Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 81
  1. #1
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951

    Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

    Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

    Meet at the main parking lot, ready to roll at 9 a.m.

    You are not imagining things. This is, indeed, a group ride posting on the NorCal board.

    I've been wanting to do a big ride again where we rack up some miles and footies. The Everything Skeggs ride is a bit too much for me, so I thought the Skeggs Lite route would be a nice little challenge. The name is certainly deceiving, though. I think this route is anything but Lite, however, when compared to the Everything ride, it is lite. mudworm did a really nice job summarizing this route that was originally worked out by locoyokel. We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.

    Locoyokel's Lite version:
    Skeggs Everything - Oct 29

    A Mudworm's Thoughts » Mountain Biking at El Corte de Madera (aka Skeggs)

    Here's the deal. I really want to finish the ride, so I will be climbing slow and steady, and resting briefly. Anyone is welcome to join. If you need to ride your own pace, study the map and know where you are going, just in case your pace is out of sync with others. Fast guys can choose to start later, or just do bonus loops. If this amount of riding sounds ridiculous to you, there are many bail out points, too. If you want someone to suffer with, come on out! So far, I think we have at least 8 riders who are in.

    mudworm
    For those visually inclined, here is how the route goes (click for full size and follow colors green->red->blue->green):
    <a href="http://www.mudncrud.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=63311 " target="_blank"><img src="http://www.mudncrud.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=63314 &g2_serialNumber=2" /></a>

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theseawind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    546
    Oh my....

    I will be rooting for you, tburger, and those who will attempt this ride. The route looks like a suffer-fest.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.
    This scares me! I will wait out for a "Skeggs "Girlie" Group Ride".

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,280
    You can join me for only part 1 of the 4 parts to this ride. I'll be doing the lazy kid pace


    P.S. Yes...I still ride bikes....

  5. #5
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    BOOM. Ill try to make it out for this. Not sure if I will be get stuck working yet.

    And that route really is not all that hard. Worst case is you have to stop frequently go Munch on something.

    Sent by smoke signal.

  6. #6
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

    1. In.
    2. In. I'll bring donuts for pre-ride.
    3. In. I'll bring beer for post-ride.
    4. Loan shark finally caught up to me and broke both my legs. I'm out.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    so far, those are not the replies i was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

    1. In.
    2. In. I'll bring donuts for pre-ride.
    3. In. I'll bring beer for post-ride.
    4. Loan shark finally caught up to me and broke both my legs. I'm out.
    4...

  8. #8
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    #3

    Sent by smoke signal.

  9. #9
    dude with orange car
    Reputation: Plim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    When I see the all-too-rare heaving bosom of an actual ride on the NorCal board, honor dictates I pitch woo like a billy-o.







    (Like the cad I am, I shall toss her aside like soiled gloves upon a whim, rather than stand beside her until the end.)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

  10. #10
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.
    I dare you to ride something not Ibis!

  12. #12
    Wēk Sôs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

    1. In.
    2. In. I'll bring donuts for pre-ride.
    3. In. I'll bring beer for post-ride.
    4. Loan shark finally caught up to me and broke both my legs. I'm out.
    5. This is too hard.

  13. #13
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,303
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!

  14. #14
    Wēk Sôs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!
    How slow? The first lap will likely take me about 3 hours, and everyone else will be almost finished with the ride by that time.

  15. #15
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,303
    Slowish-come on out!

  16. #16
    My spoon is too big!
    Reputation: medieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    881
    In*





    * (for at least part of it)
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

  17. #17
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Yep, looks like I’m in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. I’ll bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

    The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff… not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

    Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I don’t want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry… I’m not really a d&#105;ck.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  18. #18
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yep, looks like I’m in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. I’ll bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

    The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff… not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

    Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I don’t want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry… I’m not really a dick.
    I'd say bring gears.

  19. #19
    roadie
    Reputation: modbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    745
    aww, sexual harassment panda. i'm out of town this weekend

  20. #20
    roadie
    Reputation: modbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010.
    also, i'm giving you a shock collar and putting up a fence at kennedy. just sayin'

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    434
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

    Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details

  22. #22
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike
    I'd say bring gears. If you're singlespeeding at Skeggs, you usually want to be up front on the singletrack sections so you won't get stuck behind someone and you can keep your cadence and your flow. With a larger group, you'll surely be stuck behind someone, especially since you haven't been there in a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

    Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details
    Get lots of rest Thursday and Friday and you'll be fine! I think shredchic and rho did this ride in about 5 hrs moving time at a social pace. I'm probably a tad slower than that.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikesbeerandgrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    520

    Wish I could join y'all...

    Have a great day out there and Tburger...Nelson34 will proxy for me...please bring the fat camera and take some rad pics so I can live vicariously through the captures of the day!
    Switchbaxr

  24. #24
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,303
    I have learned that taking a 5 day vacation and mostly drinking and eating doesn't not make for good training the hard way. Went out with Switch last night to STP and suffered trying not to
    slow him down too much. I will definately be slow.

  25. #25
    I'm a "she".
    Reputation: mudworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    934
    Apparently, tburger was being a sandbagger -- he is NOT a slow rider, but I know he did it out of a kind heart... to encourage everyone interested to give it a go. The route is as flexible as an Olympian gymnast and as non-committal as an ex-boy/girlfriend. So, what are you waiting for? Print out the map, study the route, and be self-reliant. Now have fun with the group on Saturday!

    Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

  26. #26
    MarkyMark
    Reputation: MarkMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,117
    IN!

  27. #27
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

    Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details
    I didn't look at your info-but I ride at a social pace-come on out!

  28. #28
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    942
    Yes
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

  29. #29
    Wēk Sôs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I have learned that taking a 5 day vacation and mostly drinking and eating doesn't not make for good training the hard way. Went out with Switch last night to STP and suffered trying not to
    slow him down too much. I will definately be slow.
    I can't make it. Wife wants to do something on Sat so no dice. I'm too slow for this any way. This route will take me 8 hours, if I'm able to make it. I test myself regularly and know that this elevation in such short mileage is a stretch for me, so no point holding everyone back and ruining their fun.

    Have a good ride. I'll ride this solo some other time, sometimes suffering is best done alone.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maleonardphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    593
    Can I just show up for the post ride beer selection Can't get out of the house until 1 or so Saturday. Have fun!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,068
    Dude, it's Marin Double C this Saturday.

  32. #32
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Apparently, tburger was being a sandbagger -- he is NOT a slow rider, but I know he did it out of a kind heart... to encourage everyone interested to give it a go.
    Ha! Yes, that's it. I sandbag 95% of my rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    The route is as flexible as an Olympian gymnast and as non-committal as an ex-boy/girlfriend. So, what are you waiting for? Print out the map, study the route, and be self-reliant. Now have fun with the group on Saturday!
    Sage advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Exactly what I was thinking! It's right around the corner!

    As Charlie would say...


    ....stare at the spinning wheel and think about it...



  33. #33
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    sometimes suffering is best done alone.
    True, but the solo drinking that follows would make me an alcoholic.

    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi View Post
    Can I just show up for the post ride beer selection Can't get out of the house until 1 or so Saturday. Have fun!
    That's how the pros do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by poff View Post
    Dude, it's Marin Double C this Saturday.
    And this concerns me, how?

    You can do the Everything Skeggs ride still! Did you knock out a triple crown this year?

  34. #34
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Those worried about making the whole ride can relax.
    Chances are what will happen is it will get hot, mechanicals will happen, and at some point 80% of us will say f**k it and go back to the parking lot to hang, eat, and drink while a few hardcore folks will power through the whole thing. Those hardcore folks will come back to warm beer and food scraps, that's just how these things go. Unless the hardcore riders are the ones with all the food/beer.

  35. #35
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Hmmmm go hardcore or have food/beer. I SAY BOTH.

  36. #36
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    aww, sexual harassment panda. I'm out of town this weekend
    lol!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  37. #37
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Hmmmm go hardcore or have food/beer. I SAY BOTH.
    This makes perfect sense to me.

    So, on the anonymous advice regarding my singlespeed, I’ll leave the lightweight 32 pound singlespeed at home, and instead bring the fully-geared 38 pound fatbike. I don’t want to hear any b&#105;tching or whining about it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ratpick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,130
    I'm doing a roadie ride (Mt Shasta) or I'd very much be there.. without South Leaf and lower Gordon Mill on the route, I'd like to give this route a go on a CX bike.. I have no idea why except it sounds hard!

  39. #39
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    I'm doing a roadie ride (Mt Shasta) or I'd very much be there.. without South Leaf and lower Gordon Mill on the route, I'd like to give this route a go on a CX bike.. I have no idea why except it sounds hard!
    I'd say that it should be doableish on a cx bike, aside from south leaf.... When we rode it a few weeks ago it was pretty chewed up and dusty/rocky.

  40. #40
    Totally, and to the max.
    Reputation: K-max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,531
    Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it.

    I will be on a bicycle with tires. You can't miss me.

  41. #41
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max View Post
    Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it.

    I will be on a bicycle with tires. You can't miss me.
    It will be mega-rad if you show up. Haven’t ridden with you since one of the Bike Party rides way back in 2010.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  42. #42
    Totally, and to the max.
    Reputation: K-max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,531
    I know, right? All depends on whether or not my wife takes the kids away for the weekend, but it's leaning heavily that way. Looking to throw the gauntlet down, so if anyone wants to push the pace, maybe we can have a "race back to the beer" group.

  43. #43
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Okay, we're looking good for tomorrow. We'll probably have morning fog, and very nice temps. I expect trail conditions to be awesome. The parking lot is the coldest spot, so I guarantee you will be shedding clothes very quickly once we get started. If you don't want to lug extra clothes around the whole day, just deal with being a little cold in the morning. Download the map below and save it to your smart phone. It's an easy way to have a map handy in case you don't remember the turns. We'll be in a conga line, so we just need to make sure the rider behind you knows which way to turn. Since we have a decent number of riders, we'll save re-groups and longer snack breaks for the wider fire road intersections.

    I heard there's going to be a MeetUp group ride starting later, so hopefully, we'll be spaced out far enough that we won't cross paths repeatedly with them. Please also keep in mind that Skeggs can get busy on the weekends, and all the trails are 2-way trails. So be extra careful around blind corners.

    See you all tomorrow!

    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
    For those visually inclined, here is how the route goes (click for full size and follow colors green->red->blue->green):
    <a href="http://www.mudncrud.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=63311 " target="_blank"><img src="http://www.mudncrud.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=63314 &g2_serialNumber=2" /></a>

  44. #44
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    So is this going to be a certified “eat food and drink beer afterward” sort of event? What should I bring? Of course I plan on bringing my cooler and ice, so plenty of beer.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  45. #45
    ~~~
    Reputation: tburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    So is this going to be a certified “eat food and drink beer afterward” sort of event? What should I bring? Of course I plan on bringing my cooler and ice, so plenty of beer.
    Anything is fair game. I'm going to the market to get some Dave's Killer Bread for my PBJ sandwiches, so I'll bring the rest of the loaf and some salami for post ride. And a couple of good beers.

  46. #46
    Totally, and to the max.
    Reputation: K-max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    So is this going to be a certified “eat food and drink beer afterward” sort of event? What should I bring? Of course I plan on bringing my cooler and ice, so plenty of beer.
    I'd say HELLS YES. Otherwise, we should be slapped and banned from mtn. bikes.

  47. #47
    Hipster
    Reputation: mboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    326
    I'll be there!

    -Marco

  48. #48
    More pie please
    Reputation: Skyline35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Exactly what I was thinking! It's right around the corner!

    As Charlie would say...


    ....stare at the spinning wheel and think about it...


    Thank you for your promotional efforts here; to show my appreciation I will take a few hours out of my busy, important life and join your little event for a few miles.

    :-)









    Need to be back at the car by 2.
    ///Charlie

  49. #49
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    I've got donuts.
    They got king of squished on the ride home in my backpack, and Shiloh is already picking at them.

  50. #50
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,155
    Hope I got it right, you can download this to your GPS
    <iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1532498/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla --- Savvy Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •