Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ~~~

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

Skeggs "Lite" Group Ride, Saturday 8/4

Meet at the main parking lot, ready to roll at 9 a.m.

You are not imagining things. This is, indeed, a group ride posting on the NorCal board.

I've been wanting to do a big ride again where we rack up some miles and footies. The Everything Skeggs ride is a bit too much for me, so I thought the Skeggs Lite route would be a nice little challenge. The name is certainly deceiving, though. I think this route is anything but Lite, however, when compared to the Everything ride, it is lite. mudworm did a really nice job summarizing this route that was originally worked out by locoyokel. We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.

Locoyokel's Lite version:
    Skeggs Everything - Oct 29

A Mudworm's Thoughts Mountain Biking at El Corte de Madera (aka Skeggs)

Here's the deal. I really want to finish the ride, so I will be climbing slow and steady, and resting briefly. Anyone is welcome to join. If you need to ride your own pace, study the map and know where you are going, just in case your pace is out of sync with others. Fast guys can choose to start later, or just do bonus loops. If this amount of riding sounds ridiculous to you, there are many bail out points, too. If you want someone to suffer with, come on out! So far, I think we have at least 8 riders who are in.

mudworm
    For those visually inclined, here is how the route goes (click for full size and follow colors green->red->blue->green):

mtbr member
    Oh my....

I will be rooting for you, tburger, and those who will attempt this ride. The route looks like a suffer-fest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    We're looking at 27 miles, 6,735 ft.
    This scares me! I will wait out for a "Skeggs "Girlie" Group Ride".

mtbr member
    You can join me for only part 1 of the 4 parts to this ride. I'll be doing the lazy kid pace

P.S. Yes...I still ride bikes....

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    BOOM. Ill try to make it out for this. Not sure if I will be get stuck working yet.

And that route really is not all that hard. Worst case is you have to stop frequently go Munch on something.

Sent by smoke signal.

~~~
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.
    2. In. I'll bring donuts for pre-ride.
    3. In. I'll bring beer for post-ride.
    4. Loan shark finally caught up to me and broke both my legs. I'm out.

mtbr member
    so far, those are not the replies i was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Sent by smoke signal.

dude with orange car
    When I see the all-too-rare heaving bosom of an actual ride on the NorCal board, honor dictates I pitch woo like a billy-o.

(Like the cad I am, I shall toss her aside like soiled gloves upon a whim, rather than stand beside her until the end.)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

aka dan51
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    In! I won't be bringing beer or d-nutz.
    Now I have a first world problem of deciding which bike to bring.
    I dare you to ride something not Ibis!

Wēk Ss
    So far, those are not the replies I was hoping for. Here, let me help. You may choose one of the following responses:

1. In.
    5. This is too hard.

Puro Vida!
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I think Leopold and I are in-ill be riding slowly if any other TSP want to join in!
    How slow? The first lap will likely take me about 3 hours, and everyone else will be almost finished with the ride by that time.

Puro Vida!
    Slowish-come on out!

My spoon is too big!
    In*

* (for at least part of it)
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

NONDURO
    Yep, looks like Im in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. Ill bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? Ive only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I dont want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry Im not really a dick.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yep, looks like Im in. Carpooling with mr. Nelson34. Ill bring some beers and a cooler. Hoping he and I can stop somewhere on the way to get some chorizo breakfast burritos on the way there.

The real question I have, though, is: should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike (26"x3.8" tires on 2.5" wide DH rims)? Ive only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010. I am trying to remember if there is any truly steep stuff not that that would stop me though on the 32x20 gearing on the SS bike.

Although I want to complete the entire amount of climbing, I dont want to leave the guy who drives me there high and dry Im not really a dick.
    I'd say bring gears.

roadie
    aww, sexual harassment panda. i'm out of town this weekend

roadie
    Ive only been to el Corte de Madera Open Space Preserve once, and it was back in early 2010.
    also, i'm giving you a shock collar and putting up a fence at kennedy. just sayin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details

~~~
    should I bring my 34 pound fully rigid singlespeed, or my 38 pound fully rigid fully geared fatbike
    I'd say bring gears. If you're singlespeeding at Skeggs, you usually want to be up front on the singletrack sections so you won't get stuck behind someone and you can keep your cadence and your flow. With a larger group, you'll surely be stuck behind someone, especially since you haven't been there in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I did a ride similar to this today, but shorter. I might want to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep up considering how long the ride I did today took me. Could someone take a look at the track of my ride and let me know if my pace is fast enough to go on the group ride.

Skeggs Descender's Delight by mchapiro at Garmin Connect - Details
    Get lots of rest Thursday and Friday and you'll be fine! I think shredchic and rho did this ride in about 5 hrs moving time at a social pace. I'm probably a tad slower than that.

mtbr member

Wish I could join y'all...

Have a great day out there and Tburger...Nelson34 will proxy for me...please bring the fat camera and take some rad pics so I can live vicariously through the captures of the day!
    Switchbaxr

Puro Vida!
    I have learned that taking a 5 day vacation and mostly drinking and eating doesn't not make for good training the hard way. Went out with Switch last night to STP and suffered trying not to
    slow him down too much. I will definately be slow.

I'm a "she".
    Apparently, tburger was being a sandbagger -- he is NOT a slow rider, but I know he did it out of a kind heart... to encourage everyone interested to give it a go. The route is as flexible as an Olympian gymnast and as non-committal as an ex-boy/girlfriend. So, what are you waiting for? Print out the map, study the route, and be self-reliant. Now have fun with the group on Saturday!

Oh, I think this route makes a good training ride for Skyline35's Labor Day weekend Skeggs>>HMB>>Skeggs ride, which I'm sure all of you are joining, right?
    Inch by inch, I will get there! (See my rides and stuff here.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast