mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Skeggs - Giant Salamander Trail Work Status?

After reading the other thread regarding trail work at Skeggs on the 12th of this month I got to thinking about the status of the Giant Salamander trail work. Does anyone know when the trail work on the lower section will be complete and when the trail will re-open? I like this trail as it opens up lots of variations on route options within the park as I use it to go between the north and south ends of the park. The notice pubished on the trail head boards state that it wil re-open summer 2008. Anyone have an inside line on a better approximation when during the summer it might re-open?

With the new South Leaf section I'm thinking about new loops that start at the lower entrance (CM08), down South Leaf to Viginia Mill, up Lawerance Creek, Blue Blossom, Gordon Mill, Cross-over, Cross-cut, Timberview, Giant Salamander, Methuselah to CM08.

Cheers,

Hans

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by factemp
    After reading the other thread regarding trail work at Skeggs on the 12th of this month I got to thinking about the status of the Giant Salamander trail work. Does anyone know when the trail work on the lower section will be complete and when the trail will re-open? I like this trail as it opens up lots of variations on route options within the park as I use it to go between the north and south ends of the park. The notice pubished on the trail head boards state that it wil re-open summer 2008. Anyone have an inside line on a better approximation when during the summer it might re-open?

With the new South Leaf section I'm thinking about new loops that start at the lower entrance (CM08), down South Leaf to Viginia Mill, up Lawerance Creek, Blue Blossom, Gordon Mill, Cross-over, Cross-cut, Timberview, Giant Salamander, Methuselah to CM08.

Cheers,

Hans

Still closed as of last Sat.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I'm sure that when it opens, it's going to be nice and "sterilized"....seems typical of trails nowadays. Widen and flatten them cuz you know how we don't like any rocks/roots/bumps in our way.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Upset Still closed

Was just there this past weekend also. I did get the chance to ride Giant Salamander at the beginning of the year (or was it the end of last?) when it was just open briefly. They rerouted that last steep climb out to Timberview and replaced it with some groomed and twisty singletrack that just connected back up to a lower section on Timberview . Yeah, definitely less technical but it was a welcome change for me to avoid huffing through the last part of that climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Still closed as of a few hours ago - and there's a lot of supplies stacked next to the fence at the lower end.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't get your hopes up anytime soon. They are just starting to pour the footings for what looks to be a pretty long bridge over the creek. I'd be surprised if it opened before winter, just in time to close again.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by kuuk
    Don't get your hopes up anytime soon. They are just starting to pour the footings for what looks to be a pretty long bridge over the creek. I'd be surprised if it opened before winter, just in time to close again.
    Saw them towing a concrete mixer this evening. Hoping it is open soon ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No time soon - their website now says it will reopen Fall 2008:

The Giant Salamander Trail will be closed to all users beginning August 14, 2007 due to trail construction and restoration. The Giant Salamander Trail is expected to re-open in the fall of 2008. Please plan all routes accordingly.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kuuk

Thank God they are putting in a bridge.

It use to be such a pain to ride over that section previously. I think this bridge is one of the best uses of tax dollars that I have ever seen. Anyone know how much it cost?

Can't wait to ride it. It will really be something to look forward to. Even if we have to wait another year for it to get opened it will have been worth it. The trail tread really needs to season in that the lower area for it ever to be sustainable.

Hopefully they will have some obstacles on the bridge to keep the speed down while crossing because it could be easy to get going more than 15 MPH across it.

How about calling the new middle leaf section- Middle Leaf?

~~~~~~~
    that middle leaf trail sucks. its so hard to break the 15 mph limit. i think they should widen it and smooth it. the wider, the smoother, the safer. right? just as long as folks keep their speeds down.

bridge and trail won't be done till august or september according to the MPROSD ranger i talked to.

Rides advocacy Trailwork
    Those fiberglass bridges are really expense - like $100,000+, but they make the fishes happy. I'd be pretty bummed if I couldn't spawn . . . wait a sec! I better get busy!
    Responsible Organized Mountain Pedalers
    Advocating for Mtn Bikers in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties
    http://www.romp.org

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    I'm sure that when it opens, it's going to be nice and "sterilized"....seems typical of trails nowadays. Widen and flatten them cuz you know how we don't like any rocks/roots/bumps in our way.
    It is done for folks like me. When I'm out hiking, and the trail has roots and rocks, or any type of uneveness, I write a nasty letter to the trail maint org and complain big time. I hate being put out by anything when I'm out hiking enjoying nature. I also hate steep trails, or ones that have any climbing to them. I've found that it is easy to slip or turn your ankle if the ground is too rough or rocky, and I don't like that. I want to be as safe as possible when I hike.