

(Full report for this weekend's ride.)

Actually, what was accomplished was more than just that ride (or even those rides) -- it was also a silly project of mine. Click on the following images to see my project. (And go ahead and laugh...)

Ok, I'm thinking of heading to Skeggs tomorrow AM, which loop would you all recommend. Oh yeah i'm a Skeggs virgin!

mtbr member
    Ok, I'm thinking of heading to Skeggs tomorrow AM, which loop would you all recommend. Oh yeah i'm a Skeggs virgin!

Do #2 - I think you said above that you climbed Nisene to Sand Point, so you should be able to handle the climbs in here no problem.

Just keep remembering that you have to climb to end (if you start at Skeggs Point) so if you feel your legs going noodly, head up!

I'm a "she".
    Yes, #2 is good. And afterwards, if you still have lots in the tank, head back out for #1. Oh, make sure to either print or grab a map because there are many places for bailout if it becomes too much.

You did say earlier that your legs cramped after ~4000' of climbing, so #3 might be too much, but IMHO, that's an excellent route too.

mtbr member
    Yes, #2 is good. And afterwards, if you still have lots in the tank, head back out for #1. Oh, make sure to either print or grab a map because there are many places for bailout if it becomes too much.
    Yes.. and it's easy to get lost the first few times (or maybe I just have a poor sense of direction

I really like this map on Passion Trail Bikes' website, although it's out of date now (ignore the closure warnings - these trails are all open).

If you forget to print one, there are paper maps at CM-01 & CM-02.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    ...it was also a silly project of mine. Click on the following images to see my project. (And go ahead and laugh...)
    Mudworm, that freaking RULES!!! I haven't ridden Skeggs very much, and always end up wandering about a bit aimlessly. Thanks for taking the time to do that, it's now officially in my reference library

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thank you all for the recommendation! Hopefully I don't get lost.

I'm a "she".

Cool!

Glad to hear that you guys find the page helpful. Thanks!

I have added the All of Skeggs (aka Everything Skeggs) ride to the page too for the endurance minded riders (isn't that everybody?). I had a blast doing it today (ride report). Wow, Biking Brazilian, excellent job planning the excellent route!

On the ride, Spartan23 and Neela (in different groups) recognized me from this thread. Thanks guys for the pleasant chats!

What's a ride without GPS?
    Last edited by mudworm; 10-02-2010 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I have added the All of Skeggs (aka Everything Skeggs) ride to the page too for the endurance minded riders (isn't that everybody?). I had a blast doing it today (ride report). Wow, Biking Brazilian, excellent job planning the excellent route!
    Studworm strkes again. Great ride in a faster overall time than I managed

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Glad to hear that you guys find the page helpful. Thanks!

On the ride, Spartan23 and Neela (in different groups) recognized me from this thread. Thanks guys for the pleasant chats!

What's a ride without GPS?
    AWESOME !!! we managed to complete a 21 miler and 4000 footies (half of what you've done ). South Leaf is really something else
    good meeting you -

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    South Leaf is really something else
    Sorry if you got the idea of doing S. Leaf from my ride collection. I should have made it more clear that IMHO, the highlighted section of S. Leaf is the most technical section at Skeggs, narrow with steep hill side and a few steep ups and downs.

However, yesterday, when I drove up and down Star Hill a few times (I kept spacing out and missing my stash point), I saw a lot (at least four) MTBr groups riding on the road. It just dawned on me that the section can be easily bypassed by taking those two exits. There are signs on the trail where those exists are. I suppose that's an option. But on the other hand, just like anything else, I'm sure it gets easier if you keep going back to it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

You did say earlier that your legs cramped after ~4000' of climbing, so #3 might be too much, but IMHO, that's an excellent route too.
    Ok, I was fired up to do this ride, however when I told the wife were I was going solo, she about flipped. So no Skeggs this weekend. I will try and bring a buddy or hopefully hook up with an MTBR member for a Skeggs tour. I want to get out there before the rainy season!

mtbr member
    the section can be easily bypassed
    What happened to the ancient art of hikeabike?

mtbr member
    Nice work mudworm!
    You are an inspiration. Now I am inspired, but I don't think I can ever do that path in 1 day

TC
    mtbr member

skeggs revisited

haven't ridden skeggs in over a year or maybe longer.
    yesterday i left pacifica at 7am for a quick chore in the city, windshield wipers on intermittent with the drizzle picking up into a sprinkle. I left the city at 7:30 and set the controls for the heart of darkness...Skeggs...one of the darkest single track rides in the bay area when you get down to the bottom of the park!

I headed out on my chameleon for the clockwise loop:
    sierra morena to gate 3-to bear gulch gate 5-blue blossom--gordons mill.

from there, i decided to explore a bit...i headed over to Salamander for the first time ever...what an awesome trail. ran into a group at the creek and watched as (robert?) cleared it on his old hardtail with a 80mm fork (skillz!). I tried and almost cleared it (I will be BACK)!

headed up the long climb to north leaf and ecdm trail and out to complete a modified perimeter ride with my last sip of water at parking lot (which by now was completely full) just before noon.

gotta get back out there for full perimeter (hit south leaf for the first time) and enjoy the north side trails while they're open!
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

mtbr member
    Unbelievable... I'm not sure what to say...I did less than half that and was pretty tired at the end...
    (BTW anyone have an estimate of the elevation gain on the following route:
    CMO3 - Gordon Mill - Steam donkey, back up gordon mill to CM03 - CM05 - Blue Blossom, gordon mill, cross over, cross cut ... giant salamander, methuselah, North Leaf, ECDM, Resolution ... Sierra Morena CM03....I'm hoping its like ~4500 but fear it may be less than 3000)

Mudworm, sorry I would have chatted more but I knew my wife was going to kill me as I was running a little late...I felt like I just met Lance... you inspire me to eat less, bike more so one day I may be able to do one of your rides (in twice the time...)

I'm a "she".

Awww shucks...

Thanks guys for the compliments. You guys are too generous. If I can do it, anyone can. I really mean it. But of course, you have to be into this kind of thing. Not everyone is interested in riding for a few hours straight. Nothing wrong with that.
    Ok, I was fired up to do this ride, however when I told the wife were I was going solo, she about flipped.
    I hear ya (or your wife's concern). My husband says that I used to give him a hard time for riding solo too (although I don't remember). It's not a problem these days because he doesn't get to ride much even on weekends due to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    What happened to the ancient art of hikeabike?
    Don't worry, Curmy. It's still there and will always be there. I just wanted to point out the alternative -- art of bypass -- as an option, which I'm sure is performed by all of us in one form or another, for example, "fire road up and single track down" or "do the loop in this direction and not the other."
    Quote Originally Posted by TC
    the heart of darkness...Skeggs...one of the darkest single track rides in the bay area
    Oh... so true! Something about the forest spooks me out esp. at dusk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela
    BTW anyone have an estimate of the elevation gain on the following route:...I'm hoping its like ~4500 but fear it may be less than 3000
    I haven't done that route so I don't have GPS stats to show. Hmmm... my estimate...probably 5000' of climbing.
    you inspire me to eat less, bike more ...
    Huh? Eat less? Just because I look skinny does not mean I eat little. Betcha I can out eat you. Bike more... Oh, isn't that every weekend warrior's dream?

mtbr member
    Mudworm, sorry I would have chatted more but I knew my wife was going to kill me as I was running a little late...I felt like I just met Lance... you inspire me to eat less, bike more so one day I may be able to do one of your rides (in twice the time...)
    Neela, I wish you had talked with Mudworm more too.. exactly 13 minutes more would have been perfect!

mtbr member
    Ok, I was fired up to do this ride, however when I told the wife were I was going solo, she about flipped. So no Skeggs this weekend. I will try and bring a buddy or hopefully hook up with an MTBR member for a Skeggs tour. I want to get out there before the rainy season!
    For the wife, let her know that Skeggs is well populated with mountain bikers on weekends. If you were to have a disabling OTB, it would likely be less than an hour before someone comes along. Cellphones do work in some spots too.

Weekdays... not so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0