Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skeggs or Demo?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Skeggs or Demo?

My buddies and I want to try something different. We usually do stuff in the North Bay like China Camp, Tamarancho, Annadel and Rockville. We have never been to either Skeggs or Demo (I know almost sacrilegious coming from someone on mtbr). Any way, based on forum posts Iíve seen, I suggest we try Skeggs first and at later point in the year we try Demo. Another friend - based on comments from some guy we met at Downieville.- suggests we do Demo,

Which one should we try first and why? Any input is much appreciated!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Depends on how much driving you want to do.

Demo has more "stunts", Skeggs has (probably) more square mileage of trails, and radar guns.

aka dan51
    Demo. No radar, no hikers, pretty much everyone going in the same direction too.
    Can't really go wrong with either though. Both are fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    A few of my buddies from Marin and SF will be at Demo on Saturday. I live in SF and ride Skeggs a lot, Demo is still a treat for me cause it's definitely further. I've been stoked about heading down there all week. I personally think Demo is way more fun that Skeggs although Skeggs is way more fun than anything in Marin that is legal!

I'd sum it up like this. If your crew is downhill oriented - Demo. XC/climbing oriented - Skeggs. Both really beautiful places to ride!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Skeggs: Wide range of terrain. Some of the fun are the climbs, a lot are rollie and some of the single track is swoopy. Don't get me wrong, there are some long climbs too, but they can be broken up somewhat during the ride. If you have a gps you can load this in. It covers 36 miles or 98% of the trails. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10969891 You can also loop in Purisima if you guys are feeling strong and get two places in one day. Tail maps are available at CM01 as well as a few other gates. And it is closer to the North Bay.

DEMO: If your ideal riding style is a shuttle ride, choose DEMO. The people who built the trails do a great job of providing a ton of downhill runs with relatively easy climbs. Generally you climb about 1/2 in the beginning in one shot, then the other half up a easy fire-road. Of course, that only gives you one loop. You can certainly climb back and loop other trails you missed and get a lot of vertical. But, Demo is way out there from the North Bay.

If your group is more XC Skeggs gets my vote. If your group is in search up Jumps and is all about screaming down >> DEMO..

My 2 cents --
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck
    If your crew is downhill oriented - Demo. XC/climbing oriented - Skeggs.
    That's a good way to put it. Though, to clarify, the term "XC" there does include plenty of nice and flowy technical singletracks descents at Skeggs, if you pick your route well.

If you're the kind of rider for whom speed traps would be an issue, then by all means, heed the warning about radar guns and head to Demo (though I'm personally yet to see a single instance of enforcement at Skeggs; but others obviously seem to have).

Barring that, my personal preference would be Skeggs, for the wider variety and larger amount of trails, as well as proximity (why not try the closer option first?)...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Both are awesome. I think that Skeggs is a little harder to navigate if it's your first time there. Skeggs leans a bit more XC, Demo can go from XC to "Freeride" depending on how/what you ride . I think those two and Annadel make up the three best spots in the greater bay area. I would recommend trying to get a guide for Skeggs though if possible as experiences can vary wildly based on route. The routes at Demo are easier to understand in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Go to DEMO this Sunday and get the free tour w/ MBOSC, ROMP, & MORCA.
    From ROMP list:

Meet at 9:30AM by the Bridge on Highland Way due to the parking lot being closed. We meet at 9:30, and the ride starts at 10:00AM. We leave pretty much on time so please arrive early if you want to ride with us.

The trails we ride vary, but it will include lots of uphill and lots of downhill single track! You can expect 15+ miles and 2500+ feet of climbing. This is a social no drop ride. We regroup after long climbs and descents. After the ride we frequently hang out and enjoy snacks and beverages, and then head to the Summit Store for lunch.

swag ho Administrator
    Do Skeggs. It is absolutely incredible right now with a lot of moist trails. There's a couple puddles even.

The key is have a guide or have a really good route. Skeggs can be the best or the suck depending on the route.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Do Skeggs. It is absolutely incredible right now with a lot of moist trails. There's a couple puddles even.

The key is have a guide or have a really good route. Skeggs can be the best or the suck depending on the route.

fc
    what this guy said.

If you could only ride one, I would say Demo for sure, but you living in the area eventually have to do both. Save Demo for after the first bit of rain (but before the big rains make it sloppy). Its a bit dry right now. Skeggs on the otherhand gets lots of fog and I believe is nice right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for all the input!

Iíll definitely push for Skeggs - I'm not a fan of stunts or jumps.

We wonít have a guide but Iíll try to follow this route. Is that a fairly non confusing loop?

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by zerkmxl

We wonít have a guide but Iíll try to follow this route. Is that a fairly non confusing loop?
    That's a great introductory route, and all the trail intersections are sign-posted.

Sierra Morena to Blue blossom is a really fun, swoopy downhill, and Manzanita has lots of rocks to play on. (don't worry, most people don't clean the big rock gardens in both directions - hike a bike is fine, lol).

The main attractions at Skeggs are Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution, and Giant Salamander. Unfortunately, it's impossible to put together a (reasonable) route that does them all in the correct, downhill direction
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    There are a couple of sections of that route that could pose navigational challenges.

The bigger problem is from Blue Blossom to Manzanita. There's a quick succession of about six turns that you need to take there without any mistake in order to stay on course. I don't remember off the top of my head whether they're all marked well. I'd be careful. (Or use a GPS.)

The lesser issue might be traversing the three junctions you go through to get to Blue Blossom from Bear Gulch Road. This is not nearly as confusing as the former section, but you could still make a mistake if you don't count/follow the turns correctly (which I didn't once and ended up following Lawrence Creek Trail all the way down—not a bad trail, but it's a whole different ride...).
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Also, haint no tweakers at Skeggs

Edit: Yeah, best to have someone that knows give you a tour so you dont end up bombing down some crazy fireroad or getting lost. It's not that hard to navigate, but its best to go with someone that can put together a tour.
    Last edited by J; 09-10-2010 at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member

I’ll definitely push for Skeggs - I'm not a fan of stunts or jumps.

We won’t have a guide but I’ll try to follow this route. Is that a fairly non confusing loop?
    Here is a video map of your loop - http://www.destinationproductions.co..._SM/index.html- there is a 3 minute v/o description in the beginning. I wouldn't watch any more than that. Maybe click each trail head and a view 30 seconds to see what the beginning looks like. The only difference is you should Park at CM03 so you end with single track..I rode from my house but wanted to show the main lot...

Anyway when I shot this it was supper muddy
    Jt

mtbr member

Any interest in a Carpool? Fremont to Demo?

Quote Originally Posted by normonster
    Go to DEMO this Sunday and get the free tour w/ MBOSC, ROMP, & MORCA.
    From ROMP list:

Meet at 9:30AM by the Bridge on Highland Way due to the parking lot being closed. We meet at 9:30, and the ride starts at 10:00AM. We leave pretty much on time so please arrive early if you want to ride with us.

The trails we ride vary, but it will include lots of uphill and lots of downhill single track! You can expect 15+ miles and 2500+ feet of climbing. This is a social no drop ride. We regroup after long climbs and descents. After the ride we frequently hang out and enjoy snacks and beverages, and then head to the Summit Store for lunch.
    My last ride there was during Trailhead's SC demo back in May. I hooked up with a few from MBOSC and had a blast. Since that was the last ride I've done there in years having a guide was good. I can take up to four bikes if anyone is interested.

Team Chilidog!

I looked at that route. Does it go counterclockwise? That would make sense, but I'm not sure that goes the downhill (e.g. right way) on Blue Blossom.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Coming over the hill, driving to Aptos/Nisene is almost as quick as going the conventional way to Demo.

Makes it a pretty big mileage day but route choices are vast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We rode Skeggs this morning. Ended up meeting some guys at Skeggs Point who were gracious enough to give us a tour of the place. I think we did the following route:
    Sierra Morena
    Blue Blossom
    Crossover/Crosscut
    Timberview
    Giant Salamander
    Methuselah
    North Leaf
    El Corte de Madera
    Resolution
    Fir
    And Tafoni - I think…for a total close to 14 miles

Our original group of 6 grew to fairly large group - totaling 10. Thanks to Dean, Perry, Jose and Efren (hope I got the names right). I got the feeling they weren’t planning on doing that big of a loop today.

Anyway, it was very fun and flowy but it seems we didn’t pick a technical route. I don’t recall any rock gardens whatsoever.

The uphill ending seemed to leave me a bit more beat than a typical ride were the uphill is first.

We will definitely come back here. Thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by zerkmxl; 09-13-2010 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Skeggs is a great place. If you like jumps, logs, drop offs, and technical trials, you will definately love Demo. If you do goto demo, make sure you hit corral and braille, you will never ride anywhere else again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, 2 rock garden-ish places are either lower Fir or Manzanita, neither of which you hit. And the super-technical stuff, some of the most technical in the Bay Area actually, is to do Resolution to North leaf to South Leaf. On the 'Bike Map Dude' maps, south leaf gets double-black diamond and basically nothing else does in the Bay Area. Its great to say you can do Resolution -> North Leaf -> South Leaf without putting a foot down once. I still have one downhill section in South Leaf I'm still working on, otherwise I think I have it.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    The uphill ending seemed to leave me a bit more beat than a typical ride were the uphill is first.
    That's why I prefer to start the ride from CM08. You start the ride by climbing North Leaf, El Corte de Madera and Resolution. Then have your fun near the top and end the ride with Giant Salamander and down then up on Methuselah. I typically try to hit Manzanita to get my technical riding fix.

Travis
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    The main attractions at Skeggs are Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution, and Giant Salamander. Unfortunately, it's impossible to put together a (reasonable) route that does them all in the correct, downhill direction
    Here's my best attempt at it. Takes some time, but it's well worth the effort. Just clip out that last bit with North Leaf and you're golden!

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    Here's my best attempt at it. Takes some time, but it's well worth the effort. Just clip out that last bit with North Leaf and you're golden!
    Thanks! Will have to try that sometime. Hard to tell what trails/what direction. If you get time to post them, that would be super-cool!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    I hit the stop then rode Sierra Morena loop - so thats missing but I don't think any of the single track is wrong in either direction

Jt

Jt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast