~~~

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

Meet at the main parking lot, ready to roll at 9 a.m.

You are not imagining things. This is, indeed, a group ride posting on the NorCal board.

I've been wanting to do a big ride again where we rack up some miles and footies. The Everything Skeggs ride is a bit too much for me, so I thought the Skeggs Lite route would be a nice little challenge. The name is certainly deceiving, though. I think this route is anything but Lite, however, when compared to the Everything ride, it is lite. mudworm did a really nice job summarizing this route that was originally worked out by locoyokel. We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.

Locoyokel's Lite version:
    Skeggs Everything - Oct 29

A Mudworm's Thoughts » Mountain Biking at El Corte de Madera (aka Skeggs)

Here's the deal. I really want to finish the ride, so I will be climbing slow and steady, and resting briefly. Anyone is welcome to join. If you need to ride your own pace, study the map and know where you are going, just in case your pace is out of sync with others. Fast guys can choose to start later, or just do bonus loops. If this amount of riding sounds ridiculous to you, there are many bail out points, too. If you want someone to suffer with, come on out! So far, I think we have at least 8 riders who are in.

mudworm
    For those visually inclined, here is how the route goes (click for full size and follow colors green->red->blue->green):

mtbr member
    Oh my....

I will be rooting for you, tburger, and those who will attempt this ride. The route looks like a suffer-fest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.
    This scares me! I will wait out for a "Skeggs "Girlie" Group Ride".

mtbr member
    You can join me for only part 1 of the 4 parts to this ride. I'll be doing the lazy kid pace

P.S. Yes...I still ride bikes....

rho
    Life is strange
    BOOM. Ill try to make it out for this. Not sure if I will be get stuck working yet.

And that route really is not all that hard. Worst case is you have to stop frequently go Munch on something.

Sent by smoke signal.

~~~
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.
    2. In. I'll bring donuts for pre-ride.
    3. In. I'll bring beer for post-ride.
    4. Loan shark finally caught up to me and broke both my legs. I'm out.

mtbr member
    so far, those are not the replies i was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.

rho
    Life is strange

Sent by smoke signal.

dude with orange car
    When I see the all-too-rare heaving bosom of an actual ride on the NorCal board, honor dictates I pitch woo like a billy-o.

(Like the cad I am, I shall toss her aside like soiled gloves upon a whim, rather than stand beside her until the end.)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

aka dan51
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.
    I dare you to ride something not Ibis!

Wēk Sôs
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.
    5. This is too hard.

Puro Vida!
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!
    How slow? The first lap will likely take me about 3 hours, and everyone else will be almost finished with the ride by that time.

Puro Vida!
    Slowish-come on out!

My spoon is too big!
    In*

* (for at least part of it)
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

PRETENDURO
    Yep, looks like I’m in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. I’ll bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff… not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I don’t want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry… I’m not really a dick.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yep, looks like I’m in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. I’ll bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff… not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I don’t want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry… I’m not really a dick.
    I'd say bring gears.

roadie
    aww, sexual harassment panda. i'm out of town this weekend

roadie
    I’ve only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010.
    also, i'm giving you a shock collar and putting up a fence at kennedy. just sayin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details

~~~
    should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike
    I'd say bring gears. If you're singlespeeding at Skeggs, you usually want to be up front on the singletrack sections so you won't get stuck behind someone and you can keep your cadence and your flow. With a larger group, you'll surely be stuck behind someone, especially since you haven't been there in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

Get lots of rest Thursday and Friday and you'll be fine! I think shredchic and rho did this ride in about 5 hrs moving time at a social pace. I'm probably a tad slower than that.

mtbr member

Wish I could join y'all...

Have a great day out there and Tburger...Nelson34 will proxy for me...please bring the fat camera and take some rad pics so I can live vicariously through the captures of the day!
    Switchbaxr

Puro Vida!
    I have learned that taking a 5 day vacation and mostly drinking and eating doesn't not make for good training the hard way. Went out with Switch last night to STP and suffered trying not to
    slow him down too much. I will definately be slow.

I'm a "she".
    Apparently, tburger was being a sandbagger -- he is NOT a slow rider, but I know he did it out of a kind heart... to encourage everyone interested to give it a go. The route is as flexible as an Olympian gymnast and as non-committal as an ex-boy/girlfriend. So, what are you waiting for? Print out the map, study the route, and be self-reliant. Now have fun with the group on Saturday!

Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

MarkyMark
    IN!

Puro Vida!

I didn't look at your info-but I ride at a social pace-come on out!

rj2
    mtbr member
    Yes
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I have learned that taking a 5 day vacation and mostly drinking and eating doesn't not make for good training the hard way. Went out with Switch last night to STP and suffered trying not to
    slow him down too much. I will definately be slow.
    I can't make it. Wife wants to do something on Sat so no dice. I'm too slow for this any way. This route will take me 8 hours, if I'm able to make it. I test myself regularly and know that this elevation in such short mileage is a stretch for me, so no point holding everyone back and ruining their fun.

Have a good ride. I'll ride this solo some other time, sometimes suffering is best done alone.

mtbr member
    Can I just show up for the post ride beer selection Can't get out of the house until 1 or so Saturday. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dude, it's Marin Double C this Saturday.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Apparently, tburger was being a sandbagger -- he is NOT a slow rider, but I know he did it out of a kind heart... to encourage everyone interested to give it a go.
    Ha! Yes, that's it. I sandbag 95% of my rides.

The route is as flexible as an Olympian gymnast and as non-committal as an ex-boy/girlfriend. So, what are you waiting for? Print out the map, study the route, and be self-reliant. Now have fun with the group on Saturday!
    Sage advice.

Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Exactly what I was thinking! It's right around the corner!

As Charlie would say...

....stare at the spinning wheel and think about it...

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    sometimes suffering is best done alone.
    True, but the solo drinking that follows would make me an alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi View Post
    Can I just show up for the post ride beer selection Can't get out of the house until 1 or so Saturday. Have fun!
    That's how the pros do it.

Quote Originally Posted by poff View Post
    Dude, it's Marin Double C this Saturday.
    And this concerns me, how?

You can do the Everything Skeggs ride still! Did you knock out a triple crown this year?

aka dan51
    Those worried about making the whole ride can relax.
    Chances are what will happen is it will get hot, mechanicals will happen, and at some point 80% of us will say f**k it and go back to the parking lot to hang, eat, and drink while a few hardcore folks will power through the whole thing. Those hardcore folks will come back to warm beer and food scraps, that's just how these things go. Unless the hardcore riders are the ones with all the food/beer.

rho
    Life is strange
    Hmmmm go hardcore or have food/beer. I SAY BOTH.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    aww, sexual harassment panda. I'm out of town this weekend
    lol!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Hmmmm go hardcore or have food/beer. I SAY BOTH.
    This makes perfect sense to me.

So, on the anonymous advice regarding my singlespeed, I’ll leave the lightweight 32 pound singlespeed at home, and instead bring the fully-geared 38 pound fatbike. I don’t want to hear any bitching or whining about it.

mtbr member
    I'm doing a roadie ride (Mt Shasta) or I'd very much be there.. without South Leaf and lower Gordon Mill on the route, I'd like to give this route a go on a CX bike.. I have no idea why except it sounds hard!

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    I'm doing a roadie ride (Mt Shasta) or I'd very much be there.. without South Leaf and lower Gordon Mill on the route, I'd like to give this route a go on a CX bike.. I have no idea why except it sounds hard!
    I'd say that it should be doableish on a cx bike, aside from south leaf.... When we rode it a few weeks ago it was pretty chewed up and dusty/rocky.

Totally, and to the max.
    Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it.

I will be on a bicycle with tires. You can't miss me.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max View Post
    Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it.

I will be on a bicycle with tires. You can't miss me.
    It will be mega-rad if you show up. Haven’t ridden with you since one of the Bike Party rides way back in 2010.

Totally, and to the max.
    I know, right? All depends on whether or not my wife takes the kids away for the weekend, but it's leaning heavily that way. Looking to throw the gauntlet down, so if anyone wants to push the pace, maybe we can have a "race back to the beer" group.

~~~
    Okay, we're looking good for tomorrow. We'll probably have morning fog, and very nice temps. I expect trail conditions to be awesome. The parking lot is the coldest spot, so I guarantee you will be shedding clothes very quickly once we get started. If you don't want to lug extra clothes around the whole day, just deal with being a little cold in the morning. Download the map below and save it to your smart phone. It's an easy way to have a map handy in case you don't remember the turns. We'll be in a conga line, so we just need to make sure the rider behind you knows which way to turn. Since we have a decent number of riders, we'll save re-groups and longer snack breaks for the wider fire road intersections.

I heard there's going to be a MeetUp group ride starting later, so hopefully, we'll be spaced out far enough that we won't cross paths repeatedly with them. Please also keep in mind that Skeggs can get busy on the weekends, and all the trails are 2-way trails. So be extra careful around blind corners.

See you all tomorrow!

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
    For those visually inclined, here is how the route goes (click for full size and follow colors green->red->blue->green):

PRETENDURO
    So is this going to be a certified “eat food and drink beer afterward” sort of event? What should I bring? Of course I plan on bringing my cooler and ice, so plenty of beer.

~~~
    So is this going to be a certified “eat food and drink beer afterward” sort of event? What should I bring? Of course I plan on bringing my cooler and ice, so plenty of beer.
    Anything is fair game. I'm going to the market to get some Dave's Killer Bread for my PBJ sandwiches, so I'll bring the rest of the loaf and some salami for post ride. And a couple of good beers.

Totally, and to the max.
    I'd say HELLS YES. Otherwise, we should be slapped and banned from mtn. bikes.

Hipster
    I'll be there!

-Marco

More pie please
    Exactly what I was thinking! It's right around the corner!

As Charlie would say...

....stare at the spinning wheel and think about it...

Thank you for your promotional efforts here; to show my appreciation I will take a few hours out of my busy, important life and join your little event for a few miles.

:-)

Need to be back at the car by 2.
    ///Charlie

aka dan51
    I've got donuts.
    They got king of squished on the ride home in my backpack, and Shiloh is already picking at them.

Natural body armor
    Hope I got it right, you can download this to your GPS
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

I like mtn biking, too
    Dang. Sorry I missed out! Such a fun route.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Natural body armor
    Thanks Tburger for organizing and the big group of riders for making this a fun event.
    I really need more of this type of rides, thanks!!

Sorry I had to bail, probably missed some food and beer
    ZT

"There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

rho
    Life is strange
    Good riding with everyone today!
    I skipped out on the last resolution/ ecdm loop because my legs were ded.

Totally, and to the max.
    Bummed I couldn't make (ended up working all day) but looks like you guys had a good ride. And it's about time a group ride is posted in the GNAR*CAL forum. We gotta do more of that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone know where one can view the pictures that were taken during this ride?

I'm a "she".
    Does anyone know where one can view the pictures that were taken during this ride?
    I believe people upload them to www.p a t i e n c e.com . Since I missed the fun in person, I've been hitting F5 on that page every second all night.

I'm sure folks will post their photos here once they get to it. That's the tradition.

~~~
    Great ride, everyone! I was really surprised by the turnout. I think we had 16 riders at the start. We even picked up a rider along the way. I think a few times today, someone asked, "Oh, are you guys doing that Skeggs Lite ride?". This ride may have to become a tradition. (Maybe the Descender's Delight version, anyway).

The weather was perfect today for an epic mtb ride in the woods. There was consistent fog cover, but the temps were warm enough, or there was enough climbing for one to be comfortable without layers of clothing. It also meant we didn't have to worry about burning through gallons of water. The group was great at keeping a good pace throughout the ride. A few bailed early, several more had to bail after 2/3 due to time constraints, and 5 of us ended up doing the complete ride. (mboldt, mark, porkstacker, michael1 and myself). Even though the parking lot was packed with riders and hikers by 9 a.m., we hardly ran into anyone else throughout the day. It was just sporadic 2-way traffic with a few solo hikers.

We pretty much did the route as posted above, except we wanted to maximize singletrack, so we dropped in off Star Hill Rd before CM08. The total mileage on my Garmin ended up being 25.5 miles with 5,885 ft.

Skyline35, MarkMass, rho, Leopold Porkstacker, mboldt, mbyard, Smilerz, rj2, d-bug, The Law, michael1, Paige, Mark, Pierre, Alex, David, and then we picked up Trace on a Trance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0654.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0656.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0657.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0660.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0669.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0674.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0676.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0681.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0682.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0684.jpg  

~~~
    A few more pics. Skyline35's better pics will be coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0687.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0688.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0690.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0691.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0693.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0694.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0695.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0697.jpg  

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-img_0700.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.

MarkyMark
    The weather held out (cloudy, overcast) for a nice long ride at Skeggs with about a dozen other riders. The trails were primo and we didn't really run into the big meetup group who were hiking there. I passed them as I was climbing out on ECdM and a few of them were struggling like me.

I made some adjustments to my route: I added the rest of Fir and Tafoni (toward the parking lot) after the Manzanita/Timberview/Methusaleh and climbed (mostly walked and pushed) up Lower Fir instead of going up Methuselah for the second time. Methusaleh is one of my least favorite climbs at Skeggs so I took the only other option. My legs were fried after Lower Fir, as expected, and I recovered a bit after dropping down Resolution. I was in survival mode as I started the long climb up ECdM.

It was nice meeting everyone and seeing some familiar faces. It's been far too long since I've been one a group ride. I was the guy on the blue SC Blur with the red Fox jersey, if we didn't get introduced. Sorry for taking off at the top of Manzanita and again at North Leaf. I need to ride at my pace and I was cooling off a bit too much during the regroups.

Thanks again to Tburger for proposing and organizing the ride. Big props to Marco and the others single-speeders.

Adding track on Strava:
    Last edited by MarkMass; 08-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.

aka dan51
    That was fun.
    Bummed we had to bail early, though I think it was a good idea since I was super low on water.

PRETENDURO
    Was a great day! Lots of nice people, great trails, weather was just about perfect, and the beer afterward was excellent!

I'm a "she".
    weather was just about perfect
    You guys lucked out. It's been dripping on the coastal side today and I can imagine that Skeggs (esp. certain spots) is worse.

More pie please
    What It Was Like Out There™:

Low light so not good for action shots. Only ones not blurred were from the
    Manzanita 180ťş....sorry for the repetition but let's look at the group's form
    and see who has been paying attention to the Cornering Clinic thread

MarkMass

??? [edit, Pierre from SLO]

rho

Zen_Turtle

Paige

ssdoc

The Law

d-bug fka dan51

medieval

??? [edit Alex from SLO]

Smilerz

tburger

And a few random scenes from the day…

The Law offers donuts to the hiking group:

Hard to believe everyone looks so tired after riding ľ miles:

The Man of the Day, Ride Tyrant, and photographer:

Dan shows he can ride the Resolution Root even with his head cut-off:

End of the day for my bail-out group:

Biggest possible Thank You to tburger for posting a group ride invite on mtbr and for
    trying to herd us in the right direction, not the easiest thing!!!—there was a wide range of
    abilities, pace, and familiarization with ECdM. Congratulations to those who completed
    the Everything Lite route.

It was the best-est kind of day; good fun and good company on the trails.

///Charlie

Last edited by Skyline35; 08-06-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Make corrections to the names

I like mtn biking, too
    Woah, who brought the Pugsley?
    Nice cornering form, Law & Dan!
    Nice bike, ZT! Totally enjoying my version of the same.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Wēk Sôs
    it looks like a stellar ride. i noticed some differences in routing choices compared to the original route.

Wēk Sôs
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Woah, who brought the Pugsley?
    Do you mean the fat bike? It's a 9:zero:7 fatfukk, ridden by local masochist, Leopold Porkstacker.

I like mtn biking, too
    Do you mean the fat bike? It's a 9:zero:7 fatfukk, ridden by local masochist, Leopold Porkstacker.
    Oh, that's something new to me. And, of course it was LP! Way to go, looks like fun!
    ~Fairfaxian

~~~
    it looks like a stellar ride. i noticed some differences in routing choices compared to the original route.
    A few folks who had to bail early decided to take Resolution instead of Tafoni on our way down to the Leafs. The other change was taking the singletrack back and minimizing the ride on Star Hill Rd. mboldt and porkstacker got a late start due to not having enough Stans in mboldt's car tire, so they finished Blue Blossom just as we finished descending Lower Steam Donkey. Porkstacker, craving more footies, climbed L. Donkey while we waited for one of the guys to fix a flat.

Here's my strava track.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Skeggs Lite near Redwood City | Times and Records | Strava

Last edited by tburger; 08-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.

My spoon is too big!
    Nice pics, Peter and Charlie. That really was a fun ride, despite my incorrect bke selection. Thanks for posting and organizing, Peter. It reminds me of the old days, when there were half a dozen group rides to choose from each weekend.

-mike
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    What a great time. I'm sorry I was only able to do half the ride but I had a great time. Thanks to tburger for organizing the ride and assembling a great cast of characters. I have such a fun time on the group rides. There is such a wide range of skill levels and age groups, but everyone is respectful of all and it makes for a great experience. Thanks to tburger and Charlie for all the excellent photos. I hope to be able to do the full Skeggs Lite someday.

PRETENDURO
    You guys lucked out. It's been dripping on the coastal side today and I can imagine that Skeggs (esp. certain spots) is worse.
    “Dripping”? That’s the makings of hero dirt. Getting muddy is OK by me as long as hero dirt is involved.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Oh, that's something new to me. And, of course it was LP! Way to go, looks like fun!
    I think Newton meant mashochist… big ring mashing is required for keeping all 16 pounds 10 ounces of rotating mass (front and rear wheels+tires+tubes+spokes+hubs+Stan’sgoop) moving. It’s like carrying unnecessary flywheels with me on every ride… or as some people say, I bring a spare bike with me. Yeah, I am always somehow the weirdo on all the group rides. I am told that my company was fun to be had during the beer drinking afterward though.

I'm a "she".
    “Dripping”? That’s the makings of hero dirt. Getting muddy is OK by me as long as hero dirt is involved.
    I thought it was hero that makes hero dirt.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    I need to ride at my pace and I was cooling off a bit too much during the regroups.
    Yep, that's what you gotta do! I stiffen up when stopped too long, and that makes the fireroad grinds way harder. Thanks for leading out the faster guys, too.

That was fun.
    Bummed we had to bail early, though I think it was a good idea since I was super low on water.
    Nice job conquering the Resolution Root

Some moisture would have been great. The trails were actually a bit too dusty, especially S. Leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post

???
    Pierre from SLO.

Alex from SLO.
    ???

Biggest possible Thank You to tburger for posting a group ride invite on mtbr and for
    trying to herd us in the right direction not the easiest thing!!!—there was a wide range of
    abilities, pace, and familiarization with ECdM. Congratulations to those who completed
    the Everything Lite route.
    Thanks Charlie, but this was an easy laid back group, and I've ridden with all but a few of the folks. It pretty much came down to me wanting to ride this route, and if anyone else wanted to:
    a) Wait for me
    b) Follow me
    c) None of the above

Quote Originally Posted by medieval View Post
    Nice pics, Peter and Charlie. That really was a fun ride, despite my incorrect bke selection. Thanks for posting and organizing, Peter. It reminds me of the old days, when there were half a dozen group rides to choose from each weekend.

-mike
    Next time, bring your electric DH bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    What a great time. I'm sorry I was only able to do half the ride but I had a great time. Thanks to tburger for organizing the ride and assembling a great cast of characters. I have such a fun time on the group rides. There is such a wide range of skill levels and age groups, but everyone is respectful of all and it makes for a great experience. Thanks to tburger and Charlie for all the excellent photos. I hope to be able to do the full Skeggs Lite someday.
    Don't sell yourself short! If you plan accordingly for a big ride, you'll be surprised at how much you can do. Plus, if you get a 29er, you'll cover more distance per pedal stroke, so you only have to pedal like 10 miles to cover 20 miles.

Yeah, I am always somehow the weirdo on all the group rides. I am told that my company was fun to be had during the beer drinking afterward though.
    I don't know about fun, but I somehow feel the need to drink more beer in your presence.

~~~

Awesome. 45+ miles of Skeggs in the same week.

More pie please
    Pierre from SLO
    Alex from SLO
    Thanks for the missing names, I edited my post. Pierre is very good and a lot of fun to watch (for those few moments that I could keep him within eyesight).

Now, recommend to me a flavor of Dave's Killer Bread. I see my local Safeway stocks it. I want to smile like that when I eat my PBJ sandwich!

///Charlie

Last edited by Skyline35; 08-06-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added another picture

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Now, recommend to me a flavor of Dave's Killer Bread. I see my local Safeway stocks it. I want to smile like that when I eat my PBJ sandwich!

///Charlie
    This could lead to a whole 'nother OT discussion

IMO, and I think d-bug agrees, the order for the DKB that is available down here is:

Green/Yellow > Blue > Red

The real way to do it is to make a bike trip to Oregon, and then stock up on the Brown (Nuts & Grain). d-bug and rox were wrestling for the last loaves of it in Bend.

aka dan51
    This could lead to a whole 'nother OT discussion

IMO, and I think d-bug agrees, the order for the DKB that is available down here is:

The real way to do it is to make a bike trip to Oregon, and then stock up on the Brown (Nuts & Grain). d-bug and rox were wrestling for the last loaves of it in Bend.
    tburger gets it!That is the appropriate order.
    Though Blue is real good too, it may be a 3 way tie for first. The Red is not worth buying IMO.
    Brown is currently the best, but gotta travel to Oregon to get it. Maybe we'll pick some up on the way to/from Whistler...
    Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4-daves.jpg

Wēk Sôs
    tburger gets it!That is the appropriate order.
    Though Blue is real good too, it may be a 3 way tie for first. The Red is not worth buying IMO.
    How about Purple? Seriously, which pill again?

Mail Order It!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Peter- Thanks for hosting the ride and the beer and muchies afterward. It is great having such a good crew to explore a park with that I do not get to ride very often. Also thanks for the advice/recommendations about Bend.

mark

PRETENDURO
    I thought it was hero that makes hero dirt.
    Usually a 90% rider 10% dirt formula I think. I always somehow end up doing it all backward though.

Members who have read this thread: 0